User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Didn't he get a big ol' catfish? I cannot remember but did they test the radioactive-ness of the catfish? I was hoping he would catch something like the 3 eyed fish from The Simpsons.
View Quote
stunted with chromosome damage.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
GODDAMNIT COMRADE! RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK! YOU'R FUCKING UP RUSH HOUR!

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pripyat is where the good pictures are at. Street view zombie like area. If it wasn't for my dick falling off, I would love to be there running around.
View Quote
People have run around there, and not lost any body parts nor got cancer. It's on youtube, FFS.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why does every home have a wall or fence around it? Are they keeping the neighbors out? Invaders? Cossacks? Huns?
View Quote
Ever been to South America?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are only a few place, indoor areas, that are dangerous to visit.  It still would increase long term risk of cancer to live there.

No problem driving or hiking the area.

People are so uneducated about nukes and radiation.
View Quote
Dose depends on time, dose, proximity.

A lot of the short stuff should be way down it has gone through multiple half-lives.

Most of the really long stuff is not all that dangerous anyway.

Thinks like Cesium and Iodine are especially dangerous because the body needs them and they have relatively short half-lives.

Goiter is treated by giving patients radioactive Iodine to kill off some of the tissue.

I was a 'Radiation Worker' for many years.
We tested parts (electronics and even materials) at cyclotrons using both heavy ions and protons.

Never had a dosimeter register more than 'trace' despite activating a lot of parts with protons.

We used to make Co60 in the iron in part leads all the time.
IUCF has cabinets of parts sitting around 'cooling off' from testing.
27Co
?
28Ni
+ e- +
?
e + gamma rays
with a half life of 5.2714 years.

The cross section to make Fe into 60Co is very small but when you deliver mega-rads of 200 MeV protons to some iron you make some 60Co.

It does not take all that much of a HEPA mask to provide good radiation daughter protection but we still rarely used them.

Let the 20 minute (and less) half life stuff go at least on life (20 minute) and check with a Geiger counter in both modes.

If you need to measure on an 'active' part shielding works (lead brick are about 35 pounds each) and then control the equipment from another room (with a walls of lead bricks around the 'cooling room').

Every cyclotron has an area to allow targets to cool.

Always handle it at arms length and put it in the radiation shield bag as fast as you can after making sure the does rate is low enough.

ALARA  = As Low As Reasonably Achievable
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just noticed that they have street views. How the fuck did they get street views is a guy riding in the Google car crazy?
View Quote
It's safe...

After the accident they didn't close the nuke plant, the other reactors continued to run, complete with human beings working at the facility.

People in general dont understand radioactivity, half life, dose etc.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I didn't know they had rednecks in Russia. I need to go visit my brethren
View Quote
In Russia they are just called "necks"
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#9]
A worker must have been taking pictures of the sarcophagus while they were getting ready to put it over reactor 4...pretty cool picture.

From google maps...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My understanding is that people still work there, and the radiation is mostly only dangerous inside the sarcophagus. I can't grasp the nature of radiation, and I wouldn't trust anyone who told me that it was safe. Lots of people do have complete faith in science, and trust that spending eight hours a day there won't give them cancer by the time they are 40...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just noticed that they have street views. How the fuck did they get street views is a guy riding in the Google car crazy?
My understanding is that people still work there, and the radiation is mostly only dangerous inside the sarcophagus. I can't grasp the nature of radiation, and I wouldn't trust anyone who told me that it was safe. Lots of people do have complete faith in science, and trust that spending eight hours a day there won't give them cancer by the time they are 40...
Yeah...they also have a town supported by a large asbestos mine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
They doubled his daily stipend to 2 bottles of vodka.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From what I remember from one of the more in depth documentaries, there are only two "dangerous hot areas" areas in Pripyat.

Inside the sarcophagus itself, and the room in the basement of the hospital where the power plant firefighters gear was dumped on the night of the disaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LN2V4DsP0s
View Quote
Interestingly enough, they've discovered a radiotrophic fungus growing inside the sarcophagus.  It converts gamma radiation to energy via melanin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiotrophic_fungus
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Interestingly enough, they've discovered a radiotrophic fungus growing inside the sarcophagus.  It converts gamma radiation to energy via melanin

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I remember from one of the more in depth documentaries, there are only two "dangerous hot areas" areas in Pripyat.

Inside the sarcophagus itself, and the room in the basement of the hospital where the power plant firefighters gear was dumped on the night of the disaster.

Now that has potential
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Found a cool mural:

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd go. I think Prip'yat would be awesome to visit.
View Quote
Google Street view scroll to the area where they have the circus wheel. You see one guy trying to operate it and another guy standing taking a picture. I believe that some of these were using a helmet cam outside of the Google streetcar.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's a monument to the clean-up crew I presume:

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#17]
From Google street view:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File
I wanna go in here
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I seent it
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice picture
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#21]
First thing I thought of.

Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#22]
No amount of radiation can keep this guy from having some badass kicks
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How bad is the radiation now?
View Quote
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/world/article73405857.html
Reactor Number 4 today is essentially an unplanned nuclear-waste dump. To serve in that role requires it to last for 3,000 years. That means the area surrounding Chernobyl will be safe to inhabit by people again in the year 4986.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would be more worried about the asbestos all over the place in there then the radiation dose.

Quoted:
Thorium reactors are where it's at but anything with the word reactor in it scares people now thanks to massive fuck ups like those above.
Can we auto delete any posts with the words "thorium reactor" along with "EMP", please? I'm not sure which is more grating misinformation.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Still pretty high in some areas IIRC.  I'll try to find the video of Veritasium's visit.

It's from 2 years ago:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRL7o2kPqw0[/youtube]
In comparison, 1 hour in Fukukushima is about 10 microsieverts. Pripyat Hospital in the Ukraine where the Chernobyl firefighters went after the meltdown...  in one section they have 500 microsieverts - almost 30 years later.

(FYI, normal background radiation is about microsievert per hour).

So while outdoor locations are safer, there's still areas where you have to suit up before going inside.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah.  Hiking along and kick up a ton of radiation.  Sounds like fun.
View Quote
How many poisons is in a radiation?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Special High Risk Unit they use for Detroit and Flint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Special High Risk Unit they use for Detroit and Flint.
Says the guy from the armpit of America
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The pics OP posted aren't showing for me. Maybe I need to reboot... 
View Quote
theres so much radiation that the pics burned up before they made it to your screen.  You need to go farther east.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#29]
How long does the sarcophagus last, and how long will the "Elephant's foot" be deadly to humans?
Kicking the can down the road...
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#30]
IIRC other reactors at the plant still operated until a few years ago.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#31]
What is this elephant foot that you people are talking about?
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I toured the area last year. Radiation in the city of Chernobyl is lower than most would think.  I averaged around 80-100 CPM with an LND 7317 pancake tube. Background radiation around ChNPP and Pripyat is noticeably higher, but not much worse than what you'd be exposed to on a transatlantic flight.  Just walking around I saw readings from 200 to 3,500 CPM.  There's still a lot of contaminated stuff laying around, though. Moss reads around 6,000 CPM.  I had readings over 350,000 CPM from earth moving equipment used during the clean up. Some clothing in one of the hospitals also exceeded 350k.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Read This
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
A blob of solidified "corium", which flowed down into a basement room before solidifying, which somewhat resembled an elephant's foot in appearance.

Corium is the name given to agglomerated melted down core material from a nuclear reactor. In this case, its probably a combination of fuel elements, graphite/carbon, as well as various fractions of steel, concrete, and other debris it picked up on its path through the building.

Immediately after the accident, the radiation level emanating from the material was very high due to the concentration of spent fuel from the reactor core.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Current reactor design is stupid and should be scrapped. Thorium reactors are where it's at but anything with the word reactor in it scares people now thanks to massive fuck ups like those above. Unfortunately those incidents have ruined nuclear power like GM ruined diesel cars in the 80's.
View Quote
Spoken like a true internet-educated nuclear 'expert'.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ever been to South America?
View Quote
People who build high walls either have bad neighbors... or have the highest grey wolf populations.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can't be bad, Zillow says the house prices are affordable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Russian BMP in the background
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How long does the sarcophagus last
View All Quotes
Quoted:
How long does the sarcophagus last
The "New Safe Confinement" replacement shelter is in place as of last winter, although I think they are still working on sealing the ends up. There has been great concern that the hastily-constructed sarcophagus would collapse, resulting in a significant amount of radioactive material being disbursed into the atmosphere. The NSC shelter, once completed, will protect against that as well as facilitating the removal of the sarcophagus.

The NSC is quite an engineering feat.

and how long will the "Elephant's foot" be deadly to humans?
It's only hazardous to humans who make the trek down into the bowels of the ruins of the Chernobyl reactor to see it. As the radioactive material within it continues to decay, it will continue to be less and less hazardous over time, although it will still be a very radioactive object for thousands of years. At some point it might be broken up into pieces and removed, whenever they get to removing the high level fuel waste.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:09:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thanks Russia. We could have basically unlimited power by now...but you had to go fuck it up and scare American idiots.
View Quote
Yet it is safe enough for a Carrier or Submarine?  Maybe it is time to start considering those types of reactors locally?  Novel idea that would be.  Wonder why we can't do that...

Somewhere sitting in a hospital dehydrated is a man with an answer, is my guess.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's not exactly rocket science, you know.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah.  Hiking along and kick up a ton of radiation.  Sounds like fun.
thatsnothowthisworks.jpg
Actually that is how it works in some areas.  There is stuff you don't want to disturb.

Don't be a dumbass and it's mostly fine.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top