Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, there it is.  Fat boy just got away with another freebie.
2800 miles damn near straight up and (apparently) a successful re-entry

Great
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It was determined by the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) that the missile "did not pose a threat to North America, our territories or our allies," Pentagon spokesman Col. Robert Manning III told Fox News.

Great
Interesting interpretation. My interpretation of that statement is that that particular launch was not a specific danger to us. I don't see any comment as to the general idea their capability improvement being a threat.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just tuning in.

Fuck are you for real?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one went 1300km. This one went 2800km which can now reach the middle of America.
Just tuning in.

Fuck are you for real?
Does not compute. Landed off coast of Japan != (or even close) to CONUS. What gives?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Starting up fallout 4 on the PS4 to get ready

Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do we even have hundreds of them?
View Quote
I know that production of the JASSM-ER was already ramping up a year ago.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Does not compute. Landed off coast of Japan != (or even close) to CONUS. What gives?
View Quote
Go back and read the last few pages.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
NK working with Iran. If we hit NK, shouldn't we hit Iran at same time?
View Quote
Obama's "nuclear deal" ensured that any future attack on Iran will be very costly to the US, unless we use something very different and non-conventional.  They have been buying large amounts of very high-tech AMD stuff, focusing as much or more on defense as on offense (unlike DPRK).  If you think we can simply fly in and bomb them at will as a first wave, like we've done in all of our recent conflicts, you are wrong.

Thanks, Obama.

On the bright side, if we successfully take our the DPRK regime and their WMD capabilities, that could conceivably greatly help with the looming crisis with Iran.  Anyone remember Libya's response after we invaded Iraq, for example?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last one went 1300km. This one went 2800km which can now reach the middle of America.
Just tuning in.

Fuck are you for real?
Extrapolation.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just tuning in.

Fuck are you for real?
Outer space bruh
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]
RSBN already started the feed.

linky
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can reach anywhere in the world now according to Maddox.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well there ya go.

Which Potassium Iodide pills I need?
Fox said it could reach any city in the continental United States.
Can reach anywhere in the world now according to Maddox.
A kilometer is roughly .6 miles.

Link Posted: 11/28/2017 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just tuning in.

Fuck are you for real?
Flight time plus trajectory = CONUS.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck. I have friends in Des Moines.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
War never changes
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhhh......
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We'll eat a nuke before we go hot.
View Quote
Yup. Dod as a whole is straight puss.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#16]
South Korea fired a missile into the water as a response. Interesting, but means nothing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Uhhhh......
View Quote
It was a joke, son, a joke.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Interesting interpretation. My interpretation of that statement is that that particular launch was not a specific danger to us. I don't see any comment as to the general idea their capability improvement being a threat.
View Quote
What concerns me is they’ve figured out how to keep one intact through re-entry.
Which if I understand correctly is (at least part of) what they’ve been lacking
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Great
View Quote
2800m, or km?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
War never changes
http://brandthunder.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/fallout-3-chrome-theme-lone-wanderer.jpeg

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
2800m, or km?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great
2800m, or km?
Per article on Fox

The ICBM flew nearly 2,800 miles into space, according to Yonhap. NASA's International Space Station only orbits the Earth from 250 miles into space.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#22]
LOL.  Look honey!  Don't forget to look directly at it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:12:46 PM EDT
[#24]
On Trump's short comment: he said something like we will handle it. We have Mattis working on it.  Sort of implies that it is in the the military's hands now?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
On Trump's short comment: he said something like we will handle it. We have Mattis working on it.  Sort of implies that it is in the the military's hands now?
View Quote
That was my interpretation. Seems like an odd way to say that, though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Heheheheheheheh........Nodong.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#27]
That's a serious goddamned threat now that can reach anywhere in the US, and it's in the hands of someone completely dysfunctional.

