Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hear that the Russian copy was a sweet ride.

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU. I SAID THE RUSSIAN ONE WAS NICE.
View Quote

Are any of the Soviet copies even flying?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:17:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
At this stage in my life, I would sit down with Fitz and convince him to write an autobiography about his career in aviation.  But he passed awhile back.  He used to tell me some interesting stories.  He flew around 250 airframes over his career.  Chief test pilot on the Valkyrie, worked the Oxcart program with CIA, and Captained the 747 that used to carry the space shuttle before it was landed in FL.  He has the record for highest altitude with greatest payload, too.  He flew about everything from the Cessna 150 to the C5; a true aviation pioneer.  He is missed.
View Quote

Damn, I would have been the first (maybe second to you) to buy that book...
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Haven't flown:

1) But I got to enter one while it was on the Tarmac at Heathrow
2) And the Brit Air fleet captain gave me a signed certificate stating I flew on one.
View Quote

Lol, that's awesome.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I think BA or AF flew them out of Dulles for a brief period in the 1970s. If I’m traveling overseas I usually try to get a direct flight from there. Would be awesome to have the theoretical option to fly to Europe in 3 hours from Dulles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Flying into Heathrow back in ‘97 I remember seeing a bunch parked in the ramp.  

Makes me wonder if supersonic passenger travel is a concept that’s now been abandoned.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#6]
We were flying a group of 2 Long-EZ's down the south coast of Long Island to continue down the coast.

NY ATC says traffic 9:00 5 miles. Then he adds by the way it's the Concord.

The second Long-EZ responds "We will slow down and let him pass!"

Did not have a camera but against a beautiful clear blue sky with the nose down the Concord crossed out in front of us on his way into Kennedy.

And for all you naysayers - Yes we knew all the rules of TCA's back at that time (mid 80's) and obeyed them.

For some reason Kennedy Approach was always very accommodating to me in a Long-EZ and would often give us passage straight thru. That was not the case if you were flying a Spam Can.

Back then the Concord would be on it's way into Kennedy most mornings around 8:00.

For years there were reports of early morning booms. Someone finally figured out it was the Concord slowing down out over the ocean while coming in headed for Kennedy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What was the service like? Were you treated differently than flying on a 747? Was there room under the seats for a carry-on? How was the acceleration during take-off, was it noticeable?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yep, super small pax windows due to alt/pressure settings.

Just another ride in the back.

Did get a candle holder as a "free" gift!

What was the service like? Were you treated differently than flying on a 747? Was there room under the seats for a carry-on? How was the acceleration during take-off, was it noticeable?

Well, they did have a better wine selection! Meal was just industrial food like everywhere else, served on better china.

Only had a briefcase for carry-on and I stuck it under the seat next to me since the a/c was only half loaded and that seat was empty.

Take-off and landing were not remarkable as best as I can recall. I was in aviation and had ridden in a LOT of aircraft at the time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Was sitting in line on a flight to somewhere waiting to take off at JFK and one took off.

Fucker was deafening, even inside another commercial aircraft.

Have a QSL letter from British Airways from intercepting their comms with ATC.

They went by "Speedbird".
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It was very cool but definitely cramped.
View Quote

That was definitely my take on it. My family took it one time NY->UK when I was a child. Main detail I remember was it was cramped/narrow.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#10]
There is the one at the intrepid.  Got to sit on it.  Reminded me of 2x2 Rj  jet seats.   But very cool you could get in and sit in seats.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Walked through the one in the Scottish museum in East Lothian

May have been a good idea in terms of the speed, etc. but it was like the inside of a normal plane, shrunk by 50%
TINY seats, etc - and I mean really tiny - no way could one of the normal big-boned commuters fit in one, possibly not even into two

Saw an interesting documentary a while ago about how the fleet was initially mismanaged and was a huge loss, until someone had a couple of good ideas and it became a massive earner for BA
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Walked through the one in the Scottish museum in East Lothian

May have been a good idea in terms of the speed, etc. but it was like the inside of a normal plane, shrunk by 50%
TINY seats, etc - and I mean really tiny - no way could one of the normal big-boned commuters fit in one, possibly not even into two

Saw an interesting documentary a while ago about how the fleet was initially mismanaged and was a huge loss, until someone had a couple of good ideas and it became a massive earner for BA
View Quote
Example of big-boned commuter.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Yup. Oshkosh, 1990.  

