Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have about 1,200 movies on my media server, but I am keeping my DVD’s for back up.   Why ditch them if you have the room?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a bunch and need to find a used VCR so I can record a show that is on at the same time as another I watch. I ditched cable and use an antenna that gives me the major networks in high def, along with local crap and some channels that I didn't know we had, so I get 50 channels for free.  I do miss the DVR I used to have but my cable/landline/net bill went from $170 a month down to $45 to only have internet at 200 mbps and that's it.
View Quote
Look for a used Tivo with a lifetime service on it. It’ll work with aerial and you’ll have better resolution, better features, and so on. I have 3 of them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Any easy, plug and play way to download the CD's and DVD's to a solid state hard drive that will work with a modern TV?
Does a dank, unused room generally hurt discs while in storage?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Still watch vhs at times. Have a lot of hunting videos in that format.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any easy, plug and play way to download the CD's and DVD's to a solid state hard drive that will work with a modern TV?
Does a dank, unused room generally hurt discs while in storage?
View Quote
MakeMKV + Handbrake for movies, just rip the CDs using any normal software.

Modern smart TVs can pull from any number of sources, but I always recommend Plex. It's got a UI that most people will find familiar, and it just works out of the box.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
NES, Sega Genesis, Atari 2600, PS2 and Wii games, VHS, CDs, tapes, records, DVD and Blu-ray.

Still play game systems when I have time.  VHS for my daughters to watch old Disney movies, they don't care about resolution, and I got most of them free. Still buy CD/LP/DVD/Blu-ray.  Even with 320kps Mp3, they sound better.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I put my music cd's and movie dvd's in those folders that allow you to get rid of the original cases.

All the vhs tapes and 2 working players went to a friend who was doing a yard sale after cleaning out a house where grandma passed and all the vhs tapes and players were going in that yard sale as well.

If stored poorly you can get mold or something on vhs tapes and it messes with the players and overall I have to say that with amazon prime and free streaming I saw no need to keep the old vhs stuff.

I kept dvds and music cds for when power is out and running laptop on batteries or out where there is no signal to stream stuff.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a small pile of CD's.

And I still have all of my Gameboys including 2 OG 1989 DMG-01 up to the GBASP.  I need to buy a GBA Micro to finish up my collection.  I also have a bunch of games!

All in all, it wouldn't even fill up a regular sized Amazon box.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Sometimes it's cheaper to buy DVDs and digitize them rather than buying the digital copies. I just did this with the Castle TV series collection. It was far cheaper to buy each season on DVD than to pay Apple or Amazon for their digitized versions. It takes my time to digitize them but I just do it in the background. So I still have every DVD I've ever purchased, starting with the very first one that EVERYONE ever purchased, The Matrix.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Threw out my CDs a few years ago. I don’t even own a CD player other than the one in my newer car.

Still have the DVDs and no way to play them lol
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Can’t get rid of them...
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use dvds and cds regularly.  I still buy both.   Why fix what isn't broke?
View Quote
Yeah, I haven't moved on to the newest/greatest whatever either.

I have them and I use them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Never had any games.

Tossed almost all of my VHS tapes with the exception of some stuff you can't get on DVD.
I never watch it because the quality is shit.

I tossed all of my cassette tapes 4 years ago.
I tossed all of my 8-Track tapes 30+ years ago.
I sold all of my records 10+ years ago.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I had my NES from 1985 till about 4 years ago.
I had the light gun, power pad, and about 35 games.
Punch out, contra, do key long, all the super Mario games.

Sold it for 500 and got a reloading setup.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, and I think I need to sell it all.  Once the youngest kid out grows the remaining kid oriented VHS tapes all those should go.  I should ebay all my SNES stuff, donate tons of books, recycle/donate tons of fiddly stuff we never use.  I could probably get rid of 80% of what we have and not miss it.  But actually doing it is daunting.  Maybe today is the day to start.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#16]

I have a similar silver disc collections (CDs, DVDs, SACDs and DVD~As).

I'd sell all the hardware before I'd sell my software.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a  4 game Pong  consol that is powered by D Cell batteries
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Family vhs tapes saved for posterity. Looked into having them digitally converted. Too expensive.
Old selfmade cassettes from college. The factory made ones went to the library book sale years ago.
Still play CDs in the car
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If so, are you just keeping them, or using them?
Got a bunch of this stuff, but just can't bring myself to get with the times and get everything digital.
I'll bet some of the VHS doesn't even work.
Not sure about the games and stuff, as I understand that a lot of the old NES, Super NES, N64, etc type stuff looks like shit on a modern TV.
View Quote
Whatever you do, do NOT throw out old video games.  some of them sell for good money.  I would sell after looking at completed listing on Ebay to see what the real value is.

Nothing wrong with VHS tapes.  Problem is most of the VCR's have broken down.  DVD's were good enough for most shows and movies.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I digitized most DVDs and CDs that I watch/listen to regularly years ago.

I might look into getting with the times and digitizing my Blu Rays, but most of the ones I watch on a regular basis came with a digital copy, so I don't know that it's all that big of a deal.

The rest will eventually land in the Walmart bargain bin, with a digital copy and I'll take the lazy way out then, too. Probably.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I collect old SNES games for my boys, better than giving them modern shit.  If anyone has old snes games hit me up!
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Lots of CD's still. We don't buy them anymore, but we're not going to trash  the ones we have without ripping MP3 files from them.

But who has the time?

About 70-80 VHS tapes still on the shelf, after getting rid of some in a garage sale for 25 cents each. Will end up in the trash.

About 30 S-VHS tapes we shot of the kids as they were growing up back in the late 1980s-late 1990s. I finally shipped them off and paid about $300 to have them digitized to 49 MP4 files. Tapes don't hold up well in storage and you can see tracking errors in the digital files.

Kids still have their old GameBoy, Super Nintendo, N64, etc. cartridges and consoles. Retro gaming on the original consoles (as opposed to emulators) is a thing. But all that shit is their responsibility, not mine.

What about the almost-1000 vinyl LPs in the back of the coat closet?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have HUNDREDS of VHS tapes.
And 5 or 6 players.

Watch them regularly.
Usually get tapes for $0.25.

Still have a big box of 8 track tapes too
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Google "DOSBox". You can find most DOS games by googling too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was rustling around at my father's house yesterday trying to find my old CIV I, Oregon Trail, Treasure Mountain and Manhole floppy disks. I miss the old classic DOS games, lol. I gave all of my old PC game CDs/DVDs to a coworker years ago.
Google "DOSBox". You can find most DOS games by googling too.
I've got DOSBox on my laptop. I still wanted to find the old disks though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#25]
bunch of VHS but no VHS player
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top