Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2024 10:40:52 AM EDT
Does anyone have a good explainer on the at least three different and incompatible styles of Glock rails (FMDA, P80, and something else), and perhaps even information on where to find dimensional drawings and how-to-make-at-home tutorials?  I've read that rails are something you CAN make at home even though most people don't want to, but I can't find anything online beyond some years-old half-completed projects.

Same for the "locking blocks", are there dimensional drawings anywhere?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 11:27:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scul] [#1]
PY2A has the files for their rails on their web site, under the "files" section.

FMDA based projects usually includes the CAD for their rails in the download, or you can download the original FMDA 1x.2 package to get the rail CAD.

Not sure about the P80 diy type.  I thought P80 you had to get their commercial rail/locking block combo
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, found 'em!
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:15:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blob] [#3]
FMDA front rails are machined so you're not going to be making them at home without a mill. They are the most common design and you will not have trouble finding frames for them. There is supposed to be a 3rd gen coming out soon if not already.

PY2A front rails are bent sheet metal and you could cut them and bend them at home if you wanted to avoid being on a list as having bought "ghost gun" parts. Frames for them are less common but they release their own on their website and they are good quality.

P80 rails are not specifically designed for 3D printing but 3D print community has adapter their designs to use them.

For the first two you will need to buy an OEM or equivalent locking block for the model you want to build. For P80 the locking block and front rail are a single piece.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 9:02:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sebastian_MacMaine] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blob:
For the first two you will need to buy an OEM or equivalent locking block for the model you want to build. For P80 the locking block and front rail are a single piece.
View Quote

Thanks.  Damn, I was hoping to be able to make everything at home, except of course for the trigger assembly and slide parts.  I haven't found a source for locking blocks other than mail-order.  Tried asking at a gun show recently and got the look.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top