Hot enough for the bacon grease to be smoking
View Quote
This is the way I do it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lots of good info in here.

You're leaching the juice out of your steak with the pre salt.

I bring mine up to 120 internal in the oven. Put on the dry flat top as hot as it will go for the sear. Butter, salt, pepper, garlic on the steak as it rests.

I dont know of any oil or seasoning that does well on a cook surface of a good sear temp.

View Quote

In the link above Alton uses canola.  I've always used evoo but I've also been doing other things that were a bad idea apparently so I'm going to have to rethink and test a different approach.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Don’t know if it affects the steak much but I’ve never heard of setting out steak to room temperature for 6-8 hours. Ive always heard leave them out for 15-30 minutes to warm up a little.
View Quote

It does not take 6 hours for a steak to go from 34 to room temp but i dont guess it hurts much.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
My father would take and set the oven at 350 and let it warm up then a cast iron pan on the burner till it was hell hot.  I dont recall him using any oil.  Drop that ribeye on the pan flip in 2 min and stick in the oven until he thought it was ready.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In the link above Alton uses canola.  I've always used evoo but I've also been doing other things that were a bad idea apparently so I'm going to have to rethink and test a different approach.
View Quote

Avocado oil is better for searing as it has a higher smoke point and a relatively neutral flavor

I have basically moved exclusively to avocado for cooking and olive oil foe dressings
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So which is it.... throw it into a 700 degree pan from room temp OR heat it for a while, take it out THEN throw it into a 600-700 degree pan?  

...or am I just confused and all the replies are the same?
View Quote

Depends on the thickness.

If the steak is thin enough that the middle will come up to your desired doneness by the time the outside is seared,  no preheat needed.

If it is thicker than that, you will have to bring up the center temp before searing.

I'm a cheap bastard and will buy thin, Kroger ribeyes on sale. They do best when taken straight from the fridge to the flat top. If I let them come to room temp, first,  they get too done.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to do the whole pan searing/oven thing btw...I've since moved on.

I sous vide the steak at 128-130 for at least an hour; literally just dropped the steak (sometimes frozen, sometimes fresh) in a vacuum sealer bag, sealed, and into the temp controlled bath. Whenever you're about 20 minutes away from wanting to eat, throw the pan on the stove at medium high or high and let it come up to temp. Whenever it's hot enough for you, remove the steak from the bath (it's now perfectly cooked but doesn't look so great), salt/pepper/season the steak to your preference, drizzle a little oil on it like before, and sear on each side for 30 seconds or so. Take it off and rest for a few minutes while you move the pan off, drain the bath, and put the rest of the stuff away. Presto, a perfectly done steak, much less smoke and mess, and you don't even need to check any times/temps since it's already perfectly done from the sous vide. I aim for 128 on the sous vide, figuring the hot sear and carryover will bring it up to 130-132 or so, give or take, after it's done resting. A perfect medium rare.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Oil in the pan should be just shy of smoking.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All the way up.

View Quote

+1.  I place my cast iron on over coals in the weber outside due to the copious amounts of smoke that a properly cooked steak produces.  Butter, salt and pepper, + extremely hot cast iron=steak the way I like it.

Edited because spell check makes it look like i’m having a stroke.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.healthstandnutrition.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/smoke-point-oils-infographic.jpg

Looks like I'll be buying some Avacado oil!! Anything particular to look for there (cold press, virgin, made from the tears of children's broken dreams, etc.)??

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Glowing

Hot enough the oil is just smoking a little

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21136/1B4CA08B-CBFB-4EC2-B77B-798B5CBBA464-2467603.jpg

Hells yeah
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Reverse sear is the only way to go for most steaks. Serious eats has a really good guide.

When it comes to the sear portion, if I’m doing it on the stove top I go for a minimum of 500 degrees. I would not use butter at that temperature, it’ll burn immediately. I also wouldn’t bother with garlic as that’ll burn immediately too. Add butter/garlic at the very end for a brief moment if you have to have it.
View Quote

Cut steaks to where after searing they're basically at temp.

Kill heat half way through Sear side one, flip side 2, half through that, butter and aromatics in. Butter baste to temp.

Works even better on a tenderloin with them being kinda triangle shaped
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So which is it.... throw it into a 700 degree pan from room temp OR heat it for a while, take it out THEN throw it into a 600-700 degree pan?  

...or am I just confused and all the replies are the same?
View Quote

If you can get the center to temp from just the sear or are butter finishing the first.

