User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I read it
I stand by my comment
The justification for dumping the Humvee was the lack of protection to occupants.
I never said that they were dumping any vehicle currently in inventory to buy this thing, which...offers no protection to occupants. Probably even less than the Humvee did.
View Quote

Reading doesn't equal understanding
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

...and for the price tag of this new hotness, you could probably buy a lot more RAZRs and Kawasakis. Admittedly, you can't fit more than 4 people in one, but still...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

...and for the price tag of this new hotness, you could probably buy a lot more RAZRs and Kawasakis. Admittedly, you can't fit more than 4 people in one, but still...

You of all people should know that the bang for the buck is in being able to use less helicopters to accomplish the same goals.  How many MRAZRs can you fit in a chinook at once?

Quoted:

I read it
I stand by my comment
The justification for dumping the Humvee was the lack of protection to occupants.
I never said that they were dumping any vehicle currently in inventory to buy this thing, which...offers no protection to occupants. Probably even less than the Humvee did.

Im not sure what exactly you could fit inside a chinook that has armored protection.  Why dont you offer a solution to accompany your complaining and explain that to us?  

Or do you just recommend they scrap the entire capability this is designed around?
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/General_Dynamics_Flyer_72_GMV_1.1_%28b%29.jpg

https://www.gd-ots.com/lightweight-tactical-vehicles/the-flyer-72/

Is this about the same, just a little heavier? Seats 7-9, slingable for a UH60, internally loadable for a 47.
View Quote
I was just trying to remember what this thing was called to ask about it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I am really hoping the MPF program gets produced, rather than shitcanned again.  An M8 on a C130 seems like a nice asset to have available.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#5]
How will these do against Turkish drones?
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How will these do against Turkish drones?
View Quote

Much better than exposed troops without a generator running a CUAS system would be.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

30k miles and 12k miles.  Wow that is impressive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outstanding truck platform, I'm on my 2nd ZR2.  1st one 30k miles, no problems, 2nd one 12k miles, no problems

30k miles and 12k miles.  Wow that is impressive.

My thought as well.

I don’t hate GM, but that’s not a ringing endorsement.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Based on the Colorado zr2 huh...

I wonder how much if anything is interchangeable

https://defence-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/0-15.jpg
View Quote

No protection from the elements?
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Based on the Colorado zr2 huh...

I wonder how much if anything is interchangeable

https://defence-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/0-15.jpg

Yep.  Looks cold.  And dusty.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Considering that 1,yes ONE frame has out of all of all them has bent. And that was an idiot that jumped it WHILE pulling a trailer, that doesn't seem like much of a plague. You really need some new material if thats the best you can come up with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering the Colorado has been plagued with weak frames that fold, I don't have much optimism for this vehicle. That and the transmissions on them are garbage.

GM sucks. This was a poor decision.

Considering that 1,yes ONE frame has out of all of all them has bent. And that was an idiot that jumped it WHILE pulling a trailer, that doesn't seem like much of a plague. You really need some new material if thats the best you can come up with.

If it was as simple as "you cant jump it" there would be well over a million broken and busted trucks and jeeps driven by teenage boys all over the place for decades.  So yes one jump folding a frame is a big deal.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I got my Dad’s Colorado after he passed earlier this year
Only 2700 miles on it, but it’s paid for.  
But it is really difficult to get into and I’m only 6’ tall
They made the door ridiculously low to the floor.

At least this thing appears to have done away with that problem
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Don't any of you people read and research before opening your mouths? This vehicle is designed for the quick movement of troops to an objective that normally would have to leg it(Light Infantry, Airborne & Airmobile...etc). It's designed to be cheap, slung under a UH-60 or transported inside a CH-47. It's not going to everybody, Heavy Brigades will keep their Bradley's, Stryker Brigades their Stryker's.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/october_2019_global_defense_security_army_news_industry/u.s._army_to_test_chevrolet_colorado_zr2_based_infantry_squad_vehicle.html
https://www.armyrecognition.com/june_2020_news_defense_global_security_army_industry/us_army_awards_contract_to_gm_defense_for_initial_delivery_of_isv_infantry_squad_vehicles.html
The contract is only for 650 vehicles, that's enough to equip the above units and that's it, really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So they dump the Humvee because it doesn't offer enough protection to occupants, and roll out a glorified pickup truck that has zero protection for occupants.

