Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
makes ya wonder just exactly ALL THE MONEY THE SERVICES GET IS GOING..............
View Quote

People are expensive. Don't wonder why AI and remote warfare has so much traction. Also, the big boys LM, RT, GD etc never overlook an opportunity to squeeze more $$$ out of your pocket. It's expensive to say "USA #1!"
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

People are expensive. Don't wonder why AI and remote warfare has so much traction.
View Quote

It's a hope against hope. If we can't recruit Joe White Boy now, what makes us think the DOD will be employer of choice when he's a multiple credentialed CompSci expert?

We going to start a draft of those people? I guess we won't be able to laugh at the videos of fleeing Russians anymore.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1989-1993 disagrees with you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The old saying, "If you want peace, prepare for war" is quaint -- but the United States has NEVER been ready for a major war.
1989-1993 disagrees with you.
Really?  Major wars?

Panama, the Philippines, and Desert Storm -- just prior to Haiti.

U.S. military casualties in the Panama invasion were 23 killed and 325 wounded.

How many US soldiers died in the Gulf War?
Of the 219 (212 men and 7 women) US casualties, 154 were killed in battle and 65 died from non-battle causes. Thirty-five battle deaths were a result of friendly fire.

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#4]
You reap what you sow.

I knew an officer that was an amphib driver in GWOT.

The USMC went off to be a second land army and the amphibs were floating around empty for years.
Now the Commandant wants to be a second land army at a time when the big Navy figures it is getting pacing based on
fighting the kinetic fight against Taiwan.

That's going to 30 years of the Department of the Navy neglecting their amphibs and their customer not really caring.

Meanwhile the Army's rapid mobility lift is multi-use and un-cuttable.  I refer to C-17s.  
We could argue whether America's 911 force is SOCOM or the Army, but it is clearly not the USMC.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've seen a lot of articles of late about all the russian equipment that failed on the battlefield due to rotting tires, non-existent maintenance, old and outdated gear in general. Seems like that dragon has settled into our services as well. Gee, kinda makes ya wonder just exactly ALL THE MONEY THE SERVICES GET IS GOING..............

Don't get me wrong , I totally support the military mission as I understand it to be. But just as with everything else..........

WHERE IS THE GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING ACCOUNTABILITY FOR ALL THIS BULLSHIT????
View Quote

Not gonna happen but Task Force Smith version 2 will
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You reap what you sow.

The USMC went off to be a second land army and the amphibs were floating around empty for years.
Now the Commandant wants to be a second land army at a time when the big Navy figures it is getting pacing based on

That's going to 30 years of the Department of the Navy neglecting their amphibs and their customer not really caring.

Meanwhile the Army's rapid mobility lift is multi-use and un-cuttable.  I refer to C-17s.  
We could argue whether America's 911 force is SOCOM or the Army, but it is clearly not the USMC.
View Quote

During the GWOT the USMC filled request for forces (RFFs) that were asks by the various combatant commanders through the Joint Staff’s Global Force Management systems, those RFFs were approved by Sectary of Defense thus turning them into orders to deploy forces.  I know of several and can cite two specific cases were those RFFs initially were given to the Army but they reclama-ed them and than those RFFs were tasked to the USMC because the USA stated positioned was they could not generate forces in a timely manner.  One of them brought my MEU to Afghanistan in 2008 and the other RFF 825 sent 1st Battalion, 7th Marines out to western AFG causing some of the highest loses suffered by one battalion in Afghanistan to that point

The CMC wants the exact opposite of a second land Army, he wants the USMC  to operate as the land component of US naval forces in the ramp-up and prosecution of a maritime campaign. Which does not require traditional amphib shipping   Unfortunately traditional amphib shipping still is required for both the force-in-readiness mission that combatant commanders keep asking for and the JFEO mission that are written into multiple OPLANs. If the GCCs stop asking for the forces and the OPLANs are revised then the requirement goes away.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Lhd's are in a weird spot. They don't get the funding that carriers get, and they need way more logistics than ddg's and cg's get. Why would you ever prioritize a lhd funding and logistics over a carrier?

Carriers nearly do everything better. And are more of an asset.

Big problem is quantity over quality. Literally too many ships.

Another is funding.

