BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In fairness the homeowner was deaf as that would explain why he couldn't tell the difference between paintball markers and a firearm. A person with normal hearing would have been able to hear the difference in the report from the paintball marker and a firearm and not shot at the kids playing with their toys.

Imagine the guilt that guy is going to feel the rest of his life.
View Quote
Doh. I stand corrected. Guilty of not reading. Didn't know he was deaf.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How long did the guy get in jail? You can't go killing people because a couple of Dycks tossed a potato at your truck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amish kids around here used to throw fruit, veggies, etc.. at cars around Halloween.

Until some guy got out and emptied both barrels of a 12 gauge into them.  I think killed at least one.

They don't throw shit at cars anymore.   Sucks a guy had to take one for the team, but the result benefited everyone.
How long did the guy get in jail? You can't go killing people because a couple of Dycks tossed a potato at your truck.
Not under current law.  When I come to power, the "he needed killin' " defense will be more open to interpretation.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Making a lesson of someone for their sketchy behavior has kept society running smoothly for thousands of years. Many of our problems today results from darwin from being denied his due for people doing stupid shit, baby proofing the world helps noone long term, it just allows tards to spread and flourish, and infect society at all levels. Massive gov allows baby proofing to spread, allows lawsuits by idiots, and also restricts retribution / punishment on the individual level. Some slut shaming, shaming people for doing stupid shit / their immoral behavior or a good legality free ass whipping occasionally would also fix a lot of problems today, and lack of it is another cause of society woe.
View Quote
imo, bears repeating.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In fairness the homeowner was deaf as that would explain why he couldn't tell the difference between paintball markers and a firearm. A person with normal hearing would have been able to hear the difference in the report from the paintball marker and a firearm and not shot at the kids playing with their toys.

View Quote
Ah, that sucks then.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats tragic actually. Some kid pranking his buddy, or wanting to paint him gets killed.
Unfortunately I can understand the point of view of the father, even if it does seem a little outlandish.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mischief at night, in Tejas?

No bill.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll have a coke.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
One of the few rules of firearms is know what you're shooting at. So either this guy shot at paintballers as revenge, or didn't know what he was shooting at. I used to play a lot of paintball, was in the NEPL for a couple of years. A paintball gun does not sound like a real gun. I bet this guy knew what he was shooting at. Bad shoot either way.

edit nm, didn't know he was deaf.
View Quote
I bet 20% of the people who own a gun for "personal defense" have never heard a gunshot in real life. I also bet a much larger number have never hear a gunshot more than a few dozen times and never without hearing protection. I'll then bet that an even greater number, likely the overwhelming percentage of the population have never heard paintball fire.

It's no leap of faith for people to mistake gunfire for paintball fire
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wouldn't feel an ounce of guilt. 19, they're not kids they're adults. Should know better than to do dumb fuck shit like this. Show up at my house in the middle of the night and point something at me that resembles a firearm you're getting smoked.

The man did society a HUGE favor.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I wouldn't feel an ounce of guilt. 19, they're not kids they're adults. Should know better than to do dumb fuck shit like this. Show up at my house in the middle of the night and point something at me that resembles a firearm you're getting smoked.

View Quote
Take your meds
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take your meds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take your meds
LMAO!
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 12:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Take your meds
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take your meds
Lol.

Sorry your juvenile delinquent lost.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Darwinism at his finest
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Being presented with a person coming towards yourself/house, holding a gun shaped object, in the dark, at night?

Sucks for the dummy who got shot, but good shoot in Texas.
View Quote
Should be a good shoot everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn shame a young man had to lose his life over stupidity. Amazing how some people have no common sense. Even when I was a 15 year old kid (a million years ago) and me and my buddies did stupid shit like throwing M-80s on peoples yards (and it wasn't July 4th), I knew I could get a good potential ass kicking or worse if I got caught. Common sense can help you to identify dangerous scenarios so you can live longer. Too bad some folks just aren't born with it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if they broke any windows?
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Amish kids around here used to throw fruit, veggies, etc.. at cars around Halloween.

Until some guy got out and emptied both barrels of a 12 gauge into them.  I think killed at least one.

They don't throw shit at cars anymore.   Sucks a guy had to take one for the team, but the result benefited everyone.
View Quote
Waitaminute, .   You’re posting from PA.

You talkin REAL Amish, or Canadian Amish?

