User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get your head out of your ass.

The father came out stating his son was being denied entry on other rides until this ride.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if they didn't let him ride because of his size then BLM would burn down the park?

Get your head out of your ass.

The father came out stating his son was being denied entry on other rides until this ride.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Not cut and dry considering the harness was reportedly still locked after he fell out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is cut and dry to me.  The ride operator fucked up and the park (their insurance) will pay for it.   They will rush to settle because I doubt they have a shot in court unless something comes out that says something along the lines of Tyre bullying his way on.  So far there is no indication of that.

Not cut and dry considering the harness was reportedly still locked after he fell out.

Locked or not, there was room for him to squirt out below it. That should have been noticed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Locked or not, there was room for him to squirt out below it. That should have been noticed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is cut and dry to me.  The ride operator fucked up and the park (their insurance) will pay for it.   They will rush to settle because I doubt they have a shot in court unless something comes out that says something along the lines of Tyre bullying his way on.  So far there is no indication of that.

Locked, but not in an effective position.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
His family just hired Ben Crump
View Quote

And, they are protesting for "justice" for the poor boy...

How/why does everything have to turn into a race, gender, or whatever issue?

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should have been, but that doesn’t mean it’s “cut and dry” that its all on the ride operator.  The fact that the park didn’t even have any weight restrictions even though the manual listed a max weight of 287 proves that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:37:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm guessing most people running the rides at parks can't tell a 287 pounder from a 340 pounder.

When the restraint was locked, but still sitting at a 45 degree angle without coming down farther, someone should have noticed that during the checks and kicked him off, racist or not.

Big boy's lard was compressible enough for him to squirt right out. Kind of like how an octopus can fit its whole body through a tiny hole.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm guessing most people running the rides at parks can't tell a 287 pounder from a 340 pounder.

When the restraint was locked, but still sitting at a 45 degree angle without coming down farther, someone should have noticed that during the checks and kicked him off, racist or not.

Big boy's lard was compressible enough for him to squirt right out. Kind of like how an octopus can fit its whole body through a tiny hole.
View Quote

The point though is the park had zero weight restrictions posted even though the manual stated there was a weight limit of 287 pounds.  A person weighing over 287 pounds in America isn’t exactly a super rare occurrence that a reasonable person thought was unlikely to ever come up.

The ride operator might share SOME of the blame, but the park is on the hook for some, if not most, of it too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes, when you've repeatedly been denied permission to go on various amusement park rides due to your size, your next thought needs to be "guess I'll just stop trying then" rather than "what one can we test out next?"

Especially when the thought after that is "Let's try this one! It says it's got the world's tallest vertical drop!!!"

At some point personal awareness needs to kick in and you shouldn't be hoping that you can skirt the judgement of the kid pushing the "START" button.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:00:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Why I do not like roller coasters or rides like this.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:06:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Agreed. It’s clear from the first part of the video that it wasn’t keeping him in.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:07:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It should have been, but that doesn’t mean it’s “cut and dry” that its all on the ride operator.  The fact that the park didn’t even have any weight restrictions even though the manual listed a max weight of 287 proves that.
View Quote

That’s what happens when you have kids and dirty carnies operating the rides.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:09:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sometimes, when you've repeatedly been denied permission to go on various amusement park rides due to your size, your next thought needs to be "guess I'll just stop trying then" rather than "what one can we test out next?"

Especially when the thought after that is "Let's try this one! It says it's got the world's tallest vertical drop!!!"

At some point personal awareness needs to kick in and you shouldn't be hoping that you can skirt the judgement of the kid pushing the "START" button.

View Quote

Ever been a 14 year old boy? Personal awareness and safety is the last thing on their minds.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:14:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Compressible lard is not something I'd have really thought of as a risk factor.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:23:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ever been a 14 year old boy? Personal awareness and safety is the last thing on their minds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was 14, but I was never stupid. I always had a strong survival instinct. It took me YEARS to convince myself to even go on Space Mountain.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely not cut an dry....

The ride operator could certainly say that he purposely puffed out his chest so that the safety bar was looser and that he purposely leaned forward.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Does anyone have a link to the actual report rather than a story about the report?

Here is a LINK to the manufacturer's operation manual.  

