Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2016 7:40:55 PM EDT
Guys I need some help. My objective is to replace a dual thermostat setup with 1 Nest thermostat.

My system uses an outdoor wood boiler for primary heat, controlled by the top thermostat. The bottom tstat controls the propane furnace for backup heat, and also the central AC.
A few of the wires are self explanatory, but I'm stumped by the fact that I see 3 red wires for the R and 2 wires going into G.

First person to tell me the correct wiring gets a Pmag on me. If you give incorrect instructions you owe me a Pmag (jk).

Here's the current setup, including pics of the wiring.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here's the available connections on the Nest. 
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The arfcom HVAC guys have come through for me multiple times. 

Best of luck OP.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The arfcom HVAC guys have come through for me multiple times. 

Best of luck OP.
View Quote

Thank you. I'm sure this is child's play for a pro. 
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't help you on this one but you're gonna love that T-stat
when you get it working.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you running a heat pump or straight AC?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you running a heat pump or straight AC?
View Quote

No heat pump. Have a normal AC system. 
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a little different, do you know if the same transformer powers both stats?

So your wood burner is 1st stage heat.
Heat pump is second stage back up, and propane furnace is third stage backup?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is a little different, do you know if the same transformer powers both stats?

So your wood burner is 1st stage heat.
Heat pump is second stage back up, and propane furnace is third stage backup?
View Quote

I don't know about that the transformer. How could I find out? 

Wood is 1st stage if I have the top thermostat on. Propane is backup. I don't have a heat pump. 
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't know about that the transformer. How could I find out? 

Wood is 1st stage if I have the top thermostat on. Propane is backup. I don't have a heat pump. 
View Quote

This may not be possible with one thermostat without quite a bit of wiring outside in the units. The thermostat wire from the top stat, does the red wire come from the "R" thermal all on the bottom stat?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a shit show OP, hire a local professional.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Can we get a picture of the wires somewhat untangled and pulled out from the wall a bit?  G is for fan output, seems maybe you have some wires from each piece of equipment to turn on your indoor fan motor.

Edit: the wood boiler has a coil for hot water at the furnace or are you using hydronic floor heat?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
If all three "R"s are fed by the same transformer, no problem. If the wood burner has a separate transformer from the one controlling the gas heat, then you may have to do some reworking. I wouldn't be too worried about the two wires on "G", the second one is probably just something to do with the wood burner.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can we get a picture of the wires somewhat untangled and pulled out from the wall a bit?  G is for fan output, seems maybe you have some wires from each piece of equipment to turn on your indoor fan motor.

Edit: the wood boiler has a coil for hot water at the furnace or are you using hydronic floor heat?
View Quote

Small update. The red and white wires on the top thermostat are simply jumped to the bottom thermostat. I believe the white wire goes from G straight to the top tstat.

No using floor heat. The hot water/antifreeze circulates from the burner to the hot water tank to the furnace. I'll try to get a pic of the wires pulled out soon.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If all three "R"s are fed by the same transformer, no problem. If the wood burner has a separate transformer from the one controlling the gas heat, then you may have to do some reworking. I wouldn't be too worried about the two wires on "G", the second one is probably just something to do with the wood burner.
View Quote
Turns out the R on the top tstat is just a jumper form the bottom. Same goes for that white wire, it goes from G on bottom tstat to W on top stat.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
So all the top t'stat is doing is controlling the indoor fan while the wood burner is running.  Just to clarify, how does the wood burner turn on?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok then get rid of the top stat and wiring. Wire the same as bottom stat is laid out. Add jumper from w1 to g for the wood burner. So when stage 1 heat calls fan only turns on. Have the other wire from W on the bottom stat to w2. Everything else stays the same, remember you black wire goes to C.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Doesn't the nest walk you through with a "wizard" where it tells you what wires go where, or if it is even possible? When I installed mine I remember going through their website step by step to see if it would work with my system.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So all the top t'stat is doing is controlling the indoor fan while the wood burner is running.  Just to clarify, how does the wood burner turn on?
View Quote
Yes.The only power the burner uses is for the pump to circulate the hot 185* liquid in a loop. I add wood as needed to maintain the temp of the fluid, it burns 24/7.

It's one of these:
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ok then get rid of the top stat and wiring. Wire the same as bottom stat is laid out. Add jumper from w1 to g for the wood burner. So when stage 1 heat calls fan only turns on. Have the other wire from W on the bottom stat to w2. Everything else stays the same, remember you black wire goes to C.
View Quote

This right here,  don't really understand the second tstat unless the original ones were cheap and did. It have enough programmable days and segments to allow the single stat to control everything.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be my guess also.  The top tstat is using the red and white wires to run the fan on the unit only.  It would be set at the temperature you want the house to be normally.  The bottom tstat is wired normally, and would be set at a somewhat lower temperature to be used as a backup, so that the heat doesn't go to low in case the wood burner runs out of fuel.  