That doesn't make sense

Don't any of you people read and research before opening your mouths? This vehicle is designed for the quick movement of troops to an objective that normally would have to leg it(Light Infantry, Airborne & Airmobile...etc). It's designed to be cheap, slung under a UH-60 or transported inside a CH-47. It's not going to everybody, Heavy Brigades will keep their Bradley's, Stryker Brigades their Stryker's.
https://www.armyrecognition.com/october_2019_global_defense_security_army_news_industry/u.s._army_to_test_chevrolet_colorado_zr2_based_infantry_squad_vehicle.html
https://www.armyrecognition.com/june_2020_news_defense_global_security_army_industry/us_army_awards_contract_to_gm_defense_for_initial_delivery_of_isv_infantry_squad_vehicles.html
The contract is only for 650 vehicles, that's enough to equip the above units and that's it, really.

$600 per unit.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#13]
They're great right up to the point when one gets blown up.

CNN headline:
"Ignoring lessons learned in Afghanistan and Iraq, 6 soldiers killed in controversial unarmored truck approved by Trump administration."

Because we all know the need and development for fast, light infantry transportation and inherent danger  isnt the kind of story they would run
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They're great right up to the point when one gets blown up.

CNN headline:
"Ignoring lessons learned in Afghanistan and Iraq, 6 soldiers killed in controversial unarmored truck approved by Trump administration."

Because we all know the need and development for fast, light infantry transportation and inherent danger  isnt the kind of story they would run
View Quote

Yet we've been running these exact type of vehicles for literally decades, with a few of them even getting blown up.

Thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:03:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I believe the reporter mixed up Blackhawk and Chinook.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If it was as simple as "you cant jump it" there would be well over a million broken and busted trucks and jeeps driven by teenage boys all over the place for decades.  So yes one jump folding a frame is a big deal.
View Quote

I love that you people still forget about the trailer, all these years later. The dude even included it in the sentence you only half quoted. To date we've only seen one story that you've all decided to run off with. We've also seen a Raptor do the same thing, but that story gets ignored because we all love the one idiot who decided to launch his to the moon instead.

As much as we are all laughing at the "30k miles and still reliable" guy in the thread, these things have been out and abused for a few years now and the only weak frame we've seen was this one guy. A guy who was hauling a trailer close to the limits of the truck, going down a road much faster than he should have. A story everyones seen happen before, but we all pretend that it's never happened because "lol GM".

And for the record I sold my Colorado in short order for a decent loss because of the shit emissions systems and the way the dealer handled it, so I'm not exactly a fanboy here.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, as luck would have it, I called MCOE and the one demographic of opinons that went unsolicited was the "15-20 year old thirdhand observations" category.

Some of you can expect a $25 gift card to Anthony's Pizza in the mail very shortly.  Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Does it come with a glove box full of replacement fuel pumps?
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
if it runs and gets shit and people from here to there, who cares?

does it fill a need?  does it replace something that's worse or more expensive?
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I read it
I stand by my comment
View Quote

The humvee replacement is the JLTV. This truck is for a very specialized mission set that the alternative is a smaller utz or their boots.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I read the shitty article posted in the OP.

But I'm also not so dense as to think that the "well just use it until the right equipment arrives" mentality won't prevail again. Just look at the number of vehicles of all types that were up-armored in Iraq. Supply trucks, open hummvies etc.

The reality we all know is some pencil pusher with a sweet kickbag gig designs these, they arrive to the troops and all the flaws get exposed. Next thing you know Joe bob has his welder out and suddenly the whole "sweet off road cool guy" aesthetics goes right out the window.
View Quote

Good things the JLTV is the truck that most units will have and utilize. This is a vehicle that will be available for use with a handful of units if the mission is using airlift assets. If the same unit is roling out the gate on a mounted patrol, they will use the JLTV..
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Does it come with a glove box full of replacement fuel pumps?
View Quote

No need. The Plenum will go Splodey and they will burn to the ground.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was just trying to remember what this thing was called to ask about it.  Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/General_Dynamics_Flyer_72_GMV_1.1_%28b%29.jpg

https://www.gd-ots.com/lightweight-tactical-vehicles/the-flyer-72/

Is this about the same, just a little heavier? Seats 7-9, slingable for a UH60, internally loadable for a 47.
As an honest question, how does this new truck thing differ from the "Flyer 72"/general mobility vehicle 1.1/ground mobility vehicle for its stated intent and purpose?  They seem to have the same rough weight/capacity restrictions and external dimension restrictions/same internal carriage requirements.

Was one an interim or specops only, and the other intended for "regular" airborne assault?  Did this truck supplant or depose the Flyer?

The wiki for the Flyer 72 indicates that one of the 9 crew is for a mounted MG, which seems like a common theme with many of the other unarmored troop response vehicles mentioned earlier (like the G-wagon thing mentioned above, etc.).  Unless no provision for a pintle mount is intentional to remind users that it's not for direct combat/support, but intended for dismount?
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm bored waiting on a meeting so I figured I might be able to put this into some context.

