Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Good friend of mine who was an Air Force officer who kind of walked away after he retired.  Single, no kids and no home.  He slept in his beat-up car a lot and would house-sit for a small group of friends when they were out of town.

In the mornings he would go to the gym that he paid 15 dollars a month for to shower & shave.  He would then work out, play video games, chess or racquetball all day.  He used a laundromat to wash & dry his clothes.

His monthly expenses were car insurance & food and that was about it.  VA covered his medical. The guy was a loner but was well read on many topics.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Knew a guy that lived in a canvas tent year round with a couple of dogs.
Lived that way since getting out of school.

Close to 40yrs i think.

When he got old the village built him a tiny house to live in.

Knew how to survive with very little and knew the country.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ten years from now some guy is going to say; "there was this thread on a gun website and I just FO'd".

Might be me.
View Quote
If that were mentioned here, someone would post a link to this thread within minutes.

ARF has an amazing memory.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually know a few people who have done it. Or similar things. My industry (Airlines) attract those types.

One pilot lives out of his suitcase. And on his off days uses his flight benefits to go to Europe, South America, Caribbean, etc. usually takes a flight attendant along for entertainment. He has saved 30k this year by not paying for things like a car and house.

Another pilot sold his flight school after his divorce. Bought a boat and just checked out. He’s somewhere in the South Pacific now. Got tired of his bitch wife and the stress.

Me personally the only reason I show up to work is because I’m trying to have kids with my wife. If that doesn’t happen within the next few years then I’m just going to check out. Because if you don’t have a family to support then what’s the fucking point. I’ll most likely be like the suitcase dude and just get on a plane somewhere. Bring the wife if she wants to come. If she doesn’t then give her everything and keep going.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve thought about it many times.  Honestly if I didn’t have a business and a reputation that I’ve built over the last 10 years that requires business from word of mouth (custom homebuilder/high end remodeler) I would’ve probably picked up and moved to Costa Rica or OBX to try to mate on a sportfishing boat after my divorce.

But now business is good and I have a wonderful girlfriend who lives with me and it’s just too much to give up. If I was still working for someone else and didn’t have my own bussiness I would’ve probably said fuck it a long time ago.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of us have ancestors who did that, at some point.

It's in our genes.  But it takes something to set it off.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I won't get into it here because a lot of this is sketchy as hell if not outright criminal but about 30 years ago I helped someone simply vanish after a vicious marital breakup.

Unless you knew the WHOLE story you would probably accuse the guy of being a snake but he wasn't. He was a victim of a designing woman. What I did to help him out was dangerous as hell, both physically and legally. What I did for this guy was stomp down crazy.

Let's put it this way. You know how women tend to stick together on things? Most women I knew sided with him.

The ONLY acknowledgement/thanks/whatever was when someone forwarded me a post card with a South Pacific island group postmark on it with the cryptic comment scrawled on it that read "Nothing to it."

I am good with this.

If I run into any of you guys ask me and I'll tell you over a drink.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#8]
i guess in the oddball here. i like my work so much, i take less vacation that i am allowed. i could retire. i havent. i could buy an rv and tour the country. its a vaguely interesting idea.

i am lucky though because i found a job i like to do, and though i work for a company, im left alone to do what i want more or less as long as i take care of things that are my responsibility, a lot of which i have automated or modified to run smoothly (all IT stuff).

here's a guy that was legendary in GA. i suspect he never just went out the back door and left for the back of beyond. he simply lived a carefree life for almost 100 years doing what he wanted to do..

charles mccartney the goatman of georgia

Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I sold everything that wouldn't fit into my truck in the spring of '92 and moved to Alaska. Didn't come back for 5 years. But I didn't just vanish.
View Quote
@TerribleTom

Why did you leave AK and go back to Oregon?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@TerribleTom

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sold everything that wouldn't fit into my truck in the spring of '92 and moved to Alaska. Didn't come back for 5 years. But I didn't just vanish.
@TerribleTom

I left AK and went back to NC, where I was living prior to heading to AK. Moved from NC back to my childhood hometown in PA for 7+ years. Then from PA to OR. I was in AK from May '92 to February '97. The primary reason for leaving was financial and a desire to start a family.

My wife - who I met and married while living in AK - was born in OR and raised in AK. Her extended family is here. I moved here to help with a family business. I'm no longer in that business, but I love it here. I'm not a big fan of current trends in state politics, but the place itself is awesome. I've got beaches and mountains all within minutes of home, loads of hunting and fishing opportunities, a rural coastal lifestyle with access to big city fine dining/entertainment/airport less than 2 hours away.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Kudos, he did what I can't do...
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I won't get into it here because a lot of this is sketchy as hell if not outright criminal but about 30 years ago I helped someone simply vanish after a vicious marital breakup.

Unless you knew the WHOLE story you would probably accuse the guy of being a snake but he wasn't. He was a victim of a designing woman. What I did to help him out was dangerous as hell, both physically and legally. What I did for this guy was stomp down crazy.

Let's put it this way. You know how women tend to stick together on things? Most women I knew sided with him.

The ONLY acknowledgement/thanks/whatever was when someone forwarded me a post card with a South Pacific island group postmark on it with the cryptic comment scrawled on it that read "Nothing to it."

I am good with this.

If I run into any of you guys ask me and I'll tell you over a drink.
View Quote
Damn it now I got to know. I'm in Fort Myers for the winter. You going to be down in Florida I'll buy you that drink.
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top