We have to act, for multiple reasons. We cannot allow NK to remain unscathed with this because doing so sends the message to Iran (a sponsor of the NK program) that it can have the same.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Those sanctions seem to be doing a good job
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not really.  He has said that he is deferring to them for military shit because they are the experts on that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not really.  He has said that he is deferring to them for military shit because they are the experts on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That part isn't odd. Effectively telling the world this is no longer a diplomatic issue that way is what is odd.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When is Trump finally going to push NK's shit in?
View Quote
We won't hear about it until it's done.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That part isn't odd. Effectively telling the world this is no longer a diplomatic issue that way is what is odd.
View Quote
Well...  He does it differently.  We all know that.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#33]
If the stated altitude of 2800 miles is accurate, it should be capable of reaching virtually all of CONUS.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do we even have hundreds of them?
View Quote
Yes.

According to posters in the know here.
Just not mentioned in this thread yet.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
While they are protecting him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
China needs to spank fat boy.
While they are protecting him.
I think China is encouraging him.

It gives China a bargaining chip vs the USA regarding all the rhetoric on trade.... Allowing them to keep the one-sided trade deals.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Most of the newer, better missiles can actually follow a non-ballistic trajectory in order to help defeat interception.  In other words, friendly systems see missile and can calculate that "ballistic arc" it would follow, plotting the target location and thus allowing various intercept efforts.  Keep in mind that a missile that isn't deemed a threat to a defended asset will likely not even have an attempt at interception, due to limited systems, launchers, interceptors, etc.  The missile, however, can then alter its flight path, undershooting or overshooting or even introducing lateral movement from that plotted course- reducing the time to then recalculate and intercept it successfully if you guessed wrong initially.  Trying to shoot down everything virtually guarantees you will run out of interceptors against a savvy foe so it is a game of move and counter-move throughout the entire process.
View Quote
Thanks to all that have answered my question.

I just always thought when someone said ballistic missile it was always mean as solid fuel like a giant model rocket. So that leads me to my next question. Is their a such thing as a solid fuel missile?

Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If the stated altitude of 2800 miles is accurate, it should be capable of reaching virtually all of CONUS, including outlying territories.
View Quote
FIFY
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Short of overt action, what else can we do that we aren’t already doing?
Is a physical (naval) blockade an option?
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:24:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I just always thought when someone said ballistic missile it was always mean as solid fuel like a giant model rocket. So that leads me to my next question. Is their a such thing as a solid fuel missile?

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0IsIsuNJly1evlIY/giphy.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most of the newer, better missiles can actually follow a non-ballistic trajectory in order to help defeat interception.  In other words, friendly systems see missile and can calculate that "ballistic arc" it would follow, plotting the target location and thus allowing various intercept efforts.  Keep in mind that a missile that isn't deemed a threat to a defended asset will likely not even have an attempt at interception, due to limited systems, launchers, interceptors, etc.  The missile, however, can then alter its flight path, undershooting or overshooting or even introducing lateral movement from that plotted course- reducing the time to then recalculate and intercept it successfully if you guessed wrong initially.  Trying to shoot down everything virtually guarantees you will run out of interceptors against a savvy foe so it is a game of move and counter-move throughout the entire process.

All our .mil stuff is solid fuel.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Rocket man is seriously pushing his luck.

When Trump takes CHAOS off his leash it’s going to be epic.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#41]
MISS!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Norks have better bargaining power than you do.  If you had an Army poised on the border of one of our allies, I bet you could have a new FA gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We let the Norks have nukes and ballistic missiles

But I cant buy a new FA gun
The Norks have better bargaining power than you do.  If you had an Army poised on the border of one of our allies, I bet you could have a new FA gun.
Starve one half of your family and kill your other half.  Now shit on your neighbors

Now you can own a FA
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
2800m, or km?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great
2800m, or km?
Miles.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#44]
I fear that we are being dragged toward a precipice.

We have dealt with other nuclear powers in the past.  NK is unlike any power we have dealt with.

This is a country that has conducted purges and executions.  They have lined up people in front of anti-aircraft guns or flamethrowers to kill them.  They have reportedly executed whole family lines on occasion to make the political ranks more pure.

He has had what he feared could be potential rivals executed outside of his own country's borders in a public setting.

Now they are apparently making leaps and bounds with their missile and warhead programs.

Even when previously dealing with the Russians and to a lesser degree the Chinese, there was more stability and restraint amongst the powers.

What kind of release authority protocols and command and control do you think the North Koreans have?

