Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I LOOOVED the mitsubishi 3000GT Vr4 in the 90's. I swore I would own one.. but after seeing the cars not last much longer than 100K and the complexity of working on those bitches, that pipe dream fizzled out.

I have a good friend with a TT Supra (97ish) with a single turbo conversion pushing somewhere in the realm of 1000hp. Its dope AF too.

Basically anything with twin turbos back in the day. Supra. 3000GT. 300ZX.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How about the Viper? Most graceful styled street car of the 90's.
View Quote
Close!

I dig Vipers, but proper 90's icons gotta have pop-up headlights FTW....

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I graduated high school in the 90s, so a lot of these cars are in my wheelhouse.  But I think peak design happened 40 years earlier.  Were I to win the lottery, these would be the start of my car collection.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a 1999 3000GT VR-4 and my wife had a 1995 RX-7.  The RX-7 was a death trap and I learned to hate Apex seals.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the almost over the top 80s styling to be honest. On the right car, the boxiness was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fuck yeah it is
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have never owned one but IMO the 3rd generation Camaro was one of the nicest looking cars the US have ever produced

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14294/91123251990604_jpg-1849313.JPG
Fuck yeah it is

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#9]
pretty sure that's a fake Cobra has 4 bolt wheels
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like the almost over the top 80s styling to be honest. On the right car, the boxiness was pretty cool.
View Quote

Yup, the 90's mantra of "round all the things' was sort of bland.  Like one guy posted earlier everything looked like well used bar of soap.

Performance wise the 80's were terrible though, really really terrible.

Still I like the stealth fighter look everything had.

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:19:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

I just got this 1996 Yukon GT to restore with my son. It’s a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/107223/7E48FBD5-0903-401D-ABE8-3FCAA4CD4A19_jpe-1849611.JPG

I just got this 1996 Yukon GT to restore with my son. It’s a lot of fun.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Like I posted above, I had an Aurora. I don't think it was that underpowered. It had a 250hp V8. Not blazing fast, but respectable within its class for the time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Like I posted above, I had an Aurora. I don't think it was that underpowered. It had a 250hp V8. Not blazing fast, but respectable within its class for the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The northstars are generally unappreciated engines that suffered from typical GM problems in execution and consumer apathy, to some extent.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The northstars are generally unappreciated engines that suffered from typical GM problems in execution and consumer apathy, to some extent.
View Quote

I was working as a mechanic during that time, the NorthStar was the biggest POS GM ever made.  That multipiece block leaked like a sieve.  Piss poor head bolt design made it even worse. Service and basic repairs were expensive.  Back in the early 2000's I put an alternator in Cadillac CTS for $1200, the job paid 6 hours.

There is a reason that not many are left running.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was working as a mechanic during that time, the NorthStar was the biggest POS GM ever made.  That multipiece block leaked like a sieve.  Piss poor head bolt design made it even worse. Service and basic repairs were expensive.  Back in the early 2000's I put an alternator in Cadillac CTS for $1200, the job paid 6 hours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect. There is nothing worse than the preceding HT Cadillac engines.

And as I said, typical GM problems in execution, “just send it, we’ll fix it in a later revision.”
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#17]

I had one as well. Complete pile of junk. All the joys of cadilac specialty parts in a clunky Oldsmobile...
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Beats me in the nineties I was loving the shit out of my 70 4-4-2.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It is an interesting wave that they ride.

From desire to dated/stigmatized to desirable again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The leak of car design is whatever cars look like when you were 16-20 years old. When cars matter and transportation meant freedom, it's how you hung out with friends, it meant you could take girls out on dates, its when you had an emotional connection and would dream about owning X sports car.

It is an interesting wave that they ride.

From desire to dated/stigmatized to desirable again.

yeah watching Barrett Jackson the last 10 years or so has illustrated that well  
pre 1950s stuff is declining  pretty hard , 1950s stuff aside from the tri fives is in decline as well
60s early 70s stuff is timeless and appeals to almost all generations

80s and especially 90s performance stuff is on the rise and is dragging the late 70s malaise era stuff with it
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://consumerguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/91801021990111.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSulkT-Rv7WUU_qXpPxRm_Hw7tPI1xOErETTw&usqp=CAU

Always wanted a Legend Coupe.  Had to settle for a 93 Accord EX Coupe.  Was black, tan interior, 5 speed.  Fun car that I sold with 360K on it and it still got 30MPG and didn't use a drop of oil.  Only things I replaced on that car were timing belts, brake pads, a radiator, and a clutch slave cylinder.  Damn thing was bulletproof.
View Quote

This. Legend and Vigor did it for me. Also the BMW 740-750 il

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#21]
I think there were at of great 90s designs, and a lot of ugly turds. I was a teen through the middle 90s, but I really didn't get bitten by the car bug until right around the 2000s. I've owned a 97 SVT Cobra and a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0. I wish I had both still. I think the mid 2000s was the decline. Power and performance improved drastically, but a lot of cars lost their unique identity.

JDM cars of the 90s were something else! They still look good on the road. I saw a 300Z on the road Monday. It was a little rough, but still cool. Most Japanese cars now are utilitarian looking boxes. Very boring and so soulless.

Modern U.S. cars are going extinct for soccer mom crossovers. There were quite a few performance oriented cars from the 90s to the mid 2000s. Then everything was pared down to 1 or 2 models for a car company.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I had a '97 Tbird Super Coupe, looked just like this. At the time I thought it was the coolest looking car on the market. Maybe not now so much, but it was a great car and had plenty of ponys to be fun.

Also loved the NASCAR t-birds of the time, my dash was signed by Jimmy Spencer who drove this the same year.

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 4:34:35 PM EDT
[#23]

I disagree. I had one of the last GT models and drove the wheels off it. It spent all its time in the interstate. Got great gas mileage
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:03:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Great thread
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top