Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anything can be a weapon if you're brave enough.

The things that caught my attention from the video were the Wal-Mart knife that outperformed the $300+ knives and the improvised nunchucks.

I even bought a Pioneer Woman knife from Wal-Mart after watching.

BTW, my friend can hide all kinds of shit in his beard.
View Quote

can't grow a beard.

have plenty of knives otherwise i'd buy a pioneer woman end of the world blade.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A sales analyst in a cube in Bentonville, Arkansas is scratching his head trying to figure out why middle aged men bought up all of their Pioneer Woman knives this week.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#3]
it's funny, my wife got a pioneer woman santoku for the kitchen as a gift a few months back. I am a knife snob and thought it was shit. It's now my go to over some very expensive custom damascus because I can throw it in the dishwasher after. I even thought "shit I could cut some fuckers with this"...
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

can't grow a beard.

have plenty of knives otherwise i'd buy a pioneer woman end of the world blade.
View Quote

which is their end of the world model?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a bunch of undercover secret agent bull shit. I am not going across the border (neither is Ed) so no need. This is an intro to get you to Ed's class.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:54:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

which is their end of the world model?
View Quote

let's ask the PW.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's a bunch of undercover secret agent bull shit. I am not going across the border (neither is Ed) so no need. This is an intro to get you to Ed's class.
View Quote

i'd take a class from him.

better than watching sportsball and/or watching dumb people on the TV machine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shawn with Vigilance Elite is obviously a bad ass been there done that type, but I struggle to watch most of his videos dude takes forever to make a point and tough to follow. The Ed guy doesn’t carry a gun?
View Quote

Ed is not a US citizen so, no go on a CCW.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s all LARPing....until it isn’t.

I will say that some of the techniques to defeat restraints have gotten so mainstream that new ways of restraining victims are being used by bad guys.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Good video.  To me it was less about an "EDC pocket dump" and more about cultivating a certain mindset.

I thought the message he was sharing was mainly about gaining the knowledge, skills and experience to enable you to observe, recognize, connect, disrupt, conceal, fabricate tools, and survive and win regardless of the situation or the materials you have available.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good video.  To me it was less about an "EDC pocket dump" and more about cultivating a certain mindset.

I thought the message he was sharing was mainly about gaining the knowledge, skills and experience to enable you to observe, recognize, connect, disrupt, conceal, fabricate tools, and survive and win regardless of the situation or the materials you have available.
View Quote

This is my take as well...

Sure some of the stuff he carries may not be for everyone and for every situation, he even states that...

EDC in my opinion is a brain firing on all cylinders...

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Franky, I gave GD way too much credit, expecting more to be up to speed on who Ed Calderon is and the subject matter.  Several threads have been done on Ed recently and since this video hadn’t been posted yet, I thought I would add it to the mix.  I incorrectly thought the introduction to the subject matter had already been laid.

AGAIN, WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT!  A gun shouldn’t be your only tool for self defense.  This is an exercise in strengthening the most important self defense tool you will ever have - your mind.

But holy shit, I never expected so many of the “I live in Mom’s basement and never leave so I’ll never need this stuff” perspectives to be posted in response.  Lots of naivety about current events and what’s coming & what’s already here in people’s own communities.  

A few points-

1.  If this stuff is being taught to police officers all around the US, that’s an indication that many of the aspects are already here.

2.  We are in many ways becoming Mexico.

3.  Kidnappings & home invasions are already very prevalent in many areas.

4.  Cartels are already here, in the big cities & even some of the smaller communities, especially along the trafficking routes.

5.  This is not just about what to possibly carry is certain situations but how to recognize someone else from these actions and methods.

6.  US gangs and other criminal elements are also using some of these methods.

7.  This stuff isn’t being taught just by Ed Calderon here in the US and not just to the police, military or corporate CEOs.

8.  The knowledge here should be shared with your fiends & family to better arm them in this ever changing world.

On a personal level, I’m just an average guy with an ordinary office job but I’ve had a few of these classes (not taught by Ed) that were initially taken for fun or “improving my skillset” and I was amazed at the number of memories of news events & personal stories that the subject matter of the classes had triggered.  That was my realization that this stuff is relevant, not just to to the here & now but to my own community.

View Quote

I watched it. It wasn't some bullshit edc video like most others. It was more of a here's how to EDC in bad environments where you can't have weapons, and here's how bad people EDC in those environments so you know what to look out for.

