Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2024 5:12:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975]
My wife has a Dell desktop that we purchased in 2019. Win 10 Pro that I just upgraded to Win 11. There are two diaplayport outs on the back and she’s using one to go to a single monitor with a displayport in. Coincidentally, I have another identical monitor ready to go from a PC I junked. What do I need to buy to give her both monitors?

I’ve read you can’t simply buy a splitter off Amazon because the display will simply duplicate. Instead, I need some kind of display “extender”? If someone could link me what to buy, that would be awesome. Thanks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just plug a second monitor into the second DisplayPort.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
View Quote

Will it let her move a spreadsheet from one monitor to the other with her mouse?
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 1975:

Will it let her move a spreadsheet from one monitor to the other with her mouse?
View Quote
Yes, that will be in display settings. You can duplicate or extend (drag to the second monitor).
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:39:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slowr1der] [#4]

View Quote

Yes. Just make sure it's set to extend the screen in Windows once you get it hooked up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, easier than I thought. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Wait until you learn you can plug two monitors into the same displayport, and they are both discreet monitors that can show different things.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Click identify and it'll show you what screen is which. You'll be able to drag and drop how you want them arranged.

I run 3 24's on one machine and a 38 curved wide-screen above, connected to another machine. One mouse and keyboard for everything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Look into getting a 34”/35” 1440P Ultrawide monitor instead.

I hate dual monitors after getting mine a few years ago.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Wait until you learn you can plug two monitors into the same displayport, and they are both discreet monitors that can show different things.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is the end result different than doing it the way mentioned above?
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm cheap and had a video card with a HDMI, DVIX and an RS232 Serial conncetor.

I put my main 27" display on the HDMI and the two 19's on the DVIXand RS232 ports.

I didn't have to do anything else except fire it up and they all work fine.

I have two companies that I am a partner in plus my own stuff so I have plenty of real estate to work on what ever comes up during the day.

I also bought one of these.

Link Posted: 9/9/2024 6:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Nope. Gets you to the same place. Displayport allows Multistream where you plug the second monitor into the first one allows you to have quite a few monitors hooked up. GPU capabilities differ obviously.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Nope. Gets you to the same place. Displayport allows Multistream where you plug the second monitor into the first one allows you to have quite a few monitors hooked up. GPU capabilities differ obviously.
View All Quotes

I guess that depends on your preference.

After using both methods I find the lack of a bezel between monitors when going ultrawide to be much more usable when doing productivity work such as spreadsheets with dozens of columns. The bezel in the middle of the spreadsheet drove me insane when using multiple monitors.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Firestarter123:

I guess that depends on your preference.

After using both methods I find the lack of a bezel between monitors when going ultrawide to be much more usable when doing productivity work such as spreadsheets with dozens of columns. The bezel in the middle of the spreadsheet drove me insane when using multiple monitors.
View Quote

We are talking two different things. I'm simply mentioning you can hook two distinct monitors up to a single displayport vs having to use both ports on the tower.

I personally use an Ultrawide.

Link Posted: 9/11/2024 8:01:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ellieellie] [#14]
This one looks awesome! I might need one of those screens in the future if I decide to pursue a career in web development. Having a high-quality monitor can make a significant difference in productivity and the overall design experience. For now, I’m taking it slow and enjoying the learning process. Each day, I dedicate some time to absorb bits of information from resources like Corelangs https://www.corelangs.org/html/website/free-website/, which has become my go-to for learning the essentials of web development. I find that breaking down my studies into manageable pieces helps me retain information better and gradually build my skills. Whether it’s learning about HTML, CSS, or JavaScript, every new concept I grasp feels like a small victory. I’m excited about the possibilities that lie ahead and hope to create projects that reflect my growing expertise. With determination and the right tools, I believe I can make a successful transition into this field.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I recommend going with multiple monitors instead of a single wide, you can maximize apps within a specific monitor without extending elsewhere.

I run dual Dell 43** 4K monitors and they are really nice, plus the old 16:9 ratio.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ad_nauseam:
I recommend going with multiple monitors instead of a single wide, you can maximize apps within a specific monitor without extending elsewhere.

I run dual Dell 43** 4K monitors and they are really nice, plus the old 16:9 ratio.
View Quote

Windows has a built in monitor zoning feature. I can make it three distinct windows. Or four. Or fourteen. You can resize them however you wish.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Dell has an interesting 5K monitor, but it's a wide one. Would buy if it were 16:9, or a bit taller.  When you monitors have height, as they do with 16:9, it saves desk space.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By xanadu:
I'm cheap and had a video card with a HDMI, DVIX and an RS232 Serial conncetor.

I put my main 27" display on the HDMI and the two 19's on the DVIXand RS232 ports.

I didn't have to do anything else except fire it up and they all work fine.

