BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wonder why they chose the Maverick to bring back. Why not the Pinto, Tarus, or Model T.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Ford Maverick has been lambasted as not being a truck.

Many said nobody would buy the sissy version of muh' truck.

Many said it would not sell because of how its not a "true" truck.

Well....it stops taking orders today because they cannot meet demand.

So this brings up the question, will others try to capitalize by rushing in on a market that they missed? Sure there have been failures (Subaru Baja), and limited success(Honda Ridgeline/Hyundai Santa Cruz), but that leaves other manufacturers wanting to copy the Ford Maverick formula more closely to miss out on a sales shift from compact and small sedans to another utility based form factor similar to the reason of a shift to CUVs/crossovers.

So who and what would you like to see from other companies?

Toyota? Dodge? GM? Nissan/Mitsubishi? VW?

Wonder why they chose the Maverick to bring back. Why not the Pinto, Tarus, or Model T.

Model T sounds way too old. Pinto is now associated with beans. Taurus was too recent of a failure and maybe they want to keep it for something else later on?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Honda and Hyundai already build/market a competing 'sissy truck'... Ford is just playing catch-up with their POS.
View Quote

Quote from original post:

So this brings up the question, will others try to capitalize by rushing in on a market that they missed? Sure there have been failures (Subaru Baja), and limited success(Honda Ridgeline/Hyundai Santa Cruz), but that leaves other manufacturers wanting to copy the Ford Maverick formula more closely to miss out on a sales shift from compact and small sedans to another utility based form factor similar to the reason of a shift to CUVs/crossovers.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Model T sounds way too old. Pinto is now associated with beans. Taurus was too recent of a failure and maybe they want to keep it for something else later on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Ford Maverick has been lambasted as not being a truck.

Many said nobody would buy the sissy version of muh' truck.

Many said it would not sell because of how its not a "true" truck.

Well....it stops taking orders today because they cannot meet demand.

So who and what would you like to see from other companies?

Toyota? Dodge? GM? Nissan/Mitsubishi? VW?

They should have gone back to the Ford Courier, which was the spiritual predecessor of the Ranger.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That Chevy one looks laaaame. At least the Maverick looks truckish.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cost of building the crew cab vs a std cab is likely less than 500$. Interior space is far more valuable to the average American than an 8 ft bed. More so when there isnt 4ft between wheel wells. A std tranny transaxle would be another cost since very few would sell.

Ford would be better off building the late 80s type Ranger with a conventional drive train. Build it slightly wider with a longer bed to maintain proportions. 5spd tranny & transfer case behind the 4cyl Ecoboost from the Mustang would be a great drive train. Keep it low with skinny tires and it would rule in snow/ice.
View Quote

Crew cab is structurally necessary for the unibody design, like the huge C-pillar on Ridgelines.

Prior to the Maverick, the big rumor was a Transit/Transit Connect based design. Would have been interesting and allowed for more configurations.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#6]
More manufacturers will jump into the market.  Ford tapped into a market prime - the economy down and average Joe's isn't going to jump into a 50k + truck right now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I want one. If they did a standard cab longer bed on the same wheelbase I'd have a hard time not pulling the trigger. Seems to be the general consensus that you need the crew cab for structural integrity so we'll probably never see one. I think Courier would be a better fit namewise. I heard one rumor that there was a Courier in the works and some people speculated that it might be based on the transit connect. Most likely all bullshit but you never know.

Quoted:

Honda and Hyundai already build/market a competing 'sissy truck'... Ford is just playing catch-up with their POS.
View Quote

I guess your idea of competiting is a bit different than mine. The Honda starts at $17K over the Maverick. The Santa Cruz is closer but I really thing they messed up making it more car like than truck like and I don't think it will do as well as the Maverick.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would love to see the Dodge Dakota brought back.
View Quote

I had one of those and I loved that truck. Then some foreign fuck decided to run into the back of it parked on the street and totaled it out.

I loved the 5.2 L engine (1997).
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the sales of this is gonna push Honda to make a hybrid motor variant of their truck. Why they haven't already is beyond me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
More manufacturers will jump into the market.  Ford tapped into a market prime - the economy down and average Joe's isn't going to jump into a 50k + truck right now.
View Quote

yes and with good enough mpg it will replace a lot of cars. Really thinking about replacing my wifes honda with this.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I did, I bought a 1995 F150 XL ,  300CI, 5 spd manual, brand new, in 1995, for $12,000 + tax out the door.   Still have it, everything original and runs well. Never missed any of the high dollar frills. It gets me where I want to go, pulls, my boat, and been paid for since 1998.  Oh, it does have A/C.

I would buy another just like it tomorrow for $20k, but this is my last truck.
View Quote

Adjusted for inflation you would pay 22K today.

However a new F150 XL starts at 30K. Not bad when you consider the amount of advancement in that time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's a great idea. Vehicles are getting bigger. Sedans, SUV's, etc. Plenty of homeowners need a truck bu don't need a full 1/2 ton. The midsize trucks are almost the same size and cost as 1/2 tons as well.