Ed Calderon is like the 21st century Mad Ayoob, without the Fudd garbage.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Done several classes with Ed. There is a lot of practicality to what he carries and why. Ed has definitely ruffled a few feathers with his approach to things. His knife work and improvised weapon skills are impressive to say the least. He's a been there and done that guy. Pretty humble too. Sums up what he teaches as "hood rat shit".
View Quote

This. And avatar checks out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What did you think about the classes? I want to take one and I'm curious what you think as an alumnus.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Done several classes with Ed. There is a lot of practicality to what he carries and why. Ed has definitely ruffled a few feathers with his approach to things. His knife work and improvised weapon skills are impressive to say the least. He's a been there and done that guy. Pretty humble too. Sums up what he teaches as "hood rat shit".
What did you think about the classes? I want to take one and I'm curious what you think as an alumnus.

They are completely different than anything out there. They have all been great experiences to me. Your typical 5.11 fudd who tucks his pants into his boots might not feel the same way. Ed’s tactics are dirty, brutal, and have been used by himself or his US special forces friends in real world environments.

He tags up and does medical/firearms classes with “voodoo doc”, a special forces trauma surgeon who is still active. It’s a great experience to attend both of their courses.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ed goes across the border all the time. He comes back on weekends to do his courses and shit.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. Mindset is key when learning from Ed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:04:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
it's funny, my wife got a pioneer woman santoku for the kitchen as a gift a few months back. I am a knife snob and thought it was shit. It's now my go to over some very expensive custom damascus because I can throw it in the dishwasher after. I even thought "shit I could cut some fuckers with this"...
View Quote
Did you see the Pioneer Woman santoku that someone ground into an Elvia shape? It was pretty hilarious.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:39:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All I have in my pocket is a broken flashlight.
View Quote

There’s a joke here some where.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 6:58:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did you see the Pioneer Woman santoku that someone ground into an Elvia shape? It was pretty hilarious.
View Quote

I did not. Link?
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:01:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don’t even have pockets. Yoga pants . It’s liberating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I currently have nothing in my pockets. My funeral.

I don’t even have pockets. Yoga pants . It’s liberating.

You wear pants?  Lol. I just have a long shirt.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:15:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Keep smoking. It will come. You can join the FSA and get the rest of us to pay for your 800% average cost for healthcare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Keep smoking. It will come. You can join the FSA and get the rest of us to pay for your 800% average cost for healthcare.

Smokers cost the system less because they die earlier and faster.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not. Link?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26464/E7AE9776-D31B-4173-A171-812D29CCF72D-1951248.jpg

Very cool.  Are those Cataleya flowers?

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not. Link?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26464/E7AE9776-D31B-4173-A171-812D29CCF72D-1951248.jpg
There it is!

The best was the caption...

"stop tagging me in these" - @pioneerwoman
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 12:57:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Anything can be a weapon if you’re brave enough.

The things that caught my attention from the video were the Wal-Mart knife that outperformed the $300+ knives and the improvised nunchucks.

View Quote

The mention of the knives that have killed in evidence lockers is spot on. $600 seldom do damage because they might get scratched, then they have to get sent back to the manufacturer because the owner is pissed it doesn’t have a mirror finish anymore.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The mention of the knives that have killed in evidence lockers is spot on. $600 seldom do damage because they might get scratched, then they have to get sent back to the manufacturer because the owner is pissed it doesn’t have a mirror finish anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything can be a weapon if you’re brave enough.

I would be interested to know what these expensive tactical knives are that were outperformed by a cheap kitchen knife.  Some people like to dump on Cold Steel knives because they are somewhat cheap, but because they are cheap, they get used and abused.  For the most part, they have a good reputation for taking that use and abuse, too.    

You make a good point about the expensive knives - Do they really get tested in the real world on their durability if many of their owners are reluctant to really use them?
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I would be interested to know what these expensive tactical knives are that were outperformed by a cheap kitchen knife.  Some people like to dump on Cold Steel knives because they are somewhat cheap, but because they are cheap, they get used and abused.  For the most part, they have a good reputation for taking that use and abuse, too.    

You make a good point about the expensive knives - Do they really get tested in the real world on their durability if many of their owners are reluctant to really use them?
View Quote

i carry only my cheap, shitty knives.  

my good knives all live in the safe for fear of getting lost, stolen, and/or scwatched.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No idea who that is, and I'm certainly not watching a 1 hour+ video of him talking about what's in his pockets.
View Quote

Ed Calderon might best be thought of as the Ghost of Christmas Future.

The disconnect most people feel with the material he is presenting is caused by the fact that he's teaching things that you don't (yet) realize that you need to know about.  

You no doubt have WAY too much sense to ever go to Mexico.  OK.

What are you going to do when Mexico comes to you?

