Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2017 4:03:19 PM EDT
Friend of mine wants to take a bunch of pictures of pretty women holding guns, print them into calendars, and sell them at the gun show. (Neva bin dun befo, right?) Thinks this will be a real money maker, and has already gone as far as to buy props and camera lighting equipment for photoshoots. Part of his plan is to have local gun shops advertise in it to offset his costs.

Personally, I have never purchased a calendar in my entire 38 years of life. The times I did have a calendar hanging in the garage with pretty women in it, it was a freebie from a trade show or was some other sort of free promotional shwag (one of them came from a local scrap yard, in fact). I think he's crazy for spending time and money on such a thing, but I'm also a skeptic by nature. What do you guys think? Poll incoming.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, in December when they're 50% off, or in January when they're 87% off
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't remember ever buying a calendar since so many places give them away.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
nope

employer prints out one every year.

vendors drop the big wall hangers off
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy one of those weekly planners for church stuff.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#5]
the few calendars i have ever had were freebees.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Being in the construction field we get bundles of them from local rental/supply/etc companies every new year. It's kind of a pointless thing these days since everyone has a phone on them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Dillon already has such a calendar available.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Jack Daniels' sends me a free one very year. Why would I spend my own money on one?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the few calendars i have ever had were freebees.
View Quote

Exactly. The other part of this that seems doubtful is getting gun shop owners to spend money on advertising.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Hell no

My mother in law buys is three calenders every year for Christmas.  They go in the trash as soon as she leaves
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes. 

Usually Magpul, but apparently they were too busy last year and it got put off. So I got a hotshots calendar. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a smart phone, Outlook on my PC and MAC, and iPad why would I need to buy a calendar.  If EMP hits I am not going to care what day it is I can tell the month by the position of the sun and stars.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I get them as gifts sometimes but the last "calendar" I bought was called an iPhone 7.  The ones I get as gifts rarely even get looked at
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Every year I buy a Hot Shots and a 1,000 places to see before you die. I guess I didn't get the memo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll try to keep a very long story as short as possible.

I was involved in a calendar project that supported the Wildlife Center of Virginia (WCV). They are housing a Bald Eagle (named Buddy) that was deemed non-releasable due to a defective beak.  Rather than euthanize him, they kept him and trained him as an educational animal. Buddy was in a very small enclosure and some of us felt that he needed something bigger, being such a regal bird and all.  Well, there was a group of semi-professional photographers taking pictures of the nest were Buddy was born in the Norfolk Botanical Gardens.  We encouraged those generous folks to donate their images and a woman in VA put this calendar together. My main contribution to the project was to include "Buddy Bucks" , similar to how companies round up your purchase price and donate it as an NRA contribution.  We have raised tens of thousands of dollars (I forget the actual number) for the WCV.

The difference between my story and yours - The Wildlife Center is a nonprofit organization.  They run strictly on donations

Links for those interested:

WVC - Buddy  worth a quick read

Garden of Eagles calendar
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Wife buys the Farmer's Almanac Gardening calendar every year.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to buy the Rguns calendar when they still did those. It was similar to your friend's idea but with NFA guns and naked chicks that probably worked the day shift at a strip club.

Now I buy the Acting Outlaws calendar since Katee Sackhoff and Tricia Helfer are actually hot and the money goes to their charity.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Every year I buy a Hot Shots and a 1,000 places to see before you die. I guess I didn't get the memo.
View Quote

How do they cram 1000 places to see before you die into a 12-month calendar?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Your friend is an idiot.

1) The calendar idea is a loser
2) Even if he had a good product concept, which he doesn't, he should have hired a professional photographer.   Good / expensive cameras don't make you a good photographer any more than an expensive rifle makes you a good shooter.
3) Even if he was going to do the photos himself, he could have rented camera gear instead of buying it.
4) Since he bought the gear, he will never get his money out of it
5) Your friend has fantasies of fucking the models.  He's an idiot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I used to buy the Rguns calendar when they still did those. It was similar to your friend's idea but with NFA guns and naked chicks that probably worked the day shift at a strip club.
View Quote

The girls he's had out at his place for shoots so far have been decent looking. Doesn't matter, really, because Photoshop can do wonders.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Haven't bought a calendar in years.  Stopped when I was able to sync my online calendar across all my computers, tablets, and phones.  If I need something printed out I'll just go into Outlook and print out one that already has all my appointments listed.

I do keep a small calendar given to my by our insurance agent on my work desk but sometimes it is a month or two before I rip off the out-of-date months.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

This girl has sold a lot of calanders.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I buy calendars...

... for old people.  For some reason old people really like calendars as gifts
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Tell your buddy that the crack he is smoking has been laced with stupid.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Your friend is an idiot.