Section 4.5.4 on weight and size says:

There is no minimum weight except physical size, which may prevent the guest from properly beingsecured by the seat and restraint.  According to EN 13814 the maximum passenger weight is 130kg.

I looked up EN 13814 and that is some sort of European Design standard.

So as I see it, the manufacturer said that the ride is good up to 130 kg and not that weight is the absolute limit.

Further, section 4.4 on Rider Walk Through says:

Limitation: Large people: Be careful when seeing if large guests fit into the seats. Check that they fit
within the contours of the seat and the bracket fits properly. If this is not so - Do not let this person ride

So it seems that his height and weight are more about if he fit in the seat.

Speaking of weight, from the pictures, to me, it looks like the kid weighs more than what the dad is saying.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Speaking of weight, from the pictures, to me, it looks like the kid weighs more than what the dad is saying.
View Quote

340 pounds for kid that's 6'5" looks about right to me.

Also, unlike NFL linemen that have body fat percentages around 25%, that kid's fat percentage is probably MUCH higher than that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Also, unlike NFL linemen that have body fat percentages around 25%, that kid's fat percentage is probably MUCH higher than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like more than 340 to me.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like more than 340 to me.

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/03/tyre-sampson-02.png

For comparison: Tyron Smith is 6'5" and weighs 312 with obviously a MUCH lower fat percentage than that kid.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not saying it's all on the operator, just that the operator should have caught that he was too big.

Training and size limits on the part of the park would have helped that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not saying it's all on the operator, just that the operator should have caught that he was too big.

View Quote

I bet the park didn't properly train their employees, as in no reading manuals and such.  Probably just "on the job training" that consisted of "Push this button to start if this light is lit."
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I bet the park didn't properly train their employees, as in no reading manuals and such.  Probably just "on the job training" that consisted of "Push this button to start if this light is lit."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can take one look at the kid in the still, before the ride went up, and recognize that there is a problem, then:

a)  You have a higher IQ than a baked potato
b)  You probably don't run carny rides for a living.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's resting on his blubber and he falls out, it's likely that gravity can pull it down into a locked position. Meaning that it didn't lock until he was gone. Also likely the kid was grabbing onto it as he slid out, pulling it down until it "clicked". We'll never know.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If it's resting on his blubber and he falls out, it's likely that gravity can pull it down into a locked position. Meaning that it didn't lock until he was gone. Also likely the kid was grabbing onto it as he slid out, pulling it down until it "clicked". We'll never know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or due to the kids shape and malleability the harness was able to “click” even though he wasn’t in safely. This would make sense if the ride had failsafes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. This happened because of a chain of mistakes, any of those mistakes not being made might have saved the kid's life.

Better communication of weight limits, reading a fucking manual, training the operators, operators paying attention instead of flirting with the cutie on the other side of the ride, probably more.

Hell, I hate victim blaming but the kid told his friends things didn't seem right on the way up. If he had said something to the operators before starting it might have saved him.

"WHAT IF"...the two biggest little words in the English language.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:43:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You say design flaw, but I guarantee there was a specification window set for body type and size. Meaning it is more likely that there is no design flaw, but he/the use was outside of the specification.  No design can address every single condition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely sad news.  It looks like he was too large to safely fit or the harness didn't lock down properly.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Capture_JPG-2325939.JPG

That pic really illustrates the design flaw. The smaller guys are essentially harnessed in, the big guy has a massive gap he can be forced out of.

Maybe the workers weren't supposed to let someone that big on the ride?

Not victim blaming, but doesn't look he's pre-disposed to holding himself in with handles and either through posture or girth, a lot of unsupported weight in front of the chair. Yes, design flaws and operator error, but rider wasn't helping situation. Everybody loses in this game.

You say design flaw, but I guarantee there was a specification window set for body type and size. Meaning it is more likely that there is no design flaw, but he/the use was outside of the specification.  No design can address every single condition.

TRUTH
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So the kid was going to off himself, but figured if he might as well do it in a way that allowed his family to win a massive lawsuit?

I mean, I guess it's not 100% outside the realm of possibility...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think he jumped.

So the kid was going to off himself, but figured if he might as well do it in a way that allowed his family to win a massive lawsuit?