Another is contracting work to lowest bidder

Another is material procurement

Last but most importantly, the navy isn't taking care of their sailors. The navy has a massive retention and recruitment issue right now. They just erased fitness standards to retain 1500 sailors. They are extending billots at sea. Nobody wants to stay in because sailors are always getting shit on. The boxer is doing an investigation for suspect of sailors literally sabatoging the ship to stop It from getting underway.

In the past 2 years the boxer has been underway for 7 days.

On my current ship, ddg type, I've been underway for around 700 days the past 2 years

-ET1. 13 years and current AD
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lhd's are in a weird spot. They don't get the funding that carriers get, and they need way more logistics than ddg's and cg's get. Why would you ever prioritize a lhd funding and logistics over a carrier?

Carriers nearly do everything better. And are more of an asset.

Big problem is quantity over quality. Literally too many ships.

Another is funding.

Another is contracting work to lowest bidder

Another is material procurement

Last but most importantly, the navy isn't taking care of their sailors. The navy has a massive retention and recruitment issue right now. They just erased fitness standards to retain 1500 sailors. They are extending billots at sea. Nobody wants to stay in because sailors are always getting shit on. The boxer is doing an investigation for suspect of sailors literally sabatoging the ship to stop It from getting underway.

In the past 2 years the boxer has been underway for 7 days.

On my current ship, ddg type, I've been underway for around 700 days the past 2 years

-ET1. 13 years and current AD
View Quote

For being in the USN for 13 years, you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the differences in missions between a LHD and a CVN.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

During the GWOT the USMC filled request for forces (RFFs) that were asks by the various combatant commanders through the Joint Staff’s Global Force Management systems, those RFFs were approved by Sectary of Defense thus turning them into orders to deploy forces.  I know of several and can cite two specific cases were those RFFs initially were given to the Army but they reclama-ed them and than those RFFs were tasked to the USMC because the USA stated positioned was they could not generate forces in a timely manner.  One of them brought my MEU to Afghanistan in 2008 and the other RFF 825 sent 1st Battalion, 7th Marines out to western AFG causing some of the highest loses suffered by one battalion in Afghanistan to that point

The CMC wants the exact opposite of a second land Army, he wants the USMC  to operate as the land component of US naval forces in the ramp-up and prosecution of a maritime campaign. Which does not require traditional amphib shipping   Unfortunately traditional amphib shipping still is required for both the force-in-readiness mission that combatant commanders keep asking for and the JFEO mission that are written into multiple OPLANs. If the GCCs stop asking for the forces and the OPLANs are revised then the requirement goes away.
View Quote

GFM is a bitch.  Too many people in positions of authority only see it as a means to build their ‘rice bowl’ bigger.  I’ve seen the unconstrained RFF’s that would not only empty the entire current and future buckets, but could only be justified with ‘the GCC wants it’ (cough, cough, CENTCOM cough, cough).  The underlying issue is with the GFM being OPLAN driven, the required forces cannot be generated as fast as the OPLANs can be rewritten.  The demand for specific forces 2 years out is well and good, except it can take a decade for those forces to be created.  By that time, the NMS has changed along with GCC priorities and OPLANs rewritten.  Constant tail chasing.  GFMIG and FADM be damned.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#10]
OFRP has failed.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OFRP has failed.
View Quote

OPRP from L type shipping was designed to support a 1.0 ARG-MEU cycle to CENTCOM
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For being in the USN for 13 years, you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the differences in missions between a LHD and a CVN.
View Quote

A CVN has a real world mission and the other has a mission similar to Kiwi boot polish and Leatherneck magazine?
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A CVN has a real world mission and the other has a mission similar to Kiwi boot polish and Leatherneck magazine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARG-MEUs have been probably doing significant real world work over the years.

The ships have been optimized for the force-in-readiness mission, I am not sure how well the can do the actual JFEO mission though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 10:03:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
GFM is a bitch.  

I’ve seen the unconstrained RFF’s that would not only empty the entire current and future buckets, but could only be justified with ‘the GCC wants it’ (cough, cough, CENTCOM cough, cough).  The underlying issue is with the GFM being OPLAN driven, the required forces cannot be generated as fast as the OPLANs can be rewritten.  The demand for specific forces 2 years out is well and good, except it can take a decade for those forces to be created.  By that time, the NMS has changed along with GCC priorities and OPLANs rewritten.  Constant tail chasing.  GFMIG and FADM be damned.
View Quote
Meh.