Large scale combat operations, a light infantry platoon has been tasked with pushing forward of the FLOT via helicopter insertion and seizing some key terrain necessary for armor .

Scenario 1:  The platoon arrives, gets off the bird wearing 100lb rucksacks and dragging skedcos full of mortars, Javelins, and water, which they drag the 2km offset (because A2AD/SHORAD is a thing).  Within 2 hours a Type 2 UAS has spotted them, they have no equipment to mitigate it, and a BM-21 salvo is inbound.  They drop everything and displace, including their rucks, and haul ass hoping they can make it out of the kill zone on foot.  Platoon reconsolidates and even though counter-battery fires took out the BM-21 they must bound back towards the friendly FLOT in survival mode because they took 10% casualties in the strike, they have no remaining sustainment or heavy weapons, and are exhausted.

Scenario 2: The platoon arrives, drives off the birds with loaded vehicles, drives the 2KM offset.  The truck mounted CUAS system brings down the UAS, but they were still spotted and a BM-21 salvo is inbound. They rapidly displace, with all equipment, and reconsolidate.  BM-21 gets destroyed by counter-battery fires and the platoon regains hold of the key terrain ready to continue mission with all assets intact.

You can METT-TC it all day, but the concept is that modern warfare is more than just troops marching into one another slugging it out.  Speed and displacement are key, along with the application of emerging technologies across the board, including at the infantry squad level.  The line of contact is not established through binoculars anymore, its done from space, through tiny drones, and in the electromagnetic spectrum.  Because of this large heavy formations are vulnerable until smaller, faster, and more reactive elements can pave the way. Armored formations are great, but must be tiered for mobility and speed, as they are with HBCT's, SBCT's, and IBCT's.  A smaller mobile platoon has the potential to bring more ass to the fight than a desert storm company, but it wont be on their backs.  

The MDO concept is forcing western armies to reevaluate doctrine, and it looks to be starting to lean more towards a Russian model, where instead of fires supporting maneuver, maneuver supports fires.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I bet being in a minefield in an unarmored vehicle had a high pucker factor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that but mission creep will put guys in those vehicles, into situations where it was not meant to be at some point.

Shit happens. I've been stuck in a minefield in an unarmored GMV 1.1 before too.

Problem is, whenever you decide every vehicle has to beat every contingent situation, you end up with a vehicle that also cannot execute a significant portion of your missions.  This especially relevant once you aren't engaged in a narrow spectrum like COIN.  Armor reduces mobility, which is why we have an extensively tiered line of military vehicles ranging from tanks to dirtbikes.

I bet being in a minefield in an unarmored vehicle had a high pucker factor

Fixed
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#26]
And the first time some congressman's 4th cousin gets blown up in one, they will require 1887 pounds of applique armor be added to it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As an honest question, how does this new truck thing differ from the "Flyer 72"/general mobility vehicle 1.1/ground mobility vehicle for its stated intent and purpose?  They seem to have the same rough weight/capacity restrictions and external dimension restrictions/same internal carriage requirements.

Was one an interim or specops only, and the other intended for "regular" airborne assault?  Did this truck supplant or depose the Flyer?

The wiki for the Flyer 72 indicates that one of the 9 crew is for a mounted MG, which seems like a common theme with many of the other unarmored troop response vehicles mentioned earlier (like the G-wagon thing mentioned above, etc.).  Unless no provision for a pintle mount is intentional to remind users that it's not for direct combat/support, but intended for dismount?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The GMV 1.1 was a prototype that SOF used while the program was being evaluated, one of 3 submissions.  GM won the general contract with the ISV.  SOF will continue to procure whatever they want separately.

You arent mounting MG's on that thing while it has to be loaded into a bird, but gun mounts are literally no issue to put almost anywhere.

Quoted:
And the first time some congressman's 4th cousin gets blown up in one, they will require 1887 pounds of applique armor be added to it.

No it wont.  It's supplemental to a unit's vehicle MTOE, and tailored for a specific type of mission. If they really need armored protection they will be using their JLTV's or heavier.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Damn, we have a bunch of cry baby soy boys here; bitching it does not have a hard top and HVAC. It is a damn good thing the WWII jeeps had hard tops and working AC/Heaters or we might not have won.  You soy boys might want to find a veteran of Battle of Chosin Reservoir and tell them it is impossible to fight without hard top, climate control ,tactical vehicles with quadrophonic sound.   No, don't do that, they might still have enough fight to give one final ass-whoopin.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The GMV 1.1 was a prototype that SOF used while the program was being evaluated, one of 3 submissions.  GM won the general contract with the ISV.  SOF will continue to procure whatever they want separately.