Big thick Dino slab, the second
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:23:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cut steaks to where after searing they're basically at temp.

Kill heat half way through Sear side one, flip side 2, half through that, butter and aromatics in. Butter baste to temp.

Works even better on a tenderloin with them being kinda triangle shaped
View Quote

I've done similar in my small cast iron pan.

Heat oven to 425.
Heat pan on stove to sear temp.
Sear the edges of steak for 30 seconds.
Sear one side for 1 min 30 seconds
Flip steak to sear other side and pop into oven for 2 to 4 minutes (depending on thickness) to finish.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Leave the EVOO off.
It interferes with the sear in my opinion.
Salt and coarse ground black pepper, real butter on top of the hit side once you’ve flipped it.
Mine come out perfect.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Last three times that I cooked steaks I had ADT calling my house about the fire alarms, wish there was a way to disable it while cooking.
View Quote

Latex glove
Never leave on
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep. If your smoke alarm ain't going off then it ain't hot enough.

Whomever said to use your outdoor gas grill, if you have one, has the right idea. You can get it screaming hot and not set of the smoke alarms.
View Quote

I do it two ways.   I bought a 304 stainless plate on Amazon, put it on the gas grill (has a central sear burner between two burners… turn them all on, let it get as hot as possible!) Use a burger press on top to make sure it’s got full contact.  

Pellet grill as high as possible on the grill side (not going to work with most pellet grills, though), so close to 900 degrees.

Got tired of pulling the batteries from the smoke detectors in the house.

Of course you could buy a chimney style charcoal starter, put a grate over it and do one at a time.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, it's very smokey...do it with an open window and fans going, or outside. There's really no way around that. With or without oil (canola, peanut, avocado, whatever). You don't want to use a lot of oil anyway...pat a little tiny bit on the steak; like a teaspoon or so a side. That's all you need. It's not like an egg where it needs to (well, should) bathe in butter if you're doing something over easy...

And, again...you're salting it too long. Put the salt on right before it goes on for searing. Maybe a minute or two before, max. You want the salt to draw a little moisture out of the meat to promote the maillard reaction that gives you that nice crust on the steak...but that's _all_ you want it to do (it'll season by itself as well, which is fine). Salting the steak and letting it just sit there for any real length of time just moves _all_ of the moisture out of the meat and into the salt, which is what you do NOT want to happen...you want the moisture to stay in the meat as much as possible.

I dunno who told you keeping salt on the meat a long time was good...they lied to you. Good for making jerky maybe, but not a nice, juicy steak
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
how the fuck did your fire alarms not go off?

mine goes off when i pour milk into a bowl of captain crunch.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
how the fuck did your fire alarms not go off?

mine goes off when i pour milk into a bowl of captain crunch.
View Quote

Smoke alarms.

And that's actually a good question.  I'll go around and test them all.

EDIT:  I will say the only thing that's ever set them off is years ago when the wood stove would back up into the house.  This was before I knew how to sweep my own chimney and learned all about creosote.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Is your vent a large one that actually vents to the outside or is it one of type that is under a microwave that really is only a small carbon filter?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is your vent a large one that actually vents to the outside or is it one of type that is under a microwave that really is only a small carbon filter?
View Quote

Vents outside.  It is from 1966 though. So there's that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#25]
That level of heat you need a powerful vent

I don't cook steak at sky high temps, but I have the benefit of not shooting for rare. Still gets a very good sear, but typically more medium. And not too much smoke
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#26]
If you want a good sear you’re going to get smoke, best to plan around it. When I didn’t have a good vent, I’d put a box fan in a window.

To help mitigate, dry age your your steak in the fridge for a day or three, reverse sear, and if it’s a well marbled ribeye I don’t even bother with oil anymore. You’ll get enough from the fat rendering.

You’ll still get smoke though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you want a good sear you’re going to get smoke, best to plan around it. When I didn’t have a good vent, I’d put a box fan in a window.

To help mitigate, dry age your your steak in the fridge for a day or three, reverse sear, and if it’s a well marbled ribeye I don’t even bother with oil anymore. You’ll get enough from the fat rendering.