Not quite sure how you are going to run that same setup on the nest.

ETA:  From looking at the nest documentation,  the white wire from your propane backup would go on the W2/Aux terminal, much like a heat pump installation.  The Green wire would have to be jumpered from W1 to G.  that way when your tstat calls for heat, the fan would run.

You would also have to go into the Pro setup to select the options for backup heat.

Pro Setup
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think I can use a jumper with the Nest though can I?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I told my dad about that thermostat. He went off about how Google owns nest and who knows what data they're collecting from it and tracking. 
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I don't think I can use a jumper with the Nest though can I?
View Quote

If you can't fit both the g wire and your jumper from w1 in the hole you will have to pigtail with a wire nut. I'm sure you can get them both in.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I sent a picture of the wires to my old thermostat to NEST. They gave me step by step directions through and email with pictures.
If you take a picture and send it to them they will give you the correct wiring.

Does the PMAG I get come loaded or what?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Turns out the R on the top tstat is just a jumper form the bottom. Same goes for that white wire, it goes from G on bottom tstat to W on top stat.
View Quote

The boiler probably just maintains temperature, constantly pumping water through the hot water coil in your furnace. The second thermostat just turns the fan on when heat is needed. Even with the fan off, you would still get some heat probably out of the return vents. Does your house ever overheat?  
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That would be my guess also.  The top tstat is using the red and white wires to run the fan on the unit only.  It would be set at the temperature you want the house to be normally.  The bottom tstat is wired normally, and would be set at a somewhat lower temperature to be used as a backup, so that the heat doesn't go to low in case the wood burner runs out of fuel.  

Not quite sure how you are going to run that same setup on the nest.
View Quote
You described the system exactly, but in reverse. The top tstat is set to the emergency temp of 59*. If the house hits that temp the propane furnace kicks on. When using wood, the bottom tstat is used for all temp settings and controls when the fan kicks on.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:57:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I sent a picture of the wires to my old thermostat to NEST. They gave me step by step directions through and email with pictures.
If you take a picture and send it to them they will give you the correct wiring.

Does the PMAG I get come loaded or what?
View Quote
Interesting, thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Okay, this is not standard wiring, but I think you can get what you already have with the two t'stats by: 1. Get rid of the 2 conductor wire going into the top t'stat, it is no longer needed. 2. Take the one red wire remaining and hook it to Rc, and you need to hook a jumper between Rc and Rh, check the instruction manual, the Nest may have one built in. 3. Hook the green to "G", and run a jumper wire between "G" and "W1". W1 will now turn on the fan when the 1st stage of heat is calling.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You described the system exactly, but in reverse. The top tstat is set to the emergency temp of 59*. If the house hits that temp the propane furnace kicks on. When using wood, the bottom tstat is used for all temp settings and controls when the fan kicks on.
View Quote

Now this confuses me. If the top t'stat is truly hooked to "R" and "G" in the bottom t'stat, all it could do is turn on the fan when the temperature drops.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Now this confuses me. If the top t'stat is truly hooked to "R" and "G" in the bottom t'stat, all it could do is turn on the fan when the temperature drops.
View Quote
Here's a pic showing the current settings.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here's a pic showing the current settings.

http://AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/50102/File-000--1--100033.JPG
View Quote

In this instance OP you would be using propane and the hot water loop each time you called for heat. You would need to set the bottom stat to your emergency setting of 59 and the top stat to 70 to run the heat off the loop.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#31]
So u have three stages of heat.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Okay, I think I see now what's going on. The white wire from the top t'stat is hooked to "W", not "G", in the bottom t'stat. I need to rethink this this.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Hook the nest up to the t stat with the most wire and just hook the white wire from the 2 wire t stat to w2
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#34]
...Take it back to the store and exchange it for something else.

Nest is owned by Google and Google is fucking evil. 

Don't invite Google into your house.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

In this instance OP you would be using propane and the hot water loop each time you called for heat. You would need to set the bottom stat to your emergency setting of 59 and the top stat to 70 to run the heat off the loop.
View Quote
OMFG! You're absolutely correct, I just tested it. The top tstat is controlling the fan, the bottom one is controlling the propane. Wow you just saved my ass.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hook the nest up to the t stat with the most wire and just hook the white wire from the 2 wire t stat to w2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The 2nd and 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostats support up to three stages of heating and two stages of cooling for conventional systems, and two stages of heating and cooling with auxiliary heat for heat pumps. The Nest Thermostat uses its algorithms to estimate how long it will take to reach the target temperature with its Time-to-Temperature feature. It uses Time-to-Temperature to help decide when to use stages two and three of your heating and cooling system. If your first stage of heating or cooling won’t reach your desired temperature in a reasonable amount of time, the Nest Thermostat will activate additional stages of heating or cooling to ensure that you’re kept comfortable.