I have two companies that I am a partner in plus my own stuff so I have plenty of real estate to work on what ever comes up during the day.

https://i.gyazo.com/25bae92555eba81a0f934c02771fd11b.png

I also bought one of these.

https://i.gyazo.com/58001abdbb5eba80180aed82bf6ce35e.png

View Quote
That's a pretty slick setup. Now I want a 3rd monitor
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 10:40:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#19]

We are talking two different things. I'm simply mentioning you can hook two distinct monitors up to a single displayport vs having to use both ports on the tower.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20220806_075220_jpg-2596343.JPG
View Quote
I've got 2 27" curved monitors and going to one ultra wide is tempting. I assume the snap to windows take some getting used to but work similarly to two monitors?
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
I've got 2 27" curved monitors and going to one ultra wide is tempting. I assume the snap to windows take some getting used to but work similarly to two monitors?
View Quote

I use FancyZones. It is a built in windows functionality but requires a download from Microsoft which is free and takes 2 minutes. You can use it on any monitor to get a feel for it but it's basically a much more refined version of HP Fences of yesteryear.

You can customize zones on the screen and windows can snap to any zone, or adjacent zones, at will not any differently than with windows snap.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 12:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#21]

I use FancyZones. It is a built in windows functionality but requires a download from Microsoft which is free and takes 2 minutes. You can use it on any monitor to get a feel for it but it's basically a much more refined version of HP Fences of yesteryear.

You can customize zones on the screen and windows can snap to any zone, or adjacent zones, at will not any differently than with windows snap.
View Quote
Sounds awesome! Now to justify it to my wife...

ETA: @-Obsessed- what size is that? Looking at some visual comparisons I don't think a 34" or 35" would be big enough. 49" looks to be the ticket, but they are spendy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 12:48:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#22]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
Sounds awesome! Now to justify it to my wife...

ETA: @-Obsessed- what size is that? Looking at some visual comparisons I don't think a 34" or 35" would be big enough. 49" looks to be the ticket, but they are spendy.
View Quote

Mine is the 49" Samsung Odyssey G9, the 240Hz version.

Worth it.

BTW if you @ someone on edit, it doesn't go through. Just FYI.
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Mine is the 49" Samsung Odyssey G9, the 240Hz version.

Worth it.

BTW if you @ someone on edit, it doesn't go through. Just FYI.
View Quote
Thanks! I was wondering about the tag on edit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#24]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20220806_075220_jpg-2596343.JPG
View Quote
What brand is that?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:22:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#25]

What brand is that?
View Quote

It's a Samsung Odyssey G9

I put that in my previous post.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Look into getting a 34”/35” 1440P Ultrawide monitor instead.

View Quote

Thats not high enough resolution.
20 to 24 - 1080p (1920x1080)
25 to 29 - 1440p
30 to 40 - 4K (3840x2160)

I currently run dual Lenovo ThinkVision P32-20 professional 32" 4K monitors. One horizontally, one vertically. Incredible real estate. Modern computers handle dual/triple 4K monitors no problem. Each 4K monitors is identical in real estate to four 1080p monitors.

One of my 32" 4K monitors has much more real estate than a 35" 1440P

You can find them on eBay for ~$200.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By kc8flb:

25 to 29 - 1440p

I currently run dual Lenovo ThinkVision P32-20 professional 32" 4K monitors. One horizontally, one vertically. Incredible real estate. Modern computers handle dual/triple 4K monitors no problem. Each 4K monitors is identical in real estate to four 1080p monitors.

View All Quotes
Look into getting a 34"/35" 1440P Ultrawide monitor instead.

25 to 29 - 1440p

Those sizes don't apply to ultrawide. It's the same pixel density as a regular 1440p monitor just added pixels horizontally not vertically. The 1440p number is the number of vertical pixels. The horizontal number increases significantly with ultrawide.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I joined the single large 4K display camp several years ago and I'll likely never go back.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I have (4) LG 32” monitors at 3840x2160 resolution, and a pair of 5K VR goggles. The center monitor and VR goggles same driven by an RTX 3090, and the 3 satellite monitors are driven by an RTX 3060, for a total of 36GB of VRAM. It’s perfect for my needs (architectural CAD and rendering).

I absolutely love Fancy Zones. It helps me manage a lot of information that I need for productivity.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

Those sizes don't apply to ultrawide. It's the same pixel density as a regular 1440p monitor just added pixels horizontally not vertically. The 1440p number is the number of vertical pixels. The horizontal number increases significantly with ultrawide.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rebel31:
Look into getting a 34"/35" 1440P Ultrawide monitor instead.

25 to 29 - 1440p

Yes, but it's still too low of a resolution. A 1440 ultrawide is 3440x1440.  A standard 4k monitor is 3840x2160. You are losing horizontal and a lot of vertical real estate by compromising on a 1440 ultrawide. Get one or two 4K monitors and have much more working area.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#32]
when I retire and have all the time in the world, I will be setting it up like this:

Link Posted: 9/16/2024 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I go ultrawide in the middle and a 4k at each flank. That way I can have GD take up every degree of my FOV
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Fine, I’ll play too.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top