Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn if that's all it took to get out of having to go sit through some dumb ass graduation you should celebrate.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn if that's all it took to get out of having to go sit through some dumb ass graduation you should celebrate.
View Quote

Well she's pretty smart but socially awkward and it was a struggle but out of nowhere she's been "accepted" to clubs at school that and shes one of maybe two Hispanics in said clubs they're "political" based. She worked hard and actually graduated so that's an achievement. But she doesn't see she's pretty much being used as a token brown person. Helen Keller could see it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But if that's the case, why does loving your country and loving your wife and eating meat make you an "asshole"?  That makes no sense.  That's a confusing shirt.

View Quote

And what's with the skulls? It should say "I'm Skull Fetish Man".

Does the wearer listen to a lot of Norwegian death metal groups?   In that case, shouldn't the skulls be painted with the Norwegian flag?

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I got as far away from family as I could immediately after HS.

However I married a woman whose entire fucking family lives inside of a 200 mile radius.

Fuck a bunch of family drama, I attend prerequisite functions and set a time limit before I ever get in the vehicle to leave. The only thing we have in common is my wife.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure about the situation, but I am sure the abbreviation for et cetera is: etc.  Good luck with your family.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an American flag hanging by my front door. I wouldn't even know where to buy a Norwegian flag...and my neighbors wouldn't have a clue what it was, either.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Imagine a police dept. flying a foreign flag.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Go illegally.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I never understood it.  Living in Texas you see Mexican flags all the time.  I don't get it.  I'm "Irish" but I don't wave an Irish flag around.  I don't even know what the damn thing looks like.
View Quote

Oh, yeah I'm German and Irish and I enjoy my Irish heritage especially on St Patrick's day. But I've never flown the Irish flag and north of German flag. I do occasionally,  when I have the opportunity, to fly the United States Merchant Marine flag alongside the American flag because they're so rare.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I see people flying the Mexican flag and I am so tempted to ask if Mexico is so wonderful, what are they doing here?
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go illegally.
View Quote

Best answer thus far.

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I never understood it.  Living in Texas you see Mexican flags all the time.  I don't get it.  I'm "Irish" but I don't wave an Irish flag around.  I don't even know what the damn thing looks like.
View Quote

I fly the flag of my avatar more than anything.

Good on the OP's Father-In-Law for being a solid person in that regard!
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We were at the cookout.  Everything was going great wife's mom was making Carne on the grill. Wife making the tortillas her dad and I talking about commies and helicopter rides ect.  My wife was DACA but all that's squared away now.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

How are you confused?  My wife's mom was making Carne on the grill.  

Is the confusion coming from Carne?  It's Carne.  Steak. Flank stank.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 6:04:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You picked about the worst possible example.
All kinds of people with Irish history put up that stuff.
Just because you don't do it doesn't mean it's not done.
View Quote

Really, in Chicago they have 2 St. Patrick Day parades. Boston has a huge Irish-American culture, as does NYC.

Hell, they dye the friggin' river green in Chicago.

Not during the Shanghai Shivers, but every other year they do.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Press 3 for Gaelic
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 6:48:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Let her celebrate her culture and graduation however she sees fit.  Its not like shes burning an American flag on stage.  This is a silly thing to get upset about.
View Quote

I know people that would be mad as shit about her doing this butvthey fly a confederate flag and talk about “my heritage”
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Liberalism is a fatal disease
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 6:53:05 AM EDT
[#20]
"If your culture is so special, why did you need to immigrate to another?"

Can never get that properly answered.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#21]
LOL....Mah culture....I should get me a Walloon flag. I can hear the neighbors now, "look at that big red cock".

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 6:57:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Divisiveness.  Only one flag should be displayed; not worn either.  Ours.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Let her celebrate her culture and graduation however she sees fit.  Its not like shes burning an American flag on stage.  This is a silly thing to get upset about.
View Quote
But what does any of that have to do with high school graduation?

