BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SSDI is theoretically calculated on what you earned prior to becoming disabled and your degree of disability.  What were you earning before you became disabled?  Also, not familiar with the cost of living in SE Alaska; but surprised it is very high.  Can you tell me more about that?
View Quote

If you had to import 87% or more of what people consume there it gets costly real quick.....

ETA...beat
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I’m fortunate to have a relatively low mortgage payment, but my utilities run around $450 per month. Plus $300 for condo fees. And food is really expensive due to the barge/freight costs. And gas is still over $5 a gal.
View Quote

First, I noticed you didn't comment on what you were earning previously. And that's none of my business. I asked because I was trying to help someone with their SSDI application, and we submitted the whole bill - multiple doctor's records, the underlying medical tests, etc.  And SSDI still hasn't responded yes or no after almost a year.  We've even had their doctor assess us and he is puzzled on the delay.  As a cynic and outsider, I think they are hoping the applicant dies before they answer.

I can see food being pricey in AK due to freight and while AK is a big source of oil/gas, it is a long ways from most refinieries.  Not sure what the housing situation there looks like.  Last time I was there was Anchorage in 1997.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#3]
When I young and dumb, I dated a Hungarian Ukrainian girl, whose brother was into these medicare scams and SS scams.

Long story short, he was one of those running these seminars in Ukraine and Russia on how to enter the US, get a business license and start bilking ss and medicare for fraudulent setups.

Him and his business partner was one of those people that John Stossel did a hidden camera on.

Basically, they come as tourist, get a business license in Florida or some other place, and find willing people to get something like a wheelchair for someone on medicare. They order it and they charge some weird amount. They deliver it and they get their cut.

It's one of those late night informercial style setups that ran all over Russia and Ukraine in shady setups.

how to do this..how to do that.....

Honestly.... I'm for cutting fraud and waste.....and I hate to say it but Obama was partially right on how we can save billions if we can cut the fraud and waste down.

Lots and LOTS of scams on the system and we all pay for it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:55:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Shitpost troll thread to stir up shit between age groups on Arfcom.   Great move; we need more divisiveness among ourselves.
Plus your shitty poll (or pole to GDers) is so clearly biased to make it obvious that, unless you support SS cuts, you must be a Dim or RINO
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 1:17:20 AM EDT
[#5]
End it
Steal my money for those in it
My descendants never pay a dime into it
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 1:43:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Shitpost troll thread to stir up shit between age groups on Arfcom.   Great move; we need more divisiveness among ourselves.
Plus your shitty poll (or pole to GDers) is so clearly biased to make it obvious that, unless you support SS cuts, you must be a Dim or RINO
View Quote

Well, certainly the poll options reflect bias. But was he wrong?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 1:53:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So you are willing to give away the maybe $500,000 you put in over the last 40 years?  Are you are an idiot or never were forced to pay into it to begin with?
View Quote

lol no one has put in $500k
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:00:11 AM EDT
[#8]
We have a lot of able bodied people drawing on SS early for bogus disabilities.  I know one person drawing ss having never paid in.  I know two people under the age of fifty drawing disability but having no problem doing whatever physical activity that they want and one of them is drawing more a month than I normally make.

Not surprised that over half the people here won't fully pull the plug on "entitlements".

Edit to add I have been paying in full time for 33 years.  I'd cut it just to get this future burden off my children and grandchildren.  People should be ashamed of themselves putting debt on our kids.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:04:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are willing to give away the maybe $500,000 you put in over the last 40 years?  Are you are an idiot or never were forced to pay into it to begin with?

Ah, my separate IRAs and 401ks were well above $500k pre-Biden. If i could have invested the money I was forced to contribute to DC, it would be better still. Has anyone explained compound interest to you?
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:06:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We have a lot of able bodied people drawing on SS early for bogus disabilities.  I know one person drawing ss having never paid in.  I know two people under the age of fifty drawing disability but having no problem doing whatever physical activity that they want and one of them is drawing more a month than I normally make.

Not surprised that over half the people here won't fully pull the plug on "entitlements".

Edit to add I have been paying in full time for 33 years.  I'd cut it just to get this future burden off my children and grandchildren.  People should be ashamed of themselves putting debt on our kids.
View Quote

While that is absolutely true, there are also people who are absolutely 100% disabled who the government will not approve while paying out to the people you mention,
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:19:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I support ending enrollment in SS and Medicare.
IMHO, you cant expect people that have been forced to pay into it for 50 years to walk away empty handed.

View Quote

This, fuck that "do you support cutting" programs I've paid into shit.

/edit:  your poll choices are trollish and stupid

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:27:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMHO, you cant expect people that have been forced to pay into it for 50 years to walk away empty handed.

The poll choices were entirely trollish and stupid.

