User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 12:37:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does it switch to anything other than the Cheytac calibers? There aren't many that make 50 look cheap to shoot but the CheyTac stuff certainly does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldn't get the M82.  I would be looking at a .50 bolt gun that could also shoot other calibers.  The AI AX50 ELR.

AX50 ELR demo rifle

Does it switch to anything other than the Cheytac calibers? There aren't many that make 50 look cheap to shoot but the CheyTac stuff certainly does.
Not that I'm aware of.  It would just be nice to have multiple calibers and barrels.

In addition to the supplied .50 barrel I would have a short .50 barrel, a .416 barrett barrel, and a .375 cheytac barrel and bolt.  One big assed rifle to rule them all.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:08:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of selling my M82 and getting out of 50 for good.

I think they are neat, but I've shot this one twice in the last 3 years.
View Quote

Need a pimped out scar setup?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:16:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm kind of bored of it, it doesn't do anything that my ar10 can't do other than fold.

I can shoot 1250 at my backyard range and stretch to a mile plus within 30 minutes. Depending on season.

No 50 currently.

Ammo was on the shelf thru the entire plandemic
View Quote

Does/will WA have a .50 cal ban like CA anytime soon?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:20:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I sold my SCAR17 last year.... I liked the gun personally.  However the MSRP price increase on spare parts by FN really made me not want it.  30-500% increase in price on spare parts.  Fuck that.  Before the increase the prices were high already.  

Sorry, I don't want to own a battle rifle that costs more to replace parts than it is to buy a new one.  That and using a suppressor voids the warranty.  A very unfriendly suppressor firearm.

Get the 50 cal.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:31:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't know why some people assume you have to shoot 50's at long range. 99% of my shooting is less than 600 yards just like it is with most of my guns. I like 50's because they make big holes and big noise. They have more energy and capability that basically everything outside DD's and actual explosives. People love blasting with them. 82's with ball ammo aren't made for long range so I don't know why people try to pigeonhole them.

Not even close unless you are looking for match stuff.

View Quote

The 50 I am familiar with has a .416 Barrett barrel on order.  To me it is the best high energy rounds with long distance accuracy.......just make sure to save up $$$$ for each trigger pull....
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I never could get excited about SCAR.   M82, but really, do you have access to 1200+ yard venues?

Even 500 yard is too short range for that.  I watched a couple dudes nail steel at 500 yards last year with one.  The impact energy was 8000 ft-lbs and it blew out the entire steel gong hinges.  Which was FUCKING AWESOME to behold. But then the guys were OH SHIT, at potentially damaging range property.
View Quote

The range I am a member of requires the 50 to shoot non-steel ammo.....if you can take a magnet to it and it sticks, you can't fire it for this very reason, even at 1200 yards.  Hornaday 750gr A-MAX is the cheapest ammo I have seen meet this criteria.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:35:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do you have places to actually stretch the legs of the M82?
View Quote

@timco used to post a lot about his M82A1, he lived in Utah and had open range as far as you could see. Then he moved to Rhode Island where the region doesn’t have ranges greater than about 200 yards. I always wondered what he did with the Barrett since he effectively can’t shoot it now to its potential.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:35:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well when the Boogaloo starts you'll be like 9mm, 9mm , AR15, AR15

And then some Chad is going to show up and be like "I HEARD YOU BOYS NEED TO ANTI SOME MATERIEL WEEEEOOOOO"

He will be your king
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:37:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Do it
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:38:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't know why some people assume you have to shoot 50's at long range. 99% of my shooting is less than 600 yards just like it is with most of my guns. I like 50's because they make big holes and big noise. They have more energy and capability that basically everything outside DD's and actual explosives. People love blasting with them. 82's with ball ammo aren't made for long range so I don't know why people try to pigeonhole them.
View Quote

I guess for me it has to do with the whole "know your backstop and what's beyond your target", as much as anything.  Distance allows enough energy dissipation for it to not destroy the backstop, and also ricochet's and skips are with a round that is at least well spent just from long flight it took to get there, I guess?  TBH, I really don't know the topic, just sort of always thought of it that way.  After watching one tear up the hardy physical attachement systems of a rather heavy steel gong 500 yards out, the power level in those things is kind of intimidating at the thought of what can handle that, at just 100 yards, to be honest!
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:47:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think the M82 Barret rifles are designed to be used with a supressor. Get an M107A1 and the QDL suppressor from Barret if you are going to buy a .50.
Also, keep the SCAR.
View Quote

Maybe it's just me but putting a suppressor on a 50 is like buying a Ferrari and sticking 3 mufflers on it so you don't disturb the neighbors. If I'm shooting a .50 I want EVERYONE in the county to know a .50 is being shot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:50:37 AM EDT
[#12]
If you gave me a Barrett for free, I don’t even know what the fuck I would do with it.

