Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Something something OSHA missing teeth worn out saw blades something something.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:31:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixtigers] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
WOW this is freaking cool!!

I can't believe I missed this until now, definitely tag since this interests me (Wildland Volunteer Fireman)

Anyone remember these?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425704/20220908_223430_jpg-2519378.JPG
View Quote

Indian Pumps!  Very fond memories.  On Boy Scout Summer Camp staff, we used them at campfires to make sure they were out afterwards, and kept them on hand for immediate response to out of control fires.
We had 24hrs off between sessions--we'd get out on the lake with these in rowboats and canoes and have epic water battles.  Enjoyed them so much that I still have a couple, I think, somewhere in the garage...not the cool old metal ones like your pic, but the newer cloth version that is more comfortable to wear. Hand pump is the same.

My neighbor when I was a kid was a forester.  He used Indian Pumps all the time, too--but not like you'd think: They put diesel in them and used to spray down stump piles and brush for burning, to keep the flame going on harder/wetter materiel.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
When I was a volunteer smoke eater it didn't take long to realize that an ax or a shovel weighed a LOT less than an Indian Tank. The new guys were always eager to grab one and we were happy to let them go for it.
View Quote
Yup

When I started 6 years ago I would grab one of those Indians and go scale mountain sides

Now I usually just grab a Rogue Hoe or a Pulaski and just start digging
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:39:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rocketman89408] [#5]
Originally Posted By guns762:

Ok, here you go.  Yes, we still need a blade replacement.  
5/8" arbor hole.
https://i.imgur.com/QtuiwrH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/koEM805.jpg
View Quote

OK, on it. What is the address.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sixtigers:

Indian Pumps!  Very fond memories.  On Boy Scout Summer Camp staff, we used them at campfires to make sure they were out afterwards, and kept them on hand for immediate response to out of control fires.
We had 24hrs off between sessions--we'd get out on the lake with these in rowboats and canoes and have epic water battles.  Enjoyed them so much that I still have a couple, I think, somewhere in the garage...not the cool old metal ones like your pic, but the newer cloth version that is more comfortable to wear. Hand pump is the same.

My neighbor when I was a kid was a forester.  He used Indian Pumps all the time, too--but not like you'd think: They put diesel in them and used to spray down stump piles and brush for burning, to keep the flame going on harder/wetter materiel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sixtigers:
WOW this is freaking cool!!

I can't believe I missed this until now, definitely tag since this interests me (Wildland Volunteer Fireman)

Anyone remember these?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/425704/20220908_223430_jpg-2519378.JPG

The metal cans are ooold. I'm not sure I ever saw 1 in use, just the yellow bladder bags. The brass pump is the same, is it a replacement or did they just always look the same. Usefull if that's the only water you can get mopping up, but not loved by all
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't mean to intrude in the thread.

Tanker 23, the P-3 Orion belonged to Aero Union based in Chico, Ca.

That aircraft used to be based here in McCall, Idaho a number of years ago.

It's mate, Tanker 24 was also here off and on for a few years.

Right now we have a number of Air Attack planes here, the yellow scoopers, several SEATS, a couple of Kamov helicopters, a firehawk, (Blackhawk) a Columbia CH-47 variant, and a couple of Huey's.

That's not counting the Jumper aircraft over at the Smokejumper base.

It is a very active fire season here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:35:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Rocketman89408:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rocketman89408:

Ok, here you go.  Yes, we still need a blade replacement.  
5/8" arbor hole.
https://i.imgur.com/QtuiwrH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/koEM805.jpg

Check IM @Rocketman89408
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 6:16:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Nehi:

The metal cans are ooold. I'm not sure I ever saw 1 in use, just the yellow bladder bags. The brass pump is the same, is it a replacement or did they just always look the same. Usefull if that's the only water you can get mopping up, but not loved by all
View Quote
We still used the old metal Indians up until 4 years ago. We were able to get a forestry grant and got the new bladder bags which are sooooooo much nicer then the old metal tanks

When we got the bladder bags we asked DCNR if they want any of the old Indian tanks. They told us "we don't need any of that shit. Keep them and give them to your members if they want them"

I believe we still have like 10 or so in the back storage room
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By crash55:
...we have a number of Air Attack planes here, the yellow scoopers, several SEATS, a couple of Kamov helicopters, a firehawk, (Blackhawk) a Columbia CH-47 variant, and a couple of Huey's.

