[#1]
winchester '97 has killed alot of duck. . .  boats
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@p3590

Dang!  

That is a brilliant WECSOGS solution right there!!

I've used wood dowels, but didn't like they can get wet & hold moisture (unlike plastic)

Going to go find a few spare hangers to sacrifice to "hand craft" a few spare plugs for hunt box.

Every season it seems someone(s) always forgets theirs.  

Thank You for sharing that sir!  

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@p3590

Dang!  

I've used wood dowels, but didn't like they can get wet & hold moisture (unlike plastic)

Going to go find a few spare hangers to sacrifice to "hand craft" a few spare plugs for hunt box.

Bigger_Hammer

@Bigger_Hammer

Lol, you're welcome, I figured everyone did that, and OP being new to this might not know.  You can just snap them to length without much drama, and they're <$0.50 new.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@Bigger_Hammer

Lol, you're welcome, I figured everyone did that, and OP being new to this might not know.  You can just snap them to length without much drama, and they're <$0.50 new.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@p3590

Dang!  

Bigger_Hammer

@Bigger_Hammer

You've just proved even a OLD dog can learn a new trick!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

IF that is the case - you have an issue fitting a "conventional" 870 barrel.

https://scheels.scene7.com/is/image/Scheels/81007068384?wid=500&hei=500&qlt=60

Express "tactical" ONE piece long extended factory magazine tube.   Note the barrel lug is way out at the end.

https://hallsfirearms.com.au/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/p-808-870exp-combo-prod.jpg

"Conventional" 870 with standard 'sporter' / conventional magazine & barrels.  barrel lug is at mid position.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/4/1/41661-Remington-870-Express-Tactical-20GA-Shotgun-81100.jpg

Conventional 870 with standard magazine + Remington factory magazine extension (two parts).  barrel lug is at mid position.

If you have the special Remington ONE piece extended "tactical" factory magazine tube - to use the Conventional 870 barrel requires a special spacer sleeve because of the difference in the barrel loop lug position.

https://www.rem870.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/rem_870_spacer_tactical_models_one_piece_6_round_magazine_tube.jpg

You would need Remington part number F402819 (spacer)   Usually less than $25. Might try to call their customer service line for parts.

From  https://www.rem870.com/2013/01/13/remington-870-barrels/

I do NOT know if this spacer sleeve is still available after the Remington bankruptcy - but that info is a place to start.

Good Luck & Good Hunting!

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

I think this is a 2 piece. Is there something I’d need to replace the far right of the mag tube?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It took 3.5 pages for me to post this, but if you like hunting, eating, and hanging with friends , you’ll love duck hunting. The later two are guaranteed, the ducks are not.

If you get bitten by it, buy once, cry once, because you’ll be crying up and down the river. Waders, decoys, calls, slings, base layers, etc. It’s an expensive sport. Can you do it cheap? Sure, but more than likely you’ll be like everyone else who likes nice stuff. For every “bah, my 870 is all you need to shoot ducks” are 99 guys with A5s, SBEs, custom chokes, etc.
View Quote

This is sound advice. Getting a new barrel for my 870 will allow me to try it out and if I like it, I’ll save up for what I really want (and as I learn more, what I want will probably change!)
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Looks like I’ve found my mag tube limiter! Thanks for the pro tip!
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
A Mossberg 835 is probably the cheapest way to get a 3.5" magnum 12 gauge and still keep reliability.  Still made in the USA.  The MSRP on them is like $499.

I hate steel shot.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
OUs are not a good idea for duck hunting. $500 OUs aren’t a good idea for anything.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think this is a 2 piece. Is there something I’d need to replace the far right of the mag tube?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168579/IMG_5769_jpeg-2896825.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IF that is the case - you have an issue fitting a "conventional" 870 barrel.

https://scheels.scene7.com/is/image/Scheels/81007068384?wid=500&hei=500&qlt=60

Express "tactical" ONE piece long extended factory magazine tube.   Note the barrel lug is way out at the end.

https://hallsfirearms.com.au/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/p-808-870exp-combo-prod.jpg

"Conventional" 870 with standard 'sporter' / conventional magazine & barrels.  barrel lug is at mid position.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/4/1/41661-Remington-870-Express-Tactical-20GA-Shotgun-81100.jpg

Conventional 870 with standard magazine + Remington factory magazine extension (two parts).  barrel lug is at mid position.

If you have the special Remington ONE piece extended "tactical" factory magazine tube - to use the Conventional 870 barrel requires a special spacer sleeve because of the difference in the barrel loop lug position.

https://www.rem870.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/rem_870_spacer_tactical_models_one_piece_6_round_magazine_tube.jpg

You would need Remington part number F402819 (spacer)   Usually less than $25. Might try to call their customer service line for parts.

From  https://www.rem870.com/2013/01/13/remington-870-barrels/

I do NOT know if this spacer sleeve is still available after the Remington bankruptcy - but that info is a place to start.

Bigger_Hammer

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168579/IMG_5769_jpeg-2896825.JPG

@JKnight

Yes, your have the "Conventional" magazine tube with the Remington screw on magazine extension.  

You just remove the brace between the barrel & magazine tube, then unscrew the magazine extension.

You will need Five things to hunt.

(A) regular length magazine spring (your current spring is extra length due to extended magazine)
(B) "conventional" magazine screw on end cap to replace your magazine extension.  I would recommend getting one with a sling swivel so you can use a sling (important when waterfowl hunting when both your hands are full with decoys or boxes of shells in the dark)
(C) a spring retainer to fits inside the magazine tube & keep the magazine spring & plug from shooting off to space if the end cap is unscrewed.
(D) Magazine plug (you've got the new secret technique on 'how to DYI' )
& Finally
(E) Remington 870 hunting barrel

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It took 3.5 pages for me to post this, but if you like hunting, eating, and hanging with friends , you’ll love duck hunting. The later two are guaranteed, the ducks are not.

