User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lightning bugs
View Quote

Yep. Saw them every year as a kid, can’t remember the last time.

Got read the riot act and a written warning by THE MAN for failing to exit a WMA by sundown on a scout day for a Turkey hunt.

My buddy and I were roosting birds and when it was getting dark millions of lightning bugs started lighting up the woods. They were everywhere, lighting up the ground, trees, bushes, filling the air.

We just sat down in awe for 15-20 minutes, one of the most incredible displays I’ve ever experienced in nature.

Then we had the “ DOH!” epiphany that we were supposed to out of there and hauled ass to the gate; got there just as an FWC Officer was locking up.

He was not happy and didn’t care about any lightning bugs….

Way before cell phones, we didn’t have a camera with us.

Haven’t seen the like since.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Ticks are way up since the early 70s
View Quote

Very true.  Even in the early 80s in Alabama in the Spring and fall I never got a tick on me

Probably couldn’t go 10 feet in the woods today without getting one on me.

Use permethrin on my clothes now if I go into the woods or fields
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I carry fire ant granules in the truck and dose every mound I find.

I'll never succeed, but I'm determined to chase them out of the Ouachitas.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bobwhite quail.

This.  But I HAVE actually heard a couple this year already.  Fucking fire ants...
I carry fire ant granules in the truck and dose every mound I find.

I'll never succeed, but I'm determined to chase them out of the Ouachitas.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
buffalo
View Quote
2 minutes from my place.

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
California Quail, locally.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can't remember the last time I saw a chipmunk or lady bug.  Hell, I rarely even see the Asian lady bugs anymore and about 20 years ago we had an absolute infestation of them.
View Quote

All of them must be here, loads of both.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I can go see horned lizards whenever up here, they seem to be doing fine.  I've noticed declines in chukar and pheasant populations, but they aren't native anyway.

Seems like populations of most critters have gotten larger or stayed the same since the 70s up here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As a kid and into young adulthood, it was not too unusual to see and hear pheasant.  Somewhere in the '70s they just disappeared.
Ditto bobwhites.
South Central Michigan.
View Quote

When I was a kid they were absolutely everywhere out on the wheat country where my grandma's house was. Driving in and out of town you would have to be on the lookout so as to not hit one darting across the road. Now when I go over there I never see them any more.

At our place when we bought it 12 years ago there were tons of raccoons in the back woods, along with rabbits everywhere. Haven't seen a racoon or a rabbit in several years now. I only shot one raccoon so it can't be blamed on me.

I had no idea that we had forest lizards until I found one of our cats eating one.

Also had never seen one of these mother fuckers in my life until we moved to our place. Found one flopping around in the driveway

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:09:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Lightning bugs.  Bats.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can go see horned lizards whenever up here, they seem to be doing fine.  I've noticed declines in chukar and pheasant populations, but they aren't native anyway.

Seems like populations of most critters have gotten larger or stayed the same since the 70s up here.
View Quote

Never saw a single possum in my life here up until some time in the 2000s
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Thylacine
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#12]
13-lined ground squirrels

Many years ago we were plagued by them.  They were digging up my entire yard…destructive little bastards.

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When I was a kid they were absolutely everywhere out on the wheat country where my grandma's house was. Driving in and out of town you would have to be on the lookout so as to not hit one darting across the road. Now when I go over there I never see them any more.

At our place when we bought it 12 years ago there were tons of raccoons in the back woods, along with rabbits everywhere. Haven't seen a racoon or a rabbit in several years now. I only shot one raccoon so it can't be blamed on me.

I had no idea that we had forest lizards until I found one of our cats eating one.

Also had never seen one of these mother fuckers in my life until we moved to our place. Found one flopping around in the driveway

https://www.centralcoastbiodiversity.org/uploads/1/4/9/9/14993002/belostomatid_2_orig.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a kid and into young adulthood, it was not too unusual to see and hear pheasant.  Somewhere in the '70s they just disappeared.
Ditto bobwhites.
South Central Michigan.

https://www.centralcoastbiodiversity.org/uploads/1/4/9/9/14993002/belostomatid_2_orig.jpg

Nope, fuck that fucking thing.

Also, our rabbit population died down big time at my house.  I probably killed them all so it's okay.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Roadrunners.  Used to see them occasionally.  It's been a good 20 years now.
View Quote
Shitloads of 'em in western AZ.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:16:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I see chipmunks all the time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#16]
There's almost no warblers left here.  Owls, thrushes, vireos mostly gone.  No cuckoos left, woodcock gone.  Lots of species of butterfly and other insects MIA, and the various amphibians are gone too.  Only 1 or 2 bats around.   I don't think we even got a robin this year - usually 3 or 4 pairs nesting around the property (30 acres, about 2 acres open, the rest mixed northern hardwoods and some conifers).
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Patriotic democrats.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Patriotic democrats.
View Quote
Well that is definitely a rare thing!
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Never saw a single possum in my life here up until some time in the 2000s
View Quote
They aren't native.  They've been pretty common in King and Sno counties for a long time and probably have been spreading north and south.  There were lots in the 90s, I even raised one.