Each administration has its own National Security Strategy.  Each Secretary of Defense has his own National Defense Strategy.  Each Chairman has his own National Military Strategy.  Each unified and specified command has his idea how to execute, given the forces he owns or can request-borrow.

NONE of them is hugely different from the last.

Strategy is spelled with a dollar sign.  Just what, no kidding, is vital to address the existential threats to the United States, and what is pork and welfare for Congress critters, Senators, Service bosses, and the military complex that wants to sell things and make ignorant money?

For staff officers recommending what and how to juggle (at whatever activity or level) there is no perfect.  

Enemies and politics also have a vote (i.e., who predicted the current Ukraine invasion?).

The Navy's ship and personnel readiness problems are historic.  For a National Security Strategy since 2012 stating the United States is shifting attention to Asia (with a naval and air focus) you couldn't tell looking at the Navy's present woes.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have an extraordinarily charitable view of the C-17s, their abilities, their primary tasking, and how USTC and AMC view them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

GFM is a bitch.  Too many people in positions of authority only see it as a means to build their ‘rice bowl’ bigger.  I’ve seen the unconstrained RFF’s that would not only empty the entire current and future buckets, but could only be justified with ‘the GCC wants it’ (cough, cough, CENTCOM cough, cough).  The underlying issue is with the GFM being OPLAN driven, the required forces cannot be generated as fast as the OPLANs can be rewritten.  The demand for specific forces 2 years out is well and good, except it can take a decade for those forces to be created.  By that time, the NMS has changed along with GCC priorities and OPLANs rewritten.  Constant tail chasing.  GFMIG and FADM be damned.
View Quote

Good summation. I think the Joint Staff has consistently failed in really holding the GCC/FCCs feet to the fire on realistic resourcing and planning, and just kept building out OPLANs less and less tethered to reality.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#17]
During the second Clinton administration my ship was so short on funds we didn't have paint brushes to spread the paint we could get to prevent corrosion. We didn't have the money for the machine oil for the million dollar gyrocompass so just skip the maintenance. But the worst was we didn't have money to buy toilet paper. When my LPO came to me and told me that I sent a guy to the commissary to buy a jumbo box for the division.

We kept a hidden personally purchased supply in an empty locker until the ship bought paper again.

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You have an extraordinarily charitable view of the C-17s, their abilities, their primary tasking, and how USTC and AMC view them.
View Quote

If this is the case then we need to have a way to replace C-17s when they break.  There are not any more being built.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
All the world's forces are falling apart in some way or were never much to begin with.
The one great soviet union is no more. The Russian GDP is about equivalent to Italy's.
China can't field a blue water navy, much less get their aircraft carrier under way.
Great Britain has to rotate ships in and out of service because they can't afford to run them all at the same time.
The Cold War saw spending on an unprecedented scale. That is all over now.
View Quote

75% of the kids can't get in the services, and the military has to compete with the remaining 25% against $122K a year states like Washington pay people to not work.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

75% of the kids can't get in the services, and the military has to compete with the remaining 25% against $122K a year states like Washington pay people to not work.
View Quote

Looks like UBI >>>> AVF.

Well, too bad for the DOD.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Strategy is spelled with a dollar sign.
View Quote

This is a true-ism that most idealistic officers never quite get.  

One of my previous bosses told me when I got orders to Pentagon one piece of advice you need to know about the Pentagon.  It is not about the money, it’s all about the money.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Looks like UBI >>>> AVF.

Well, too bad for the DOD.
View Quote

I’m too lazy to post the link but a study indicated white make Democrats had the least likely interest in military service lower than black Democrats and white female democrats so I’m guessing it was never in the cards UBI or not. I’m more delighted to see the demonstrable decade long evidence that opening combat arms positions to women has done fuck all to fill those positions or increase recruiting overall. Now DOD is recommending that women be sourced for junior combat leadership since females are now over 60% of most college student populations. Lean into that idea DOD  
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If this is the case then we need to have a way to replace C-17s when they break.  There are not any more being built.
View Quote