I was there with the F-117 (first time at OSH) and we were parked basically nose-to-nose with Concorde.  They were selling rides each day.  About an hour, IIRC.  Climb out, blast over Lake Michigan, come back and land.  Talked to the Capt at the rope, and he said if he had any extra seats on one of the flights he'd come and get me.  He did, and fellow -117 pilot and I got a free ride.  Plush seats, narrow interior.  Think luxury sports car.  Big push from the 'burners ("Reheat") on t/o, ridiculous deck angle on climb-out ("Stews" were pushing the drink/food cart uphill like miners shoving an ore cart), champagne and hors d'oeuvres.  Bunch of nicely dressed people who paid a fair amount of change to ride, and two free-loading guys in flights suits.  Passengers all got to visit the cockpit during the flight. You had to practically turn sideways to get past the galley.

At the end, we got a goodie bag full of Concorde stuff, and a certificate signed by the captain.  Deck of cards, model Concorde, some other stuff.  The thing I liked best was a set of Concorde luggage tags.  I had those damn things stuck on my luggage for 10 years. I think they finally rotted off. ("Oh!  Is my Concorde bag tag still on there?  Silly me.")

By the way, they get all pissy when you say "The Concorde."  It's just "Concorde."
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Back in the early 90s when I flew for TWA.  JFK to LHR.  I was able to use a ID90 pass which cut the cost to around $500.  It has a very small cabin and as someone already mentioned somewhat noisy.   The service was excellent even in coach.  It was a trip I will always remember.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Saw the one that landed and took off at the ANC airport way back when.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been on a Concord but never flown on one.  I was surprised how narrow the plane really is.  

View Quote

I’ve never seen one in real life but I heard the same thing, they are deceptively cramped on the interior which I found odd
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been inside the one at LaBorget airport in Paris.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I did some reading on them.

It was incredibly loud inside. Hot, cramped.
Probably not as safe as a 737, but the only accident it ever had was not the fault of the plane.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think there is one on the carrier museum in NYC.

Agree that it was super cramped inside.
View Quote

I took the tour in 2015, you have to pay extra for that.  Love the Concorde though.  It was small but I would deal with it.  That particular aircraft set the record from Paris to NY I think.  From what I remember it was a strange tailwind heading west, made it in less than 3 hours terminal to terminal.  Its been and minute since I took the tour and I have died since then so take my memory with a grain of salt....
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Never flew in one, or even been inside one, but used some of its design aspects in day do day work on another program.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:29:04 AM EDT
[#21]
A friend of mine from the UK got his pilot's license years ago and his instructor was a retired Concorde Captain.  him and another BA Captain come over for the Reno Air Races every year to hang out with my friend and look around the USA a bit.  Really neat guy to talk to,  has some great stories.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks like some companies are working on new SSTs. Don't know how feasible they'll be.

HERE
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#23]
My mom did. I have some photos of it, somewhere.

She said it was noisy as hell, that's all I remember.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#24]
I was in Paris the day it crashed. Missed seeing it by a half an hour.

Toured the one at the Interpid museum in NYC a couple years ago. Like everyone else has said, it's very cramped.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#25]
One dropped in at Keflavik.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Was sitting in line on a flight to somewhere waiting to take off at JFK and one took off.

Fucker was deafening, even inside another commercial aircraft.

Have a QSL letter from British Airways from intercepting their comms with ATC.

They went by "Speedbird".
View Quote

The BA planes at DFW are speedbirds also.

I'm surprised fedex or ups didn't buy up the Concordes. When it absolutely has to get there yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Back when the world actually valued being exceptional, instead of just "making sure no one can be exceptional, because that isn't fair".

End of an era.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The BA planes at DFW are speedbirds also.

I'm surprised fedex or ups didn't buy up the Concordes. When it absolutely has to get there yesterday.
View Quote

One would make a brilliant option for an occasional AIR FORCE ONE too - minimal minions on board - just the folk that matter and some chilled champagne, etc.
Have all the lackeys follow behind in military CAS birds of whatever type can keep up & have a "coach class" option, plus serves warm Coke and cold tea
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

One would make a brilliant option for an occasional AIR FORCE ONE too - minimal minions on board - just the folk that matter and some chilled champagne, etc.
Have all the lackeys follow behind in military CAS birds of whatever type can keep up & have a "coach class" option, plus serves warm Coke and cold tea
View Quote
Stale peanut butter on broken crackers?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Passenger, was gonna take off, zip up to some altitude, zoom around and come back down.  I don't even remember if it was going to go supersonic - I think so, but not hit top speed.  Was a stupid amount of money that I didn't really have back in the early 90s and back then I thought "Nah, someday I'll actually take a trip in it".  Wrong was I.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Passed on a chance to pay $350(?) for a 15-minute ride in one at an airshow.