That's not counting the Jumper aircraft over at the Smokejumper base.

It is a very active fire season here.
View Quote

That's quite the stack they've got there. Wherever the hell "here" is.

More aircraft pics and info, including the C-130:
https://www.nifc.gov/resources/aircraft
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:  We still used the old metal Indians up until 4 years ago. We were able to get a forestry grant and got the new bladder bags which are sooooooo much nicer then the old metal tanks

When we got the bladder bags we asked DCNR if they want any of the old Indian tanks. They told us "we don't need any of that shit. Keep them and give them to your members if they want them"

View Quote

I'll pay postage to ship one to Wyoming.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#12]
We still used the old metal Indians up until 4 years ago. We were able to get a forestry grant and got the new bladder bags which are sooooooo much nicer then the old metal tanks

View All Quotes

Really, dang! After I posted I remembered there are also the rubber bladder bags with the pistol grip pump, that were after the metal, but before the cloth with the replaceable plastic bag inside.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 11:47:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Really, dang! After I posted I remembered there are also the rubber bladder bags with the pistol grip pump, that were after the metal, but before the cloth with the replaceable plastic bag inside.
View Quote
We have some of those too I believe
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I'll pay postage to ship one to Wyoming.
View Quote

Make that two.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:27:04 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been asked what we could use this year for tools, and such.  

I asked students today what we could use, and here is what was brainstormed:

Compact driver/drill. - We need something that is smaller and more compact than the normal DeWalt drills.  
10" Chop saw blade-   We cut 2x4s, 1x2s and 2x2s with it mostly.  Ours is missing teeth.  
Cordless Dremel- We have two corded, but both are not long for this world.  Bit sets would also be well appreciated.
Needle nose plyers- We have none.  
Hand Drywall saw-  Something small that we can cut foam with(not a power tool).  We have one, and it's prized.
DeWalt batteries- Extras, as we have many tools that use these and we are constantly robbing from one for the other.
Wire cutters-  We have a couple sets, but more would be appreciated.
View Quote

dewalt right angle drill, some right angle attachments and some hand saws incoming
keep up the good work guns. you really are changing lives for the better.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By blackx-runner:

dewalt right angle drill, some right angle attachments and some hand saws incoming
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By blackx-runner:

Compact driver/drill. - We need something that is smaller and more compact than the normal DeWalt drills.  
10" Chop saw blade-   We cut 2x4s, 1x2s and 2x2s with it mostly.  Ours is missing teeth.  
Cordless Dremel- We have two corded, but both are not long for this world.  Bit sets would also be well appreciated.
Hand Drywall saw-  Something small that we can cut foam with(not a power tool).  We have one, and it's prized.
DeWalt batteries- Extras, as we have many tools that use these and we are constantly robbing from one for the other.

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 11:12:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#18]
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 12:48:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#19]
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#20]
We are going to have to loosen his pants a little.  They are hiked up pretty far to button and it looks a little odd.   He's got a nice T-shirt on though.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By deuce_22:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By deuce_22:
Originally Posted By guns762:We are going to have to loosen his pants a little.  They are hiked up pretty far to button and it looks a little odd.   He's got a nice T-shirt on though.  

One of the GI Joe smokejumper dolls, presumably.  PIc didn't make it into the post.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:51:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#22]
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Updated...   You guys were flooding my inbox this weekend and I was up on the mountain with no service.  

Edited again...  

DeWalt cordless 18ga. Nailer/Crown Stapler--  Sixtigers

They are excited!
View All Quotes

Edited to add what's been sent so we don't end up with multiples....  