The lizards your cat likes are probably northern alligator lizards, there are lots west of the Cascades and in a band eastward across northern WA and into northern Idaho.  You'll even see those in driftwood on the beaches around Puget Sound and on the San Juan Islands.

Another thing I've noticed is that I've started seeing more black-tailed jack rabbits.  They were almost nowhere to be found in the 80s.  Already saw one this year down near Kennewick.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Horny toads. We used to catch them as kids.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lightning bugs
View Quote

I still see them but not anything like when I was a kid.  Of course I don't live where I was as a kid either.  From my understanding they had them here as well but the numbers are way lower.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lightning bugs
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Pheasants, grouse, and woodcock
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#24]
There used to be tons of garter and corn snakes in my neck of the woods. Been a solid few decades since I've even seen one now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Rabbits. Lightning Bugs. Honey Bees. Mocking Birds. Hummingbirds.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Interesting
Ive seen both this week
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bobwhite quail.
View Quote

I hear them, but seldom see 'em.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Salamanders. It’s been at least 25years
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Fire flies.  Used to be everywhere in Montana now you never see them
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't live in their territory any more, but I miss "horny toads." They were as common as dirt when I was a boy, but even when I was living in the coastal desert, I saw only one over the span of 20-some years.
View Quote

Saw a Horny toad yesterday and a leopard lizard today when shooting the Kibler.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Snipes
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
13-lined ground squirrels

Many years ago we were plagued by them.  They were digging up my entire yard…destructive little bastards.

View Quote

All over here.  I've shot several this year.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Bats are making a comeback after a spell of whitenose disease a couple years ago
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lightning bugs
View Quote

And horny toads.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I can't remember the last time I saw a chipmunk or lady bug.  Hell, I rarely even see the Asian lady bugs anymore and about 20 years ago we had an absolute infestation of them.
View Quote

I see ladybugs all of the time.  My birch tree is infested with their larvae, and the adults always sneak into my house in the fall.  I still get aphids, though.

Chipmunks constantly eat my strawberries.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And horny toads.
View Quote

beat like a red headed stepchild
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#37]
We've got way less rabbits, doves, quail, prairie chickens, turkeys, lightning bugs, muskrats and I haven't heard a whippoorwill in years. What we do have more of... ticks, flies, owls, hawks, coyotes and squirrels.
Central MO.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#38]
-Cottontail rabbits are now very rare in my area of upstate NY. The ones that turn up are dinner for one of the many predators.
-Grouse are getting sparse, one or two on rare occasions. As a kid you could jump several at a time.
-Gray Foxes have dissapeared and Red Foxes have moved in.
-Pheasants have always been rare.
-Fat gray squirrels are a thing of the past as they never live long enough to get fat. I blame the banning of DDT.
-Old Black bears. The state opened bow season earlier and bears have been fair game on the opening day of rifle for a number of years now and that I believe has taken its toll on the bear population in my area. You just do not see as many.

-Snowshoe rabbits have been gone for at least 30 years.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#39]
You know instead of making daily threads here you could keep a diary.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Rabbits. Lightning Bugs. Honey Bees. Mocking Birds. Hummingbirds.
View Quote

Damn.  Can't remember the last time I saw a honey bee working a flower garden.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go outside?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Snipe ARE real BTW...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe

Make for damned challenging wingshots too.  Very humbling to hunt them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Go outside?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go outside?

I do.  How 'bout dropping some of that edge you seem so proud of?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

No thanks. I have flowers outside with bees on them all of the time. I see rabbits pretty regularly. Not at my house but around town. After a few days away from here this place seems more out of touch than usual.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No thanks. I have flowers outside with bees on them all of the time. I see rabbits pretty regularly. Not at my house but around town. After a few days away from here this place seems more out of touch than usual.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah well at MY ten acres, that I am outside constantly taking care of, I haven't seen a honeybee in forever.  Keep location in mind when you tell another fellow member to "go outside".
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah well at MY ten acres, that I am outside constantly taking care of, I haven't seen a honeybee in forever.  Keep location in mind when you tell another fellow member to "go outside".
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We've got way less rabbits, doves, quail, prairie chickens, turkeys, lightning bugs, muskrats and I haven't heard a whippoorwill in years. What we do have more of... ticks, flies, owls, hawks, coyotes and squirrels.
Central MO.
View Quote

You know what exterminates a whole lot of your list? Feral Cats. They are a cancer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Pheasants

Link Posted: 6/2/2024 5:24:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Horned toads.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top