Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I rented one of these, for less than a day, because of a long story that people don't need to be bothered what.

Long story short - I loved it. Now I want to get some kind of mini van that is comfortable to travel with. Does anyone have any experience with these? I and my spouse currently have hatchbacks. I think they are now called cross overs.

I want to travel with my spouse and two beagles. The dodge caravans seemed reasonable. I know there are other brands like the telluride but if I can't get one in the next few days it doesn't do me any good.
View Quote

Go look at a Kia carnival.

It's nicer than anything on the market right now.

@gitarmac

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:00:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Its pretty nice and yes they are on the lots as we speak

Here is the fanciest version

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Horrible crash test for a 2020
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:11:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Horrible crash test for a 2020
View Quote

Well the caravan is old
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Wife has an Odessey Touring, I wasn’t sold on the mini van idea but she had to have one. Started with an older used Odessey and the wind picked up to 70mph one day and a tree crushed it. If my kids were inside they would’ve been unharmed so I bought her a new one.

Honestly it’s a great vehicle. Gets around 30mpg highway, comfortable seats for road trips and has 8 seats.

Kids got the tv system which is cool. I can also stack 8’ 2x4’s in it with the doors closed. The rear row folds flat which is great, I bought my kids these electric Razor four wheelers. I fit two of them in the van with my kids in the middle row lol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Of you get a minivan, Dodge Grand Caravan is the most utilitarian by far. The stow-and-go seating means no removing seats to access the massive cargo space. When the seats are up, you have tons of in-floor storage. When all the rear seats are folded into the floor, 4’x8’ plywood sheets will fit in the back. Ask me how I know.

Need to haul a washer/dryer? Refrigerator? Dresser? 10’ 4x4s for that fence you’re putting in? Dodge Grand Caravan.

Oh, and you can drive as fast as you want because no cop is looking at minivans as targets of opportunity. The ultimate Gray Man vehicle.

Now here’s the downsides:
- it’s a friggin minivan
- because you have that enormous cabin, road noise tends to resonate. It’s not a very quiet vehicle at high speeds.
- It’s a dodge.
- acceleration sucks unless you can find one with a 4.0 V6
- the 8-speed transmission is very tough by the timing sucks.
- you may go through brake pads a little faster than you’re accustomed to, but they’re not too bad.
- if you want all-wheel drive and much more responsive steering, look at the Chrysler Pacifica. It will cost a bit more and I believe the AWD might eliminate the stow-and-go seating.
View Quote

I've been thinking of getting a beater utility vehicle, but every truck and 4x4 is crazy-insano pricing... just punched Dodge Grand Caravan in google and a 2015 with 37k popped up for $14,900 @ Carmax... I'd seriously never considered a minivan, never driven one... maybe never ben in one, but sounds like could do pretty much everything I need... 20+ gallon fuel tank too
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:38:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Isnt that only overseas? Here its the Sedona or w/e?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Nope its carnival here now too

Already sold a few
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#9]

looks like you could fit some unhealthy, fatass in-laws in there pretty comfortably..
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a 2014 Caravan that the engine starting misfiring at 77k miles. I'll never buy Chysler again. My mother had a 2002 Chevy Venture that she abused and overload towed with and got 300k miles before it died. She's about to buy a new Kia Sedona or Carnival. I like a minivan for the versatility.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I would go for a KIA or Hyundai CUV and just put up with a shitty dealer experience.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted: I can also stack 8’ 2x4’s in it with the doors closed.
View Quote

That doubles the value of that vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I also rented one of these for a one way trip Texas to Nevada.  20 miles west of Albuquerque the rear right tire went flat.  No problem, easy to change a tire.
I start looking in the rear cargo space for the spare, jack, and tools, not there.  So I break out the manual.  It says the spare tire, a donut, is located up under the passenger compartment between the front seats.
The lowering device for the spare is in the console between the front seats.  What a pain so far.  I am down on the ground looking under the vehicle for the spare.
I found the empty space where the spare should have been.
Back to the manual.  Found that a spare tire is optional and that the vehicle may or may not have a spare tire.  If no spare then an air pump and fix a flat can are included.
Found these, put the fix a flat stuff into the tire, waited the specified time then aired it up.
Tire aired up to normal pressure, disconnected the air pump and the fix a flat stuff is leaking out of the tire and the tire is deflating.
The hole in the tire is too big for the fix a flat stuff.
Just something to check if you are buying one of these.

