BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what your saying is that the uptick in moderation isn't due to brownells ownership, but the fact that we use amazon servers & they're giving us flack?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
is it really that hard for you to understand?

Goatboy has specifically asked us to make sure this rule is enforced as it is leading to issues with our hosting site.
So what your saying is that the uptick in moderation isn't due to brownells ownership, but the fact that we use amazon servers & they're giving us flack?
That rule has been in place for at least as long as I've been a member, and it predates using AWS. Even if you own the physical servers, the data center they're colocated in will give you the heave-ho if you allow posts that advocate overthrowing the US (or even a state) government. We all know why the 2A exists, but it's pants-on-head retarded to opine on actually applying it in a public forum.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Funny how the vast majority here have no problems staying within the coc.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Goatboy has specifically asked us to make sure this rule is enforced as it is leading to issues with our hosting site.
View Quote
Was this discussed or announced somewhere previously?  I try to keep up with these threads and this is the first time I've seen Amazon brought up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
After the tens of thousands of dollars I've spent through amazon (mostly generated from here) I'm gonna say whatever the fuck I want

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be willing to pay more for my membership to have free speech, if changing hosting sites is expensive.

*I haven't had to buy a membership for three years tho.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You mean like, "the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure."?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Posting something that even remotely hints at overthrowing the current US government...in a public forum...is a monumentally stupid idea. And if your thread is blackholed over it, the staff is doing you a solid.
You mean like, "the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure."?
I would say that using that quote in support of a violent overthrow of the current US government is a really, really, really dumb idea. And if you do it, you should thank the staff member who dissapeared your thread.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That rule has been in place for at least as long as I've been a member, and it predates using AWS. Even if you own the physical servers, the data center they're colocated in will give you the heave-ho if you allow posts that advocate overthrowing the US (or even a state) government. We all know why the 2A exists, but it's pants-on-head retarded to opine on actually applying it in a public forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rightwing gun website gets flak from company founded by leftwing nutjob. Gee, it's not like anyone could have seen that coming.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know the rule has been around and I don’t have any problem with it.

I’m just trying to understand exactly what TBS is saying here.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dupes are allowed though.

I'm gonna go start another COC #4 thread.

Brb
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ar15.com and reddit are becoming too similar

gotta protect that ad money
Dupes are allowed though.

I'm gonna go start another COC #4 thread.

Brb
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#12]
What is the cleanup timeframe that was agreed on before brownells starts using their website?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:36:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The tree of liberty quote?
How about discussing why the 2nd is even necessary?

Are these for real!?!?
View Quote
That's always been the great irony on this site.

"We're pro 2A...promise! Just don't discuss why it exists or any topics where the 2A would actually come in to play."
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, I have made a few tree of Liberty comments and never got my pee pee slapped
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No win situation.  Do nothing, GD continues to be a cesspool.  Crackdown and you get this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This site is on borrowed time.
No win situation.  Do nothing, GD continues to be a cesspool.  Crackdown and you get this.
GD seems way cleaner and more respectful than ever before. People get banned or warned for things now that used to be understood as a joke or just poking at someone. I think was more the Op's point.

I can think of multiple sht posters that would go on for months or years before getting their pee pee slapped in the past.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lots of power to those who control what isn't allowed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What is the cleanup timeframe that was agreed on before brownells starts using their website?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Talking about the truth of the reason for the 2nd Amendment is not acceptable.  How is the weather Comrades.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#19]
We really should only have two rules
1.) Don't be a dick
2.) Don't be an idiot

By trying to get staff to define the rules even more clearly for you, we all know that you're just looking for a new line to toe. Why can't people just act like adults?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#20]
You know how some guys write letters to the BATFE for clarification?

That's what this thread is.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Just the FBI, (as in “just the tip”)
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]
It depends on which mod sees it and what kind of mood they are in.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:41:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Rather than just do this in an IM where only I would benefit from the knowledge, I thought a thread would be better.

COC #4

Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government.

Not a new rule....just perhaps sporadically enforced.

What crosses the line?

Helicopter ride Memes?
Vote from the rooftops?

I don’t want to get banned in a grey area.
View Quote
Apparently saying that you hope RBG dies is a COC #4 violation.  I'm not saying that I hope she dies.  Just making an observation from a locked thread.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So what your saying is that the uptick in moderation isn’t due to brownells ownership, but the fact that we use amazon servers & they’re giving us flack?
View Quote
Who would have guessed that would happen?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Apparently saying that you hope RBG dies is a COC #4 violation.  I'm not saying that I hope she dies.  Just making an observation from a locked thread.
View Quote
Don't worry, that Knitting site is talking about overthrowing Trump.