The same thing with delivery companies and some retail that offers delivery. They need some thing simple, cheap, and relatively fuel efficient to keep their fleet up.
View Quote

The vehicle your referring to already exists in the Ford Transit connect.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the sales of this is gonna push Honda to make a hybrid motor variant of their truck. Why they haven't already is beyond me.
View Quote

It might push them to make a CRV or HRV variant with truck characteristics with less cost.

The Pilot base is too much of a price ask.

An HRV based one would be where it needs to be, but I bet Honda is retarded and are worried that it will eat into Civic sales where they sink a ton of R&D into.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

And widen the price gap further?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honda does hybrid poorly. They should just license Toyotas technology and admit that IMA sucks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 12:18:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bet Fords sells more Mavericks than Hyundai and Honda combined in 2023. Probably did in 22 already.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Crew cab is structurally necessary for the unibody design, like the huge C-pillar on Ridgelines.

Prior to the Maverick, the big rumor was a Transit/Transit Connect based design. Would have been interesting and allowed for more configurations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cost of building the crew cab vs a std cab is likely less than 500$. Interior space is far more valuable to the average American than an 8 ft bed. More so when there isnt 4ft between wheel wells. A std tranny transaxle would be another cost since very few would sell.

Ford would be better off building the late 80s type Ranger with a conventional drive train. Build it slightly wider with a longer bed to maintain proportions. 5spd tranny & transfer case behind the 4cyl Ecoboost from the Mustang would be a great drive train. Keep it low with skinny tires and it would rule in snow/ice.

Just another reason a std cab wont work.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I think Ford will sell the shit out of the Maverick, because of the price.

The Ranger is a nice truck but it's too close to the F150 and too expensive.

If you need a single cab you either  get a Ranger or a F150.

A single cab Maverick would be too expensive for Ford to engineer and to recoup the costs for the limited amount of sales.

Just look at the Jeep Wrangler I see more 4 door than 2 door Wranglers on the road now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah son, this...

Link Posted: 1/30/2022 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Looks great, but never would happen because it would eat into Jeep sales.

Could happen if Chevy decided to make a modern K5 Blazer instead of the crossover turd Blazer that appropriated it's name.

For some reason Chevy hasn't entered in the "off-road and trail" market like Stellantis, and recently, Ford.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#21]
The Maverick name was stupid on a car.
It makes sense for this Cruck

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I hope they all do. Just for the entertainment value alone.

The insecure wailing of "real men" here triggered by a truck slightly smaller than what they own would be epic!
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was thinking more of the 90-94 Toyota pickup. There is no likely way they would be able to make it like they used to even at 20K because of all the emission and “safety” changes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This was supposed to happen when the Gladiator came out sharing the same factory, but I haven't heard anything since. Jeep is probably complaining like Ram was that it will eat into sales. If Ram were to offer a regular cab or a slight extended cab with either no rear doors or the hidden suicide doors like older compacts I'd be in for one. As long as it doesn't look like shit, similar to the last generation of Dakota.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was supposed to happen when the Gladiator came out sharing the same factory, but I haven't heard anything since. Jeep is probably complaining like Ram was that it will eat into sales. If Ram were to offer a regular cab or a slight extended cab with either no rear doors or the hidden suicide doors like older compacts I'd be in for one. As long as it doesn't look like shit, similar to the last generation of Dakota.

I had 3 Dakotas and now have a Gladiator. The size is just perfect for me. I was looking forward to the new Dakota but who knows. I think the issue for Stellantis is the Daks were unique when they were the only true midsize truck out there. Now they’d be just one in a sea of options. And a latecomer at that because they suspended the platform.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tell me you get jealous because of how your wife looks at men driving real trucks without telling me you get jealous because of how your wife looks at men driving real trucks.

View Quote

This sounds like it comes from the mind of a teenager who rarely interacts with an actual woman.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm confident that Ford will be the only one making the Ford Maverick.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Maybe this will finally get Toyota to introduce the Hylux in the US.

I doubt it though, it would cannibalize Taco sales hard.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hilux isn’t really a similar rig to this
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 12:53:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

The hilux is the same size as the Tacoma.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hilux would be subject to the 25% import "chicken tax".  Toyota would have to manufacture it in the US to even have a chance at being competitive.  It's a completely different platform than anything they sell in the US so they'd have to dedicate a new assembly line.  Even if they could get the Hilux to pass US regulations I doubt they'd make money at it.  A low spec Taco would be much easier to test the market with.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I ordered one last week, didn't know they existed prior to that.  We've been needing a new vehicle, wife said a Taco is too big but I think we needed something truckish but smaller than our full sized work truck.  After test driving we were both sold.  To her it looks like a truck, not a car-truck like everything else out there.  She says the Hyundai Santa Cruz is hideous, and the Honda Ridgeline is not even in the same price category.  I'm not small and and the backseat is super comfy to me and it makes our old 4.0 Ranger seem like a snail in the power department.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Volkswagen already didAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#33]
doubtful
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Those could be had with a diesel, stick, and roll up windows. Almost Arf’s dream truck except they were fwd.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#35]
It would be idiotic for them to not follow suit. Trucks have gotten too big and too expensive. The Maverick is the first domestic truck that has actually interested me in years.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top