The people who paid in for 50 years are going to walk away semi-empty handed.  After 50 years, they've likely at least got paid something.  The 40 and 30 year guys are going to get a bag of dicks though. Because the current path is unsustainable and somebody has a big bag to chow down on.  So for those guys, it's just paying to support people who are likely economically better off than them with no real expectation of their turn at the wheel.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:36:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why the fuck should Boomers get paid?
View Quote

Gee, I don't know....maybe because they paid into the shit for 40 or 50 years.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:40:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Gee, I don't know....maybe because they paid into the shit for 40 or 50 years.

View Quote

Assuming you are reading through all the other posts from that one to this (which I don't routinely so no judgement), you'll understand the flaw in that reasoning.  If you skipped ahead, just let me know and I'll explain it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:15:15 AM EDT
[#15]
First thing that should be cut is welfare, EBT, section 8 . WIC
then we can talk
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:28:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I only went back to 1990 as to make an excel spreadsheet was easy and the rates are the same since then.

If you put in the max every year since then it would be $407,116.80 if you include 2023, this includes your employer match.  This is only 33 years of working.

They calculate your highest 35 years for your social security benefits.  So any time before that you just paid in to the system with no benefit later so long as your last 35 were the highest earning.

For this example say you paid in 415k.  If you retired when your 67 and applied for SS at 67 then the max payment would be around $3600 a month.  This would get you 9.6 years of payments to get paid back what was put in out of your benefits.  This doesn't include interest or anything else just straight payments paying you back.

Average life expectancy currently is 76.4 years old, if you started at age 67 and add just the 9.6 years to make you whole....this would be 76.6 years old, you wouldn't get all your shit back but pretty close.

Now on the flip side of this coin...where the ugly truth lies

Say someone averaged after they adjusted prior years for inflation $960 a year for the 35 years.  You could work at a fast food joint at 15 an hour for 64 hours to get this currently....not even two weeks a year and will have only paid in $60 bucks a year towards SS (best to work 1.5hrs a week due to how they calculate quarters earned).  If you use this $60 a year for 35 years it is $2,100, which the 60 isn't adjusted for inflation and this number would be lower.

You would get $864 a MONTH for the rest of your life.  In 3 months you will be making more than you put in.

The Gov loves workaholics that earn the max for 45 years and croak "two weeks" before they retire and start to draw SS.  My Dad lived less than 4 years after he retired....

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:30:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:50:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I support ending it. Anyone that supports social security is a straight up communist. They want to pass their losses onto their children.
View Quote

I support ending all pensions that are supported by tax payer dollars . Social Security is no different than  a government pension .

They promised you a pension to work 20 years  for the feds they promised a pay out when you retire at 62

same thing

end it all

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 3:54:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Assuming you are reading through all the other posts from that one to this (which I don't routinely so no judgement), you'll understand the flaw in that reasoning.  If you skipped ahead, just let me know and I'll explain it.
View Quote

I skipped because I've heard it all before and no matter the argument, those who paid in (under duress) are deserving of some return on that investment.

Talk of "means testing" is utter bullshit as well. How the Hell are you gonna tell those who quite likely paid the most into it that they get nothing?

How can that be anything other than unfair in the extreme?

But I'll entertain your argument, fire away.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:06:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Should be means and legal residency tested for receipt of benefits and the upper income limit for FICA exemption removed.  Those who can well afford to live without the benefits should be cut from receipt of these and no illegal should get them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Uh, you answered your own question.

Without tax helots, there is no system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do we always need to start taking from the workers that actually paid into the system?

Uh, you answered your own question.

Without tax helots, there is no system.

By "taking" I meant taking away benefits or gov't payouts.

Don't give benefits to those that don't contribute.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:14:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I skipped because I've heard it all before and no matter the argument, those who paid in (under duress) are deserving of some return on that investment.

Talk of "means testing" is utter bullshit as well. How the Hell are you gonna tell those who quite likely paid the most into it that they get nothing?

How can that be anything other than unfair in the extreme?

But I'll entertain your argument, fire away.
View Quote

I agree.  It is unfair in the extreme.  It's going to happen because the system is going to break otherwise. What you are effectively advocating for is for the system to steal more money it won't pay back.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I only went back to 1990 as to make an excel spreadsheet was easy and the rates are the same since then.

If you put in the max every year since then it would be $407,116.80 if you include 2023, this includes your employer match.  This is only 33 years of working.

They calculate your highest 35 years for your social security benefits.  So any time before that you just paid in to the system with no benefit later so long as your last 35 were the highest earning.

For this example say you paid in 415k.  If you retired when your 67 and applied for SS at 67 then the max payment would be around $3600 a month.  This would get you 9.6 years of payments to get paid back what was put in out of your benefits.  This doesn't include interest or anything else just straight payments paying you back.

