Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2021 12:06:20 AM EDT
In general, canned chili may or may not be a step above canned dog food.  But it is nice to have as emergency rations - like the it is 2am and I have the munchies type of emergency - or the fuck power has been out for 3 days emergency.  I had a can for lunch today, it actually tasted like it had chili peppers in it...  Or maybe that was the colby jack I added...

So is their any canned chili that is better than the run of the mill hot dog sauce?
---
fwiw, I am being fucking lazy.  I used to keep premeasured servings of my chili in the freezer.  I really need to make up a full pot and freeze some.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:15:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If you absolutely must do canned chili, Wolf lean no beans is the way to go
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:19:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Im a big fan of nalley. Beef (no pork) and beans.

There's no canned chili out there that can do the no beans chili correctly BTW
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I do not like wolff.

Nalleys or Staggs ftw.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Nobody here likes canned chili. You have to slow cook it for 4 days with stuff that took you 4 weeks to buy. And then you have to plan out cooking it for a week. And even then it will be wrong.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#5]
While I will admit that a slow simmer will make the best chili - I can generally do a decent imitation in 3hrs if I use a pressure cooker.  30 minutes to an hr in the pressure cooker, then another 1 or 2 simmering to reduce.  Ok 4hrs, because prep does take a bit to make diy chili paste, cube the meat, and brown it properly...

I happened to have a can of wolf within reach.  30 fucking grams of carbs...  I guess they use a shitload of thickener in it.  Honestly, my chili probably has too many carbs - but the only carbs in it are the chilies and an onion.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer the Yankee canned chili.
Wolf is too bitter. Edible, but barely.

Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to love Wolf when I was younger and wanted chili after a late night.

They moved production of it and the quality went to absolute shit though. Now it’s an orange paste with the consistency of shit out Taco Bell ground beef. Wolf sucks hard now.

Making chili is easy. Wish I had started making it earlier in life. If I had to eat it out of a can, it’d be Campbell’s.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:47:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I think I have tried Stagg and liked it.  Next question - what grocery store actually carries a decent variety any more.  Seems like HEB is going primarily to store brands, my local stores are stocked about as good as a Dollar General...  Walmart is definitely not a great place for fine food...  I guess I need to go to a city and find a Randals or something.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:01:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Stagg and Campbell's are two that stick in my mind for some reason.  I must have eaten them and not hated them.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:02:47 AM EDT
[#10]
HEB No Beans Chili in a can is good stuff.......................
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:04:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Wolf Angus All Beef.  Too much shit has textured soy protein added - F that.  It's not the be all, end all, but it's better than most.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:10:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I will admit that a slow simmer will make the best chili - I can generally do a decent imitation in 3hrs if I use a pressure cooker.  30 minutes to an hr in the pressure cooker, then another 1 or 2 simmering to reduce.  Ok 4hrs, because prep does take a bit to make diy chili paste, cube the meat, and brown it properly...

I happened to have a can of wolf within reach.  30 fucking grams of carbs...  I guess they use a shitload of thickener in it.  Honestly, my chili probably has too many carbs - but the only carbs in it are the chilies and an onion.
View Quote

There's soy protein in it.  My mom used that soy shit in hotpot...I saw it one time and I freaking gagged.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:17:35 AM EDT
[#13]
The can of wolf at hand mentions soy, but oats are far higher on the list of ingredients.  Who the blue fuck puts oats in chili.  Putting spinach in it makes more sense - at least that is not empty calories.  And yes, I have done that in the past, when I realized my diet was containing no green stuff.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:30:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Dennison’s chili no beans is great for chili cheese dogs.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:34:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:43:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Hormel is what I buy for canned chili. I eat it for lunch when theres no leftovers to take to work.
I ain't looking for a gourmet meal, just something to fill the void.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:58:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I brought this very same question up on the FAL FILES years ago.

After being beaten repeatedly with a rolled up newspaper *STAGG* (iirc) was the clear winner.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 2:06:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I brought this very same question up on the FAL FILES years ago.

