Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/7/2022 5:48:55 PM EDT
Do police have a duty to protect minors given that the state takes the position that CPS/DFS/etc have state authorities to protect minors?
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Legal duty or moral duty?
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty sure the Supreme Court ruled along the lines of since they have a duty to protect the public as a whole, they can't be held responsible for not protecting individuals.

From a case where a chick called about an intruder and the cops sat outside and did nothing, maybe in D.C.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty sure the Supreme Court ruled along the lines of since they have a duty to protect the public as a whole, they can't be held responsible for not protecting individuals.

From a case where a chick called about an intruder and the cops sat outside and did nothing, maybe in D.C.
View Quote

But now we have the awkward situation of a school district police department who’s only job is to enforce the law in district buildings and protect students and staff of the school. A police department who seemingly failed to act accordingly to their mandate.

This raises the question of how the Supreme Court would treat a police department charged with protecting the common public versus a school district police department whose charter is entirely different.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't give a shit about your kids.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

This gives the impression that you’re in law enforcement. If so, have you ever wondered why public sentiment towards your profession is at an all time low?
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you mean like flashbang in a crib kind of protect?

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, what do you mean by 'protect' children? That's kind of a wide open question. Police are mandated reporters on cases of child abuse/neglect etc if that's what you mean.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:23:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Cops have no legal responsibility to help anyone!

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uvalde PD is probably hiring.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty sure no duty to protect for police.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]
No one said "protect and serve" what... fine print and all.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Woman and her two roommates held hostage and repeatedly raped. One managed to call 911.

Cops did a drive-by, didn't hear or see anything, then went to get donuts.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
That case was Warren v. District of Columbia

There was a more recent case, Castle Rock v. Gonzales which involved 3 children being murdered because The Police failed to enforce a restraining order.

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Cops have no legal responsibility to protect anyone
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do if they are hired for that job.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#20]
lol

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Warren vs DC
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Sure dosent seem like it...
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There was a more recent case, Castle Rock v. Gonzales which involved 3 children being murdered because The Police failed to enforce a restraining order.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A guy has a restraining order against him yet he willfully ignored / violated it?...
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The whole FPNI question again….
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#25]
No but they should have the integrity and the will to,
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A guy has a restraining order against him yet he willfully ignored / violated it?...
View Quote

Seems like a man of low moral fiber
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Disregard this trolls response.

I dont have a legal responsibility to respond but I do morally. Last time I straddled a corpse was doing CPR on a woman my age after she ran off the road and died. My wife pronounced her dead on the scene when the troopers arrived. I can still feel the creipitus to this day.

I am a federal agent as many of you know. We arent all fucktards.

That girls death still haunts me.

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't count on it. And even if they did... Don't count on it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

deshaney v winnebago and gonzales v castle rock

eta: deshaney is related to social services
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

See my post above
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:40:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Police have no leagl duty to protect anyone.  That said their job and their retirement plans should be revoked if they refuse to do what's expected of them .unions will never let that happen habit men who are trusted to protect and run in fear while a school is being massacred should have big consequences
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

A school house full of kids is as close the public welfare as you can get.  Particularily considering the States duty in regards to minors coerced into it's care.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#34]
They only have a duty to protect them to ensure the Clinton family can traffic them from Haiti to Comet Pizza and the goods remain intact. Q

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#36]
In Illinois, DCFS has had several children die whose safety they were supposed to ensure.  The head of this agency has been held in contempt of court several times, but nothing ever happens to anybody.  Records are lost or non-existent.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Do police have a duty to protect minors given that the state takes the position that CPS/DFS/etc have state authorities to protect minors?
View Quote

Let's ask Warren...

the duty to provide public services is owed to the public at large, and, absent a special relationship between the police and an individual, no specific legal duty exists"
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#38]
No.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#39]
No legal obligation to successfully protect someone is not the same as no duty to intervene.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File

This is a mural on the Hallettsville, TX police department so surely they would protect the children!

I saw this months ago for the first time and it made me want to throw up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#41]
They are happy to write you a ticket on your way to work.
If someone is popping off people at your work place don't wait for them to show up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#42]
The prevailing culture in my department is in the event of a mass shooter there are no excuses.  If you can't face that, go elsewhere because everyone is hiring.  When you think about it that's kind of messed up but we do what we do.  My wife understands there is one circumstance where coming home isn't Job One.  She doesn't like it but I am what I am.  

I have to say that in my locale, that is pretty much the mind set of most of the cops I know.  We are a weird bunch.  I hope we never have to fight like we train.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#43]
The courts have ruled repeatedly that the police have absolutely no duty to protect individuals.
This applies to every state agency from police to CPS.

Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#44]
I would argue all adults in society have a general obligation to protect young children.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what a troll is
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#48]
police exist to generate funds in tickets.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:00:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The prevailing culture in my department is in the event of a mass shooter there are no excuses.  If you can't face that, go elsewhere because everyone is hiring.  When you think about it that's kind of messed up but we do what we do.  My wife understands there is one circumstance where coming home isn't Job One.  She doesn't like it but I am what I am.  

I have to say that in my locale, that is pretty much the mind set of most of the cops I know.  We are a weird bunch.  I hope we never have to fight like we train.
View Quote

Not weird at all.

Honorable.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top