You’ll still get smoke though.
View Quote

I'm considering using my 36" Blackstone.  I'm going to see if I can get the pans to 600-650ish.  Maybe I'll try directly on the griddle.  I just worry all the fat/juices will end up in the drip tray instead of on/in the meat.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:25:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm considering using my 36" Blackstone.  I'm going to see if I can get the pans to 600-650ish.  Maybe I'll try directly on the griddle.  I just worry all the fat/juices will end up in the drip tray instead of on/in the meat.
View Quote
My knockoff Blackstone gets up to 650ish with the lid closed. It works great to sear the steak and put a good crust on it. I then move it to the cooler side and heat it through.

My steaks are 2 inches thick, and take a few minutes to get from room temp to 105ish internal. After that, internal temp goes up FAST, so keep a close eye on it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:39:00 AM EDT
[#29]
BGE + Grill Grates in flat top mode= the best steak machine I’ve experienced.

And reversed sear steak have been my jam for at least 7~ years now. Finally getting what I believe is my final form.

Prime NY strip kosher salt brine over night.

Wagyu tallow and garlic smoked to a soup while the steak gets to 110F indirect in BGE.

Then take off and dry with paper towels in tinfoil as open up those vents and out the Grill Grates on flat top style.

Get to 550F. Baste with some garlic wagyu tallow. Only take about 30s a side.

Crack black pepper on it and let it rest while you sear up some vegetables.

fuck cast iron. High maintenance pieces of shit. Lol.

Maybe, maybe!!! A soapstone will beat this one day. Idk.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:04:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Put your cast iron on top of a propane grill outside for about a half hour till it's about 600 or more. Make all the smoke outdoors.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a wood fired oven outside.  I can toss a cast iron skillet in there and let it soak up heat for a while and it sears things beautifully.  Being outside, the smoke is a non-issue unless it bugs my neighbor.  And I consider that a feature, not a bug.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah to the point where smoke is pouring off my cast iron before I put anything on.

There's a reason I have a burner set up outside for my cast iron. You're not going to be able to get it anywhere near hot enough without smoking out your house.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:38:55 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a commercial type range hood that sucks smoke from my 25,000 BTU Blue Star open range stove.  When I sear using cast iron on my burner, I still get a little smoke that escapes the 300 CFM fan.

It helps to open a window near your hood to facilitate removal of the smoke.

I've found that sous vide or reverse sear is a much cleaner way of doing it.  Or outside.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 6:39:59 AM EDT
[#34]
lol doing it in the house.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#35]
You have a griddle but used a pan inside?  

Lol
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a breeo with an Amistad plancha.
This combo gets insanely hot.
I let the steaks get to room temp.  

This is my favorite method to cook steaks.
I have a BGE but this is much more fun.

Attachment Attached File

https://amistadgrillco.com/products/amistad-grill-carbon-steel-plancha-attachement?variant=41441095286959

https://breeo.co/

Sure its hipster but man does it work well. Its easier to transport than a BGE. And I have a bunch of avocado wood to burn.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#37]
You know it’s Summer, OP?  Doing that in this heat, inside is nuts.

There’s a relatively new invention called “fire” that’s contained in a gadget called a “grill.”

The smoke is outside, using a grill & has the benefit of making your neighbors envious you have good chow cooking.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:24:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

fuck cast iron. High maintenance pieces of shit. Lol.

View Quote

Lol there nothing high maintenance about cast iron.

Cook with it
Wash it with soap and water
Dry it with a towel.
Wipe a thin coat of oil on when done if you want.

That's high maintenance to you?

Thats literally all you need to do. Anything else it pants on head retarded made up by retards that like to mystify simple things to feel like big brains.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Reverse sear ensures all the meat is the same temp, but has a delicious char on it.

Just cooking in the pan leaves a gradient of doneness on the meat
View Quote

Gradient is avoidable.  This was one I did a few weeks ago. Just in the pan.

Near room temp steak. 2:30 per side. Removed for a couple minutes (to get my girlfriends steak to medium well) then tossed back on for 30 seconds per side.

That little break really helps it cook evenly. Looks almost like one of my souse vide steaks when I used to do them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a commercial type range hood that sucks smoke from my 25,000 BTU Blue Star open range stove.  When I sear using cast iron on my burner, I still get a little smoke that escapes the 300 CFM fan.

It helps to open a window near your hood to facilitate removal of the smoke.

I've found that sous vide or reverse sear is a much cleaner way of doing it.  Or outside.
View Quote

How long have you had your blue star and how do you like it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Vents outside.  It is from 1966 though. So there's that.
View Quote

I have a 900 cfm fan and my house will still smell after something like that. You need commercial strength fan venting straight out imo for the hill you're trying to climb.
As others have said, use the pan on a grill.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top