View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Updated version of a gun made in 1975.

CZ's latest design is the P10.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 2:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Holey Fuck Man! Did your mother drop you on your head or something? I have no idea exactly what it is but something has to be seriously wrong with you if you truly believe both of those statements. Either comment on their own would be but together in the same thread is full on
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1911 has the aesthetics of a brick.

Quoted:
My PPS, an elegant pistol in its own right

Holey Fuck Man! Did your mother drop you on your head or something? I have no idea exactly what it is but something has to be seriously wrong with you if you truly believe both of those statements. Either comment on their own would be but together in the same thread is full on

It's a matter of physical design aeshetics, which must be beyond your comprehension.

The 1911 was never meant to look good or to be elegant. It was only made to function.

Any and all Walther pistols, whether or not you appreciate Germanic design, look better than the 1911,
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 3:14:31 AM EDT
[#3]
https://content.osgnetworks.tv/gunsandammo/content/photos/Smith-Wesson-Model-19-770.jpg
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's a matter of physical design aeshetics, which must be beyond your comprehension.

The 1911 was never meant to look good or to be elegant. It was only made to function.

Any and all Walther pistols, whether or not you appreciate Germanic design, look better than the 1911,
View Quote

Looks were not the 1911's main design criteria but if you think its look wasn't considered then you know nothing about early 20th century industrial design but to be clear on your assertions...

The 1911 is so ugly that over a century later its still one of the most popular guns sold and just about every manufacturer offers a version of it.

The PPS by contrast is so elegant that a mere 9 years after it was introduced Walther had to completely redesign so that it didn't have the ergos of a 1x4.

I guess maybe a person has to be autistic to comprehend your logic? If you were at least arguing for the M2 variant I could have just chalked it up to person preference but to call the original PPS "elegant" is just full on retarded.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I do think its an age thing as the older I get, the more I appreciate and yurn for the older all metal guns. They do have more soul IMO

The markings on your 232 is not what I'm use to seeing? Usually the SL guns are marked "232 SL" on the slide and the 'Made in Germany" marking is usually also on the slide, not the frame but I like how yours is done much better. Was yours a blue (nitrided) gun that has was later chromed or something along those lines?
View Quote

@airgunner nope, factory stainless. Maybe I need to hit the Sig forums and do some research, that’s an interesting observation
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I always thought the Model 39 had a certain kind of class.  

Granted, I am kind of a weirdo.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#7]

That does have very nice lines, in fact if you kind of squint...I could make the argument that a bobtailed commander 1911 is a much better looking pistol, aesthetically, than a government model, but I can do without the hate mail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The Government Model is classic.

But the Commander...the Commander is smooth.

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#9]

The 92 is a great example, but that thing is way too busy to be used in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@airgunner nope, factory stainless. Maybe I need to hit the Sig forums and do some research, that’s an interesting observation
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108967/IMG_0114_jpeg-3135401.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/108967/IMG_0114_jpeg-3135401.JPG
@Action45

If you don't mind, let me know what you find out? Marking wise, I think yours looks significantly better than the ones I've seen.

Quoted:
I could make the argument that a bobtailed commander 1911 is a much better looking pistol, aesthetically, than a government model
No argument from me. Bobtailed commanders as sexy AF IMO and the vbob is one of the nicest
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think you equate “elegant” with “swoopy”.   A gun can be elegant without deliberate styling elements added.  I think the 1911 is one of the most elegant designs, because the function so perfectly defines the form.  I also agree that Glock has the same quality.
View Quote

I think mostly what makes handguns look ugly these days is the slide serrations.

It’s as if every company is trying to out do the others on how ridiculous their slide serrations are.

The Glock despite being very simple, and blocky is elegant in its simplicity IMO.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Sig Stainless P series in general… beautiful guns.

I bought a few.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#14]

I’ve got one of those, It’s a cool little pistol.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#15]

@Undaunted I'm going to need details regarding the MP5 under-desk mount.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Atomic Spacegun.  Great stuff.

In general, I've come to function over form.  High bore axis Sigs look better but shoot worse than low bore axis Glocks.  1911 looks more classic than the Hipower, which is all disproportionate on one side, but Hipower is the better gun, until you start making classes to favor the 1911.

Wild designs are cool, but also frequently just not that good.  Rhino looks like a space gun, but kabooms go down and are super dangerous compared to conventional revolvers.

Function is the purpose, and panache doesn't do the job.

That said, sometimes it just takes a different artistic eye to make something functional pretty.

Raymond Wielgus could probably art deco up a Ruger P85 into a masterpiece.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's a simple magnet mount. The 5906 lives there,  buy I thought I would test the mount on the black one.  
Please note the quality of the install.