GD has a solution - Not a problem three gorges dam, harbor freight, the Chinese haven’t fought in decades and lost to Vietnam, Peter Zeihan https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Why-Are-We-Losing-The-Ship-Building-Race-To-China-/5-2617285/?r=103251871&page=6&anc=103251871#i103251871
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

GD has a solution - Not a problem three gorges dam, harbor freight, the Chinese haven’t fought in decades and lost to Vietnam, Peter Zeihan
View Quote

Graveyard, Whistling Past.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Graveyard, Whistling Past.
View Quote

The latest insane post literally stated “when has China and Russia ever been friends” at this point I can’t tell whether it’s trolling, China sympathizers or absolute stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

GD has a solution - Not a problem three gorges dam, harbor freight, the Chinese haven't fought in decades and lost to Vietnam, Peter Zeihan.
View Quote

GD's solution is "Battleships".
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

GD's solution is "Battleships".
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Why-do-so-many-in-GD-seemingly-want-or-wish-for-it-all-to-end-catastrophically-/5-2629784/&page=9
I thought GD’s solution was Peter Zeihan collapsed China already or to gut the defense department because military industrial complex and the boogaloo is happening any day now despite their Hawaiian shirts collecting dust while the big guy collects his 10% and Arizona gets a new governor
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Amphibs have been the Rust Bucket Fleet of the Navy going back decades
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their abilities are a well known quantity, but it is a charitable view of the crew quals.  Tarmac to tarmac is the best they can guarantee as they suck at maintaining airdrop or dirt strip quals.

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
... the Joint Staff has consistently failed in really holding the GCC/FCCs feet to the fire on realistic resourcing and planning, and just kept building out OPLANs less and less tethered to reality.
View Quote
The Chairman, the Joint Chiefs, and the Joint Staff are NOT in the chain of command between the President and Secretary of Defense and the Specified and Unified Commanders.

They advise, suggest, and coordinate, but have NO authority, per se.

Joint Plans and Orders are signed by the Secretary of Defense.  How each CINC executes those taskings and orders from the SECDEF dictates what they ask for.  The Service Chiefs (in this case the Secretary of the Navy as the force provider) is supposed to tell the Secretary of Defense, President, and Congress what he needs to support the CINCs.  Each CINC testifies before Congress on why he needs the things he wants funded.

The Air Force is currently telling the chain of command they need to retire more airplanes to buy future airplanes that haven't been designed yet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The Chairman, the Joint Chiefs, and the Joint Staff are NOT in the chain of command between the President and Secretary of Defense and the Specified and Unified Commanders.

Joint Plans and Orders are technically signed by the Secretary of Defense.  How each CINC executes those dictates what they ask for.  The Service Chiefs (in this case the Secretary of the Navy as the force provider) is supposed to tell the Secretary of Defense, President, and Congress what he needs to support the CINCs.

The Air Force is currently telling the chain of command they need to retire more airplanes to buy future airplanes that haven't been designed yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... the Joint Staff has consistently failed in really holding the GCC/FCCs feet to the fire on realistic resourcing and planning, and just kept building out OPLANs less and less tethered to reality.

Joint Plans and Orders are technically signed by the Secretary of Defense.  How each CINC executes those dictates what they ask for.  The Service Chiefs (in this case the Secretary of the Navy as the force provider) is supposed to tell the Secretary of Defense, President, and Congress what he needs to support the CINCs.

Correct, and there is only 1 non-uniformed person in the chain of command, POTUS.  SECDEF is a Title X official and a force provider but not an operational official.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Correct, and there is only 1 non-uniformed person in the chain of command, POTUS.  SECDEF is a Title X official and a force provider but not an operational official.
View Quote
The President and the Secretary of Defense are both the civilian National Command Authority, both specified in Title 10.

§113. Secretary of Defense
(a)(1) There is a Secretary of Defense, who is the head of the Department of Defense, appointed from civilian life by the President, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate.

(b) The Secretary is the principal assistant to the President in all matters relating to the Department of Defense. Subject to the direction of the President and to this title and section 2 of the National Security Act of 1947 (50 U.S.C. 3002) he has authority, direction, and control over the Department of Defense.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The President and the Secretary of Defense are both the civilian National Command Authority, both specified in Title 10.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SECDEF and all the Service Sectaries are Title X Officials whose mission is provide forces (train, man, equip and educate) they are not in the operational chain of command, that flows from POTUS to the GCC or Functional Area CC who has COCOM authority.

The Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) is responsible for policy development, planning, resource management and program evaluation.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
SECDEF and all the Service Sectaries are Title X Officials whose mission is provide forces (train, man, equip and educate) they are not in the operational chain of command, that flows from POTUS to the GCC or Functional Area CC who has COCOM authority.
View Quote
The Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) is not THE Secretary of Defense (the person and position).
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) is not THE Secretary of Defense (the person and position).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you are right, but for some reason I remember an OPLAW article about civilian authority of command, and in that is cites POTUS as the only non-unformed person with command authority.  Civilians could have supervisory authority but could not exercise command authority
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#36]
After getting rid of tanks, MPs, scout/sniper platoons...
It sounds like the commandant's vision is to simply be shipboard
security and to show the flag here or there around the world.  

I really don't think having Marines on float is that big a deal now.  
They've divested themselves of the role.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You reap what you sow.

View Quote

The current commandant seems to want the opposite.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Humanitarian missions, that's about all the Marines will be good for soon. Took away all the tanks, most arty, some aircraft ,snipers, ....crayons are about all that's left.

View Quote

Crayons are all the Marines need.

They'll draw so many dicks & dickbutts all over on the 'enemy' they won't know what to do.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Twenty odd years fighting desert war has left the Navy and Marine Corps ill prepared for sea duties.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
... civilian authority of command, and in that is cites POTUS as the only non-unformed person with command authority.  Civilians could have supervisory authority but could not exercise command authority
View All Quotes
Quoted:
... civilian authority of command, and in that is cites POTUS as the only non-unformed person with command authority.  Civilians could have supervisory authority but could not exercise command authority
The Secretary of Defense is the single civilian in command, as the de facto "Deputy Commander-in-Chief" who handles the daily business of the entire United States military, thus maintaining civilian command and control of the armed forces.

Quoted:
Twenty odd years fighting desert war has left the Navy and Marine Corps ill prepared for sea duties.
The Commandant may want to get back to being expeditionary, nautical, maritime, and ship-borne for war in the Pacific -- but his fuel and ammunition have to come from somewhere.

If it's not pre-positioned in the Indo-Pacific already it's got to come from an Asia-Pacific depot, or all the way from the "Zone of the Interior" -- the continental United States.

We don't have enough ships and planes (even with a wartime activation of the Civil Reserve Air Fleet and the maritime reserve) to feed a land war in Asia.

Every drop of fuel pumped in the Asia-Pacific Command was shipped and stored by the Army.  No Army, no bullets, fuel, and groceries.

Reagan's dream of a 600-ship navy was to contain and defeat the Soviet fleet anywhere on the planet.  We're somewhere around 300-350, and struggling to keep them operational.

The Chinese have the largest ship-building infrastructure in the world, but they don't need a 600-ship fleet -- the entire PLA Navy deploys into the "First Island Chain" off their doorstep.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Navy has been its own worst enemy as far as going to Congress to build the fleet.

Congressional Research Service says the Navy's at around a 1:3 ratio now, with aging ships (1 in port or overhaul while the others are at sea, training, preparing, or recovering).  CRS says an ideal ratio is closer to 1:5 -- but the Navy cannot man them.

The reserve mothball fleet is in even worse condition.

The Army has been slashing its ship fleet even faster than the Navy.  The problem for Transportation Command is everything needed to fight a war on the other side of the planet (food, fuel, bullets, troops, and vehicles) needs to go by ship.

The old saying, "If you want peace, prepare for war" is quaint -- but the United States has NEVER been ready for a major war.

Strategy is spelled with dollar signs.
View Quote

The Navy doesn't really have much of a mothball fleet left at this point.  When Rumsfeld was SecDef most of it was scrapped, sunk as a target, or sold off (and the active navy shrank to its smallest since the bgeinning of the modern Navy in the 1880s).  Ships since have tended to be discarded instead of placed in reserve and at this point the number of ships in reserve is pretty small.  If we exclude stricken warships and other vessels that are still in the Navy's possession and in storage (and which get no special preservation measures), the reserve fleet literally consists of two LHAs and that's it.  It has some Ticos, the Kitty Hawk, a few amphibious warships, a few frigates, a few submarines, a few auxiliaries, and a bunch of yard craft in its possession but not on the Navy List anymore.  Some of the subs and the other nuclear stuff in its possession are in the process of dismantling, as all nuclear vessels are listed in Category Z reserve until they are completely dismantled.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

McCarthy already confronting Biden over debt ceiling, I can see DOD budget getting axed in a deal to come to a budget agreement
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple:  DoD is underfunded, and Congress (and this administration) sucks.