One of my big regrets

Yeah, I could see that regret. Cockpit seat, or passenger? I am curious at the cockpit view during take off and the nose moving in the up position.

Passenger, was gonna take off, zip up to some altitude, zoom around and come back down.  I don't even remember if it was going to go supersonic - I think so, but not hit top speed.  Was a stupid amount of money that I didn't really have back in the early 90s and back then I thought "Nah, someday I'll actually take a trip in it".  Wrong was I.  

Ironically, those short hops for enthusiasts were the only flights that made a profit for them. They also had stuff like day trips from London to see the Giza Pyramids. For the actual transatlantic flights, I read somewhere that British and French government employees were allowed to fly Concorde just to put bodies in the seats.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We were flying a group of 2 Long-EZ's down the south coast of Long Island to continue down the coast.

NY ATC says traffic 9:00 5 miles. Then he adds by the way it's the Concord.

The second Long-EZ responds "We will slow down and let him pass!"

Did not have a camera but against a beautiful clear blue sky with the nose down the Concord crossed out in front of us on his way into Kennedy.

And for all you naysayers - Yes we knew all the rules of TCA's back at that time (mid 80's) and obeyed them.

For some reason Kennedy Approach was always very accommodating to me in a Long-EZ and would often give us passage straight thru. That was not the case if you were flying a Spam Can.

Back then the Concord would be on it's way into Kennedy most mornings around 8:00.

For years there were reports of early morning booms. Someone finally figured out it was the Concord slowing down out over the ocean while coming in headed for Kennedy.
View Quote

I went to paramedic school in Nassau County which is east of Queens. Class was from 0800-1200. As I was walking into class every Thursday morning around 0750 or so the Concorde would fly overhead on its way to JFK. Beautiful bird.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Saw it in the late 80's up in Seattle.  We were at the south end of Boeing Field and it took off heading north.

Loudest noise I've ever experienced.  I felt in in my lungs.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I saw a few on the ramp at Heathrow in June 1984. Closest I ever got.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:

Yep...and my X wife had all these stupid nick nacks lined up on shelves back then...

https://i.imgur.com/s0o4MP1.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Had a chance to many years ago at a Texas airshow. They took people out over the Gulf and went supersonic for a brief time, then returned.

It was $600 a pop, so it was more than I wanted to pay for three of us. It was neat watching it take off and land. The photo passes were extremely cool.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
At this stage in my life, I would sit down with Fitz and convince him to write an autobiography about his career in aviation.  But he passed awhile back.  He used to tell me some interesting stories.  He flew around 250 airframes over his career.  Chief test pilot on the Valkyrie, worked the Oxcart program with CIA, and Captained the 747 that used to carry the space shuttle before it was landed in FL.  He has the record for highest altitude with greatest payload, too.  He flew about everything from the Cessna 150 to the C5; a true aviation pioneer.  He is missed.
View Quote

If that's who I think he is, he's one of the few pilots to ever purposely crash an aircraft:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Impact_Demonstration
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By unknowable:

What was the service like? Were you treated differently than flying on a 747? Was there room under the seats for a carry-on? How was the acceleration during take-off, was it noticeable?
View Quote

Yes, US to UK maybe two times with my SO, trying to remember, it was smallish in the cabin vs. modern planes, windows got warm, stewardesses were attractive and nice, Mach meter in the cabin, was expecting better food, curvature of Earth was apparent.

Cost was less than twice the normal ticket, IIRC, fellow travelers weren't the flip-flop type.

Acceleration IIRC was noticeable, more like some high performance planes I've owned.