Compact driver/drill. - We need something that is smaller and more compact than the normal DeWalt drills.   --Sent by @blackx-runner
10" Chop saw blade-   We cut 2x4s, 1x2s and 2x2s with it mostly.  Ours is missing teeth.  -- sent by @Rocketman89408
Hand Drywall saw-  Something small that we can cut foam with(not a power tool).  We have one, and it's prized. --Sent by @blackx-runner
DeWalt batteries- Extras, as we have many tools that use these and we are constantly robbing from one for the other. --Sent by @AZNetEng

Updated...   You guys were flooding my inbox this weekend and I was up on the mountain with no service.  

Edited again...  

They are excited!
1st box shows delivered @guns762
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#25]

I'll go down in a few and see if it's here and delivered from the facilities building where UPS usually leaves all of packages.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZNetEng:

Edited to add what's been sent so we don't end up with multiples....  

Compact driver/drill. - We need something that is smaller and more compact than the normal DeWalt drills.   --Sent by @blackx-runner
10" Chop saw blade-   We cut 2x4s, 1x2s and 2x2s with it mostly.  Ours is missing teeth.  -- sent by @Rocketman89408
Hand Drywall saw-  Something small that we can cut foam with(not a power tool).  We have one, and it's prized. --Sent by @blackx-runner
DeWalt batteries- Extras, as we have many tools that use these and we are constantly robbing from one for the other. --Sent by @AZNetEng

Edited again...  

They are excited!
1st box shows delivered @guns762

I'll go down in a few and see if it's here and delivered from the facilities building where UPS usually leaves all of packages.
Sounds like my RV park!
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Nothing to the HS office today.   It will be there tomorrow.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZNetEng:
Sounds like my RV park!

Nothing to the HS office today.   It will be there tomorrow.  
Ok. Came in USPS according to the tracking.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Delivery delayed through Chicago...of course. Hope the box isn't freaking empty.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
Delivery delayed through Chicago...of course. Hope the box isn't freaking empty.
View Quote

Chicago? Oh, the driver was probably murdered.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:34:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#32]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Ok, so we got some deliveries today!  

Our Christmas trees make up most of what was delivered, but we got these today.  

Not sure who sent these, Amazon fulfillment, USPS delivery.   THANK YOU!   They are perfect!  
https://i.imgur.com/D47opZP.jpg

View Quote
Glad they showed up. Amazon sent me a note that there was a problem with the delivery this morning. Tracking showed the package delivered.

Turns out USPS tried to deliver the box on Sunday...
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Update 9/13

@Frank_B

Your Arduino kit got raided already yesterday.   Thank you again!   This is our U.S. Senate Page back at PHS again, after his semester out in D.C. last Spring.   He was originally working on all the robotics for the F-22.  He is now picking up where the Seniors left us last spring, and trying to rewire the arduino and get us working.  The wires in the kit are better than what was used last spring, so we are using them now.
https://i.imgur.com/vWrg949.jpg
View Quote

As I was walking out of the UPS office, it dawned on me that I should have placed an old vacuum tube in the box with no explanation to see what the reaction would be.
I'd be willing to wager that no one in that class has ever seen one.

Link Posted: 9/13/2022 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Beat.

I was gonna suggest a C130 with white or red cotton to represent water.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 5:55:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#40]
Update 9/13

@Frank_B

Your Arduino kit got raided already yesterday.   Thank you again!   This is our U.S. Senate Page back at PHS again, after his semester out in D.C. last Spring.   He was originally working on all the robotics for the F-22.  He is now picking up where the Seniors left us last spring, and trying to rewire the arduino and get us working.  The wires in the kit are better than what was used last spring, so we are using them now.

And if Monday's aren't bad enough......  The Marine One door dang near fell off completely.   I think the springs in the chain tensioner got stretched, and the door got torqued, breaking both 3D printed mounts.  New mounts are getting printed.  What a day.
https://i.imgur.com/jAfbBsG.jpg

We traded out the shirt, and got the waist of the pants down to a normal level.  We had to slice up the back of the pants to make it button in front, but not a problem.  It will be covered by the pack anyway.  His face is getting chopped today.  