Average life expectancy currently is 76.4 years old, if you started at age 67 and add just the 9.6 years to make you whole....this would be 76.6 years old, you wouldn't get all your shit back but pretty close.

Say someone averaged after they adjusted prior years for inflation $960 a year for the 35 years.  You could work at a fast food joint at 15 an hour for 64 hours to get this currently....not even two weeks a year and will have only paid in $60 bucks a year towards SS (best to work 1.5hrs a week due to how they calculate quarters earned).  If you use this $60 a year for 35 years it is $2,100, which the 60 isn't adjusted for inflation and this number would be lower.

You would get $864 a MONTH for the rest of your life.  In 3 months you will be making more than you put in.

The Gov loves workaholics that earn the max for 45 years and croak "two weeks" before they retire and start to draw SS.  My Dad lived less than 4 years after he retired....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Life expectancy as you have portrayed it is over an entire life time. But someone who has already lived to 67 has a different life expectancy. They are projected to live longer because they already survived being a toddler, teenager, mid life crisis, etc.  

From the latest social security tables, it’s 15+ years for men and 18+ years for women if they are 67.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've been paying in for over 25 years.  I'd be more than happy to call it even if they shut that shit down and I could invest more of my pay how I see fit. Those that have been paying 40ish years and are near retirement will obviously have a different sentiment.
View Quote

You got it, I have paid the Maximum Contribution (+ my company was forced to match that amount) for over 40 years, Thats alot of Chedder + add in compounded interest & that's a Jackpot win!
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#25]
SS and Medicare are earned entitlements for working class.

I would vote for anybody who would remove all government funding from all welfare, all education and all healthcare, for people who have never contributed. Leave all of those to private charity. That's how the wasteful spending is fixed, if anybody was serious about it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Stop sending our money all over the world and they will have plenty for people here. And I'm not a democrat or a rino.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah Im willing to give up my SS benefits and Ive been paying for quite some time.
The whole bullshit about the system is my estate gets nothing if I die.  
Yeah fuck all that.  At least my work "retirement" plan has both a pension and a self-directed option.
I took the self directed option.  
Any plan that benefits from your early death just doesnt sit right with me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Stop sending our money all over the world and they will have plenty for people here. And I'm not a democrat or a rino.
View Quote

If we stop sending our money all over the world, you'd better get used to using only things that can be mined and manufactured here.  And that's going to be a change, and not a gentle or fun one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#29]
SS disability payments are a scam. Cut out paying fat young women benefits for having anxiety and you will spend a lot less.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

By "taking" I meant taking away benefits or gov't payouts.

Don't give benefits to those that don't contribute.
View Quote

My point is the Left views the System in a fundamentally different way that has nothing to do with financial solvency.

Those that don't contribute in their view is nearly entirely due to the inherent biases and racism in the system. Therefore, its incumbent upon people who've gamed the system successfully, or just inherited their wealth via some unearned means like privilege to pay.

I'd say that the issue with this debates is that we assume that the majority of Left views the problem the same way we do. I'd argue that is critically and entirely incorrect.

The Left would love it if you made it solvent via taxes or means testing or whatever, but they will never turn off their taps to their people, be them massive fraud, or a system designed to employ bureaucrats and trial lawyers, or the chronically unemployed or criminal.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If we stop sending our money all over the world, you'd better get used to using only things that can be mined and manufactured here.  And that's going to be a change, and not a gentle or fun one.
View Quote

Then I'd argue we'd save on a massive military. The reality is North and South America COULD be an autarkic system. We chose not to be to benefit the US Chamber of Commerce, not Joe Working Guy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
SS disability payments are a scam. Cut out paying fat young women benefits for having anxiety and you will spend a lot less.
View Quote

I volunteered to help a neighbor with an uncurable neurological disorder, similar to what Bruce Willis has.  Next April, it will be a year with no answer from the feds yay or nay.  I think they are hoping she dies before they have to pay out.  Meanwhile, if she'd just hired an actual SSDI lawyer and kicked back a third of her money, she'd have already been approved and paid.  And her husband has bled his 401k dry at 10% penalties just to keep things going.

I'm kind of slowly rolling over from "you don't know what civil war means" to "it's happening anyway and probably needs to."
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Then I'd argue we'd save on a massive military. The reality is North and South America COULD be an autarkic system. We chose not to be to benefit the US Chamber of Commerce, not Joe Working Guy.
View Quote

I'd agree. North and South America lack the requisite resources for a 21st century military.  You need Africa,
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'd agree. North and South America lack the requisite resources for a 21st century military.  You need Africa,
View Quote

Yeah, some source of REEs would be nice. Likely such a system would include Australia and Japan as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You forgot to also say:
“And fuck all future generations who should be forced to pay for eternity if I don't get mine."
View Quote

I just want back what they stole from me. I couldn’t opt out of the program.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Sad that you don't yet understand how ponzi schemes work.  Also, bad for to do the well there it is gif for your own comment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#37]
I’ve paid into it for almost 40 years. If they give me my money back plus interest I’d be game to end it. If I was in my 20’s and had a choice to not pay and not receive oh hell yes I’d invest on my own.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#38]
SS and the like are going to be in big trouble. As of right now, there is huge decline in births, and there will fewer young people for supporting the system.

