Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Monica Lewinski
View Quote

Monica did not commit carreer suicide. She just blew it!
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How could I forget Carlos Mencia and Dave Chappelle?  Plus Eddie Murphy has been reduced to being a voice actor for a jackass ....
View Quote

Eddie Murphy sounds nothing like Obama.  Has to be another voice over guy....  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Robin Williams, David Carradine.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I haven't heard of most of these people. Her I have heard of, but I don't know of any career ending incident. ???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

fiona apple

I haven't heard of most of these people. Her I have heard of, but I don't know of any career ending incident. ???

she won best new artist at the VMAs and got up on stage and told everyone the world was bullshit and people shouldn't model themselves on entertainers.

She was blackballed and only recently has started to have her name thrown around again.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What did he do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-4/michael-richards-standup.jpg

Not a musician, but he definitely committed career hari-kari onstage.

What did he do?
Didn't he pull a Mel Gibson and go on a drunken rant about the Jews or something?

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Michael Hutchence
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Robin Williams, David Carradine.

Michael Hutchence

His life was hell....no smell no taste no pussy
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Who was the actor on a cop show who "got too big for his britches" and demanded MUCH more $$ than the show would pay him so he walked, vowing to be a huge movie star instead.  Virtually nothing since.  Red haired guy, I think his partner on the show was a black guy--Hill Street Blues maybe?  Seems like his first name was David--maybe David Caruso?  It's been a while.

Edit:  Googled, yeah that's him, but it was "NYPD Blue."  He has done some stuff since, but nothing big.
View Quote

Pretty sure George Eads of CSI fame did the same thing. I think he made one movie then had to go back to CSI.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
billy squire
View Quote

That was a spectacular crash.  All because he hired a flamboyant "expert" for that one video.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#12]
three pages and not a single neva' ben dun' befor'?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
R Budd Dwyer also comes to mind...
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Nurse Jackie ....................
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I can't believe no one has mentioned Pete Rose.
View Quote

Or OJ ...................
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

IIRC she won an award on one of the awards shows. In her speech she went on to say how it's all bullshit. Being a celebrity, the awards show itself, and I think the award. She may have even trashed the fans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
fiona apple

IIRC she won an award on one of the awards shows. In her speech she went on to say how it's all bullshit. Being a celebrity, the awards show itself, and I think the award. She may have even trashed the fans.

Might hurt her rep in the industry, but from what I've seen most people who love music hate the music industry so I don't know how much that'd hurt her overall.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How could I forget Carlos Mencia and Dave Chappelle?  Plus Eddie Murphy has been reduced to being a voice actor for a jackass ....
View Quote

Didn't Chappelle just quit because he didn't like the pressure, and wanted to go live like a king with his tens or hundreds of millions of dollars?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Might hurt her rep in the industry, but from what I've seen most people who love music hate the music industry so I don't know how much that'd hurt her overall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
fiona apple

Her career tanked after her speech. I would say it ruined her career. I don't remember what show but they interviewed her a couple years ago and she regretted saying what she said.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Eric Estrada.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ellen DeGeneres.   Her show was funny until she came out.  She said the show wasn't going to be about her sexuality, and then it became all about her sexuality and stopped being funny.

She has rebounded with her new talk show, but it took a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ellen DeGeneres.   Her show was funny until she came out.  She said the show wasn't going to be about her sexuality, and then it became all about her sexuality and stopped being funny.

I disagree - her show was about to be cancelled because it just wasn't that funny.  Then she came out, and they couldn't cancel it because the network would appear to be homophobic.  So they renewed it for one season - still sucked, looked like they were going to cancel it again, then her character came out on the show. Repeat process.  I blame her for the over-representation of gay characters in the media, because she showed that accusing people of homophobia works as a weapon.

Margot Kidder pretty much self-destructed, as did Kelly McGillis.

I'm not sure that going *literally* insane was what the OP had in mind, but if it was add Cindy Williams to the list. Not sure about McGillis, other than just coming out.

McLean Stevenson torpedoed his career by leaving MASH.

The one that started it all! Of course it didn't help that the MASH producers decided to kill his character off out of spite.

Oh yeah - Denise Crosby, too.  At least she got to come back from the dead a couple of times.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Williams' problem was that she posed for some very explicit photos (including some lesbian-themed shots), which came to light when she won a Miss America crown or some such. IIRC they were exposed in Hustler, which IMO probably exposed them when she refused to pose for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Miley Cyrus if soul suicide counts

Vanessa Williams, bounced back later

Vanessa Williams? That was a blip in her career. She stormed back with a very lucrative singing and acting career.
She's in a show now. Still looking good too.

Williams' problem was that she posed for some very explicit photos (including some lesbian-themed shots), which came to light when she won a Miss America crown or some such. IIRC they were exposed in Hustler, which IMO probably exposed them when she refused to pose for them.

I believe it was Penthouse, and they published them because doing so would make them a TON of money in magazine sales.  Which it did.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Budd Dwyer.
View Quote

Boom.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Didn't Chappelle just quit because he didn't like the pressure, and wanted to go live like a king with his tens or hundreds of millions of dollars?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Chappelle got tired of the network pushing him in directions he didn't want to go. He got tired of the success and all the BS that goes with it, so he took a break and now does stand up like he wants to do.

