Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2018 5:34:55 PM EDT
Nine months or so ago, I bought a Bulldog pistol vault that looks like this:

Not sure the model number as I lost the instruction manual, but that image looks like it so it's probably the 4040.

I largely left it alone since installing it, but went to get into it today and the buttons on top don't work.  I thought that maybe the batteries were dead, so I unlocked the vault with the key and replaced the batteries (replaced Energizer AA with Energizer Lithium AA).  When I inserted the batteries, the blue rings around the buttons lit up and the vault beeped, but when I press the buttons nothing happens.

Is anybody here familiar with these?  I'm glad it wasn't an emergency that caused me to need to open it. I don't know if the thing is just a piece of junk or if it just needs reprogramming (though, why would the buttons do nothing if that were the case).  I cannot find an instruction manual online to try to reprogram a code.

Does anybody have experience with these and know what might be wrong or how to reprogram it?  I haven't called the company yet as this just happened and I'm leaving soon and don't want to spend the next hour on hold.  I also haven't tried the rfid key as that's locked in a safe (don't like the idea of somebody just taking my key ring and being able to get into it so I don't use the rfid).  I did look on their website hoping to find an online instruction manual, but failed, so if anybody has a link to one of those, that would be great, too.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a couple people on Amazon reviews had similar issues. 

It's dead.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nine months or so ago, I bought a Bulldog pistol vault that looks like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81sxlaJBryL._SL300_.jpg

Not sure the model number as I lost the instruction manual, but that image looks like it so it's probably the 4040.

I largely left it alone since installing it, but went to get into it today and the buttons on top don't work.  I thought that maybe the batteries were dead, so I unlocked the vault with the key and replaced the batteries (replaced Energizer AA with Energizer Lithium AA).  When I inserted the batteries, the blue rings around the buttons lit up and the vault beeped, but when I press the buttons nothing happens.

Is anybody here familiar with these?  I'm glad it wasn't an emergency that caused me to need to open it. I don't know if the thing is just a piece of junk or if it just needs reprogramming (though, why would the buttons do nothing if that were the case).  I cannot find an instruction manual online to try to reprogram a code.

Does anybody have experience with these and know what might be wrong or how to reprogram it?  I haven't called the company yet as this just happened and I'm leaving soon and don't want to spend the next hour on hold.  I also haven't tried the rfid key as that's locked in a safe (don't like the idea of somebody just taking my key ring and being able to get into it so I don't use the rfid).  I did look on their website hoping to find an online instruction manual, but failed, so if anybody has a link to one of those, that would be great, too.

Thank you.
View Quote
Sounds like its dead. I had a single pistol vault by bulldog I used to keep in the truck. When you press the buttons to enter your code, do the lights blink? The one I had when you entered the wrong code, the lights would blink and then stay illuminated.

Edit: I didn't read that you changed the batteries, if I remember correctly, when the batteries are changed the entry code needs to be reset. At least I think that's how mine was from what I remember.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]
wildearp ~ Thank you. I went and read the reviews (I had bought mine at Cabela's) and it sounds like it's a common problem with them and that it's truly dead.  Even the replacements they send out seem to have the same problem, so not worth even getting it replaced.

EastonHockey20 - When I press a button, nothing happens...no beep, no light, nothing.  I would try to reprogram it, but I lost the manual and don't know how.  Even if I had it, though, I think that it's dead.  I can't imagine the buttons being disabled completely until it's programmed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I admit when I'm wrong, and now it's time to eat some crow.  It turns out that I just plain forgot how to work the thing.  After buying a Ft Knox (which I love, btw) and replacing the Bulldog, I decided to call Bulldog.  In the process of identifying which model I have, I was asked if there was a power button on top...uhh....yeah, I forgot that the "o" in "Bulldog" is a power button the turns on the keypad.  Oops...like I said, I lost the manual and after 6 months of not using it, I forgot that little detail and assumed that the keypad was always active.

Lesson learned...keep your instruction manuals (I always do...this seems to be the one that I have lost in the last 10 years of instruction manuals that I have accumulated).  On the plus side, I now have two vaults.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top