Taken from this link

Nest support article
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#37]
You have been given the correct answer already.

Hook up the wires like they are on the bottom thermostat and eliminate the two going to the upper thermostat with these two changes; W on the existing thermostat goes to W2 on the nest. Add a jumper on the nest from W1 to G, there will be two wires on G and one on W1.

When programming the the Nest do it as two stage heat and one stage cool.

And the one guy is right, you had your thermostats set wrong. You were turning the heat on with propane and blowing thru the hot water coil using both sources of heat. Should have had the "normal" set point on top and the emergency set point on the bottom.

I have done Nests and hot water boilers on forced air furnaces before.

Edit due to more bad info being given; W1 must be jumped to G to use the boiler heat as first stage, do not put the wire from the upper stat on W2!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:48:56 PM EDT
[#38]
If you are sure about the top t'stat controlling the fan, the following will probably will work for you, although I don't know if you can adjust the temperature differential between W1 and W2 on the Nest.

Quoted:
Okay, this is not standard wiring, but I think you can get what you already have with the two t'stats by: 1. Get rid of the 2 conductor wire going into the top t'stat, it is no longer needed. 2. Take the one red wire remaining and hook it to Rc, and you need to hook a jumper between Rc and Rh, check the instruction manual, the Nest may have one built in. 3. Hook the green to "G", and run a jumper wire between "G" and "W1". W1 will now turn on the fan when the 1st stage of heat is calling. eta:the white wire on "W" on the old bottom t'stat goes to "W2" on the Nest.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OMFG! You're absolutely correct, I just tested it. The top tstat is controlling the fan, the bottom one is controlling the propane. Wow you just saved my ass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to help OP . Remember when programming the Nest to select two stages of heat. The only time your propane should fire is if the thermostat is having a hard time ( too long) to get to temp. You may be able to set a temp deferential between both stages of heat to help with the thermostat calling for second stage. I would set it between 4-6 degrees. Just following my original post on wiring and you shouldn't have a issue. No need to ship a pmag FHRC stocked me up for life. Thanks for your service.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Glad to help OP . Remember when programming the Nest to select two stages of heat. The only time your propane should fire is if the thermostat is having a hard time ( too long) to get to temp. You may be able to set a temp deferential between both stages of heat to help with the thermostat calling for second stage. I would set it between 4-6 degrees. Just following my original post on wiring and you shouldn't have a issue. No need to ship a pmag FHRC stocked me up for life. Thanks for your service.
View Quote
Thank you very much sir. And thanks to everyone else as well. My wife is going to be mighty impressed with me. 
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#41]
RESULTS

I was unable to put in a jumper from G to W1 because only 1 wire fits in each hole. What I did instead was install the green wire directly into W1.
Everything works perfectly, primary uses the fan/wood and secondary uses propane.

Now - I assume this will not be ideal when it's time to use the AC? Do I need a pro to correct my bubba fix?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#42]
It will not work for air conditioning like that. If you have to, wire nut the G wires together. Did you put w1 and w2 as I said? You were wasting a shitload of money.

Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#43]
A short pigtail hooked to G, another short pigtail hooked to W1, the free ends of these two wirenutted to the green wire. I like the Ideal orange wirenuts for control wiring, whatever works for you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#44]
You wouldn't need the jumper if you set the thermostat up as heat pump with gas backup with nothing hooked up to the reversing valve terminal. In that setup first stage heat would energize only the fan. Second would energize the gas backup. Just kick the breaker on the ac in wintertime.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Have you considered labeling that? For heat and what temp to set if you're not home when something happens?
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Discard 2wires from top thermostat. Red wire goes to R. Yellow goes to Y, Black goes to C, Green goes to G, White goes to *. Set system to electric heat this will cause fan to
cycle on with a call for heat. White wire is heating wire for propane heat and this will be your emergency/auxiliary  heat set to 59 degrees. Not programmable. Etc. Follow all other set up procedures
per nest. Test system.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Discard 2wires from top thermostat. Red wire goes to R. Yellow goes to Y, Black goes to C, Green goes to G, White goes to *. Set system to electric heat this will cause fan to
cycle on with a call for heat. White wire is heating wire for propane heat and this will be your emergency/auxiliary  heat set to 59 degrees. Not programmable. Etc. Follow all other set up procedures
per nest. Test system.
View Quote
I'm going to try that when I get home. 
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Tag, this is relevant to my interests
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
per nest. Test system.
View Quote
This doesn't work, the wire going into * only gives the option to set as a dehumidifier or humidifier, no heat option. 

The configuration previously mentioned of green to W1 and propane to W2 works like a charm. Before cooling season arrives I'll figure out how to put a jumper from W1 to G.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looks like a shit show OP, hire a local professional.
View Quote

This.  I tried myself once.  Even make each wire with the code from the old thermostat.   Messed with it for 2 days.  Hired a local company for $90.  Had it done in less than an hour
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top