McCarthy already confronting Biden over debt ceiling, I can see DOD budget getting axed in a deal to come to a budget agreement

The two biggest sources of spending, which are what are bankrupting us (Social Security and Medicare), were taken off of the table by McCarthy (and honestly, I'm not sure Republicans have or ever will have the political capital to seriously do otherwise unless they are basically collapsing), which pretty much leaves the DoD and Medicaid as the next largest sources of spending from which to cut.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The two biggest sources of spending, which are what are bankrupting us (Social Security and Medicare), were taken off of the table by McCarthy (and honestly, I'm not sure Republicans have or ever will have the political capital to seriously do otherwise unless they are basically collapsing), which pretty much leaves the DoD and Medicaid as the next largest sources of spending from which to cut.
View Quote

Would cuts from those two mollify both sides of the aisle or is another impasse likely? https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/mccarthy-spurns-bidens-budget-dont-play-games-debt                                                                    Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#44]
The Presidential Budget proposal was 3.5 percent, with inflation at 6 or more. It’s already in effect a cut.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Joint Plans and Orders are signed by the Secretary of Defense.  How each CINC executes those taskings and orders from the SECDEF dictates what they ask for.  The Service Chiefs (in this case the Secretary of the Navy as the force provider) is supposed to tell the Secretary of Defense, President, and Congress what he needs to support the CINCs.  Each CINC testifies before Congress on why he needs the things he wants funded.

View Quote

I think you glossed over the "and coordinate." The Joint Staff has the responsibility to ensure nesting, and referee resource allocation in the first instance and in most cases day to day not managed by DIRLATH.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I think you are right, but for some reason I remember an OPLAW article about civilian authority of command, and in that is cites POTUS as the only non-unformed person with command authority.  Civilians could have supervisory authority but could not exercise command authority
View Quote

Yes, this is why the directors of entities like DLA or NSA (Combat Support Agencies) are uniformed members.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think you glossed over the "and coordinate." The Joint Staff has the responsibility to ensure nesting, and referee resource allocation in the first instance and in most cases day to day not managed by DIRLATH.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The JS also implemented the synchronizer function within the last 5 years and have gone so far as establishing the Joint Fires Element at JS to coordinate global fires.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Simple:  DoD is underfunded, and Congress (and this administration) sucks.
View Quote

LOmotherfuckinL

That's the wrongest thing I've ever seen on this site in 18 years.

PLEASE tell me my sarcasm meter needs calibrated.

The DOD is a LOT of things but underfunded GOD damned sure ain't one of them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
After getting rid of tanks, MPs, scout/sniper platoons...
It sounds like the commandant's vision is to simply be shipboard
security and to show the flag here or there around the world.  

I really don't think having Marines on float is that big a deal now.  
They've divested themselves of the role.
View Quote

Tanks are not very amphibious especially upgraded variants that we didn’t even have, MP battalions only went away not all of the PMO MOS’s, and scout platoons are still a battalion asset.

I think you need to read more into what a MAGTF provides and the transitioning mission of the USMC. The commandant’s plans coincide with this shift.

Changes suck but it’s not a bad thing to have leadership focusing on the next fight instead of the previous.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Tanks are not very amphibious especially upgraded variants that we didn’t even have, MP battalions only went away not all of the PMO MOS’s, and scout platoons are still a battalion asset.

I think you need to read more into what a MAGTF provides and the transitioning mission of the USMC. The commandant’s plans coincide with this shift.

Changes suck but it’s not a bad thing to have leadership focusing on the next fight instead of the previous.
View Quote

In my nobody small fry golfing opinion the problem with the USMC is their 2030+ timeline goals and capacity - 170,000 active end strength https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/USMC-plans-for-fighting-a-war-with-China-off-to-a-rocky-start-/5-2598090/&page=2
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top