The reality of North Korea having nuclear weapons should scare the shit out of us.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#45]
We need to do the same as in the Cuban missile crisis....any missile launches from NK will be considered launches from China....and let that be known to the Chinese formally at the highest levels. The Cuban/Soviet relationship is much the same as the NK/China proxy state relationship. China could stop this now if they wanted...they choose not to- for now.

Therefore as of today we should tell the Chi-coms that $10 billion in Chinese goods will be turned away at ports arriving in the US. The next missile launch from China's proxy state means that number jumps to $100 billion in trade stopped from entering the US.

Do this and now we have China's attention and they have some skin in the game to stop NK from taking pot-shots at US allies. We have a much much bigger responsibility to protect Japan than any other nation as it was the US who disarmed them and promised protections for them under their post war Constitution.

This act should be considered no different than a Nork missile crashing onto the coast of Hawaii (missed, but they will try again- what happens when NK hits a Japanese city)?

Meanwhile we now have reason to base 1000 new anti-missile batteries and 100 new nuke silos in both SK and Japan....if China does not want this to happen then we expect them to do something to control their child they are feeding and arming.

If the former Soviet Union was to be held accountable for helping to arm Cuba and any belligerence that came from Cuba to attack the US or a US ally, then China should be held to the same accountability in regards to the Norks now.

If China believes it is about to loose its golden goose (US trade) then we will see them getting off their ass  for a change.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In on one!

What’s the difference between a ballistic missile and a regular missile?

Is it solid fuel vs liquid?
View Quote
A ballistic missile has an unpowered phase, where it is a "ballistic" object, as opposed to say, an AIM 9 AA missile, where the motor is burning for the entire flight to terminus.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes.

"Ballistic" just means that it follows a ballistic trajectory (like a bullet) and doesn't quite have enough energy to reach orbit.

Most modern ICBMs are solid fueled. Like a large multi-stage Estes rocket.

Solid rockets are dense, high thrust and easily storable, but they have a low ISP (exhaust velocity), meaning you need a higher fuel fraction and/or more stages to reach a specific velocity.

Some ICBMs use storable hypergolic fuels (this NK ICBM does) they have higher ISP than solids, but are toxic as fuck. Hypergolics self-ignite, the common ones are Hydrazine+N2O4, Aerozine50+N2O4, or nitric acid. Russia still uses hypergolics for a lot of it's ICBMs, but the US have been all-solid for decades. NK had 'help' from Ukraine (Yuzhnoye) developing it's hypergolic rocket engine.

Other liquid fuels(Kerosine+O2, H2+O2, CH4+02) are cryogenic or semi-cryogenic, and can't be stored on the rocket, so they haven't been used on ICBMs for a long time. They have much better performance though.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Those sanctions seem to be doing a good job
View Quote
Sort of like gun control.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We need to do the same as in the Cuban missile crisis....any missile launches from NK will be considered launches from China....and let that be known to the Chinese formally at the highest levels. The Cuban/Soviet relationship is much the same as the NK/China proxy state relationship. China could stop this now if they wanted...they choose not to- for now.

Therefore as of today we should tell the Chi-coms that $10 billion in Chinese goods will be turned away at ports arriving in the US. The next missile launch from China's proxy state means that number jumps to $100 billion in trade stopped from entering the US.

Do this and now we have China's attention and they have some skin in the game to stop NK from taking pot-shots at US allies. We have a much much bigger responsibility to protect Japan than any other nation as it was the US who disarmed them and promised protections for them under their post war Constitution.

This act should be considered no different than a Nork missile crashing onto the coast of Hawaii (missed, but they will try again- what happens when NK hits a Japanese city)?

Meanwhile we now have reason to base 1000 new anti-missile batteries and 100 new nuke silos in both SK and Japan....if China does not want this to happen then we expect them to do something to control their child they are feeding and arming.

If the former Soviet Union was to be held accountable for helping to arm Cuba and any belligerence that came from Cuba to attack the US or a US ally, then China should be held to the same accountability in regards to the Norks now.

If China believes it is about to loose its golden goose (US trade) then we will see them getting off their ass  for a change.
View Quote
Yeah, but what about the new Iphone?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top