Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2014 6:58:33 PM EDT

A San Diego family in mourning in suing Petco after they say their 10-year-old boy died from rat-bite fever he contracted from a pet purchased from the retailer.  Aidan Pankey died just hours after coming down with flu-like symptoms two weeks after buying a mate for his pet rat at the Carmel Mountain Petco.

San Diego County medical examiners would later rule his death was caused by streptobacillus moniliformis, or rat-bite fever, and now his family wants unspecificed damages from the national chain for failing to prevent his tragic death.

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The lawsuit will be a real rats nest
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Rats aren't pets, they're vermin.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The lawsuit will be a real rats nest
View Quote

They're gonna get some cheese... if they don't fall in to a trap.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If only he had the.cat scratch fever.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps the family is just telling a tail.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#6]
No one forced him to buy the rat, last time I checked.

Buy stupid pets, win stupid prizes.

If only cats came with diseases, too....
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A San Diego family in mourning in suing Petco after they say their 10-year-old boy died from rat-bite fever he contracted from a pet purchased from the retailer.  Aidan Pankey died just hours after coming down with flu-like symptoms two weeks after buying a mate for his pet rat at the Carmel Mountain Petco.

San Diego County medical examiners would later rule his death was caused by streptobacillus moniliformis, or rat-bite fever, and now his family wants unspecificed damages from the national chain for failing to prevent his tragic death.

[div style='text-align: -webkit-auto;']

[div style='text-align: -webkit-auto;']

[div style='text-align: -webkit-auto;']Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2567951/Child-dies-infected-rat-family-sues-Petco.html#ixzz2uOgXSc2N
[div style='text-align: -webkit-auto; ']Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a rat for a pet as a kid.   Total upgrade from those shitty hamsters/gerbils.   Used to scare the hell out of my mom with that thing.   Good times.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, let's see, what is that - about a one in a million chance?  Totally seems like we should avoid them entirely.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes.

Sorry, but dupe.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow, let's see, what is that - about a one in a million chance?  Totally seems like we should avoid them entirely.
View Quote

Meh, I got blood poisoning from a friend's pet rat. Went straight to the ER once the fever kicked in and had red veins running up my arm.

I'm not for a 'ban them all', but I made the decision that from that point on, rodents were for shooting, not for keeping.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Atleast they didnt buy the kid a pit bull
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 11:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Culprit still at large
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Only if I was raising it to feed another animal
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:06:52 AM EDT
[#15]
The stupid things carry it, but don't need to bite you to pass the bacteria.

Piss, shit, spit, in an open scratch and ya got the crap.

Perfect pet for a kid.

Maybe next time they will get the other kid a Poison dart frog, or cuddly electric eel.

What the hell is wrong with the traditional family pooch, that drives people to adopt vermin instead?

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#16]
How common is it to catch a deadly disease from them? I was bitten by rats and mice dozens of times as a teenager. I used to feed them to my constrictors.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#17]
How common is it to catch a deadly disease from them? I was bitten by rats and mice dozens of times as a teenager. I used to feed them to my constrictors.
View Quote

All I can picture is Tom Green's character in Road Trip...

UNLEASH THE FURY!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:22:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Perfect pet for a kid.

Maybe next time they will get the other kid a Poison dart frog, or cuddly electric eel.

What the hell is wrong with the traditional family pooch, that drives people to adopt vermin instead?

View Quote
Well, poison arrow frogs are pretty safe in captivity, the wild ones are dangerous due to chemicals in their diet.  Never seen an electric eel for sale, but dogs kill more kids than any of the latter (including domestic rats), even if normalized for comparative rarity in captivity.

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, poison arrow frogs are pretty safe in captivity, the wild ones are dangerous due to chemicals in their diet.  Never seen an electric eel for sale, but dogs kill more kids than any of the latter (including domestic rats), even if normalized for comparative rarity in captivity.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect pet for a kid.

I had an electric catfish once. Got shocked by it once... once.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#20]
PETCO is not going to give a rats ass...

I like rats, but my snakes like them better.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perfect pet for a kid.

I've seen those, seen people shocked by them- really hard.  I saw them when I worked wholesale, we never sold any to pet stores that I saw, none of them wanted the damned things.   Never saw any electric eels.

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perfect pet for a kid.

Electric Catfish....

Wrap them in tin foil and they self cook?

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 1:27:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Rats aren't pets, they're vermin.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top