BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Heaven forbid we show white people and black people being kind and friendly to each other.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depiction of Uncle Remus as a post slavery bojangles entertaining de white chirren. So, yes. Feels. Or, as Disney put it -   "outdated cultural depictions”

Zippity doo dah

https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/1544455/song-south-disney-plus.jpg

Heaven forbid we show white people and black people being kind and friendly to each other.

Its never happened!!! There has never been kindness between the races. Every time I see a black or brown person I yell offensive things and try to get one over on them. At least that's what Hollywood would have you believe. The truth is far less interesting. People tend to hang out with others that they share an affinity with. Race can factor. Socio-economic definitely does. Religion is part of the socio. Forcing people through those barriers is what is going to cause violent snap backs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have you seen us,

Uncle Remus?
View Quote

We look pretty sharp in these clothes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:19:58 AM EDT
[#3]
My mom and dad had a cat named Tar Baby.  I always thought it was a interesting name for a cat.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Loved it as a kid. I have a copy I got of the interwebz years ago and my kids watched it along with the other Disney classics before this woke BS started.

Watching it as an adult, uncle Remus is portrayed as a positive influence. Once more case of indigent outrage over something those outraged probably didn't even take the time to watch/read/understand.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#5]
They've created a term "magical negro" and used it to claim that having character who is wise, compassionate and helps the characters grow be black is somehow a bad thing.
Having white characters be positively influenced by black characters is verboten.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#7]
We stumbled across a DVD copy. We might have to watch it with the kids tonight.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I can remember going to the theatre and watching it when I was little.  One of my favorite all time movies from being a kid.  Family member bought the book to read to their kid and they said “we can’t read it because it’s all slang”.
I sat there looked over it a few times and then read the story to my family members child.  He loved it and it brought back memories for me. I need to find a copy of that book for me.
View Quote

The books (there were six or eight) the film is based on were written by Joel Chandler Harris.  It is sad that they are considered racist today, as they are literally African folk tales re-told with animals native to North America as the characters.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why was it banned in the US? feels?
I grew up watching this movie. (born 1964)
View Quote

Feels is why it was banned. It depicted slaves as happy and content. IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#10]
As a kid learning piano I played "Dixie".

Old times they're nev'r forgotten. Look away,  look away .....
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I saw it in the theatre lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Another one you'll never see again.
Banned Bugs Bunny Racist Scene
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I can always remember my dad singing zippity doo dah when he was happy
good memories
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why was it banned in the US? feels?
I grew up watching this movie. (born 1964)

Even though it supposedly takes place during Reconstruction.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top