Everyone should be in the same dress. Not wearing anything different because you think you're special.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's disrespectful to 1) her parents and 2) the country she grew up in. She's never even been to Honduras. My wife is the only one out of all of them and I've said many times we should visit her family but her exact words "why?  So we can kidnapped, raped, and killed in a shit hole?"

One Grade A large egg is 20 American dollars there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's disrespectful to 1) her parents and 2) the country she grew up in. She's never even been to Honduras. My wife is the only one out of all of them and I've said many times we should visit her family but her exact words "why?  So we can kidnapped, raped, and killed in a shit hole?"

One Grade A large egg is 20 American dollars there.

That last statement is complete bullshit. The Lempira is 24ish to the dollar. $20 USD would be about 480 lempiras, or enough for a full steak dinner with drinks in Honduras. I spend about 120 nights a year in San Pedro.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Divisiveness.  Only one flag should be displayed; not worn either.  Ours.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Seems like something that a lot of people latch onto when they're trying to figure out their own identity. I understand it, but there's a point where it just gets ridiculous, like when you have a UFC fighter that was born and raised in Arizona who puts on a fake accent and pretends she needs an interpreter because she's really getting in touch with her Brazilian roots.
View Quote
I don't understand it. What does figuring out your identity even mean?
If she was born in America. She was raised in American. What is there to "figure out"?

To me it's just another outward expression of unhappiness within oneself. They think they have to be something different or struggling for something else to be happy, but they won't be.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Everyone should be in the same dress. Not wearing anything different because you think you're special.
View Quote

If the school allows it why give a fuck?  Some of you guys are so fucking sensitive.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If the school allows it why give a fuck?  Some of you guys are so fucking sensitive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These types of arguments are so stupid. The same thing can be said of the person who feels the need to wear the flag of the place she's never even been to.

Because where does it end? You want people wearing commie flags? Pride flags? Maybe someone should wear a trump flag to see what happens.

Why give a fuck about anything? Why even bother with a gown and dress code?

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Next time you see her, play this:

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

She's a high school girl that doesn't sound like she's done anything in particular to set herself apart from every other bland middle-of-the-road teenager out there. Lots of people in that situation find themselves looking for something more to latch onto.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand it. What does figuring out your identity even mean?
If she was born in America. She was raised in American. What is there to "figure out"?

To me it's just another outward expression of unhappiness within oneself. They think they have to be something different or struggling for something else to be happy, but they won't be.

She's a high school girl that doesn't sound like she's done anything in particular to set herself apart from every other bland middle-of-the-road teenager out there. Lots of people in that situation find themselves looking for something more to latch onto.
I guess I can't relate. Never felt the need to latch onto anything more than I already am. If you're not happy/satisfied with yourself wearing a flag sure as shit isn't going to do it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There isn't a graduation in the universe I would be upset about missing.  They are boring and stupid.
View Quote

This!

I didn't go to my HS or college graduations, and I would have skipped med school, except my wife and parents would have killed me. I hate the senseless things.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:42:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We were at the cookout.  Everything was going great wife's mom was making Carne on the grill. Wife making the tortillas her dad and I talking about commies and helicopter rides ect.  My wife was DACA but all that's squared away now.

Well her siblings were all born here. Her dad raised them to respect their Honduran culture and celebrate it but at the core they're American. America gave them the opportunity ect. Her next sister is graduating high school soon and she said there's a trend of Hispanics and Asians (they love the chicom shit) wearing the flag of the country their "heritage" is from. So shes going to wrap a Honduras flag around her as she walks.  I laughed thinking it was a joke, her dad laughed too...  It wasn't a joke I'm not on board with it. Her dad is telling her how she's American and then speaking in Spanish talking about all the shit he risked to get here ect.  

Basically...  Her mom stepped in and said to calm down.  Her dad and I are going to most likely watch baseball and just attend the graduation party. It's fucking bullshit man. I never though to wear an Israeli or Dominican flag ever. I fly a Dominican flag UNDER the American flag and it's a a small ass toilet paper sized one. Why the hell is this a trend?  He said he was going to deport her ass.
View Quote

*etc
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

You didnt get off the boat in 2003.

