BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:41:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it because Texans found out these three easy tricks?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Insurance Companies are gonna HATE TEXAS
Is it because Texans found out these three easy tricks?
Lol
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:42:38 AM EDT
[#2]
a fucking link with Rachel maddow pic?

BAN HIM!
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:50:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ebola, yellow fever, dengue fever, Captain Trips, cool shit like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do they have there?
Ebola, yellow fever, dengue fever, Captain Trips, cool shit like that.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:53:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to set up a deadily disease bank in a coastal town that was completely obliterated by a hurricane 100 years ago?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I heard that Galveston National Laboratory is without power but I can't find any sources.

That could be very bad news.
Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to set up a deadily disease bank in a coastal town that was completely obliterated by a hurricane 100 years ago?
A politician
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 1:58:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well that's fun. Anyone know what kind of procedures a L4 bio facility has for incidents like this?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:03:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Article says peroxides for use in other shit. They say it shouldn't have a long term impact
View Quote
Yeah but who wouldn't say that if they had a ton of dangerous shit about to go into the atmosphere?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 2:06:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There's always a Campion. Always.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Multiple explosions reported. Several sheriff deputies on their way to hospital.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Multiple explosions reported. Several sheriff deputies on their way to hospital.
View Quote
Sauce?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:50:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Link?

ETA:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/arkema-warns-it-cant-prevent-potential-chemical-explosion-in-texas-1504124326

Industrial chemical manufacturer Arkema said early Thursday it has been notified about two explosions and black smoke coming from its plant in Crosby, Texas. The company said it is working closely with federal, state and local authorities to manage the situation, according to a statement on its website
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Owners in france says enough. 
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:53:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Not sure I understand how something so potentially dangerous and critical could be built without first making sure it was designed to avoid being flooded. Yes, I know 40 inches of rain in that amount of time is akin to biblical proportions, but still. We're not talking about plopping down a pizza joint or even a gas station.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#14]

It go Boom?
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not sure I understand how something so potentially dangerous and critical could be built without first making sure it was designed to avoid being flooded. Yes, I know 40 inches of rain in that amount of time is akin to biblical proportions, but still. We're not talking about plopping down a pizza joint or even a gas station.
View Quote
I imagine there are all manner of regulations, site studies, etc. that go into siting these things, but in the end somebody somewhere has to look at all the probabilities and draw a line... or nothing would get ever get built.  I doubt there's a hazardous facility anywhere in the country that isn't ultimately susceptible to some sort of natural disaster, but the realities of construction costs mean they can only address the most likely, and everything else is a roll of the dice.  It's just "shit happens" on a tragic scale.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Not to make lite of the situation but this is peroxide not a high order explosive. Get away from it and don't breath the smoke but that's pretty much it. Sure it reacts kinda sporty but its not that big of a deal.The plant is small and most of it has been shut down for years. I grew up in that area and have friends that are still there. 
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Organic peroxides can be VERY unstable... particularly if they heat up.  They're serious free-radical generators.

They're not kidding about the explosion potential.

ETA:  just for reference, TATP, known by terrorists as "Mother of Satan," is just such an organic peroxide.
View Quote
TATP

Very nasty stuff. Difficult to detect due to lack of a nitrogen component.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not to make lite of the situation but this is peroxide not a high order explosive. Get away from it and don't breath the smoke but that's pretty much it. Sure it reacts kinda sporty but its not that big of a deal.The plant is small and most of it has been shut down for years. I grew up in that area and have friends that are still there. 
View Quote
lmaoooooooooooooooooooo
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Its 5 gallon jugs in concrete rooms. I guess we will just see. 

Eta: 1 to 10 lbs containers in refrigerated box vans. 9 vans total 3 not working.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, like several other natural disasters (think Fukishima) are the ones you don't plan for because the likelihood of them happening is pretty rare.  Yet they happen.  The cost to actually install systems to deal with this type of storm or inevitably deciding not to build or having to build somewhere else because of this thing happening just...well it's just not the thing you plan for.

Like I said earlier in this thread I worked at facilities (hell, they're probably affected now) along the Gulf Coast and one in Lake Charles specifically that never thought they'd lose both sources of power yet they did.  In 1999 during Hurricane Floyd there were facilties all along the Raritan River in NJ that saw water because it was the 500 year or 800 year flood that you didn't plan for.  Even where I work now when we perform our PHAs (process hazard analysis) there are circumstances so bizarre that we simply say, no freaking way that could happen.  I mean we throw some really wonky ideas out there to see how realistic they may be in terms of hazards to the system and in turn a hazard to the community and we've got some doozies.  Should we plan for inevitable nuclear war and fallout proofing the system?  No.  We're on a 500 year flood plain...should we start building additional walls and containment for something that probably won't happen?  I'd rather spend that money on maintenance to ensure the normal shit that can happen doesn't.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Its 5 gallon jugs in concrete rooms. I guess we will just see. 

Eta: 1 to 10 lbs containers in refrigerated box vans. 9 vans total 3 not working.
View Quote
Just as long as it does not breach the ammonia system.  That said, the ammonia system should be pretty boring right now as long as the piping remains intact.  It should be designed to go to a ambient pressure state and just sit there with minor venting if necessary. 

The last facility I worked at had lots of fun peroxides in refrigerated trailers that were used in making specialty plastics.  We were along a river but if it flooded you needed and ark as we were 50' above the river bank.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Two issues here:

1. Design, it floods here, has for as long as man walked into this swamp.  Why not build that factor into the design.  Answer - Money - build it as cheap as you can.