I think his show and him are hilarious but gotta respect him for doing what he wants. Hes got enough money.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. My bad, didn't see your page ownage
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

This isn't a hypothetical.  Her career DID tank after the acceptance speech.  

She's even talked about it and said she would do it differently.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Pretty sure George Eads of CSI fame did the same thing. I think he made one movie then had to go back to CSI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who was the actor on a cop show who "got too big for his britches" and demanded MUCH more $$ than the show would pay him so he walked, vowing to be a huge movie star instead.  Virtually nothing since.  Red haired guy, I think his partner on the show was a black guy--Hill Street Blues maybe?  Seems like his first name was David--maybe David Caruso?  It's been a while.

Edit:  Googled, yeah that's him, but it was "NYPD Blue."  He has done some stuff since, but nothing big.

Caruso has been on one of those CSI Special Bullshit Squad shows for years.

Hes the star so gets good money, I'm sure.

I'm sure hes made more off of those than anything he could have made on NYPD Blue.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Chappelle made his millions and said fuck it. Though he is in the new Spike Lee flick coming out.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Kevin Debrow of Quiet Riot.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Woody Hayes

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#32]
My personal favorite was the lead singer/founder of the New Radicals.

After their big hit "You Get What You Give" he broke the band up because he didn't want to front a band that was a one-hit wonder.

It was their only hit.

Durr....

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Jane Wiedlin, quitting the GO GOs at the height of their popularity to make shitty solo albums.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Jane Wiedlin, quitting the GO GOs at the height of their popularity to make shitty solo albums.
View Quote

She redeemed herself playing Joan of Arc in Bill & Ted.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

She's my favorite GOGO, but boy did she fuck up.

Looks good in a latex corset.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Journalists.

The NFL.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Reagan Brown,Texas Agricultural Commisioner.
Catch his speech on YouTube.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
To some extent Gen Petraeus as CIA director and getting busted banging that media woman and all that. Although I'd say he already lead an amazing career but never the less, he fucked himself.
View Quote

That was a hit.  He did what many other men have done regarding the woman, and he was much less loose with intel than the Hildebeest.  That was battlespace prep for 2016.  Someone thought he would be a winning candidate.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

literally suicided... He's on Youtube, I won't post the video here.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Whitney Houston.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I disagree - her show was about to be cancelled because it just wasn't that funny.  Then she came out, and they couldn't cancel it because the network would appear to be homophobic.  So they renewed it for one season - still sucked, looked like they were going to cancel it again, then her character came out on the show. Repeat process.  I blame her for the over-representation of gay characters in the media, because she showed that accusing people of homophobia works as a weapon.

I'm not sure that going *literally* insane was what the OP had in mind, but if it was add Cindy Williams to the list. Not sure about McGillis, other than just coming out.

The one that started it all! Of course it didn't help that the MASH producers decided to kill his character off out of spite.

Oh yeah - Denise Crosby, too.  At least she got to come back from the dead a couple of times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rumor had it that Stevenson and Wayne Rogers left MASH because Alan Alda was taking creative control. Alda started putting his political left wing spin on episodes, and Stevenson and Rogers were conservative.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Rumor had it that Stevenson and Wayne Rogers left MASH because Alan Alda was taking creative control. Alda started putting his political left wing spin on episodes, and Stevenson and Rogers were conservative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure about the timing on that. I can only remember one politically themed episode from the Stevenson era.  It wouldn't surprise me though.

For that matter we ought to add Alan Alda.  After MASH he did very little, mostly because he was "All Left, All The Time."

ETA: Hell, how about Gary Burghoff?  For that matter damned near no one from that show had a good follow on career, with the possible exception of David Ogden Stiers doing a lot of Disney voice work.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Herve Villachez.
Amy Winehouse.

Also, I dunno how David Alan Grier sunk so low , but just damn.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Entertainment/images-4/michael-richards-standup.jpg

View Quote
Yeah and it was not even remotely funny

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Pepper your angus.

Ibtl

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did he do?

he screamed "N-word" on stage

https://youtu.be/BoLPLsQbdt0

<Removed slang above - Z>

Pepper your angus.

Ibtl

Well he literally did

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn Neo-Nazis stood up for the black dude.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

anthony cumia
View Quote

lol no.

He is more successful than ever, running, what is now a network of programming.

Hes making way more $$$ on subs/ads than SiruisXM ever paid him (which was ~3M/yr. IIRC). Unless you are referring to the St. Pats thing in 2001?

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone who has told the truth about racial issues for the last fifty years in a public setting.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Kurt Cobain
View Quote
That is VERY questionable, just saying.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Billy Mays was the Oxiclean guy and he died of hypertensive heart disease.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
that Oxy Clean guy and the Sham WOW guy both did.

Billy Mays was the Oxiclean guy and he died of hypertensive heart disease.

Yeah but wasn't there talk of him snorting a couple pounds of coke?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top