That is why you don’t feel the love for the emerald isle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Congratulations for graduating. When you get home all of your stuff will be on the lawn ready for you to bring to Honduras. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Shes an attention seeking high schooler, doing graduation antics. I wouldn't die on this hill.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Shes an attention seeking high schooler, doing graduation antics. I wouldn't die on this hill.
View Quote
It's just a very small piece in the much larger snowflake mentality problem we have been seeing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:58:35 AM EDT
[#39]
I think it's more generational than anything.  I grew up in a Hispanic community, and most were second generation where their parents migrated from Mexico.  They were proud of the Mexican heritage and soccer team, but they were just as proud to be Americans.  Every Puerto Rican I knew in the Army were proud of their heritage and territory flag, but 99% had never been to PR.  I get the heritage pride, but our education system  has bashed America so much, I can almost understand you SIL being ignorant enough to take more pride in a county she's never been to.  Sad days.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#40]
I was just talking to someone the other day about something similar: many of today's immigrants do not really consider the United States to be "their country". They come here to make a buck but where they came from is still "their country" and we are just an ends to a means. Many arrange to be buried in their "home country" rather than here when they die because we never were "their country".

In comparison, three of my four grandparents immigrated from Germany. This was their country, not Germany and all were interred here. My maternal grandfather joined the National Guard, worked his way up to sergeant, and was fast tracked to full citizenship.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You said she has never been to Honduras.

As a graduation gift, offer her a one-way airline ticket.  
View Quote

That was my first thought as well...
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think it's more generational than anything.  I grew up in a Hispanic community, and most were second generation where their parents migrated from Mexico.  They were proud of the Mexican heritage and soccer team, but they were just as proud to be Americans.  Every Puerto Rican I knew in the Army were proud of their heritage and territory flag, but 99% had never been to PR.  I get the heritage pride, but our education system  has bashed America so much, I can almost understand you SIL being ignorant enough to take more pride in a county she's never been to.  Sad days.

ROCK6
View Quote
On the other end of the spectrum you have my grandfather; born in PR, took a boat to NYC with my grandma, enlisted in the Army in WWII but never left the service until retiring at CW4. He refused to teach his 5 kids Spanish, and told everyone he was Italian

He wouldn't be caught dead flying any flag besides old glory.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:24:37 AM EDT
[#43]
I lived in an area when younger with a fair amount of Puerto Rican’s, saw those flags and heard how great it was all the time.  I always wondered why they don’t go live there then.

On a related note, I worked with a guy from Bulgaria.  He would always say how good Bulgaria was about this and that.  One day another coworker called him out and said if it’s so good why did you leave.

In a thick Eastern European accent he said “well is kinda fucked up”
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Diversity or whatever else you're in to is fine, but communities deserve some cohesion. If you have divided loyalties make up your mind and live with your choice.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The daughter doesn't know what struggle is, nor does she appreciate what America offers, unlike her father.
It's comparable to extremely wealthy individuals who worked their way up from nothing, leaving their kids nothing, so they understand the struggle instead of being entitled, trust fund kids.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You said she has never been to Honduras.

As a graduation gift, offer her a one-way airline ticket.  
View Quote

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Irish is a pretty strong cultural identity around these parts amongst the townie trash type. Lots of Irish flags, tattoos etc.

Doubt op would be offended by Irish cultural items showing at graduation.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:49:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you don't like my country and my flag you're more than welcome to leave and go back to whence you came.
View Quote

-Amen
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
On the other end of the spectrum you have my grandfather; born in PR, took a boat to NYC with my grandma, enlisted in the Army in WWII but never left the service until retiring at CW4. He refused to teach his 5 kids Spanish, and told everyone he was Italian

He wouldn't be caught dead flying any flag besides old glory.
View Quote

I can understand that.  Same generation as the kids I grew up with.  Their parents made their kids talk English.  They were more American than most American-born citizens these days.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There isn't a graduation in the universe I would be upset about missing.  They are boring and stupid.
View Quote

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top