Can't remember the seats, but I would have had a carry on and don't remember any issue.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#38]

What was the service like? Were you treated differently than flying on a 747? Was there room under the seats for a carry-on? How was the acceleration during take-off, was it noticeable?
View Quote

You can't really just say how does the service compare to a 747.  Too many variables.  The Concorde was all first class, a 747 configured for overseas travel has three classes, coach, business, and first class.  And besides that it would depend on which airline, which route, etc.  Some of the 747s in the far east are used like we use a 737, short hops with the maximum number of passengers.  Pretty much no frills.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By dbrowne1:
One of my favorite ads, ever. Love the Concorde sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4JdQi60an0
View Quote

Awesome, thanks for posting that!
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Yes, US to UK maybe two times with my SO, trying to remember, it was smallish in the cabin vs. modern planes, windows got warm, stewardesses were attractive and nice, Mach meter in the cabin, was expecting better food, curvature of Earth was apparent.

Cost was less than twice the normal ticket, IIRC, fellow travelers weren't the flip-flop type.

Acceleration IIRC was noticeable, more like some high performance planes I've owned.

Can't remember the seats, but I would have had a carry on and don't remember any issue.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

Yes, US to UK maybe two times with my SO, trying to remember, it was smallish in the cabin vs. modern planes, windows got warm, stewardesses were attractive and nice, Mach meter in the cabin, was expecting better food, curvature of Earth was apparent.

Cost was less than twice the normal ticket, IIRC, fellow travelers weren't the flip-flop type.

Acceleration IIRC was noticeable, more like some high performance planes I've owned.

Can't remember the seats, but I would have had a carry on and don't remember any issue.

Twice the cost of a coach seat, or twice the cost of First Class? If the former, that would have been a huge steal!

You hear anecdotal stories where people would get bumped off a 747 and get offered a seat on Concorde. They’re still telling the stories 30 years later.

Adjusted for inflation, RT on Concorde would cost around $20k if it was still around.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Ege:

Twice the cost of a coach seat, or twice the cost of First Class? If the former, that would have been a huge steal!

You hear anecdotal stories where people would get bumped off a 747 and get offered a seat on Concorde. They’re still telling the stories 30 years later.

Adjusted for inflation, RT on Concorde would cost around $20k if it was still around.
View Quote

Don't remember, my secretary made the arrangements, was in the 80's, but probably first class fare.

I'm rather conservative and economical, and flew it for the experience and reduction in travel time.

We usually took regular flights in business class.

It was impressive, but I wouldn't spend the $$ routinely.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:
Random fact most of you guys know but some guys won't. 

The lines of the plane for supersonic flight made it awful to see out of. That's the why the nose pivots, otherwise it would be really difficult to see the runway. 

Taxi mode:

https://images2.minutemediacdn.com/image/upload/c_crop,h_843,w_1500,x_0,y_64/f_auto,q_auto,w_1100/v1554997766/shape/mentalfloss/506612-gettyimages-165339067.jpg

Mach 2 mode: 

https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/concorde.jpeg
View Quote

Actually it has 4 different configurations.

The 1st photo you posted is "landing" and the 2nd is "subsonic flight".

There other two options are "takeoff" and "supersonic flight".

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Not flown but was working airside at LHR in the late 80s or early 90s and had a walk around it on the tarmac.

And sat in the cockpit having my packed lunch.

A young Irishman with no vetting managed that during a terrorist campaign with so called security alerts in force
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pic of supersonic to compare?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:34:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How much more was a ticket for the Concord compared to peasant travel?
View Quote
I looked in the late 90s and they ran around $30k each way.  I agree the cabin is real cramped, seats are very narrow, but it was an awesome technological feat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Him:
Pic of supersonic to compare?
View Quote

Supersonic flight:
Attachment Attached File

Subsonic flight:
Attachment Attached File

Takeoff:
Attachment Attached File

Landing and Taxi:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks man! I thought it was just two!
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Always wondered what it would be like to be in something like a hot air balloon and be able to have a Blackbird come by at top speed, at some distance of course. Could you even see it? Would it just look like a black blur? Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Always wondered what it would be like to be in something like a hot air balloon and be able to have a Blackbird come by at top speed, at some distance of course. Could you even see it? Would it just look like a black blur? Inquiring minds want to know.
View Quote
Plenty of Navy videos online as they buzz ships going supersonic.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#50]
My mom's folks did a bunch. My mom was going to school over in England.

Grandpa was an anesthesiologist and could afford to go see my mom and her boyfriend, soon to be husband, soon to be my pops.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top