Please specify, so we can get the story straight.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How does something like this play out in texas
View Quote
So far not going well in Abilene...
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't buy the idea that the home owner should have known it was a paintball gun, even if he wasn't deaf.  Stress of the moment, initial reaction of being shot at, etc, it being night, potentially windows breaking, etc.  Hell maybe the homeowner was even hit.  Paintballs hurt, having never been shot with a real firearm, I'd consider paintball painful enough to confuse for real injury in the heat of the moment.

Paintball gun reports when firing would generally never be mistaken for a gunshot in a low stress environment, but when multiple sensory inputs are telling you "you're being shot at", maybe even already shot, in the heat of the moment??

It's an unfortunate outcome, but the fault lies solely with the holigan, not the homeowner IMO.  I can see how I might do the same thing...
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My Daughters Senior class is playing some sort of "Assassin" game using squirt guns. I have forbid her to participate and invite that shit around the home/family.

Stalking people and pointing gun shaped objects at them is a recipe for tragedy.

Good shoot or bad shoot, that homeowner is in for legal battles and legal expenses that will change the rest of his life (and not for the better).
View Quote
Um, no he isn't. Based on the presented evidence, he will be no billed.  Since he won't be convicted of a crime, under Texas law, he came be held civilally liable thus can't be sued.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Don't bring paintballs to a gun fight?
View Quote
/DONE, end of thread.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Paintball vs suppressed subs-a difference, but not huge. Painballs hitting windows-I don’t know. Don’t think they would take out glass at range, but perhaps at point blank. Paintballs to set off alarms...  at some point they are too stupid and should be removed from the Jean pool
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:28:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Don't bring paintballs to a gun fight?
View Quote
Affirmative.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does something like this play out in texas
So far not going well in Abilene...
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/09/21/00/507A41F200000578-0-image-a-8_1537485589878.jpg
One has not to do with the other.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am glad you posted this.  I thought I was the only one that feels this way.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm surprised you didn't respond with "Honey, if you're thinking about doing something that is likely to result in Daddy shooting someone, you probably know better than to do it in the first place. "
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
19 years old pointing and shooting a paintball gun at house from car at 23:00

talk about fucking stupid

my daughter's senior class did the assassin game. Water pistols only and not at night were the rules

Daughter briefed me in case somebody jumped her on our property so that I would not shoot anybody.
I'm surprised you didn't respond with "Honey, if you're thinking about doing something that is likely to result in Daddy shooting someone, you probably know better than to do it in the first place. "
it is a harmless water squirt gun game, especially during daylight.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#30]
A lot of horseshit that is accepted elsewhere doesn't go over very big in TX.

Best to mind your own business and stay out of peoples faces, as well as off their property.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought one of the cardinal rules in situations like this is DON'T GO OUT OF YOUR HOUSE! You have no idea what sort of situation you are walking into.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I only "played" paintballs once.  At that venue, the operators checked everyone for frozen paintballs. The operator said they were very dangerous!  I don't know if they were just trying to sell their paintballs, of if dicks really freeze them to fuck with people.
View Quote
People really did do that shit just to hurt people.  Most of the time, the rules require a break for the hit to count if the player does not call himself out.  Some people that play are just looking for that, it seems.  Back when my did still played, his team was playing a team of cops, and one of them waited for him to crawl out of a bush and shot him from inches away in the mouth on purpose.  Almost turned into a brawl.  That was back when only goggles were required, and full face masks were pretty rare.

Most paint formulas today don't permit freezing at typical freezer temperatures.  Some of that cheap, toxic crap from China may be one of the exceptions.

Even a non-frozen paintball can cause significant injury, such as to eyes, teeth, or skin, and under just the right circumstances could potentially kill someone.  A number of paintball guns resemble real firearms, and some of the mag-fed newer models look very close to the real thing.

That said, there are venues which try to force you to buy their paint some or all of the time.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Paintball vs suppressed subs-a difference, but not huge. Painballs hitting windows-I don’t know. Don’t think they would take out glass at range, but perhaps at point blank. Paintballs to set off alarms...  at some point they are too stupid and should be removed from the Jean pool
View Quote
They can potentially break glass.  I've seen it happen at the paintball park I used to work at when they put new cars with still-intact windows out as obstacles on the fields.
Link Posted: 5/22/2019 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought one of the cardinal rules in situations like this is DON'T GO OUT OF YOUR HOUSE! You have no idea what sort of situation you are walking into.
View Quote
May or may not be sound advice from a practical perspective, but it should never be a legal requirement or be seen as a hard rule or expectation with a moral imperative behind it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top