BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I love canned fish and mackerel is pretty yucky. This is from a guy who bought and ate canned , smoked octopus from Walmart on purpose.

What you want is Polar brand smoked(kippered) herring.

It was pretty cheap in Amazon but everything has gone up. Sometimes you find it at Dollar Tree.

Polar is the best bang for the buck. They have larger cans of salmon that are good.
View Quote

I have cans of those that I didn’t eat last time I bought them. Didn’t care for them. I hope I like mackerel better.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

OP:
Never buy canned salmon. Ever.
It’s disgusting post spawn pinks, put through a machine. It’s literally the worst thing ever…

Sardines packed in Olive Oil are the best. Don’t know enough about mackerel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scrolling through Amazon. Pickled minnows are expensive.

What's your favorite stackable, sealed, saltwater snack? Which species? Brand? Bones or boneless?

(I'm not even gonna ask what you prefer them packed in; all civilized people coat them in cheap hot sauce, and everyone knows that)

OP:
Never buy canned salmon. Ever.
It’s disgusting post spawn pinks, put through a machine. It’s literally the worst thing ever…

Sardines packed in Olive Oil are the best. Don’t know enough about mackerel.

How else am I going to make fried salmon patties?
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have cans of those that I didn’t eat last time I bought them. Didn’t care for them. I hope I like mackerel better.
View Quote

Good luck.

I'm surprised you didn't like the kippered herring. Pretty clean flavor and no slimy texture.

I should probably try some other mackerel. I've only had cheap stuff and it's not for me. I like sardines, so it's not the bones or skin that bother me.

Canned salmon= fish patties in my kitchen. Saute' onion, red and green bell pepper. Smash together with fish and ritz crackers with butter, S
&P and garlic. Fry in patties until crispy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How else am I going to make fried salmon patties?
View Quote

LOL. Didn't see this until after posting about the patties.

The canned salmon pictured earlier is an exception. Good fillet of salmon right out of the can and it's pretty tasty. Salmon in the round cans from Kroger= salmon patties.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Good luck.

I'm surprised you didn't like the kippered herring. Pretty clean flavor and no slimy texture.

I should probably try some other mackerel. I've only had cheap stuff and it's not for me. I like sardines, so it's not the bones or skin that bother me.

Canned salmon= fish patties in my kitchen. Saute' onion, red and green bell pepper. Smash together with fish and ritz crackers with butter, S
&P and garlic. Fry in patties until crispy.
View Quote

My grandma darned near weaned me on fried salmon patties. She'd open a can (we liked red better than pink but pink was cheaper so you can guess which we ate the most) and mash it up, bones and skin and all, and mix it with cornmeal and fry it. We'd use a fork to jab holes in the top of a patty and soak them in pepper sauce (peppers canned in vinegar) or store-bought hot sauce. Sometimes we'd melt a slice of cheddar cheese on top and eat it in a biscuit.

I'd sure like to have one of her biscuits right now. She's been gone 19 years.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a can of the mackerel for dessert tonight.

It's packed in olive oil, so it's hard to spice up with vinegar-based sauce. I put a ton of hot sauce in the can, and ended up eating not-very-spicy fish then drinking a very spicy emulsion of hot sauce and olive oil afterwards.

Maybe I need to remove them from the can before applying hot sauce.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Canned salmon.  Drain. Put in pot with a lot of milk, butter, salt and pepper.  Cool until hot while stirring. Put in bowl and add ritz crackers.    Called salmon soup.  Been eating it since I was young.  You will love it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I do too, but instead of Korea, these days it's all from the PRC and I don't trust anything from there, least of all food.
View Quote

The Trader Joe’s smoked oysters are from Korea. You can really taste the difference too. They are the best I have found.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#9]
pickled herring
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
this thread brings back unpleasant memories of diarrhea, canned fish is poison
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I like King Oscar Kipper Snacks.

Sardines are fine, but I like the smoked herring better
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#13]
note to self: eat more fish.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:33:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Canned, I will have to go with anchovies.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:35:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Smoked salmon! Kippers are ok on a cracker.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Im amazed you guys eat fish bait.

I only do sardines as an ingredient for sauces.

Id rather have salmon
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Id rather have salmon
View Quote

IIRC, salmon was literally sold as cat food into the '80s.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#18]
La Tienda. They import all kinds of unusual canned seafood from spain.  Shit like baby eels and sea urchin.

King oscar is my favorite grocery store brand. Matiz is good too.   There are a bunch of brands that suck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id rather have salmon

Funny story, A stray cat some how got into the basement. Was unable to catch him for 2 days.

1 have a heart trap + canned salmon caught the fucker in a few minutes. That stuff stank so bad but he couldn't resist it. I sorta feel gross eating it myself since it has bones and stuff, but its decent protein at least.

Pickled minnows though, wtf lol
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I like trying all the canned fishies

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Polar kippers warmed up in the oven with rye bread & butter and sliced tomatoes and egg overcast on the side.
View Quote

Sounds legit
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Smoked oysters.

Sardines in mustard or tomato sauce.
View Quote

I like the ones in tomato sauce. I bought about 8 cans the other day. Holy hell, they got expensive!
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Fish steaks in the little tins. Hot sauce or jalapeño version.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/541243/ECD5F1FF-87B4-49EC-9B6B-6150951A5F0F_jpe-2128876.JPG
View Quote

This brand with the sardines with peppers.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Canned fish is bait. Except tuna.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top