BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If there were no guns, the World would be ruled by thugs. There would be no advanced technology, no private property, no economy. Women would be kept as possessions of men who could take and keep them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If there were no guns, there would be less crime.  Can I get banned for posting that statement?

If there were no guns, the World would be ruled by thugs. There would be no advanced technology, no private property, no economy. Women would be kept as possessions of men who could take and keep them.

I guess extreme sarcasm is impossible to detect in my post.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no coc compliant comment.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

As with most people here, I see a disconnect between what's right and what's legal: that's the angle I'm coming from when I say "good shoot." As for what's legal, I agree that this guy would get loved tenderly per the current narrative. That being said, it's a narrative, not fact and truth, per the current level of knowledge and where the case is at. For all we know, the gas station owner could be 100% legally justified and there's serious fuckery afoot, like what happened with the Kyle Rittenhouse prosecution.

Even from a legal perspective, you have the right to take your property back from a thief in most states (I know New Jersey is one such exception), and if the thief resists (which turns the theft into a robbery), you've got a good case for resisting a robbery with deadly force.

Police in most states do NOT have a duty to arrest, or more specifically, no legal obligation. In my home state of Ohio, police have a "duty to halt or prevent the commission of an offense or to apprehend an offender," under Ohio Revised Code Section 2921.44, but this is the exception among the fifty states and not the rule. I'm not aware of what South Carolina law says on the matter.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The site of the convenience store has now become a circus for "community activists".

WISTV reports that while the store was closed a mob broke in and vandalized the store and of course stole a bunch of merchandise.

And yeah, the Richland Co. coroner is a major Babe-alonyian.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 3:58:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That took me a moment to figure out.  
View All Quotes
I thought maybe it meant one thing, but I looked things up and I was wrong.
She is rather smokin' hot.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:08:14 AM EDT
[#6]
deleted
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:08:47 AM EDT
[#7]
It also sounds like the Chows talking to the police gave them info that is not going to help their case.
Rule #1 = STFU
Races completely aside, the chasing, the shot in the back, the "no stolen merchandise on him", the admitted "I didn't know he even had a gun until my son told me afterward", the shot away from where the "crime", if any, took place = all gonna make case nearly impossible to beat.
Maybe he was shoplifting, maybe not.   We don't know.   Dead kid didn't have any stolen merchandise on him, so that's another strike as a bad shoot.    Thieves suck, but you can't shoot someone in the back for stealing a few bucks worth of merchandise, even if he did or tried to.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 5:39:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Shooting someone because you're pissed off never is a good policy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If there were no guns, there would be less crime.  Can I get banned for posting that statement?

You got to use the sarcastic face. see

Also, never make a statement to the police, that's what attorneys are for. I am sure that's what jammed this dude up.

Don't Talk to the Police? Massad Ayoob's 5 Points after a Self-Defense Shooting. Critical Mas Ep14
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#10]
As long as robberies are on the increase these sorts of stories are going to increase.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The site of the convenience store has now become a circus for "community activists".

WISTV reports that while the store was closed a mob broke in and vandalized the store and of course stole a bunch of merchandise.

And yeah, the Richland Co. coroner is a major Babe-alonyian.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Asian owner is going to be facing a jury of the victim's peers most likely. Rule #1 is to keep insurance paid up so if the business gets burned down, his family isn't further ruined.

Apparently the shooting happened about a block away from the business, so the 'chase' was not incidental. A potential jury is not going to like he chased the kid down while he was trying to get back home.

I'm not defending the 14 y/o, but the shooter has to face reality. He's fucked. He's got to hope for a plea deal of manslaughter with 8 - 10, and hope for parole in around 5. If the jury gets ahold him, he's looking at life. If there other witnesses not yet identified, they are not going to be jumping up to help the shooter at this point if there is exculpatory info.

View Quote

If he does go to prison, it might be a tough row to hoe. Better be put in isolation.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As with most people here, I see a disconnect between what's right and what's legal: that's the angle I'm coming from when I say "good shoot." As for what's legal, I agree that this guy would get loved tenderly per the current narrative. That being said, it's a narrative, not fact and truth, per the current level of knowledge and where the case is at. For all we know, the gas station owner could be 100% legally justified and there's serious fuckery afoot, like what happened with the Kyle Rittenhouse prosecution.

Even from a legal perspective, you have the right to take your property back from a thief in most states (I know New Jersey is one such exception), and if the thief resists (which turns the theft into a robbery), you've got a good case for resisting a robbery with deadly force.

Police in most states do NOT have a duty to arrest, or more specifically, no legal obligation. In my home state of Ohio, police have a "duty to halt or prevent the commission of an offense or to apprehend an offender," under Ohio Revised Code Section 2921.44, but this is the exception among the fifty states and not the rule. I'm not aware of what South Carolina law says on the matter.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

This.  Government agents have no duty to protect you individually.  They would rather you roll over for the criminals.  I understand how a man could come to this.  It's not the value of the property, it is the crime itself.  Fuck thieves.  I find it very hard to judge someone who's getting stolen from.  And why do I doubt that there was no evidence of theft?

Also, never talk to cops.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Guy I bought coffee from every morning for years went to prison for doing something similar.  Kid came in and attempted to rob his shop, he chased the kid out with a shotgun, nailed him in the back, and then started beating his fucking head into the pavement when the kid fell and he caught up.