ETA: Holy Shit!   I didn't see the BFL till just now in the pics!  NICE!!!  
https://i.imgur.com/C3pKmhN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sUSoBh7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MM5Ooo5.jpg

These will be our smoldering fire/embers displays.   We are going to paint the wood and add lights behind them.
https://i.imgur.com/Yi9eaXQ.jpg

We did a little testing last week.  Not wild about the added drawing board texture, but I think we can still play with a little bit on some pieces if we make them more quadrilateral in shapes.
https://i.imgur.com/Up9QJoV.jpg

We are putting texture lines in our landscape tiers to make the rock a little more believable.
https://i.imgur.com/ojqqlAr.jpg

More mural work yesterday.   We are going to blend in more greens and grays near the elk, and up under where the bear and hot shot member will be.
https://i.imgur.com/atks5Rw.jpg

Our smoky plume skies
https://i.imgur.com/iB7bTtI.jpg

We are working on fitting our tower to the pole.  This requires pretty precise measuring and cutting to make sure it fits tight and there is no way it can wobble, once installed.
https://i.imgur.com/9lpuDOL.jpg

View Quote
@guns762

Your going to have to give that mannequin a rough beard and make him smell like smoke and sweat
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:11:30 PM EDT
[#42]
How about one of those model train smoke makers? They can apparently be programmed to smell like all kinds of things, including diesel or coal smoke. Just a random idea.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#43]
An old coal mine that catches fire in a forest fire?  Has such a thing happened?  Or can you come up w/ the smell of burning tires, and show a giant tire disposal pyramid alight?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Well not to derail, but isn't there an underground coal mine that's been burning for something 50 years?
That was the best I could come up with - they might have a program or additive that smells like wood smoke too, dunno.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By armoredman:  Well not to derail, but isn't there an underground coal mine that's been burning for something 50 years?
That was the best I could come up with - they might have a program or additive that smells like wood smoke too, dunno.
View Quote

You could just have a vent out to the smoke pit, and suck some tobacco smoke back inside for realism.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I'll send him some of my pipe tobacco - it smells much better.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Update 9/13

@Frank_B

And if Monday's aren't bad enough......  The Marine One door dang near fell off completely.   I think the springs in the chain tensioner got stretched, and the door got torqued, breaking both 3D printed mounts.  New mounts are getting printed.  What a day.
https://i.imgur.com/jAfbBsG.jpg

We traded out the shirt, and got the waist of the pants down to a normal level.  We had to slice up the back of the pants to make it button in front, but not a problem.  It will be covered by the pack anyway.  His face is getting chopped today.  

ETA: Holy Shit!   I didn't see the BFL till just now in the pics!  NICE!!!  
https://i.imgur.com/C3pKmhN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sUSoBh7.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MM5Ooo5.jpg

These will be our smoldering fire/embers displays.   We are going to paint the wood and add lights behind them.
https://i.imgur.com/Yi9eaXQ.jpg

We did a little testing last week.  Not wild about the added drawing board texture, but I think we can still play with a little bit on some pieces if we make them more quadrilateral in shapes.
https://i.imgur.com/Up9QJoV.jpg

We are putting texture lines in our landscape tiers to make the rock a little more believable.
https://i.imgur.com/ojqqlAr.jpg

More mural work yesterday.   We are going to blend in more greens and grays near the elk, and up under where the bear and hot shot member will be.
https://i.imgur.com/atks5Rw.jpg

Our smoky plume skies
https://i.imgur.com/iB7bTtI.jpg

We are working on fitting our tower to the pole.  This requires pretty precise measuring and cutting to make sure it fits tight and there is no way it can wobble, once installed.
https://i.imgur.com/9lpuDOL.jpg

View Quote

Are you putting hand rails on the stairs?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Speaking of smoke. Any thoughts of adding some smoke generators to the display.

Ones like these I think would work nicely and could be controlled by a Arduino

They aren't very expensive for the small low voltage ones. You could put one in the burning ember logs.

EBR
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top