BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Both Vaughan and Estwing are great hammers but pricey. Last I heard Vaughan always still made in the US but not sure about Estwing.
View Quote

All of mine are:
Vaughan framing hammer
Estwing claw hammer
Estwing dead blow hammer
Estwing rubber mallet
Estwing soft face hammer
I've beaten the crap out of them...literally...and they still get the job done.

But pricey? I don't think so.

And after checking the HD site, there are no Estwing hammers, or any kind, to be found. They only have 1 Vaughan hammer. But something I didn't know they had...Stiletto hammers. Now THOSE are expensive hammers. Cheapest one is $84.99; most expensive is $199. I don' think I paid $200 for all of my Estwing hammers and my Vaughan hammer combined.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Shop at Lowes
Home Depot is for woke democrats

View Quote

Not around here, sir.... You want to check out some soccer moms head to Lowes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:37:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They have started going downhill.

That said they are still a LOT better than Lowe's. And Lowe's is light-years ahead of Menards.
View Quote
I'm sooooo thankful that I have a local lumber yard/builders home center near me.
No searching endlessly to find what you're looking for, just walk in and give a list to the counter guys and they make it all appear out of thin air.
Top quality brands too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@FDC

Pics of Gladiator
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You kind of have to get lucky to find HD clearance stuff as they stack it all over the place.

Got these for $8.03 each a couple days ago and they were up front mixed in with the Milwaukee gloves and hats.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99516/IMG_1779_jpg-2686561.JPG
@FDC

Pics of Gladiator

Zero clue what you're talking about.

It will be pushed into a half ton 'ram'.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shop at Lowes
Home Depot is for woke democrats

The HD here has better looking employees.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:38:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Estwings just plain work, I've tried numerous handles and materials, after a day or two my forearm just won't cooperate anymore. Estwing, a week at best.

Stanley lost me when they gave up the lever lock, they are are not perfect because of the tension and if you put them down too hard. But they are great for layout, I still have a few.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#7]
China Depot.

If you are debating over a $30 high quality made in USA vs a $20 made in China junk with a brand name slapped on it you have issues.

Been there and done that. Bought a bunch of bargain junk only to pay the price and end up buying the good stuff later.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm a Stanley fat max 16' guy. Use a tape measure every day I work.
I had a few of Dewalts 16' version of the fat max and I have to be honest they held up pretty well
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This reminds of when Lowes stopped selling Stanley tape measures. The clerk said the Craftsman and Dewalt tape measures were just as good.  I was nice enough to inform them that they were wrong about that.
I'm a Stanley fat max 16' guy. Use a tape measure every day I work.
I had a few of Dewalts 16' version of the fat max and I have to be honest they held up pretty well

I’m a sheet metal worker, I burn thru about 3-5 tapes a year. Fat max are my preference but I only buy them on sale, Komelon tapes are decent as well as some of the Masterforce from Menards. Milwaukee tapes are HORRIBLE, they make those things for sparkies not construction workers, they are notorious for splitting on the edges.

Also Estwing makes  best Tinners hammer
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
WTF?

Who the hell at HD decided that dropping Estwing was a good idea?!?

I mean, seriously?  While we all have our preferences, anyone in the trades will admit that Estwing is a legit top tier smashy/ choppy tool manufacturer.  You’d think a company that says “how doers get things done” wouldn't cancel one of the primary tool companies that facilitate that.  

Or not.  Their “pro desks” and the inept, lazy zombies that man them, suck balls.  

Only thing they’re good for is having all the punch out shit you may need under one roof.

Oh, and re: tape measures.  After my last all metal Powerlock went to the great toolbox in the sky, I switched to a wide blade magnetic end Milwaukee and couldn’t be happier.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Framer's and roofing hatchets too.
View Quote

Wanted to get a stacked leather handled hatchet.

I keep a 22oz extended shank waffle head next to bed as well!
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:11:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have only ever used Estwing geological hammers for Dino hunting. Only time I needed to replace them is when I lost them, never from wear or damage
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
FHD
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I like using Pony clamps.  Good luck finding one at a big box store.  They had less margin and were dropped at all of them.  That said, I have not used an imitation that I have not felt was inferior - most would slip.  If I had more shop space, I would probably buy more - not sure how many I have now, but when clamping down a box - you really can not have too many.  I also keep spare pipes on hand to adjust the size of the clamp I am using to what is necessary for the job.

I also have a decent assortment of Estwing.  Abet I am sure there are other tools that can do the jobs as well - but I have not wasted the time to find out.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#14]

I've had mine for close to 20 yrs and I found it in the middle of the road.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#15]
When I first started framing, I got an Estwing because it was what everyone had. When I lost all feeling in my fingers, I went to the doctor, who told me to switch to a wood handle, which I did and got all the feeling back in my fingers. I have never looked back. I also just love the feel of a good wood handle over plastic.

I do own a few and use them for demo and whatnot, but not if I am banging nails for any period of time.