The SS worked for awhile because of the HUGE number of baby-boomers. The boomers paid for the previous generation of retirees, ie for our moms & dads, and grandparents. And now the boomers are starting to collect what is owed to them, and they are going through the system like gang-busters, plus they are living longer due advances in medicine. At some point SS will become unsustainable, and that means that Uncle Sam will have to kick taxpayer money to keep the system from going bankrupt.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
SS and the like are going to be in big trouble. As of right now, there is huge decline in births, and there will fewer young people for supporting the system.

The SS worked for awhile because of the HUGE number of baby-boomers. The boomers paid for the previous generation of retirees, ie for our moms & dads, and grandparents. And now the boomers are starting to collect what is owed to them, and they are going through the system like gang-busters, plus they are living longer due advances in medicine. At some point SS will become unsustainable, and that means that Uncle Sam will have to kick taxpayer money to keep the system from going bankrupt.
View Quote

No, the plan is pretty much import a ton of Hispanics to make up for the lack of births/hope they don't use their political power to rewrite the existing social contracts.

If you see the inherent issue with this plan, that puts you ahead of 90% of DC, who regardless of Party believe more in the system than anything else.

Also, you see why there is so much desire to kill populist political movements and stoke racial divisions.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Cutting is one step closer to elimination so, sure!

Quoted:
The answer is to run social security responsibly, instead of using it as the grubby-grab-bag of a ponzi scheme wholly eliminate an unconstitutional welfare program that is not an enumerated responsibility of the Federal government.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
End welfare first
View Quote

Social Security is welfare.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 59 and I support ENDING both of them.

Socialist bullshit.

I'll willingly give up every cent I've paid in for the 20+ years I've been working if it means eliminating 25% of the Federal budget (closer to 50% if we get Medicare/Medicaid with it) and its power the government gets that comes with it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thing is, you're going to either voluntarily or involuntarily.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Still do not see how SS and Medicare is a welfare program when people pay into it. Cut out the SS disability fraud and medicare fraud. Stop giving benefits to illegals who have never paid a dime in and yes it is happening and has been for decades.

Cut real welfare, cut waste in gov't and reduce it size.

Stop all foreign aid and I do not care how small they say it is because every dime of it is debt to us with interest that has to be paid.
View Quote

My grandmother was never employed a day in her life. Never even had a driver's license. My grandpa took care of everything. She started collecting SS the day she was eligible until the day she died.

What would that be called if not welfare?

Straight from the SS website:

https://www.ssa.gov/retirement/eligibility

If you haven't worked and paid Social Security taxes for 10 years or more, we'll still see if you're eligible for a monthly benefit based on a current or former spouse's work.

Between the two of them, I guarantee they took out far more than they paid in, especially given how long my grandpa lived (early 90s).
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Damn, people still use CD's? You really are king boomer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boomer here.  I don't give even a gliding fuck, much less a flying fuck, about the Gen-x, Gen-z, Gen-fuck all cry babies and how they're getting fucked over by my generation.  Not my problem.  Not my tears.  So sad.  Too bad. Deal with it.

My SS hits the bank like clockwork the 2nd Wednesday of the month. That sweet SS deposit of $2000 a month gets put into CDs and buys me a new car every few years.   I mean, the .gov just gives me $2000 and I don't even need it, honestly.  How glorious is that?  If I feel like spending it on hookers and blow, there is no budget busting involved.  It's like they just want me to party like  a 68 year old rock star.

For real! Probably still buys savings bonds too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:56:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boomer here.  I don't give even a gliding fuck, much less a flying fuck, about the Gen-x, Gen-z, Gen-fuck all cry babies and how they're getting fucked over by my generation.  Not my problem.  Not my tears.  So sad.  Too bad. Deal with it.

My SS hits the bank like clockwork the 2nd Wednesday of the month. That sweet SS deposit of $2000 a month gets put into CDs and buys me a new car every few years.   I mean, the .gov just gives me $2000 and I don't even need it, honestly.  How glorious is that?  If I feel like spending it on hookers and blow, there is no budget busting involved.  It's like they just want me to party like  a 68 year old rock star.

I bonds are great right now.  And I am a millennial.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not until we stop all funding to other countries.
View Quote

We could do that (which in a number of cases would be a massive strategic blunder, but definitely not all) and cut the entire DoD and it still wouldn't hold a candle to welfare for old people.

Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, now they are... The last ~15 years, not so much.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#50]
We need an Werther's Originals forum.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top