BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Extreme fun to catch on light tackle and the best tasting freshwater fish.

Does that answer the question?
View Quote
I'd put walleye and maybe even pike above gills as far as taste but they are all delicious.  Just plain old fried walleye>gills>pike but the bigger cuts you can get from a pike give you more options.

Trout and Salmon too but I often times don't really put those in the same category for whatever reason...
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hungarian bream looks a lot like American carp.

Supposed to taste good though, especially smaller ones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Yup, one after the other.

I've only had bream once in my life.  Ironically, it was in Hungary when I was a kid.  We went to a market and they had them there freshly fried.  I just remember it tasted awesome.  We don't have bream around here which is sad.  But we have white and yellow perch that are also awesome fried.

One thing about frying a fish whole is you can flake off all the meat from the bones.  Delicious!

This is what the bream looked like in Hungary:

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/18/e9/fb/e8/keszeg.jpg

@shack357

They are different fish though.  I've had carp which is "ponty" in Hungarian which, as you know, look like this:

Bream in Hungarian is "keszeg" and looks like this:

They're both Cyprinids which have a similar appearance to each other, but they are distinct fish.

Here in the U.S., the word "bream", while many times referring to a specific fish, is often used in the sense of "panfish".  But the latter grouping of fish all have specific names (Sunfish, Crappie, etc).

This is just my observations.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
@C-4

Are you the guy who is raising catfish ?
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@shack357

They are different fish though.  I've had carp which is "ponty" in Hungarian which, as you know, look like this:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dURXelQjLHI/maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8b/42/56/8b4256d9908087b3529f6392169b94e2.jpg

They're both Cyprinids which have a similar appearance to each other, but they are distinct fish.

Here in the U.S., the word "bream", while many times referring to a specific fish, is often used in the sense of "panfish".  But the latter grouping of fish all have specific names (Sunfish, Crappie, etc).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Yup, one after the other.

I've only had bream once in my life.  Ironically, it was in Hungary when I was a kid.  We went to a market and they had them there freshly fried.  I just remember it tasted awesome.  We don't have bream around here which is sad.  But we have white and yellow perch that are also awesome fried.

One thing about frying a fish whole is you can flake off all the meat from the bones.  Delicious!

This is what the bream looked like in Hungary:

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/18/e9/fb/e8/keszeg.jpg

@shack357

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/dURXelQjLHI/maxresdefault.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8b/42/56/8b4256d9908087b3529f6392169b94e2.jpg

Cool. Pretty sure I'd eat it if it was on a plate in front of me. Always wanted to try carp too, never had the motivation to cut up a 10 pound fish just for a sample though.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I caught this Black Crappie in a little pond between Platte City and KCI (MCI) 41 years ago when I was 12.  I received a Missouri Master Angler award for it.

Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Caught at least 3 dozen of them on Christmas Day with the kids. Always a blast.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a little hole on the Brazos about 7 miles south of the Lake Whitney dam where in April to early May you don't even need bait. Drop a bare hook and catch perch on every.. Not even cast.. Drop a hook.

Fish fry EBT. It's retarded.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

Oh yeah!
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I toss everything back, so for me it don't matter what I catch or fish for.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@C-4

View Quote
@Swampgrass

Yes.  I need to update that.  I didn't get them to breed this past season.

I've decided to keep them outdoors for the winter, against my better judgement.

They grew too much so there is no way I can keep all of them (20+) inside.  So they are in their 550 gallon tank with the water filtering through 250 gallons of expanded shale media and then into a sump tank that has the pump that sends the water back to the fish tank.  I can keep fish in the sump tank but don't have any there at the moment.

I put silvered bubble wrap type insulation around all of the tanks.  I also have tarps over the tops of them to help keep the cold air off them.  The 1" water return tubing has pipe foam insulation around them and then a layer of silvered bubble wrap insulation.  Only one of the return tubes is on.  The other one is identical in every way including a pump but is only there as back-up if the other tube/pump fails.  It was just easier designing it with two pumps and two water lines than trying to mess with it in freezing weather in the middle of February.  I can easily keep the tank 20 to 25F above ambient with an 800W electric heater.  It has a thermostat that controls it.  On really cold nights, I will drain out some water and add hot water from a tap in the house through a hose.  My plan is to keep the tank at ~ 50F until the middle of January.  I will continue to feed them until then and then from mid-January until end of February I will let the temperature drop to 40F and feed very little, if at all.  Then resume feeding, hoping that they don't lose much weight, which they shouldn't at that temperature since their metabolism will really slow down.