I did just pick up an Estwing mini splitting maul, which I am in love with.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a similar one as well, with a waffle face, nearly smashed flat. It was my hammer when I did construction in the mid 90s. When I left to go to med school, they all offered to buy my tools. After all, "you'll be a rich doctor and not need anything like that ever again.", they said.

I use it all the time, along with my Estwing hatchet and rock hammers.

My grandfather was a cabinet and furniture maker. His hammers were all leather wrapped Estwing 16 oz and other finish carpentry tools. Towards the end of his life, we bought him a new, leather Estwing 16. He barely did any woodworking at that time, but was thrilled. He'd thought they'd stopped making that model years ago.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Have you used a Stanley tape measure lately?

Stanley stopped making good tape measures in 2008 when they converted them to plastic. Thin, brittle plastic at that.

Milwaukee makes a much better tape measure.
View Quote
I haven't bought a tape measure in years. My local Lowes had a promotion where there was a $15 off coupon attached to their Stanley 25' tape measures. If I remember right, the tapes were slightly less than $15, so they were basically paying me to take their tape measures. I bought them out and haven't needed to buy another since.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Got my Estwing Tomahawks from Lowes
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought an Estwing hatchet 20-some years ago.

Will probably never buy another one.

This thing just keeps doing the job.

I will, however, advise anybody who needs a hatchet to buy Estwing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Estwing for the win! Most comfortable handle ever.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 11:53:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm going against the grain here.  I used to be an Estwing guy, still have a couple.  Now, for framing hammers, the Dewalt hammers are much better.  More ergonomic by far, and I swear they'll drive a nail in a couple fewer hits.  And at the end of the day, I don't feel it in my elbow.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:01:52 AM EDT
[#22]
My hammer of choice.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 2:22:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Back when I was earning a living banging nails I had 3 Estwings.  I still have the 28 oz framing and the 21 oz finish, and that's been about 32 years now.  You're going to have a hard time convincing me there's a more durable hammer out there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
WTF?

I mean, seriously?  While we all have our preferences, anyone in the trades will admit that Estwing is a legit top tier smashy/ choppy tool manufacturer.  You’d think a company that says “how doers get things done” wouldn't cancel one of the primary tool companies that facilitate that.  

Or not.  Their “pro desks” and the inept, lazy zombies that man them, suck balls.  

Only thing they’re good for is having all the punch out shit you may need under one roof.

Oh, and re: tape measures.  After my last all metal Powerlock went to the great toolbox in the sky, I switched to a wide blade magnetic end Milwaukee and couldn’t be happier.
View Quote

you will own yellow or red, and you will like it

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tools/comments/10ltwjr/home_depot_no_longer_carries_estwing_what_the_fuck/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#25]
HD sucks

The store is like kmart here. Ads suck too and let me know they hate me
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#26]
They really should be ashamed of themselves.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've had very good luck with Estwing. They make pretty much the Cadillac of slag hammers imo.
View Quote

IMO, Estwing is top notch stuff and has done me well.

I too use their slag hammer, with a good list of other tools from them.

Their 19oz modern style framer is a joy to use.

I understand if a professional carpenter wants to use something like a Stiletto, or prefers a CA framer, whatever, but I can’t see being disappointed by an Estwing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#28]
if I have to choose between Homie the Despot and Estwing, Estwing wins every time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Stiletto master race checking in.

Got one as a gift, I use it 4 or 5 times a year
View Quote

Titanium waffle head?...
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Stanley stopped making good tape measures in 2008 when they converted them to plastic. Thin, brittle plastic at that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This reminds of when Lowes stopped selling Stanley tape measures. The clerk said the Craftsman and Dewalt tape measures were just as good.  I was nice enough to inform them that they were wrong about that.

You take that back Sir! Ain't no better tape measure than the 'ol silver Stanley 30'er...

...er, I mean 35'er
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Lowes tried that a few years ago. Estwing made it back on the shelf quietly not long after.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That said they are still a LOT better than Lowe's. And Lowe's is light-years ahead of Menards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HD is the top tier harbor freight CHICOM imported junk. They are slowly getting rid of any made in USA goods. And the target audience that shops at HD's do not care.

The irony is that Menards has been making an effort recently to stock more made in USA hand tools. Wilde punches and chisels for example. My local stores also carry a lot of knipex. (Yes I know knipex is made mostly in Germany) Their power tools are still mostly 3rd class junk though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm going against the grain here.  I used to be an Estwing guy, still have a couple.  Now, for framing hammers, the Dewalt hammers are much better.  More ergonomic by far, and I swear they'll drive a nail in a couple fewer hits.  And at the end of the day, I don't feel it in my elbow.
View Quote

Estwing really only wins in the durability department, they are a damn durable tool.

You can't beat them for form work because we beat the hell out of them.

For framing I would take a wooden handle with better balance any day of the week.