Attachment Attached File

@birddog1911
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Polymer frame and striker fired do not lend themselves to beautiful handguns IMO.
I could be wrong, but I'd need to see examples.
I know many here will disagree, and I can see beauty in my Glocks and other striker fired guns, but elegant they are not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Polymer frame and striker fired do not lend themselves to beautiful handguns IMO.
I could be wrong, but I'd need to see examples.
I know many here will disagree, and I can see beauty in my Glocks and other striker fired guns, but elegant they are not.
View Quote

You can make polymer into practically any shape you want. But yeah, I don't know of any polymer framed striker fired handguns off the top of my head that don't look somewhat ugly.

With the very first one, the VP-70 they were clearly going for swoopy shapes. But it still came out looking fugly.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:29:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You can make polymer into practically any shape you want. But yeah, I don't know of any polymer framed striker fired handguns off the top of my head that don't look somewhat ugly.

With the very first one, the VP-70 they were clearly going for swoopy shapes. But it still came out looking fugly.
View Quote

I’ve got a VP70 but it’s in 9x21. Apparently was made for the Italian market. Now you can add the funky look to the terrible trigger and add a weird cartridge. What a combo!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#21]

that is one helluva fine looking pistol. front strap checkering a bit too much for my taste but still solid, and the frame, slide, and grips are awesome
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#22]
All sigs should have wood grips

Untitled by Frisky Dillo, on Flickr

Untitled by Frisky Dillo, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I’ve got a VP70 but it’s in 9x21. Apparently was made for the Italian market. Now you can add the funky look to the terrible trigger and add a weird cartridge. What a combo!
View Quote

200 Years from now someone, somewhere is going to find that gun and say, "sigh... Better than nothing I suppose."
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Meh

There are guns you love to show your friends, and there are guns you trust to show your enemies.  They're not always the same.
View Quote

But sometimes they are
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In general, I've come to function over form.  High bore axis Sigs look better but shoot worse than low bore axis Glocks.  
View Quote

I use to buy into it the whole "high bore axis" nonsense but it was proven to be BS a long time ago and as I've became a better shooter, I learned that lesson first hand. The whole "shoots worse" comment is just laughable.

I've got dozen Sigs in various flavors (DA/SA models, SAO's and striker fired) and I've had at least that many Glocks over the years (down to handful now) and even though I have over 10 years more experience shooting Glocks, I am noticeable more accurate with all of my Sigs then I've ever been with any Glock I've ever owned or shot.

There is no 1 size fits all (or is perfect for all) in the gun world. Just because you prefer a specific gun for whatever your reasons may be, don't be fooled into thinking it's better then everything else, for everybody else.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:49:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

But sometimes they are
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Meh

There are guns you love to show your friends, and there are guns you trust to show your enemies.  They're not always the same.

But sometimes they are

I don't know why some people seem to think beauty and functionality are mutually exclusive? Sometimes an object's beauty is derived from its functionality.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I love 18th century pistols. Their only purpose was to shoot someone in the gut or face, point blank. And in style....

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I’ve got that same holster.  Love it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81840/IMG_7276_jpeg-3135228.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You forgot the BHP
https://i.imgur.com/6Wqr0c8m.jpg

I’ve got that same holster.  Love it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/81840/IMG_7276_jpeg-3135228.JPG

Me too!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

My wife does too!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:20:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

About as pricey as the SIG 245 mags......and I can't find any
View Quote

Man, my P245 was a beautiful, good shooting gun.  Heavy as hell, though.  If I remember correctly, you should be able to use Sig P220C mags in the P245.  Still pricey, though.
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 3:10:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
1911 has the aesthetics of a brick.

Quoted:
My PPS, an elegant pistol in its own right

Disagree

The Walther PDP is an amazing pistol.
Shoots great. Feels great. Looks fucking awful.
The stock 1911 is like riding around in a stock 1957 Chevy Bel Air.
Looks fantastic, but performance and ride are easily eclipsed and exponentially outclassed by newer platforms that are FAR less visually appealing. A Honda Civic Si will own a 57 Fuel injected 283 3 speed all day, every day. A base model Chevy Malibu will eat a 57 Chevy all day on the street.
The PDP is like fucking a fat chick on a moped....feels good in the hand and is absolutely entertaining...but not visually appealing.

OP is right...there is a serious lack of soul in modern handgun production.
They function better than pistols of old.
But they are soulless pieces of plastic and metal.

My contribution to this thread:
2013 Sig P226 X5 Gen 1

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 3:26:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Springfield Armory, Black Stainless 1911:

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 4:24:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Theres a few current/recent production guns that are still elegant:

Wilson EDC X9

Kimber Solo

S&W 640 Pro Series

The original P99 I think looked fantastic / most elegant polymer pistol:

Dan Wesson DWX / DWX Compact look great (although I could do without Red)

Vector CP1 is the closest to the lines of the P232 in a polymer pistol:

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top