ETA:  Beat by juan223
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

my good knives all live in the safe for fear of getting lost, stolen, and/or scwatched.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My biggest fear is losing a knife that is basically irreplaceable because it’s no longer made.  I have several of those, including my cheap at the time Cold Steel Carbon V SRK.

That’s why I sometimes buy two of something.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The disconnect most people feel with the material he is presenting is caused by the fact that he's teaching things that you don't (yet) realize that you need to know about.  

View Quote

spend some time in south texas.  

mexico is already here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They are completely different than anything out there. They have all been great experiences to me. Your typical 5.11 fudd who tucks his pants into his boots might not feel the same way. Ed's tactics are dirty, brutal, and have been used by himself or his US special forces friends in real world environments.

He tags up and does medical/firearms classes with "voodoo doc", a special forces trauma surgeon who is still active. It's a great experience to attend both of their courses.
View Quote
Well said. I'm a Doc alumni too. There is nobody out there teaching the things they are. La Chata is at the top of my list of classes to do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've never heard of the guy so I just looked him up and read his bio. He has led a interesting life and sounds like a very smart man and a complete badass.
View Quote

This is worth watching.

Shawn Ryan Show #007 Drug Cartel / Narcos Expert Ed Calderon
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

My microtech combat troodon busted a car window to get a guy out of a roll over accident.

They get used but I’m also not gonna make my kid a PBJ with it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It takes him an hour to talk about what hes carrying around?

I love Ed but holy shit is there a TLDR version?
View Quote

Go into settings and watch at higher speed, slow down as needed
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVaWsrC-aUs
View Quote

welp, i know what i'll be doing tonight!

got a 10-pack of the bic pens at walmaht yesterday.

ordered the kevlar cord this morning.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Lol out loud at all of the people who think they have nothing to learn or who will ignore possibly useful info because it isn't spoon fed to them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 2:49:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I got to the pig stab tested pioneer woman knife,
wrapped in cardboard, with a t shirt holster
and gave up

Guess it's my funeral
View Quote

Why don't you just say you missed the point?
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

mexico is already here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

mexico is already here.

It’s even in the Northern states, especially along the interstates & highway systems used for trafficking. Now, the Biden regime is setting up cartel franchises by busing and flying them to even the out-of-the-way states. Even small towns are not safe.

I look at this like the glasses in the movie They Live. When you know the characteristics and techniques they use, you will be better able to recognize and see it in your community where before, you couldn’t.

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Keys
Useful knife
Defensive knife
Flashlight
Pen
Phone

Gun and reload if I’m wearing them

I don’t know what else people could need to carry on them.

View Quote

This is my way as well.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:13:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What if you are traveling to Mexico for work, and can't carry a Gun, Reload, or Knife?

How would you prepare, what would you carry? What's some of the best ways to not stand out as an American in Tijuana?

That's what that hour long video is about.
View Quote

As a whyte man I will not blend in in TJ, Ed will.  BTW...that place smells like death, I will not be going back there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Who was Ed actually with? I have heard the spiel a million times " counter custody, narcotics, non-permissive, blah blah blah"
Mexican Marines? Tijuana police? never really heard what unit/agency.
View Quote

Mexican Marines...haha...that actually exists
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My microtech combat troodon busted a car window to get a guy out of a roll over accident.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet you won’t be doing this with your Microtech, either.  I know it’s not designed for this but neither is the butter knife.

Best Throwing Knives For Beginners Under 5 $ ? BUTTER KNIVES (Tutorial)
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Some of the little edc gewgaws are kind of neat but yeah, a folding knife, gun and a little light are all I ever carry.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I bet you won’t be doing this with your Microtech, either.  I know it’s not designed for this but neither is the butter knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaNPjP5YJlE
View Quote

Not if I don’t have to. But I consider all my tools disposable. If it’s so bad I need to ruin something in the process I’ll do it no problem.

But I already own throwing knives if that comes up
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Here’s a somewhat recent map of cartels in America.  Notice that the cities on the map are all linked together by major interstates & highway systems, showing the major trafficking routes.  Also notice the cities that are marked with more than one color.  These are the areas that have a greater threat of turf battles with violence that could potentially spill out into the community on a larger scale than it already has.  That’s why it’s important to be familiar with this stuff now because the violence that we see in Mexico will be happening here eventually.  The only question is when & how frequently it will happen.

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVaWsrC-aUs
View Quote

That was so long, but definitely worth the listen.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#48]
The Pioneer Woman paring knives have started popping up on eBay
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#50]
The following video popped up in my recommended list.  I wonder if this is the pig test he was referring to in the original EDC video?

Probably...

Ed’s Manifesto Testing the Kopis Designs Valiente

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top