Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
Previous Page
/ 3
Next Page
10/21/2018 8:24:12 AM EDT
I can remember coming home from grade school back in the 60's and feeling my heart sink with the first whiff of curry powder. My mother would occasionally make this recipe of lamb chunks in curry gravy over rice. Made my gag reflexes go into overdrive.

I've done a 180 since then. I like curries be they Indian, Indonesian, or West Indian.
10/21/2018 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]
My dad doesn't like it.  My dad is crazy.

I love curries of all kinds, and the hotter the better.
10/21/2018 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Curry is fucking dumpster mud.
10/21/2018 8:33:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I like curry.

Butter chicken is
10/21/2018 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Almost always love it, but that being said, “curry” is a really broad category.
10/21/2018 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Just the smell of curry turns my stomach.
10/21/2018 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I love curry and have had it in many places in the world with Rajasthan being my favorite (and Little India in Singapore being my second)
10/21/2018 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm on the like side.  I really love spicy foods.  The last few years jalapenos and other pepper spices have really caused me stomach issues at times.

Curry does not.  I can get it "crying" hot with no problems.

Not a big veggie curry fan but seafood and meats are on my menu!!
10/21/2018 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I love Thai curries. Can't stand Indian curries.
10/21/2018 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I have close assyrian friends. They make the most bomb ass curry.
10/21/2018 8:39:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Is on the will eat list.
10/21/2018 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I added a bit of yellow curry to the last batch of jerky I made. It was quite good.
10/21/2018 8:41:04 AM EDT
[#12]
It depends on whether I'm in the mood for it,  it occasionally it can fill a role that no other food can
10/21/2018 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Curries made with a plastic jar of something called “curry powder” bought at the local grocery store and has been sitting in the cupboard for 8 months will get you dreadful curry.

Pan roasting whole spices, grinding them, adding them to your pot and finishing with mustard seeds, a couple dried red chilies and some fresh curry leaves quickly fried in smoking coconut oil will give you something absolutely exquisite.

Dammit I need to make a Goan fish curry tonight, now....
10/21/2018 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Thai curry? Great. Some varieties are a little odd, but I like most of them.
Vietnamese curry? Just ok.
Japanese curry? Odd, but decent
Indonesian/Malaysian curry? Pretty good
Indian curry? Too broad, ranges from ok to WTF garbage

I’m in the minority here, but I consider Indian to be one of the most overrated of the “great” world cuisines, though some stuff is great. Oddly enough, their home cooking is better than their “high” cooking.
10/21/2018 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Bigger fan of Indian over Thai, but love most curries.

Oskar Blues has a restaurant in town that serves brunch. They have a green curry biscuits and gravy. At first I recoiled at the idea, but thought I would try it. And it's freaking amazing.
10/21/2018 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Sometimes I put curry powder in random stuff like mac and cheese.
10/21/2018 8:48:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I lived in Japan as a boy and served there as a Marine. I’m especially fond of Japanese curries which are a double bastarderdized form of Indian curry via the British Navy to Japanese Imperial Navy in the Meji era. You can buy the Golden brand compressed veg oil and spice curry blocks (looks like a Hershey bar) in the Asian food section at Walmart. It’s not hot and you can get the hot flavor. Add cubed beef or pork, onion, carrot, potatoes, water and I like to add a grated apple. Serve over steamed Japanese rice.

10/21/2018 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Loved the currywurst I was introduced to in West Germany in the early 80.
Loved all of the Thai food I was introduced to in the early 90s, followed soon by the Indian curry dishes.
10/21/2018 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quote History
Quoted:
Just the smell of curry turns my stomach.
View Quote
"Curry" is not a specific dish.

"Curry" has been adopted as a loose term to describe a wide range of dishes made with a range of different ingredients to give a massive variety of flavours and textures.

A restaurant that specialises in asian and/or far eastern cooking which has a variety of "curry" dishes his more likely to present you with a culinary cornucopia of some of the most amazing flavours and textures you will find.

Each of these dishes will have a specific name, such as Shashlik, or Dhansak, Dopiaza, Jalfrezi, Tandoori, Tikka, Sylhet..... and hundreds more.

If you go to a restaurant that sells one "curry" then it is likely to be shit. It invariably ends up as a sloppy brown mess that has a slight 5 spice odour and looks like baby's first attempt at filling a nappy.  This would turn my stomach, to be fair.
10/21/2018 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Quoted:
Loved the currywurst I was introduced to in West Germany in the early 80.
Loved all of the Thai food I was introduced to in the early 90s, followed soon by the Indian curry dishes.
View Quote
The German curry ketchups are delicious!
10/21/2018 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quote History
Quoted:
Curry is fucking dumpster mud.
View Quote
Yeah it is not my thing but I wouldn't call it dumpster mud.  Maybe just mud.
10/21/2018 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Curry is like Jamaican jerk.  It's either awesome or tastes like 3 day old haitian socks.  Best to leave it to a decent restaurant.
10/21/2018 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I plan on going to Hawaii to do 2 things.