2. Run through hurricane for Profit,  I have witnessed this question for my whole life:  Should we shut down Safely now and get everyone out or try to run either through it or right up to it.  I have seen people who volunteer to stay inside the refineries and chemical plants during hurricanes.  Facilities still shut down due to weather and the brave souls who volunteered to stay try to stay alive in a sea of water, oil and chemical stew. 
View Quote
I operated a facility through Floyd in 1999.  Of course, this was NJ, but we were a PSM/RMP site due to the fun chemicals we had there (i.e. what makes LEDs, chips, solar panels, etc).  We shut down and sent everyone home except for a few key employees and live canaries (me).  it was an adventure I still remember vividly to this day because of the inherent risk and hazards but something I was proud to do because everyone else wanted to be at home with their families.  Mine was safe 300 miles away.

There are facilities I know in LC and around the gulf coast that shut down for past and this current hurricane.  What do you do with all your process chemicals?  You can't just call in tanker ships and tanker trucks or start shipping everything out by rail.  The logistics of that alone is insane.  For instance, how do you load up a tanker or barge full of ammonia and then send it south into the storm?  Filling up tanker trucks with death chemicals and then putting them on the highway with evacuees is just as risky. 

The entire Gulf Coast is a swamp with not much elevation above sea level.  There are some safety measures put in place but the choice is how far inland do you want to move these facilities until its "safe" and how much cost is involved with moving raw materials or finished goods over that land and the additional risks of moving those materials?  That's the question.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

TATP

Very nasty stuff. Undetectable due to lack of a nitrogen component.
View Quote
It's not undetectable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Level 4 bio containment
View Quote
Hey where should we put this lab? I know, right where hurricanes are probable.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same thing as Fukushima. Emergency equipment not protected.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Hauled the shit outta plastic pellets from all those plants.

PITA.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I heard that Galveston National Laboratory is without power but I can't find any sources.

That could be very bad news.
View Quote
Sounds like they should be prepared for this type of thing...

"Galveston National Laboratory is an eight-story structure that was built using construction standards designed to resist a Category 5 hurricane. In addition to structural design elements, other protective measures included support pilings reaching a depth of 120 feet (37 m) into the earth and the placement of all lab facilities at a height of at least 30 feet (9.1 m) above the 100-year floodplain.[4] The building houses more than 80,000 sq ft (7,400 m2) of laboratory space, of which 12,000 sq ft (1,100 m2) is dedicated to BSL-4 use. Other labs located in the building include BSL-3 facilities which research select & non-select agents in cell cultures, animal and insects.[4] The laboratory became operational in November 2008 and was dedicated by U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison.[6] Attached to and functioning as a part of the GNL is the older Keiller Building, which houses additional BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratories, including an insect BSL-3 lab. Also attached is the Shope BSL-4 lab, a smaller BSL-4 facility built in 2005."
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Looking for images of the explosions 
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sounds like they should be prepared for this type of thing...

"Galveston National Laboratory is an eight-story structure that was built using construction standards designed to resist a Category 5 hurricane. In addition to structural design elements, other protective measures included support pilings reaching a depth of 120 feet (37 m) into the earth and the placement of all lab facilities at a height of at least 30 feet (9.1 m) above the 100-year floodplain.[4] The building houses more than 80,000 sq ft (7,400 m2) of laboratory space, of which 12,000 sq ft (1,100 m2) is dedicated to BSL-4 use. Other labs located in the building include BSL-3 facilities which research select & non-select agents in cell cultures, animal and insects.[4] The laboratory became operational in November 2008 and was dedicated by U.S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison.[6] Attached to and functioning as a part of the GNL is the older Keiller Building, which houses additional BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratories, including an insect BSL-3 lab. Also attached is the Shope BSL-4 lab, a smaller BSL-4 facility built in 2005."
View Quote
I'm way more worried about the BSL-3 insect labs.  Built-in vectors...
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that's fun. Anyone know what kind of procedures a L4 bio facility has for incidents like this?
https://media.giphy.com/media/dQpCYHMFGvLGg/giphy.gif
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fire, lots of fire.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's not undetectable.
View Quote
Correct. Post edited to reflect reality.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Weather channel showing huge blaze right now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Man, it's going all right. Looks like another couple of buildings might go as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#37]
It's going up Right now.  I'm watching it on the news.  They think 2of the trailers are on fire right now.  

The press ask crazy questions.

Eta:  someone needs to edit the title.  The newscaster said this is breaking news.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Company spokesperson say 6 more containers will soon go up in flames.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#40]
@buckshot_jim  This is open source and in the same ballpark as things we've discussed before. Fortunately they kept it mostly under control, but that isn't a guaranteed thing in all instances. We all live around enough bulk chemicals that we could be forced out of our houses with whatever we can grab and be forced to leave everything behind as a loss.  Like this  Does that make sense?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
@buckshot_jim  This is open source and in the same ballpark as things we've discussed before. Fortunately they kept it mostly under control, but that isn't a guaranteed thing in all instances. We all live around enough bulk chemicals that we could be forced out of our houses with whatever we can grab and be forced to leave everything behind as a loss.  Like this  Does that make sense?
View Quote
Yes. I understand now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#42]

I lived through the aftermath of a 5 second mistake at a chemical plant. The things that helped me most were comms, vehicle mobility, and savings.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I lived through the aftermath of a 5 second mistake at a chemical plant. The things that helped me most were comms, vehicle mobility, and savings.
View Quote
Glad you survived. There are lots of bad things in plants and on our roads and railways.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top