After being beaten repeatedly with a rolled up newspaper *STAGG* (iirc) was the clear winner.

YMMV.
View Quote

Not an all-beef chili, but they do have it with no frickin' beans in it and that's important to me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 2:09:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Meh....  I'm still a big fan of Hormel Chili - beans or no beans.  I'm ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 2:14:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 2:24:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 2:31:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Gold Star
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 2:54:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#24]
If you go to the costco business center, they have #10 cans for a very good price. We just end up freezing most of it. Compared to most canned chili, and canned food in general, it was pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Skyline

Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Canned chili has it's place.

Emergency food.

Camping food.

Hot dog topping.

I buy whatever brand is on sale.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nobody here likes canned chili. You have to slow cook it for 4 days with stuff that took you 4 weeks to buy. And then you have to plan out cooking it for a week. And even then it will be wrong.
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#28]
The Laura Lynn store brand from Ingles is pretty good for the price.  They have it with or without beans for whichever side you're on. I have some in the pantry as it is much better than starving, or eating Chef Boyardee ravioli.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Processed food manufacturers.

They add all kinds of bullshit that doesn't belong in chili (or any other imitation food-product they're trying to re-create for people who can't be bothered to cook). Wheat, soy, sugar, various hyper-refined starches...the list in "chili" is endless. And then there's the matter of the meat itself, which is usually ground, and never from a cut you'd have chosen yourself. It's always a shitshow.

They'll all make a turd, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The can of wolf at hand mentions soy, but oats are far higher on the list of ingredients.  Who the blue fuck puts oats in chili.  Putting spinach in it makes more sense - at least that is not empty calories.  And yes, I have done that in the past, when I realized my diet was containing no green stuff.

Processed food manufacturers.

They add all kinds of bullshit that doesn't belong in chili (or any other imitation food-product they're trying to re-create for people who can't be bothered to cook). Wheat, soy, sugar, various hyper-refined starches...the list in "chili" is endless. And then there's the matter of the meat itself, which is usually ground, and never from a cut you'd have chosen yourself. It's always a shitshow.

They'll all make a turd, though.

I don't even want to know what's in the Hormel corned beef hash that I absolutely love.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't even want to know what's in the Hormel corned beef hash that I absolutely love.
View Quote

1.  Corned beef.
2.  Hash.

What's not to love?  
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Hormel Hot with beans is the only canned chili I will eat after trying damn near all of the brands in college
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Stagg is good. Unfortunately no stores around here carry it anymore, and its expensive as fuck on Amazon.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

A metric fuck ton of salt.

Fry crispy, put in tortilla with sour cream, cheese, and hot sauce. great hangover food.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Whatever brand Aldi carries. It's only $0.89/can so I can stack it deep.
If I'm in a situation where I'm eating canned chili for sustenance, taste is going to be the last thing I'm worried about
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Heritic thread - best canned chili...

What does heritic mean?
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Wolf's hot no beans

It has only two uses for me: hot dogs and "bachelor chow" (box Velveeta mac and cheese, can of the aforementioned wolf's, a slice of pepperjack, and some bacon bits for texture)
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Steakhouse Chili at Costco.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Stagg steakhouse reserve is the best I've had for canned chili
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#39]
If the power is out, and no gas for genny, you'd be thawing out freezer ground beef and eating it over a fire. Between the meat and fire is a dutchoven/pot, something to put the beans in with the meat.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Campbell's Chunky hot & spicy is ok, I've had all the others.

Basically canned chili is canned chili, no real surprise.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Campbell's Chunky hot & spicy is ok, I've had all the others.

Basically canned chili is canned chili, no real surprise.
View Quote
Stagg is OK. Wolf is OK.

Nalley's is sourced in India, no fucking way would I touch that shit.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Campbell's Chunky Chili is my favorite of the several brands I have tried.  Comes with both beans (my preferred) and without beans for you heathens. The regular is spicy enough for me.  I don't think I could eat the spicy one.  Hormel is worse than dog food.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I did a duck duck go image search and this thread came up

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Best-canned-hot-dog-chili-please-/5-2055626/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top