See Pearl Harbor/Arizona.

Eat at CoCos.
10/21/2018 9:15:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Love me some Japanese curry.

This place is Vegas is the shit.

http://www.curryzen.com/
10/21/2018 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Love it!
10/21/2018 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Love it. Makes me shit like a volcano 5 times out of 10 but it's worth it going down.
10/21/2018 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#27]
I like it but no one in this area probably know what it is

Mulligatawny soup is the last curry I had and I made it
10/21/2018 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Not a fan, the smell reminds me of the DFAC at COB Speicher.
10/21/2018 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm married to an Indonesian who loves Thai and Indian food.  What do you think.........?  
10/21/2018 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Not a fan of the stuff.
But then I don't like Indian food either.
10/21/2018 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quote History
Quoted:
Just the smell of curry turns my stomach.
View Quote
@Badlatitude

Curry spice mixtures can be highly variable.  It may be you don’t like one particular spice but you’d be OK if it didn’t contain that one?
10/21/2018 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Yum! I love lamb or goat curry.
10/21/2018 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Mmm Chicken misala, Chicken vindaloo. Indian curry for me.
10/21/2018 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#34]
I have several friends who think it is the greatest stuff.

Yes I know it is many different  things.

they keep taking me different places to try different types but I am getting tired of eating dirt.

Next time the try to sneak me into a place that stinks of it I am just walking out !
10/21/2018 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I have curry several times a month. Red, green, yellow. Love it all.
Hot with green mango, and sweet pickled mango  Oh I like plain yogurt too on the side with PITA bread

I was eating lunch for a time at work in the local canteen. It was interesting to say the least. 1 piece of chicken, one piece of mutton or goat ( I guess what was left over after the Thurs. Night party- I keed ) and spicy red gravy with carrot, potato, cardamom, tomato, cinnamon, bay. And a freaking buckets worth of basmati rice. Id say no rice, and they would take my bowl, make fun of me for not taking rice  , then scoop about 4 cups of rice in my bowl

I stopped after a while because it got crazy, not due to the ribbing, I was the token white guy so I was an easy target. It was an Egyptian style curry from what I was told. Good flavor, but it was mainly the real cheap cuts of meat like the neck, and chopped shank. The butchering was pretty rough too like how ever they could chop through it with a cleaver
10/21/2018 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Like it!
10/21/2018 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Love it. Wife and grown daughter both hate it. It's generally a takeout for me, although I do sometimes make a pot at home. H Mart carries everything you need.
10/21/2018 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#38]
I have never tasted curry, I have nothing to add.
10/21/2018 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Quoted:
Curry is fucking dumpster mud.
View Quote
10/21/2018 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Left hand or right hand?
10/21/2018 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quote History
Quoted:
I love Thai curries. Can't stand Indian curries.
View Quote
This! Red curry (made with cayenne) is the best.
10/21/2018 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Having jerked chicken right now. Love me some Vindaloo or Rogan Josh!!! Also a big fan of Thai green curry.
10/21/2018 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Love it and use it in my rice noodle soup all the time.

And since we don't do Pezies (anti gun CEO), I go to Savory Spices...much better store.
They have Ghost Peeper Curry spice and it's great...

You can also put this in mac and cheese for a nice treat.
10/21/2018 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#44]
When its done right its great but when its done wrong its like liquid Poop.
10/21/2018 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm not a fan...
10/21/2018 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#46]
currywurst is the best kind of wurst.
10/21/2018 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#47]
The only curry that leaves me is the chinese take out which must be with generic curry powder.  Flat tasting turmeric colored.

I love Indian and Thai.  I am partial to Thai green curry.
10/21/2018 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Can't get past the smell and I always think it's covering up some kind of Indian filth.
10/21/2018 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#49]
I loves me some indian food, Indonesian laksa is something amazing.
10/21/2018 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Indian and Thai are soooooooo good. Chicken Tikka Masala, Butter Chicken, and Thai Red Curry/Panang/Gang Gai, etc.

I’ve started making Thai Red Curry at home. I’m always trying to duplicate restaurant recipes at home and do a LOT of research. The key to a great Thai Red Curry is the paste you start with. You want Mae Ploy:

Amazon Product
  • Mae Ploy, Red Curry Paste
  • 35oz Tub, 1000g

And the brand of Coconut Milk makes a WORLD of difference. Still nailing that down, but I’ve heard Arroy-D is the preferred brand.

ETA: You cannportion that tub into bags and freeze it, too.

ETA2:  a lot of Indian restaurants (with awesome food) use MDH brand:

Amazon Product
  • No more description

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

Previous Page
/ 3
Next Page