I mean, I guess it's not 100% outside the realm of possibility...

Muslims do it all the time
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Amusement park ride harness was still locked after teen's death, Florida report says

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2022/03/29/Florida-amusement-park-ride-death/9871648588859/
View Quote

Well that’s interesting. It definitely makes it harder to know who’s at fault.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Agreed, didn’t mean to call you out, just wanted to clarify. 30 yards doesn’t sound that high
View Quote

I saw a guy fall from ~30 yards up, while free climbing, landed on his back. Idk the outcome. I was just a little kid and we left asap afterwards.  If he didn't die I'm certain he had serious brain damage. He didn't make a noise on the way down, we heard a thump, turned around and he was laying there not moving.

30 yards up is plenty high enough to kill someone, especially depending on how they land and what they kind on.

I knew a guy almost died just from falling off a ladder,  broken ribs punctured his lung.

Knew another guy almost died playing sports when another guy fell on him, broken rib punctured his spleen.

Despite what you see in movies, anything more than ~12 feet up carries serious risk of injury even if you land correctly.

That's only 4 yards.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
According to ICON Park's website, the Orlando Free Fall ride, a free-standing drop tower, is meant to stand at 430 feet and can carry up to 30 riders.

"We operate the ride with all the safety precaution in mind," Stine said, adding the boy was secured in a safety harness at the time of incident.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/14-year-old-dies-fall-ride-orlandos-icon-park-rcna21505

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP5hLZlEUB0
View Quote

Wow, that is an amazingly bad design.

I can see how the harness would  not close all the way on a fat person, letting them slid through when it hits the brakes.

Tilting the rider forward for more scare factor is a fatal design flaw.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why I do not like roller coasters or rides like this.
View Quote

Never have and don't understand people that do.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

"Always sue everyone even marginally involved" seems to be the mantra lawyers use.
View Quote

Rightfully so…
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#33]
If I didnt fit in my bed, school bus seat, any car back seat, my desk, most restaurant booths, ect... I sure as hell am not pushing my luck on that thing. Yikes I worked at Bush Gardens for a few weeks, training was not great.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Bottom line is this, successful designs for this ride have a strap with a buckle that backs up the over the shoulder restraint. There’s absolutely no reason to skimp on such an essential safety feature.
That coupled with the ride attendant no doing the proper checks and or the park not training the attendant what to look for when someone is too big is going to lead to millions of dollars in compensation for this family and for an easily avertable tragedy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I can see how the harness would  not close all the way on a fat person, letting them slid through when it hits the brakes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to ICON Park's website, the Orlando Free Fall ride, a free-standing drop tower, is meant to stand at 430 feet and can carry up to 30 riders.

"We operate the ride with all the safety precaution in mind," Stine said, adding the boy was secured in a safety harness at the time of incident.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/14-year-old-dies-fall-ride-orlandos-icon-park-rcna21505

Design is actually correct - it was in operation. Read above. Tilting people forward on drops happens on many rides probably 1000s of times per day
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Saw this video on YT. Seems maybe being fat has a negative effect on safety harnesses.

(not graphic, kid is fine)

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can live w/o seeing the video. Unimaginable for a parent.
View Quote

The ride operators are at partly at fault for a total lack of common sense, but the parents share blame here as well; there is no way a kid that fat should be riding on rides like that.   Between the two parties they basically killed him.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That’s a big 14 year old.  Doesn’t even look like the harness is secured all the way.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/2F16CC36-9ADD-47EA-8A5E-A2A5723FF8F6_jpe-2325803.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That’s a big 14 year old.  Doesn’t even look like the harness is secured all the way.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258158/2F16CC36-9ADD-47EA-8A5E-A2A5723FF8F6_jpe-2325803.JPG

Dayum, he was a big boy for 14. Just by seeing that pic I can see how he slid out. Sucks.

Quoted:
Left cold. Not too graphic as it's blurred

https://m.imgur.com/a/8W3rVfE

Oof.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:14:55 PM EDT
[#39]
New news: https://www.wftv.com/news/local/tyre-sampsons-death-team-investigators-give-update-orlando-drop-tower-investigation-today/D4DLDMGRTZCUFF62DWGMFF6I7Y/

ORLANDO, Fla. — Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried on Monday released a report, shedding light on the death of Tyre Sampson, 14, who fell from the Orlando FreeFall ride at ICON Park on March 24.

