Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#1]

Page 2 says whatever new tent you get, be sure to give it a sweet custom krylon camouflage paint job, too.  With no edits.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I've enjoyed my Nemo Galaxi tent.

$249, and it comes with the footprint to place under the tent.  Comes in green or tan/brown

Not my picture
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#3]
After years of buying cheap tents, I picked-up a Cabela's Alaskan Guide 4-person tent last summer on sale for $260. It's a beast! Feels good to have a tent that will last many years and will stand up to any weather. Outside of a high quality ultralight for backpacking or a mountaineering tent, this tent is the shiz.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
kelty gunnison 4 has been my favorite for a long time
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are not going to be camping a whole lot, I would go with a cheap Ozark or Coleman.

My personal suggestion is, if you plan on 2 people sleeping in it, get a 4-6 person tent.  the added room is always a nice thing to have.
View Quote
This.

My basic rule is if it's just me car camping, a 3 person tent (you want room for your gear inside in the event of rain, and to keep critters out of your boots, etc.).
I use a 6 person Sierra Designs Bedouin tent plus a large dining fly for a twosome.
Backpacking is a different story. I am fond of my 20 year old North Face Mountain tent for that, heavy but will withstand almost any weather.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Kelty has some nice bargains. Field and Stream has 20% off one item right now and Kelty Circuit tents are on sale. Solid tent for pretty cheap. Those are more for back packing. If you are car camping, get something bigger, something you can get dressed standing up in.
View Quote
Make sure to get the aluminum pole versions of Kelty tents. Much longer lived, storm resistant, etc. Fiberglass poles have snapped during storms, as well as flexed until the tent collapses.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Make sure to get the aluminum pole versions of Kelty tents. Much longer lived, storm resistant, etc. Fiberglass poles have snapped during storms, as well as flexed until the tent collapses.
View Quote
I agree with this. Whatever tent you get, get one with aluminum poles. A few manufacturers will save a couple bucks on a line of tents by going fiberglass on the poles. I don't do fiberglass poles.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Eureka.

I car camp and stay at race tracks a lot.

I won't buy anything else.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Ledge tents are as good as you get without breaking $100, all the features and quality of ones costing 2x as much, but way affordable.

I suggest them to any sometimes-camper that doesn't want a POS.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#10]
How's that work for you when you want to run into town for more supplies?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#11]
In the past I always had good luck with Ozark Trail tents but last trip didn't go so well.  Back around 2004 I bought a 6-man and a 3-man tent from Wallyworld to use at motorcycle rallies.  They both went through many storms and some were even tornadic and both tents survived with no leakage or damage of any kind.  While putting the large tent up myself one day I slightly broke a pole end but a little tape around the crack kept it working fine.  I decided to go get another identical tent since it had been discontinued and I really liked that tent.  It has sat in my closet all this time never opened until I decided to go to Daytona Biketoberfest last Oct immediately after hurricane Mathew.  It rained daily and this brand new tent leaked bad after the first hour or so.  I survived the three days there but when I got home I started shopping for hopefully something better.  I found a $300 Coleman on closeout at Cabelas for $90.  Haven't tried it yet but all the reviews were very good on this tent.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just sleep under a tarp.

JK dont do that. My and 3 buddies went camping once. We pooled our money (we were all poor at the time) and bought 3 cases of beer instead of a tent because we figured we would just sleep under a tarp.

Night one went fine.
Night two: Giant spiders emerge on top of our tent, staring down at us. Due to my prior experiences with spiders, I could not deal with that (these were big spiders) 2 of the 3 of us do not handle arachnids well so we end up sleeping in my 2 door honda accord.
Night three: Torrential downpour. Tarp is destroyed, sleeping bags are soaked. No money for a hotel room, and it is very cold at this point. We all three slept in my car. No blankets. We covered ourselves with clothes that we kept in the car, backpacks, towels, anything. 3 people in that tiny car sucked (especially for the guy in the backseat).  We did not huddle together for warmth. It poured the whole night.

Overall a fun trip.

Just wanted to share that little slice of my life.

You all will probably call me a pussy for running from a spider. I am ok with that. Once I saw the one I got all itchy and I know I would not have been able to sleep the whole night. Fuck spiders. Horrible creatures. Except for jumping spiders.
View Quote
Where I camped a few weeks ago, it seems like sleeping with just a tarp wouldn't be too bad.  But one of the guys did that and apparently a bunch of spiders were drawn to his warmth and were all over him when he woke up in the morning.  These are the type with long, skinny legs that gather in bunches under stuff such that they make what they're gathering on look fuzzy, but scatter when disturbed.  Not sure what those are called, but they were all over him to a disturbing degree.  I don't think they have a painful bite, though.  In other places, it's no big deal.  I've done it without issue in a number of places, although when I was in Leesburg, VA, I woke up during the night to a spider crawling right in front of my face and in the morning had a couple of ticks on my ears.  Given how many bugs were in that field (it was a wave of bugs flying out whenever you took a step, I'm kinda surprised that's all there was.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Eureka Timberlite 4

Eureka Tetragon 4

Eureka Midori 3
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Dicks run their flash sales all the time. The one that is going on today has Coleman, Kelty, Eureka and Field and Stream tents cheaper than normal.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like a little room in my tent when I go camping..... 
This setup is for three people.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Tent-230858.JPG
View Quote
By the time you get that set up it's time to go home
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I've used a Kelty Solida for around 6 years now. Best tent for around $100. Packs light, well made. Has held up to snow and winds. Though it's a little bigger packing size. Best and cheapest car and back packing tent I've had.

