Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2017 4:10:42 PM EDT
The San Diego Air & Space Museum (SDASM) releases some real gems on their Flickr and YouTube pages. Today they posted some of the best footage I have ever seen of Pan Am Flight 845's emergency landing at San Francisco International Airport (SFO/KSFO) on July 30, 1971. If you watched the Smithsonian Channel documentary about the history of the 747 ("747: The Jumbo Revolution" (2014)), it was covered in one of the last segments of the program, but the footage they used for N747PA's landing was not even close to this quality.

For those unaware of the incident, here's a link and brief summary excerpt from WikiPedia:
Wikipedia - Pan Am Flight 845
Pan Am Flight 845 was a Boeing 747-121, registration N747PA, operating as a scheduled international passenger flight between Los Angeles and Tokyo, with an intermediate stop at San Francisco International Airport (ICAO: KSFO). On July 30, 1971, at 15:29 PDT, while taking off from San Francisco bound for Tokyo, the aircraft struck approach lighting system structures located past the end of the runway, seriously injuring two passengers and sustaining significant damage. The crew continued the takeoff, flying out over the ocean and circling while dumping fuel, eventually returning for a landing in San Francisco. After coming to a stop, the crew ordered an emergency evacuation, during which 27 passengers were injured while exiting the aircraft, with eight of them suffering serious back injuries. The accident was investigated by the NTSB, which determined the probable cause was the pilot's use of incorrect takeoff reference speeds. The NTSB also found various procedural failures in the dissemination and retrieval of flight safety information, which contributed to the accident. . . .
View Quote
YouTube: SDASM - "F 3573 July 30 1971 Boeing 747 Emergency Landing at SFO Pan Am Airlines"
F 3573 July 30 1971 Boeing 747 Emergency Landing at SFO Pan Am Airlines

Here's a link to a contemporaneous "lessons learned"-film about the flight, which illustrates the degraded quality of the video I had become accustomed to seeing over the past 20+ years about the incident:
YouTube: Viewcroft - "Pan Am B747 San Francisco Accident - 1971"
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I kept watching it wondering when they were going to flare...
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that the one that caused a revamp of the emergency slides because the wind rendered them useless?
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is that the one that caused a revamp of the emergency slides because the wind rendered them useless?
View Quote
Going solely on memory, I believe the slides had to be redesigned to be more rigid. I wouldn't doubt if there were other changes mandated as well.
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The last 747 passenger flight was last week I think...
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:24:57 AM EDT
[#6]
So he managed to fuck up the take-off and the landing. Brilliant.

Hope the FO and FE stole the Capt's credit card for the bar tab that night.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
there are virgin 747s currently flying from london-gatwick to cancun and montego bay, klm 747s from amsterdam to mexico city and jfk, a british airways 747s from heathrow to jfk, dulles, and boston.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 5:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe......but with as tail low as it was sitting, that might have had something to do with it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
United made its last flight with a 747 last week.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Going solely on memory, I believe the slides had to be redesigned to be more rigid. I wouldn't doubt if there were other changes mandated as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
that video would certainly support it!  dang
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 1:15:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
For United, Delta's will be soon as the airplanes time/cycle out. The "Whale" will be with us for awhile, at least another 20-25 years.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For United, Delta's will be soon as the airplanes time/cycle out. The "Whale" will be with us for awhile, at least another 20-25 years.
View Quote
I wouldn't be shocked if Amazon Air doesn't buy 50 more.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 2:16:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

It'll be around for a bit.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 2:46:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I kept watching it wondering when they were going to flare...
View Quote
Navy pilots.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#15]
The only 747 wheels and brakes I ever got to play with were Lufthansa, Evergreen, and Tradewinds.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#16]
So, did the pilot log that as two landings or one landing and one very quick touch-and-go?

That was a hell of a bounce.   Understandable given the circumstances, but still impressive.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 1:23:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Prime Air (aka Amazon) doesn't have any 747s. Its an all 767 operation.

For what Amazon wants to do the 747 makes little sense. Now that it is getting harder to find used 767s for conversion (and the conversion pipe line is jam packed) i imagine Amazon will either do like FedEx and order new build 767-300Fs (supposedly Boeing is looking at a production rate increase for the 767) or get in line for A330 conversions, but like the 767 the used market for decent planes is fairly dry.
Quoted:
United did.
Plenty of other operators still have them. LH, KE and CA all the the 8i and I imagine they will keep them going for a while.

Quoted:

Not even close. Delta is parking the fleet by the end of the year. Last international flight (ICN-DTW) is next month(17th IIRC), the rest will be charter and some farewell stuff. The last 4 747s delivered DL has won't even be 20 years old.

Delta (and United) would have had to install NGI systems by the end of the year on the aircraft if they want to keep flying them. Both airlines did the math and figured out it was better to go ahead and buy the 777(UA) or A350(DL) than do the mod on the aircraft.

Also DL will be parking a few (2 or 3) 767-300ERs. 777 and 764 cabin mods will be starting soon also.
Going to be yet another crazy summer for utilization on the wide bodies.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Prime Air (aka Amazon) doesn't have any 747s. Its an all 767 operation.

For what Amazon wants to do the 747 makes little sense. Now that it is getting harder to find used 767s for conversion (and the conversion pipe line is jam packed) i imagine Amazon will either do like FedEx and order new build 767-300Fs (supposedly Boeing is looking at a production rate increase for the 767) or get in line for A330 conversions, but like the 767 the used market for decent planes is fairly dry.
View Quote
As you note, its a feedstock issue. I still wonder how a A330 freighter will do, as I'm less than convinced that structurally and design wise it might face durability issues.

I'd agree that 767s are optimum, but the 747 might be what's available, and Boeing's willingness to deal to keep the line open and viable might buy them time to figure out a 737 replacement.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#19]
When the first 747 flew over Dallas it made a "publicity pass" over the Cotton Bowl during a football game. I was a young air mercenary pulling banners in a Stearman over the bowl at the same time.

I'll never forget that sight as he passed along side me. That was only the second time I had been flying in an airplane and could hear another airplane fly by.

I later had to write a letter to the FAA attesting to the fact that it was actually at 1000' AGL. The sight of that biggass bird for the first time terrified a lot of people and many complained to the FAA that it was too low.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Kimball Scribner was the Pan Am pilot on that flight.  I heard him speak of that incident at Embry-Riddle around 1978 where he was a Trustee at the time.  There's a famous picture shot from field level of the pass.  Looks like a scene from "Black Sunday".  Used to have that on a poster in the student bookstore.  Quite the character.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top