The report revealed that the ride’s operator made manual adjustments, resulting in it being unsafe, Fried said.

She said adjustments were made to the “sensor of the seat in question to allow the harness restraint opening to be almost double that of the normal restraint opening range.”

Investigators said the normal space between a safety harness and exit of the seat is 3.33 inches while Tyre’s seat was 7.19 inches

Fried said the adjustment allowed safety lights to “illuminate, improperly, satisfying the ride’s electronic safety mechanism that allowed the ride to operate, even tough Mr. Sampson was not properly secured in the seat.”
View Quote

Oops...
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Unless they have the kid in video doing it instead of a park employee that's going to seal the deal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
New news: https://www.wftv.com/news/local/tyre-sampsons-death-team-investigators-give-update-orlando-drop-tower-investigation-today/D4DLDMGRTZCUFF62DWGMFF6I7Y/

ORLANDO, Fla. — Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried on Monday released a report, shedding light on the death of Tyre Sampson, 14, who fell from the Orlando FreeFall ride at ICON Park on March 24.

The report revealed that the ride’s operator made manual adjustments, resulting in it being unsafe, Fried said.

She said adjustments were made to the “sensor of the seat in question to allow the harness restraint opening to be almost double that of the normal restraint opening range.”

Investigators said the normal space between a safety harness and exit of the seat is 3.33 inches while Tyre’s seat was 7.19 inches

Fried said the adjustment allowed safety lights to “illuminate, improperly, satisfying the ride’s electronic safety mechanism that allowed the ride to operate, even tough Mr. Sampson was not properly secured in the seat.”

Oops...
Well shit.
Every now and then the ambulance chasers are the good guys.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Yikes...poor family is about to rape the park and its insurer for millions and it seems to be wholly justified.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#44]
That's a horrible way to go.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unfortunately, rationality comes more with age. 14 is still a kid, no matter how big. At that point, he was probably just glad he could finally ride something with the friends he went with, after having to stand by the wayside watching them have all the fun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if the riders are within the design constraints.

Apparently, the manufacturer does have a critch strap option, but the park chose to forgo it (probably thinking it would make for faster loading/unloading). That ONE thing would've prevented this.  

As I mentioned previously, EVERY crotch strap I've seen is not adjustable. It's a fixed length. If it can't buckle, the person can't ride. It's an automatic limiter for the maximum safe locked position for the ride.

Between the crotch hump and harness dip, every other normal size range passenger had only a 2" - 4" gap, making it impossible to slip through. This kid was so big, there looked to be at least an 18" gap. Big enough to slip through because fat is squishy.

If the design ensured that there was no locking position that left a gap greater than 4",  that would've prevented this accident too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Oops...

Whichever lawyer gets this case it's going to be like hitting the lotto.  He'll be able to sleepwalk his way to an 8 figure payday.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Just thinking about similar rides and safety harnesses, how many fat people before the harnesses is compromised?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:26:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Not if the riders are within the design constraints.

Apparently, the manufacturer does have a critch strap option, but the park chose to forgo it (probably thinking it would make for faster loading/unloading). That ONE thing would've prevented this.  

As I mentioned previously, EVERY crotch strap I've seen is not adjustable. It's a fixed length. If it can't buckle, the person can't ride. It's an automatic limiter for the maximum safe locked position for the ride.

Between the crotch hump and harness dip, every other normal size range passenger had only a 2" - 4" gap, making it impossible to slip through. This kid was so big, there looked to be at least an 18" gap. Big enough to slip through because fat is squishy.

If the design ensured that there was no locking position that left a gap greater than 4",  that would've prevented this accident too.
View Quote

I'm with you, that looked more like 18" than 7".
Seems like it would be hard to squeeze that kid through a 7" hole.

And according to his buddy, he figured out on the way up that he might just go flying out of his seat at the bottom.
Is there any way to get the attention of the operator and abort the mission once it's started?
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

She said adjustments were made to the "sensor of the seat in question to allow the harness restraint opening to be almost double that of the normal restraint opening range."

Oops...
View Quote
Throw a manslaughter charge in there also?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top