I have a separate 300 gallon stock tank that houses is single large male.  That would be the breeding tank if I can get a female to produce eggs.  In the last picture, you can see the male tank in the top right of the picture.  It's the 300 gallon one.

Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#12]
How Dare You! I get my fish from McDonald’s in the form of a Filet-O-Fish. I’m outraged!!
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 9:39:54 AM EDT
[#13]
FPNI

I love bream, but I like shellcrackers better.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Dur, no tuna or grouper around here.

I throw 100% of the fish I catch back in so cleaning them isn't an issue either
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Because it's a whole lot of fun horsing a 5 lb. bass into the boat with a cane pole.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here is one for you OP

up in the great white north we sit on buckets on top of a frozen lake to catch them.

View Quote
Oh HELL yeah!
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'd put walleye and maybe even pike above gills as far as taste but they are all delicious.  Just plain old fried walleye>gills>pike but the bigger cuts you can get from a pike give you more options.

Trout and Salmon too but I often times don't really put those in the same category for whatever reason...
View Quote
It's not fair to put the greatest tasting freshwater fish on the planet (walleye) in the same sentence as the other delicious fish you mentioned.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

@shack357

View Quote
That looks like a shad.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Bream are yummy.  Sometimes your fishing for Bass and end up with bream without trying.

Maybe it's a Southern thing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I want to know why people bother fishing for bream when they could just fish for something with a lot more meat on it like a Grouper or even a big Tuna? Bream are so small and so little meat and all that bone and having to scale and gut each one. It's just nuts!
View Quote
Maaaan... I thought this thread was going to be entirely different.

Because if we are going fishing for female Fox News hotties, I am in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Because fishing is fishing, if you enjoy it, you enjoy it.

Not to mention, I personally have never been able to mandate what fish take the bait and what ones don't.
View Quote
This!  Catching little fish is just as fun as catching big fish.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
@Swampgrass

They grew too much so there is no way I can keep all of them (20+) inside.  So they are in their 550 gallon tank with the water filtering through 250 gallons of expanded shale media and then into a sump tank that has the pump that sends the water back to the fish tank.  I can keep fish in the sump tank but don't have any there at the moment.

I put silvered bubble wrap type insulation around all of the tanks.  I also have tarps over the tops of them to help keep the cold air off them.  The 1" water return tubing has pipe foam insulation around them and then a layer of silvered bubble wrap insulation.  Only one of the return tubes is on.  The other one is identical in every way including a pump but is only there as back-up if the other tube/pump fails.  It was just easier designing it with two pumps and two water lines than trying to mess with it in freezing weather in the middle of February.  I can easily keep the tank 20 to 25F above ambient with an 800W electric heater.  It has a thermostat that controls it.  On really cold nights, I will drain out some water and add hot water from a tap in the house through a hose.  My plan is to keep the tank at ~ 50F until the middle of January.  I will continue to feed them until then and then from mid-January until end of February I will let the temperature drop to 40F and feed very little, if at all.  Then resume feeding, hoping that they don't lose much weight, which they shouldn't at that temperature since their metabolism will really slow down.

I have a separate 300 gallon stock tank that houses is single large male.  That would be the breeding tank if I can get a female to produce eggs.  In the last picture, you can see the male tank in the top right of the picture.  It's the 300 gallon one.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/60E928AA-BA2A-4E0A-AD5B-C90450D72F47-1210985.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/E3B5F396-4815-4EB1-907B-5F4F7A537341-1210983.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/9AD7646B-473F-4730-BC97-D29AC390DC5F-1210984.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/10F001F1-8257-4C02-AC8F-0B82C4259891-1210989.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/49025987-D4E6-4645-82C9-DE8D8EF1FDB2-1210987.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@C-4

@Swampgrass

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/60E928AA-BA2A-4E0A-AD5B-C90450D72F47-1210985.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/E3B5F396-4815-4EB1-907B-5F4F7A537341-1210983.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/9AD7646B-473F-4730-BC97-D29AC390DC5F-1210984.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/10F001F1-8257-4C02-AC8F-0B82C4259891-1210989.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36246/49025987-D4E6-4645-82C9-DE8D8EF1FDB2-1210987.jpg
Awesome, thanks for the update. In the spring I'll be looking forward to more pics.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I keep stocking our pond with grouper and tuna - it just doesn’t well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Because hooking up 1 lb. bream on ultra-light tackle is a heck of a good time!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Crappie fishing is some of the most fun I've ever had.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Because it's cheap, you can pretty much do it anywhere there's water, they fight like nothing else their size, and they're delicious.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I dont like eating fish, just catching them and you can catch massive numbers of them.  My best is 118 in an hour and a half.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top