There is not much 20 miles west of Albuquerque in I-40.  Cell service was spotty.  Enterprise rent a car was useless.  Get the vehicle to Albuquerque and they will swap it out.
Left on our own to get it back to Albuquerque.  At least it is late fall and temperatures are not extreme.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Orange interior is queer.
View Quote

It's actually more of a caramel colour

Pic is deceiving
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It was the 2.2 liter TIII motor which had the Lotus head on it. The 3.0 V6 was Mitsubishi based. It didn't share all that much with the engine in the 3000GT VR-4, but there is a little overlap from what I understand. Regardless, the V6 never came with a turbo, and produced worse numbers than the 2.5 turbo.

With a little work, one could make a lighter Caravan/Voyager with the 2.5 turbo and a manual trans move out very easily. Mine is all stock, and it gets 28mpg. I'll probably put a bigger turbo on it and all of my usual tricks for this year's road trip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They kinda already did that in the late 80's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e7qVlrHbYE

The old 3.0 V6 had Lotus-designed heads and Dodge put it in everything from minivans to Dusters to Spirits to the Stealth. Surprising amount of torque paired with a factory twin turbo was... neat.

ETA: oh hell, that was the turbo 2.5 i4! Sub 12 quarter... awesome

It was the 2.2 liter TIII motor which had the Lotus head on it. The 3.0 V6 was Mitsubishi based. It didn't share all that much with the engine in the 3000GT VR-4, but there is a little overlap from what I understand. Regardless, the V6 never came with a turbo, and produced worse numbers than the 2.5 turbo.

With a little work, one could make a lighter Caravan/Voyager with the 2.5 turbo and a manual trans move out very easily. Mine is all stock, and it gets 28mpg. I'll probably put a bigger turbo on it and all of my usual tricks for this year's road trip.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I've driven Chrysler minivans since 1987. For about 30 of those years I worked out those vans as a cabinet man. I would look for a unit with 150K or less miles, and $3K in price.  I never replaced a transmission or had any engine issue.  I only drive the 3.3 engine with 4 speed overdrive Trans.  DON'T LET ANYONE PUT ONE DROP OF TRANSMISSION FLUID OTHER THAN FACTORY CERTIFIED CORRECT FLUID. Oil change places and mechanics will tell you Dextron II or others work just fine. Don't let them. I generally sold the vans at slightly less less than 300K miles for around  $1,900.00. The AC fails about then.

Good qualities include:
Excellent comfort and roomy interior
Drives like a car  with plenty of pep.
Load the back under a covered hatch in case it's raining.
Carry enough plywood for a small set of cabinets in the dry.
Tools in the back are locked and out of sight.

Works for me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#18]
About 10 years ago my ex's parents wanted to take the family on a cruise.  I rented a minivan to drive to Miami to catch the boat. It was actually awesome to travel with.  The parents were already in Fl, so it was my ex and her son and his g/f. Saved a ton of money over airfare renting the van for 10 days and parking at the port for 7 days. I actually really enjoyed driving the minivan on the road trip.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
WTF has happened to this place? Guy starts a thread about wanting a minivan and we’re crawling all over ourselves telling him to get one

We should be busting his balls for 4 pages!!!
View Quote

We're done with minivans now, but they were certainly handy for when the kids were little.  My current stable....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 2016 T&C Limited
Platinum with a lifetime warranty. I LOVE IT!
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:04:49 PM EDT
[#21]
The strongest and most reliable transmission in this pic is the Kitty Cat snowmobile.    Both the Caravan and Spirit transmissions blowed up.    

Granted, this pic is frum a longggggg time ago, but, I never forget how horrible their transmissions were.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#22]
The Pacifica Touring L is by far the best value for a minivan.  We bought one in Jan. 2021 with less than 35000 miles.  OTD we were under 21000.  I think it was $20800.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#23]
A lightly used Dodge Grand Caravan is one of the best deals you can get right now.  They are dirt cheap and with proper maintenance will run for awhile.  The v6 is really peppy and will easily light up the front tires if you get into it.  Huge amount of usable space.  

I personally don't fit too well behind the wheel and longer drives get really uncomfortable but for just around town it's not bad.  My ex-wife drives one and I maintained it for several years and drove it quite a bit.  Honda and Toyota are a huge step up in build quality and comfort but also cost twice as much.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nobody notices a minivan. 2009.  Maroon. Parked on the street, may as well be a jersey barrier.

Tint the windows, remove the middle seat. Room for 6 goons in full battle rattle.

It will be the last thing ANYONE is expecting, when all that hate comes pouring out the doors.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top