Where am I going to go shoot that thing? I probably have to drive three hours to find a range.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:51:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:55:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I guess for me it has to do with the whole "know your backstop and what's beyond your target", as much as anything.  Distance allows enough energy dissipation for it to not destroy the backstop, and also ricochet's and skips are with a round that is at least well spent just from long flight it took to get there, I guess?  TBH, I really don't know the topic, just sort of always thought of it that way.  After watching one tear up the hardy physical attachement systems of a rather heavy steel gong 500 yards out, the power level in those things is kind of intimidating at the thought of what can handle that, at just 100 yards, to be honest!
View Quote

I think the last time I looked at 1600 yards the 50 still had 1,000 ft/Lbs of energy.  I think a 9mm round out of a 4" barrel has less than half of this at 10 yards.  Now accuracy at 1600 yards is a totally different story.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:56:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 3:03:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been shooting 50's for a couple of decades now and to this day, it still brings a smile to the face!

Anyone that asks, I let them shoot it, don't ask for anything, the smile on their face is all the payment I need.

The M82 won't disappoint, ever!

There are others, Serbu's BFG-50A1 and Vigilance Rifles M14 semiauto 50 BMG would be two that I would consider. The owner of Vigilance is Bill Ritchie's son (mfg the Windrunner 50's), he still makes the Windrunner's and the kit's for different calibers that can be swapped out in about 1 minute. https://www.vigilancerifles.co/m14-50-bmg-semi-auto

People that quote ammo prices at $10 a round are the ones that don't shop around, don't know shit and or trying to gouge others! Sub $3 ammo was already posted, just shop around, the deals are there.

You already have the range, you have the urge, might as well scratch it. Bringing others out to share in the fun was always what it was about for me.

@realwar he can post some pics of our desert shoots.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 3:41:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Bought my first .50 in 1990.

My wife got me this a few years later.

The bigger question is ------- How can you NOT own one...?

Here's the bolt with an Australian Automatic Arms pistol bolt ----------- ain't that cute...?!!

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 3:50:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not that I'm aware of.  It would just be nice to have multiple calibers and barrels.

In addition to the supplied .50 barrel I would have a short .50 barrel, a .416 barrett barrel, and a .375 cheytac barrel and bolt.  One big assed rifle to rule them all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldn't get the M82.  I would be looking at a .50 bolt gun that could also shoot other calibers.  The AI AX50 ELR.

AX50 ELR demo rifle

The Desert Tech HTI has the same attributes. .50BMG or .416 Barrett with the same bolt, and a different barrel, or .375CT or .408CT with the same bolt, and different barrels.

Sub-MOA with Match ammo (750gr AMAX) and .375CT (actually retains more energy than .50BMG past ~1600 yards. Supersonic to ~2200 yards).

The HTI is cheaper, AND it's a lot more compact. It fits in the same case a DPMS G2 SASS does.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#19]
If you get an 82a1 family of rifle, get this one.

It’s the 82A2. We built a few of them for civilian sales. Not many, but they can be found. I loved building and shooting this model. It was an absolute riot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 4:13:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89/PB_1499022341800-703237.png

It’s the 82A2. We built a few of them for civilian sales. Not many, but they can be found. I loved building and shooting this model. It was an absolute riot.
View Quote

AK-daddy said there were only 10 and apparently only 2 ever made it out to the civilian market. Probably cheaper and easier to buy a transferrable M2.

But yes, that is the coolest of all .50 BMG rifles. Period.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 4:18:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

AK-daddy said there were only 10 and apparently only 2 ever made it out to the civilian market. Probably cheaper and easier to buy a transferrable M2.
View Quote

Nope. We built 25 or so for Great Britain to be tested as helo security to be deployed on the ground as a security element.
We built around 50 to be sent to some African nation to be used as an ambush firearm against armored pick up trucks poachers were using to kill elephants and rhinos in some game preserve.

We built some for the US Army. I think it was around 10 or so for testing at Aberdeen.

There were more than 2 built for civilian collectors. I think it was between 8 and 10 for a few of Ronnies friends or people that had spent a lot of money with Barrett.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 4:31:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nope. We built 25 or so for Great Britain to be tested as helo security to be deployed on the ground as a security element.
We built around 50 to be sent to some African nation to be used as an ambush firearm against armored pick up trucks poachers were using to kill elephants and rhinos in some game preserve.

We built some for the US Army. I think it was around 10 or so for testing at Aberdeen.