If you get bitten by it, buy once, cry once, because you’ll be crying up and down the river. Waders, decoys, calls, slings, base layers, etc. It’s an expensive sport. Can you do it cheap? Sure, but more than likely you’ll be like everyone else who likes nice stuff. For every “bah, my 870 is all you need to shoot ducks” are 99 guys with A5s, SBEs, custom chokes, etc.
View Quote

QFT I started with an 870 Wingmaster. I then used a Benelli SBE. I literally used it up. Then an SBE II. Now it's a Beretta A400 Extreme Plus with Muller Chokes etc...
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@JKnight

Yes, your have the "Conventional" magazine tube with the Remington screw on magazine extension.  

You just remove the brace between the barrel & magazine tube, then unscrew the magazine extension.

(A) regular length magazine spring (your current spring is extra length due to extended magazine)
(B) "conventional" magazine screw on end cap to replace your magazine extension.  I would recommend getting one with a sling swivel so you can use a sling (important when waterfowl hunting when both your hands are full with decoys or boxes of shells in the dark)
(C) a spring retainer to fits inside the magazine tube & keep the magazine spring & plug from shooting off to space if the end cap is unscrewed.
(D) Magazine plug (you've got the new secret technique on 'how too' )
& Finally

Bigger_Hammer

View Quote

@Bigger_Hammer
Thanks, you’ve been a big help!
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@JKnight

(D) Magazine plug (you've got the new secret technique on 'how to DYI' )
& Finally

Bigger_Hammer

View Quote

QFT. Bigger_Hammer is right.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Buy a new barrel for the 870. 26 - 30 inches with interchangeable choke tubes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a good shotgun for duck hunting on a budget?

I have a friend who can take me out duck hunting this fall. I’ve never done it but I’ve been interested for a while. I only own 1 shotgun - a 12ga Remington 870 express with an 18” barrel. Just a fun blasting stuff shotgun and not for hunting. I’ve been interested in buying an over/under and this gives me a legit reason for doing so. But the budget is small.

What is a good gun for a newb that’s in the $500 range? I could maybe go a couple hundred more but not looking to get close to the $1k mark. $500-700 is probably realistic.

Buy a new barrel for the 870. 26 - 30 inches with interchangeable choke tubes.

+1
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, I hunted ducks and cranes 71 days last year. Almost every comment in this thread has been good. I have some differences with some posters but they're mostly personal preferences. This thread has been refreshing, with very few bullshit replies.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Pawn shop?
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OUs are not a good idea for duck hunting. $500 OUs aren’t a good idea for anything.
View Quote

Shoot the shit out of ducks with my $450 Beretta 686 Silver Essential. Plain no engraving O/U. As mentioned I do a slot of duck hunting in flooded timber adjacent to my property. Shooting ducks cupped up to land at 25 yards they work great. I don't need 3 shots to get a limit. Owned it 25 or so years and shoot the shit out of it.

I shoot close and like something that swings well and fast. My Benelli has a 24" barrel and it's my most used shotgun for ducks or geese that trying to land on my head and shoots are single digits in yards away. Have goose hunted with a few guys that obviously are used to pass shooting at max range with their 32" barrel guns and it's entertaining to say the least.

The only time I routinely shoot past 25-30 yards on waterfowl is the few times a year I shoot divers at the lake. Going for my canvasback or something.

Point being, try to fit the gun to the type of hunting/shooting you are most likely going to do.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd look at CZ O/U. They are around your budget IIRC. I'm still rocking an old Mossberg Silver Reserve that was gifted to me almost 20 years ago or I'd have one.

ETA:
Shows $735 after a rebate.  https://grabagun.com/cz-drake-all-terrain-walnut-12-ga-28-barrel-3-chamber-2-rounds.html?avad=211021_a321e000d

Side by side is even less expensive.
https://grabagun.com/firearms/shotguns/side-by-side-shotguns/cz-cz-bobwhite-g2-sxs-12-28.html
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Mossberg 835
Fantastic shotgun, Uber reliable, near indestructible and under $500
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Shoot the shit out of ducks with my $450 Beretta 686 Silver Essential. Plain no engraving O/U. As mentioned I do a slot of duck hunting in flooded timber adjacent to my property. Shooting ducks cupped up to land at 25 yards they work great. I don't need 3 shots to get a limit. Owned it 25 or so years and shoot the shit out of it.

I shoot close and like something that swings well and fast. My Benelli has a 24" barrel and it's my most used shotgun for ducks or geese that trying to land on my head and shoots are single digits in yards away. Have goose hunted with a few guys that obviously are used to pass shooting at max range with their 32" barrel guns and it's entertaining to say the least.

The only time I routinely shoot past 25-30 yards on waterfowl is the few times a year I shoot divers at the lake. Going for my canvasback or something.

Point being, try to fit the gun to the type of hunting/shooting you are most likely going to do.
View Quote

Agreed. I'm not a fan of pass shooting. I like them cupped up and coming in hot. I use a 26 inch barrel, because I think it's the best compromise. it swings well, and it can be handled well in close quarters.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I paid more than that for a hunting barrel for my Benelli M3 back in the day.
LOL!
Sent it down the road when I got a Mossberg 500 for free and wasn't afraid to leave it out of the safe. Had no ARs at the time, but an MSAR STG-556 was my evil rifle. Too expensive to leave it out of the safe.
Bought a customized Ruger Red Label All Weather for hunting, which I did once.
Shot MANY rounds of 5 stand with it, so it was useful. Was.
Haven't hunted or shot it in years, but an O/U is nice to have if the opportunity arises.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top