1) The calendar idea is a loser
2) Even if he had a good product concept, which he doesn't, he should have hired a professional photographer.   Good / expensive cameras don't make you a good photographer any more than an expensive rifle makes you a good shooter.
3) Even if he was going to do the photos himself, he could have rented camera gear instead of buying it.
4) Since he bought the gear, he will never get his money out of it
5) Your friend has fantasies of fucking the models.  He's an idiot.
View Quote

Agreed on the calendar concept being a "loser". To be fair, though, he can use the camera lighting equipment to take pictures of the products he already sells, which have been fairly successful and lucrative for him.

As for wanting to fuck the models, pretty sure he already does fuck the one to whom he's married. The others are mostly friends of her's, and she does have some nice looking friends.

He's just got this one idiot plan. Overall, I like to think he's far from an idiot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#26]
If the tool companies still made titty calendars (do they?), I'd probably snag one for the garage as a bit of a nod to nostalgia. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#27]
My wife buys a calendar for the fridge.  I'm not going to put a sexy girl calendar on the fridge.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My wife buys a calendar for the fridge.  I'm not going to put a sexy girl calendar on the fridge.
View Quote

Why not?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#29]
We have three in our house.
Wife has a manatee one in her bathroom, a scenic one in the kitchen, and I have a Weapon Outfitters one in my guncloset, err...I mean armory.
If WO doesn't do one, I'll get a Dillon.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Agreed on the calendar concept being a "loser". To be fair, though, he can use the camera lighting equipment to take pictures of the products he already sells, which have been fairly successful and lucrative for him.

As for wanting to fuck the models, pretty sure he already does fuck the one to whom he's married. The others are mostly friends of her's, and she does have some nice looking friends.

He's just got this one idiot plan. Overall, I like to think he's far from an idiot.
View Quote
Fair enough.

And I actually do buy a calendar every year, but it's a pocket weekly planner (no pics) for recording my job locations, hours, and mileage for tax purposes.  I've got 'em going back 20+ years.  Yeah, I could do it on a phone.  But phones come and go, and when you get audited, your old phone from 3 years ago might be dead or gone.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Our fridge calendar comes from the Chinese restaurant where we always order delivery. "You wan carendar?"
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:06:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I buy a calendar every year to hang in my office even though I have Outlook on my computer.  I like having a nice picture on the wall.

I would never buy a calendar featuring attractive women because I can't put something like that up in my office since it would be seen as sexual harassment.  I'd jump on a calendar that had well done photos of historic or interesting firearms particularly if it included data about the firearm.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I buy them as gifts for my mom sometimes (at her request).  I bought one for myself exactly once, but it was more of a donation for a local charity.  "Rock girl" contestants from the local radio station.  Wouldn't have bought it if not for the charity.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I buy one every year, because I like being able to glance up from the computer and look at it as needed. They're usually from the $5 display at Walmart, and this years calendar is Ford Pickups.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I buy one at the dollar store for work and the NRA sends me one every year for the house.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I buy the WV Dept. Natural Resources calendar every year and I get a couple of the local hardware store calendars.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I have never bought a calendar in my life and when someone gives me one I throw it away. I don't use them. The ones on my computer and phone work fine.

My parents had them when I was growing up but in the digital era it is so much better to have one that syncs and can be viewed anywhere. The wife and I even have our calendars synced on our phones so either of us can add shit to it and we both have it.

A paper calendar is about as useful as a typewriter to me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Buy at least four a year. Two Virginia Wildlife (one home, one work), one for my shop and a pocket for work/personal stuff.

We get a ton of freebies at work and my lgs usually has a stack of free ones too. They didn't this year.

I use my phone more often than I used to though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I make calendars for our Aerospace division, so I always make a couple for myself....

there's a market, but  if your friend thinks he's going to be able to sell them for much more than his cost, he will be in for a surprise.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I get the free titty ones at work from the tool sales guys.

Reminds me, I need to check march out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#42]
if they are topless I will buy a calendar...

I am in the process of buying my first home and from what I remember as  a kid all the coolest garages had tits out calender's.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Jack Daniels' sends me a free one very year. Why would I spend my own money on one?
View Quote

Came to post this!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Nope.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I bought one from the dollar tree.  It has cats on it.  It's even full size.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Now I buy the Acting Outlaws calendar since Katee Sackhoff and Tricia Helfer are actually hot and the money goes to their charity.
View Quote

Ed
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#47]
For several years, I tried to get enough volunteers to do a "Ladies of Arfcom" calendar in the BOTD forum, but it never got off the ground.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Only for work
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#49]
One desktop calendar only. Everything else is a freebie from the banks,etc
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If the tool companies still made titty calendars (do they?), I'd probably snag one for the garage as a bit of a nod to nostalgia. 
View Quote

Snap-on doesn't even have girls in their calendars anymore.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top