Nothing to see here.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#26]
in.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
... this
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what your saying is that the uptick in moderation isn’t due to brownells ownership, but the fact that we use amazon servers & they’re giving us flack?
Everyone?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Need to write Brownells a letter for clarification.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#30]
@Goatboy

Can you give us some more specifics on what has been said/done by Amazon to warrant all of this?

Do you have plans to move the site to a host that is more open to and supportive of our community?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Nothing to see here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing to see here.
Wow....
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:47:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Does this include using marijuana and illegal aliens crossing the border?
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@Goatboy

Can you give us some more specifics on what has been said/done by Amazon to warrant all of this?

Do you have plans to move the site to a host that is more open to and supportive of our community?
View Quote
I seriously doubt they've ever said a word. It's just common sense.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#34]
From what I heard what he said would normally result in a warning, the problem was he had a long history and thus the ban.

It's like everyone gets all worked up and mad at the police for arresting a guy for jaywalking, until you find out the guy had 100 prior tickets for jaywalking.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#35]
In on self-fulfilling prophecy #4...
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I would say that using that quote in support of a violent overthrow of the current US government is a really, really, really dumb idea. And if you do it, you should thank the staff member who dissapeared your thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Posting something that even remotely hints at overthrowing the current US government...in a public forum...is a monumentally stupid idea. And if your thread is blackholed over it, the staff is doing you a solid.
Heaven forbid any of these guys crack a fucking history book or read any of the correspondence between the Founding Fathers.  They should go look up Jefferson's full quote with regard to that phrase.  It's not quite a full 180 of what most people think it means, but it's damn close.  Hint:  It was about Shay's Rebellion and the fear of further "anarchy", vs a malaise among the people.

Never let actual history stand in the way of good rhetoric though.  "Muh tree o' liber-tah!"
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#37]
In b4 Goatboy

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
From what I heard what he said would normally result in a warning, the problem was he had a long history and thus the ban.

It's like everyone gets all worked up and mad at the police for arresting a guy for jaywalking, until you find out the guy had 100 prior tickets for jaywalking. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_freak.gif
View Quote
Yup.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Wait....government is still legitimate?  Ewww...

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Goatboy

This suggests otherwise:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would agree, but now that it’s been brought attention to, here comes the shit storm.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#42]
While we're at it, go look up George Washington's letters where he discusses a "well-regulated milita".  It doesn't mean driving around your town making checklists accountability lists of where your perceived political enemies live so that you can kill them when the SHTF.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Free speech violations are like liberals’ phobias with assault weapons: if you define things too narrowly some creative defiant will comply by walking the line, and scaring the sensitive fulminates.

If you keep things fuzzy you get to apply discretion and most submitizen users will self censor to a degree that is more effective and economical than bright line enforcement.

“In every culture in decline, the watchful ones among the slaves, know all that is genuine will be scorned and conned and cast away.”  Joni Mitchell, Dog eat dog
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Rule 4 is there for people who don't realize or care that those sort of things are already against the law.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
@Goatboy

View Quote
What I heard is that defending against DNS attacks is the prime reason for going with Amazon or Cloud.  Came from the reddit guy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Rather than just do this in an IM where only I would benefit from the knowledge, I thought a thread would be better.

COC #4

Posting comments or links in support of illegal activities including, but not limited to, threats against the life of any person, doing harm to a state or federal official, or advocating the overthrow of the government.

Not a new rule....just perhaps sporadically enforced.

What crosses the line?

Helicopter ride Memes?
Vote from the rooftops?

I don’t want to get banned in a grey area.
View Quote

Nobody needs an AR15 to go hunting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This suggests otherwise:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Goatboy

This suggests otherwise:

Quoted:

Not to me, it doesn't. You don't have to ask (or wait to be told), before putting in a rule that saves people from themselves.

He also said that back when he owned the servers, and they were hosted in a co-lo. And I doubt they ever said a word about it to him either. Seriously, it's just common sense.
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Not to me, it doesn't. You don't have to ask (or wait to be told), before putting in a rule that saves people from themselves.

He also said that back when he owned the servers, and they were hosted in a co-lo. And I doubt they ever said a word about it to him either. Seriously, it's just common sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Goatboy

This suggests otherwise:

Quoted:

Common sense restrictions?    
Link Posted: 8/26/2019 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top