There were more than 2 built for civilian collectors. I think it was between 8 and 10 for a few of Ronnies friends or people that had spent a lot of money with Barrett.
View Quote

Wouldn't be THAT hard to fab up the parts to convert a regular M82 right?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/014/033/The_More_You_Know_0-0_screenshot.png

Wouldn't be THAT hard to fab up the parts to convert a regular M82 right?
View Quote

It takes quit a bit of work to change one over. We ended up starting from new stamping for an 82a1 and modifying them before welding. You also need a spare trigger housing to hold a few of the fire control parts. Nd some real tinkering around to get it functional.
The first 4 or 5 we did were all hand fitted. No interchangeability to those.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:45:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/89/PB_1499022341800-703237.png

View Quote

Pass. That is putting my noggin a bit too close to the boom.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Do it.  Scar does nothing a AR cannot do.  (10/15). The m82 is another capability.  Do it!
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Damn. If that’s his backlog now, I should go back to work there.

I have an 82a1 and an M95. Love them both. They are tools for when something that needs incapacitating shows up. Don’t care if it’s only 100 yds away.
I have shit loads of M8AP I bought years ago for 85 cents per round. And 2 cans of Raufoss.

.50’s be fun and serious business at the same time.
View Quote

Interested in selling any of the Raufoss?
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

$66/rd

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/966881356
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the interest.  But no thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Sell it to fund a move to a free state
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Right before youtube went full retard on gun stuff, I actually got them to monetize me shooting two guns in a video. One a suppressed scar 17; the other a barrett. Here's a clip of the muzzle blast throwing my can of fresca backwards....

[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnbryanesq/status/1608190954124578816?s=20&t=yoB78rOnXRUyT3L0sIlXlg[/tweet]

eta: can't ever figure that out...

https://twitter.com/johnbryanesq/status/1608190954124578816?s=20&t=yoB78rOnXRUyT3L0sIlXlg
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#31]
And shooting one offhand is fun. Not that I'm able to hit much of anything like that....

That's before the recoil kicked in, lol.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#32]
You definitely should.  SCAR is a turd.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:31:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Do it!
Attachment Attached File

I own many stupid guns that serve no real purpose for me other than fun and to be honest the SCAR isn’t even on my want list unless I found one for like half off
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Desert Tech HTI has the same attributes. .50BMG or .416 Barrett with the same bolt, and a different barrel, or .375CT or .408CT with the same bolt, and different barrels.

Sub-MOA with Match ammo (750gr AMAX) and .375CT (actually retains more energy than .50BMG past ~1600 yards. Supersonic to ~2200 yards).

The HTI is cheaper, AND it's a lot more compact. It fits in the same case a DPMS G2 SASS does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

AX50 ELR demo rifle

While you are absolutely correct I'm not sure I'd want to light that much powder right next to my head.  8" in front of my head close enough
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
$4-$5 per shot.
View Quote

Shooting my .50 costs about 1/3 of my .338. Price is the same for match ammo.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't know why some people assume you have to shoot 50's at long range. 99% of my shooting is less than 600 yards
just like it is with most of my guns. I like 50's because they make big holes and big noise. They have more energy and capability that basically everything outside DD's and actual explosives. People love blasting with them. 82's with ball ammo aren't made for long range so I don't know why people try to pigeonhole them.

View Quote

Every end user has their own reason for owning one. In my area we are hard pressed to find a place to shoot beyond 300 yards so anything beyond that to me is long distance.

Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:04:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Every end user has their own reason for owning one. In my area we are hard pressed to find a place to shoot beyond 300 yards so anything beyond that to me is long distance.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know why some people assume you have to shoot 50's at long range. 99% of my shooting is less than 600 yards
just like it is with most of my guns. I like 50's because they make big holes and big noise. They have more energy and capability that basically everything outside DD's and actual explosives. People love blasting with them. 82's with ball ammo aren't made for long range so I don't know why people try to pigeonhole them.

I totally understand being limited by range availability. The range where I grew up was 400 yards. Still had 50’s. My response was aimed at the people that always show up and basically say a 50 isn’t worth it unless you can shoot 1000 plus yards. Just another stupid thing many in the gun community regurgitate.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I read that as "Sell my car"... Makes sense both ways...
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sell it to fund a move to a free state
View Quote

Reddest County in the state, sherriff is great, and I shoot machine guns in my back yard.

All the free states have too much taxes.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 1:19:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

QFT. I’d even say under 200 yards. Breaking stuff is what the 50 BMG excels at. That and pleasing a crowd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT. I’d even say under 200 yards. Breaking stuff is what the 50 BMG excels at. That and pleasing a crowd.

Once or twice a year a year I take mine to a public range with benches at 100 & 50 yds. The crowds really seem to like it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 1:36:32 AM EDT
[#41]
I own both of them.  Would not sell either one......cheers
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 2:03:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We used to do that at the range a lot. Or dual wield. That was always a riot. We had a huge boulder we shot at. Took us about 8 years to finally bust it.

We welded 2 10rd mags together to make what we called "Super mag" Ronnie told us to never, ever allow anyone outside the shop to see it or people would call wanting one.
View Quote
I wish someone would design a beta mag 20rd drum for the Barrett.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:24:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Barrett M107A1 .50 Cal Semi-Automatic Rifle Review
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top