You arent mounting MG's on that thing while it has to be loaded into a bird, but gun mounts are literally no issue to put almost anywhere.
View Quote
Thanks.

Always a joy to read your posts.  If we are ever in the same AO at the same time, or if I ever get down towards Campbell again, I'll buy you a drink or a meal or something
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks.

Always a joy to read your posts.  If we are ever in the same AO at the same time, or if I ever get down towards Campbell again, I'll buy you a drink or a meal or something
View Quote

Im always down to drink and discuss unclass military nerd stuff.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks like fun in the rain Can't even get out of the rain for a moment when they're issued a vehicle..
View Quote

you're about to see a while lot of alterations with plywood and tarps
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Bring back ye olde Dodge Power Wagon and paint it desert tan my good fellow. Chop chop.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why do people by tiny pickups?

That's gayer than two boys fucking, one felching, one filming.
View Quote

Because some of us don’t have to hide our obviously repressed homosexuality behind the dashboard of a truck that is far larger than is really needed. I have had my Hilux for 20 years and it’s never caused me to consider man on man sex as much as you have in one sentence.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

you're about to see a while lot of alterations with plywood and tarps
View Quote

The 1.1 doesnt keep you much drier at 30mph.

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I n before the haters
View Quote

How much experience do you have with them?

Like, do you have a fleet of them? How many are broken down?

Hard pass for me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

How much experience do you have with them?

Like, do you have a fleet of them? How many are broken down?

Hard pass for me.
View Quote

So, you wont be buying an ISV.  Good to know.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Hop in, bitches, we’re riding.

No thanks, your vehicle sucks. I’d rather hump my shit over there.

(This is a fictional scenario that has probably never happened)
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yep.  Looks cold.  And dusty.
View Quote
Welcome to the infantry
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Well, as luck would have it, I called MCOE and the one demographic of opinons that went unsolicited was the "15-20 year old thirdhand observations" category.

Some of you can expect a $25 gift card to Anthony's Pizza in the mail very shortly.  Thank you for your service.
View Quote

I love Anthony's Pizza....
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So they dump the Humvee because it doesn't offer enough protection to occupants, and roll out a glorified pickup truck that has zero protection for occupants.

That doesn't make sense
View Quote

Weren't you in the Army?

You should be smarter than this.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like you can put a lot of motherfuckers with guns on that bitch and the can get to where they need to be with shit they need to have pretty quick.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like 82nd Airborne Division gets the first ones.  Bet they can't wait to drop them out of some airplanes.  

Am I doing the math right?  Are these things really $330k+ each?

LINKY
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Looks like 82nd Airborne Division gets the first ones.  Bet they can't wait to drop them out of some airplanes.  

Am I doing the math right?  Are these things really $330k+ each?

LINKY
View Quote

Thats the program cost divided by units. So that includes spare parts, writing manuals, training etc.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Is this scheduled for light infantry and SFers or is big army going to run then too? Guess the Corps will get the hand me downs in 2040.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Is this scheduled for light infantry and SFers or is big army going to run then too? Guess the Corps will get the hand me downs in 2040.
View Quote

Isn't light infantry.....big army? And The Corps hand-me down fallacy is worse than the surrendering French one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well the 101st and 82nd are "Big" Army so I am not sure what you mean by that.

Also the Marines haven't gotten hand me downs in 40 years can we stop the bullshit myth. Newest aircraft, Newest small arms, etc they are just as good at spending money as the rest of DOD.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Geez pour some more Dickel in your prune juice and lighten up. I'm talking rangers and didn't realize arfcom had turned PC on interservice rivalry jokes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Geez pour some more Dickel in your prune juice and lighten up. I'm talking rangers and didn't realize arfcom had turned PC on interservice rivalry jokes.
View Quote
Old dumb jokes are old and dumb, and much played out.

Rangers are light infantry, but light infantry are not Rangers. But dont ask the Rangers that, they think they sit at the right hand of CAG.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then say Rangers, there are only 5 battalions of them. Compared to the 8 brigade combat teams that are airborne or airmobile. Dont play off your ignorance as a joke, its okay to say "I dont know"
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bring back ye olde Dodge Power Wagon and paint it desert tan my good fellow. Chop chop.
View Quote

Friend of mine has an old M37 that came back from overseas.  He found an Israeli phone booth token from the late 50s/early 60s buried in dust in it.

So he repainted it in IDF 6 day war era colors.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top