I've been using a Sierra Designs Flashlight for the last 2 years as my go to. It's a great tent with more room and packs way smaller since you can forgo the poles and use trekking poles or pieces of wood or tie it up. It's held up to winds great and collapsed under 1 foot of snow as it doesn't shed snow very well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#17]
The Eureka Timberline is one of the oldest free-standing tent designs around. I had mine from 1987 until a few years ago (passed on to my kid).
It's pretty basic, very rugged, but lacks a vestibule and the guy-out system is not great, tent fly coverage is about 90% on the sides but the ends are barely covered.
Marmot, Sierra Designs and North Face all have a free-standing tent updated in similar size and configuration that is a lot more storm worthy.
And remember, in good weather you won't be in the tent that much. The test is how does it feel to be stuck in there for a 3 day rainstorm. Bigger is better, but it's tough to go bigger and cheaper at the same time.
Also look at LLBean tents. Good performance and value.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I got a USMC surplus Diamond two man tent from Ebay a couple of years ago.

Wasn't even that beat up, and after a small repair where the anchor attaches to the tent corner, its been fine ever since.

You can usually score a decent one for around $200.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Marmot Limestone 4 man that just works.
Holds up well in rain and wind and this past February a pretty good hail storm in the back country in Big Bend National Park.
Enough room for two even using cots.
And the floor is MUCH thicker than a lot of tents.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Eureka seconds

These deals can be hard to pass up. Depending on where you are in PA, you can hop over the border to Conklin where their outlet store is for good pricing as well.
View Quote
I've done a ton of camping, and the Eureka Timberline 4 man is a great tent for two people. I've owned 4 of them in the past 40 years. Easy to erect, good waterproof qualities in heavy downpours (be sure to seal all the seams), and enough room to spread out and play cards or read a book when raining. I actually bought a couple of tents years ago from this outlet; which I thought had closed. One was a four season prototype that they never brought to market (Scorpion). Cost me $150 and I used it camping in Alaska.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the help, guys. After much debate, I ordered the North Face Stormbreak 3:

It has great reviews, and since it's a quality tent it should last a long time.

Now, my only problem is with my order. The tent sells for $199 pretty much everywhere, so I was pretty pumped when I found it for $149 with free shipping:

I checked out, and got the confirmation email, only to find the price had changed to $199. I swear it didn't say that when I clicked "checkout," but anything is possible. The confirmation email:

This is kind of fucked up. I tried calling them, but they're closed for the day. Should I raise hell and try to get them to honor the price?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#23]
What did it say at checkout? That's the price.

Sounds shady
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Ouch.

No bueno.

ETA the price shuffle, not the tent.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Get some of these and it won't matter what tent you use.  Wife wakes me up in Yellowstone, and says: The rain is dripping through the roof on me.  I asked her if she was getting wet. She says no.  I said, go back to sleep.    We woke up dry in a tent full of water.  It rained like mad all night including sporadic hail.

http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/00148d.html

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok, update time:

I called sunnysports, and they were more than helpful. She told me that it was indeed listed for $149.95, and that she would correct my order immediately. Can't ask for more than that.

So, if you're in the market for a three person tent, you can get a $200 North Face tent from them for $150 shipped.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've enjoyed my Nemo Galaxi tent.

$249, and it comes with the footprint to place under the tent.  Comes in green or tan/brown

Not my picture
http://camptrend.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Shane-Black-Milky-Way-at-Crater-Lake_CampTrend.jpg

View Quote
Same aforementioned tent that I have and it's freaking great. As an added bonus, the color is awesome.

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 2:24:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I used sunnysports.com for some scout tents and was happy with the service and price.  Glad you found the same.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We have a TarpTent Hogsbsck. Sleeps 4 comfortably and weighs a few pounds.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183699/IMG-2664-230962.jpg
View Quote
Looks nice.  Ever try to set it up in rocky conditions where it may be difficult to drive a stake?  
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I was skeptical until i bought one(Tepui)
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you don't have to tote it very far on foot I'd just get a ozark trail or something from Academy sports. They may be heavy but it's not a backpacking tent.
View Quote
^ This. If you are car camping a larger tent is way more comfortable to sleep in and get dressed/undressed in.

If you are going to carry it then every $$$ you spend on a high end tent is worth it for saving weight.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top