I still think he should have been given a medal instead of a prison sentence.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#17]
The South Carolina House Minority Leader Todd Rutherford's (D) law firm is getting involved.
He released the following:

When Cyrus Carmack-Belton’s mother sent this picture to me I had to do a double take because he looked so much like my middle son,” Rutherford said. “What happened to him wasn’t an accident: it’s something that the Black community has experienced for generations: being racially profiled, then shot down in the street like a dog. Words can’t describe the pain I feel having known this family for decades. One beacon of hope is seeing the resilience of the Black community as they wrap their arms around this family that has joined the club that no Black family ever wants to be a part of. As our firm moves forward with this case, we are working to ensure that justice prevails and work towards building a safer community for all residents of Columbia and the greater South Carolina area, regardless of race. This is why I can’t help but fight to ensure history isn’t whitewashed or forgotten. This isn’t an anomaly, but I know America can be better. And that is what we’re fighting for. Because no family should have to deal with this in 2023.
View Quote

https://wach.com/news/local/attorney-releases-statement-on-murder-of-14-year-old

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Was it Chris Rock who said, "I'm not saying it's right, but I understand..."
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looking like a bad shoot.

Richland County Coroner, on the other hand, is a hottie.

https://wach.com/resources/media2/original/full/1125/center/80/e97186e3-a6a3-4d28-89fe-66b6d9772f50-naida.jpg
View Quote
A Coroner with a stethoscope?  That's funny right there.  I don't care who you are.  That's funny.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Protesters looted and tore up the store.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Good.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

An Asian store owner runs after a black teenager and shoots him in the back, it has potential for some unrest.
View Quote

Well, we know all those Asian White Supremacists out there are a danger to blacks everywhere!
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 8:54:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

From a legal perspective, most likely not in most places in the US.

Michael Brown was inside the police car grabbing for the officer's gun when he was shot.

Police have a duty to arrest, which means they are empowered to give chase. Ordinary joes have no such duty and so they aren't allowed to chase criminals, especially ones who have not committed a violent act prior to the chase.
View Quote

He was reaching for the gun when the first two shots were fired, and he was hit in the hand. He then ran away, the cop began to chase him, he turned around and charged the cop. That's when he got shot multiple times.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Did they clean the menthols out?

RCSD fucked that up. Stevie Wonder could see that vandalism coming - should have had an officer close by. This further sends the message lawlessness is A-OK 'in the community'.
View All Quotes

Not a single pack of Newports was left behind.  And they were overrepresented on that rack anyway, due to local market demand.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lott stated after a verbal confrontation, Chow and his son chased Carmack-Belton down the street. The teen fell but got back up and ran.

Shoot him from the scene of the robbery as he retreats while still armed?
Good shoot.

Chase him down and shoot him as he tries to escape?
You better have a badge. If he's black you better have a federal badge, because no state prosecutor is going to pin his career to yours, but a United States Attorney will.
View Quote

There's some wiggle room, but yeah, it going to charges and probably further bad times once you chasing a dude.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Guy I bought coffee from every morning for years went to prison for doing something similar.  Kid came in and attempted to rob his shop, he chased the kid out with a shotgun, nailed him in the back, and then started beating his fucking head into the pavement when the kid fell and he caught up.

I still think he should have been given a medal instead of a prison sentence.
View Quote

Speaking of medals--John Kerry got a silver star for shooting a kid in the back.

The kid fired a B-40 rocket at Kerry's boat. The crew reacted by opening fire and charging the shore, beaching the boat. The bow M-60 jammed, Kerry grabbed an M16 and chased the kid (who now had an empty B-40 launcher) behind a hut and shot him in the back as he ran away,

Kerry was the boat skipper. I think he needed a beat down for leaving his boat like that, specially since the M-60 was jammed.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm local and hadn't even heard about this.  It'll be interesting to see how this goes.  Doesn't look good, not matter what the facts turn out to be.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:20:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looking like a bad shoot.

Richland County Coroner, on the other hand, is a hottie.

https://wach.com/resources/media2/original/full/1125/center/80/e97186e3-a6a3-4d28-89fe-66b6d9772f50-naida.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Regardless of the race of the parties involved, shooting someone in the back who is running away from you will make it very difficult to sell self defense to a jury.  

However if the shooting happened a short time earlier when the robber is facing the victim and threatening to kill the victim, the shooting would be much easier to justify.
View Quote

Thanks, Captain Obvious.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A lot to unpack on this but my most immediate question is what is a 14 year old doing with a gun?
View Quote

Sounds impossible, since we have laws against that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Regardless of the race of the parties involved, shooting someone in the back who is running away from you will make it very difficult to sell self defense to a jury.  

However if the shooting happened a short time earlier when the robber is facing the victim and threatening to kill the victim, the shooting would be much easier to justify.
View Quote
This is where my head is at.
I'm not saying he's guilty by any means. But if you're going to chase someone from a location and then shoot them in the back, you damn sure better have a solid reason. I hate a thief with all my heart but this one is tough to call.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Speaking of medals--John Kerry got a silver star for shooting a kid in the back.

The kid fired a B-40 rocket at Kerry's boat. The crew reacted by opening fire and charging the shore, beaching the boat. The bow M-60 jammed, Kerry grabbed an M16 and chased the kid (who now had an empty B-40 launcher) behind a hut and shot him in the back as he ran away,

Kerry was the boat skipper. I think he needed a beat down for leaving his boat like that, specially since the M-60 was jammed.

View Quote
Fuck Kerry on general principles, but I have no problem with that, the kid won't be firing any more B40s at Americans.  Probably shouldn't have left the boat but I understand him being pissed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone want to bet this store gets robbed a lot, too? Looks to me like maybe the guy snapped and became a vigilante serving murder for a previous theft, like the guy expected no consequences to his loss of livelihood so he doled out his own - grossly disproportionate and excessive punishment for the crime.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#35]
He killed an armed career thief.  We are better off.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:51:40 PM EDT
[#36]
You pick up a gun to threaten another's life, you're old enough to reap the consequences.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top