I wish you could order Estwing with custom colors on the handle, it's a pain on sites where 15 guys all have the same exact hammer.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I used to love Estwings. I have had every hammer and are they make, and every single one has been stolen. At least a dozen framing hammers alone.

Now I use the modern new Dewalt lightweight hammers and they are twice as good. And not one was stolen in the last 9 years.
View Quote

Dewalt>Estwing
I don’t think so Tim.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Estwing makes some great tools.  I have a framing hammer that I still use regularly and its going on 40 years old.
View Quote

I have my grandfather’s old Estwing he used when he was a roofer……. Old but still reliable
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
WTF?

View Quote
Estwing is one one of very few brands that I don't believe I've ever heard anyone complain about... it's held in almost universal high regard.  Ditching them seems like a bonehead move.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yet another reason to not shop at that building material junk bazaar.
View Quote

Yep.
They'll carry a brand, and then drop it like it's on fire if they can make more profit off of another brand.
Years ago, I got burned by them on a Toro weedeater.
I said screw 'em and bought a Stihl.  I should have bought that first, because I already had the chainsaw and backpack blower.
Live and learn, F Home Depot and their garbage lumber and hardware.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The irony is that Menards has been making an effort recently to stock more made in USA hand tools. Wilde punches and chisels for example. My local stores also carry a lot of knipex. (Yes I know knipex is made mostly in Germany) Their power tools are still mostly 3rd class junk though.
View Quote

I will say their USA made MasterForce SDS bits are the best I have ever used, period.  They are WAY better than Irwin, Bosch, and even the Milwaukee bits I have tried.

They are like half the price to boot.  VERY nice bits. Just in case you do a decent amount of rotary hammering like me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Estwing has been my go to hammer for 43 years
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You take that back Sir! Ain't no better tape measure than the 'ol silver Stanley 30'er...

https://www.northerntool.com/images/product/2000x2000/189/189680_2000x2000.jpg

...er, I mean 35'er
View Quote

I only have one Stanley tape left...a 12' that was bought in 2008 after I went to HD and saw that ALL other tapes besides the 12' had been converted to plastic (I actually worked there at the time). The 12' had both version on the shelf so I snagged a metal cased one. It still works well, but I rarely use it as it's fairly short.

I buy Milwaukee WideBlades now. I'm not a super connoisseur of tape measures in the same way I am of some other hand tools, so maybe I just can't appreciate other tapes quality but for me they have the best feel and visuals and standout, etc. So I buy them. Has to be the wideblade though...I have some of the others and they are not nearly as nice. Very meh.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#41]
I framed for thirty years, Estwing was the LAST hammer I would use.  Give me a 22 ounce hickory handled framing hammer please, my elbow appreciates it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#42]
A couple of mine, great tools.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#43]
The real sucky part is that Home Depot is discontinuing U.S. made goods in favor of more ChiCom shit. this is the kind of thing that destroys US jobs.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't care for the once piece steel design.  Hate to see HD dump american tools though, there aren't many left at the big box stores. Daluge by Vaughn is the finest hammer around.  So we'll balanced.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Estwing is a great American manufacturer. I used to work for a company that did some refurbishing on some of their forging machines. I was legitimately sad when I saw that they are now manufacturing some of their cheap products overseas. They are one of the manufacturing holdouts in a city that used to be one of the most booming manufacturing cities in the country. Unions killed all the manufacturing and now the city is a festering asshole boil. Just for still existing, they get my respect. I also have more of their products than I'd like to admit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Went to local HD this past week to pick up a Rigid 2.0 Pro Gear System 25 in. All Terrain Rolling Tool Cart.  They are on sale for $68 and it is intended for a a solar generator project I am planning.   Went over to look at hammers and it was depressing not seeing any Estwing goodness.  

My favorite hammer is a 200 year old hand forged cross peen hammer that came out of an old carriage makers shop.  I put a new handle on it and enjoy using something that was made in the early 19th century.  The original maker of it made it to use and I am merely carrying on for him.  Tools are meant to be used, not looked at in museums.  

I have 4 Estwing Rock Pick Pointed Tips and the Black Eagle Tomahawk.  They just work as they should.  And they do it over several generations.  What's not to love about that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I like a steel bodied Estwing for automotive work, but prefer Vaughan and Dalluge with hickory handles for most everything else. I also use a Stanley Fat Max Fubar quite a bit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have switched from Stanley to Milwaukee.  Milwaukee has the best release system.

As far as hammers go, Estwig for me or my Plumb hammers that my grandfathers used, one who worked in on Higgins boats during WWII, worked on the Morganza flood control system on the Mississippi river and my other grandfather that worked on the Esso-Baton Rouge refinery expansions during WWII  I have both of their hammers and they dont see much action these days

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

i was going to say the same thing, decent number of good quality USA or German made hand tools, but every else they have tends to be literal bottom of the barrel junk.

ive been using a waffle face titanium Dalluge with wood handle for a few years and i love it. i dont think i’ll ever go back to steel.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top