Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To be honest, French men are not noted for being tall compared to other ethnic groups.  To say he was average would imply he was short.
View Quote

Westerners today are tall by historical standards.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#2]
None of them, I actually read history books......and not the myth books prevalent in public schools.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Phew, at least Santa and the Easter Bunny are real!
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A large portion of England was 'resettled' by Vikings. Normans and the Normandy region of France was named for the Norseman. Russians are named after the Rus, who were Scandinavian settlers.

A lot of modern English is due to the people having to learn to converse with each other. You can thank the multiple invasions of England for us having a variety of rules for grammar, such as plurals:  mice/mouse, moose/moose, horse/horses.

I had a class in Norwegian during college. It was fairly easy to pick up because of the similarities.

View Quote
I've seen youtube videos comparing Frisian and English as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
God helps those that help themselves isn’t actually in the Bible. agreed

The word Bible isn’t in the Bible.  nit picking, The word ‘Bible’ comes from the Greek word biblion, which originally referred to papyrus or scroll books.

The word Trinity isn’t in the Bible. again true but nit picking. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit.

Neither is the word rapture. comes from Matthew 24:29-31

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
God helps those that help themselves isn’t actually in the Bible.

The word Bible isn’t in the Bible.

The word Trinity isn’t in the Bible.

Neither is the word rapture.

View Quote

Correct.... in fact it is the opposite.

Matthew 6:26

:Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Also, contrary to popular belief - most Vikings were farmers. And when the Vikings traveled to foreign lands, they generally acted as traders. There was very little rape, pillaging, plundering, and rape.

View Quote

You said rape twice.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Apparently not one single stock broker took a swan dive during  the 1929 stock  market crash.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:58:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Socrates was reputed to be 71 years old when he was forced to drink Hemlock tea as his method of execution
View Quote
Socrates wasn't forced to drink hemlock, he did so voluntarily after being sentenced pro forma by the Athenian council, who fully expected that he would be spirited out of Athens by his followers. His followers did in fact try to convince him to leave Athens but he chose not to, preferring to live (die) in a way which was fully reconciled with his philosophy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Whoever actually said "Let them eat cake,"  for much of my life I thought the word "cake" referred to a sweet, baked confection.  I learned otherwise at about age 40.
View Quote

A cake bite?

[/RedVsBlue]
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:20:18 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
1. I did know that. Learned it while researching a paper I wrote, yes actually wrote it out, in middle school I think.

2. Did not know that, but makes sense. We've known we were nomadic hunter gatherers for a long time.

3. Did not know that.

4. Knew that, although I believed the lie for a long time though too.

5. Never knew that, but I don't know much about British royalty anyway.

6. I knew that one. It came up in something I watched long ago on the history channel.

7. Didn't know that. But makes sense. Lots of information out there publish/written by dudes in their late middle age or even older.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yep, road apples.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoever actually said "Let them eat cake,"  for much of my life I thought the word "cake" referred to a sweet, baked confection.  I learned otherwise at about age 40.

"Cakes" = cakes of dung, iirc

Yep, road apples.

Is the claim that the French is the word "brioche" as slang for horse dung, some unwitting translator thought that Americans used "cake" in the same way, and nobody else bothered to reference the original text?
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Humpty Dumpty did not fall, he was pushed.
View Quote

And the fucking lazy-assed horses did jack and shit to help. They just stood around while the King's men tried to re-assemble the poor egg.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone attacked by Vikings likely considered them savages. But they would have been rather advanced savages in many ways.

Migration era Anglo-Saxons were pretty much the same culture as the Vikings. Weapons, ships, gods and language all very similar. Early English is closer to Scandinavian than German I believe.
View Quote

And Roman references to battling "the barbarian hoard" were talking about Germanic tribes, not Vikings.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And Roman references to battling "the barbarian hoard" were talking about Germanic tribes, not Vikings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone attacked by Vikings likely considered them savages. But they would have been rather advanced savages in many ways.

Migration era Anglo-Saxons were pretty much the same culture as the Vikings. Weapons, ships, gods and language all very similar. Early English is closer to Scandinavian than German I believe.

The whole period is often inconsistently defined. prince Rurik is considered a Viking, yet his Rus kingdom was established before some timelines consider the "Viking Age" to have begun.

A lot of this all ties to who wrote what down. The idea of calling raiding tribes "Vikings" seems to have some (ironically) from the Anglo-Saxon rulers of Britannia at the time (I mean, how dare these other Norse tribes invade the land our norse tribes invaded and conquered fair and square a bit ago!) with later historians applying that term and concept to other raiding and migratory tribes. There is so little actual history, it's tough to piece together and we generally have to combine sagas with exposure to literate civilizations with archeology.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The whole period is often inconsistently defined. prince Rurik is considered a Viking, yet his Rus kingdom was established before some timelines consider the "Viking Age" to have begun.

A lot of this all ties to who wrote what down. The idea of calling raiding tribes "Vikings" seems to have some (ironically) from the Anglo-Saxon rulers of Britannia at the time (I mean, how dare these other Norse tribes invade the land our norse tribes invaded and conquered fair and square a bit ago!) with later historians applying that term and concept to other raiding and migratory tribes. There is so little actual history, it's tough to piece together and we generally have to combine sagas with exposure to literate civilizations with archeology.

View Quote

To be fair, the Christian era Anglo-Saxons invaded by Vikings probably didn't know how similar their ancestors were to Vikings.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Westerners today are tall by historical standards.
View Quote

Vikings were about 5'8", and late Middle Ages English about 5'7". US today is 5'9".
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It was a huge deal. Orson Wells discussed it repeatedly on several of his shows.
View Quote

I imagine he had reasons to make it seem significant. I remain unconvinced (although I wouldn't bet much on it).
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#20]
A lot of that stuff is kinda half truths or debatable.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To be fair, the Christian era Anglo-Saxons invaded by Vikings probably didn't know how similar their ancestors were to Vikings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd say that's more than fair, as one of the major themes that seem to define civilizational perceptions and how we define eras relates to religion. We generally consider the viking age to have ended when the vikings became Christians. They became "one of us."
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#22]
The horns were not on the Viking helmets.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:17:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You said rape twice.
View Quote
He likes rape.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#24]
To think I believed that paul revere guy
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You're correct about the viking helmets, but I have other proof.

https://d1vlhxry9oul9s.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/giphy.gif
View Quote

I rest my case

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't think it was as big a deal it was made out to be. Probably was bigger when the repeated it in Peru in the 70s (the radio station was attacked).
View Quote

It was a big deal, but it was mostly a big deal in a small section of the country, it wasn’t natiinwide and it wasn’t reported then as nationwide. As my father told me it centered on rural Pennsylvania and New Jersey and mostly in people that missed that it was a dramatization.  My dad lived in NYC at that time and said it was pretty funny to them.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Joe Biden didn’t get 80 plus million votes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#28]
#6 is bullshit. I seent the pics.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
He likes rape.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It was a big deal, but it was mostly a big deal in a small section of the country, it wasn’t natiinwide and it wasn’t reported then as nationwide. As my father told me it centered on rural Pennsylvania and New Jersey and mostly in people that missed that it was a dramatization.  My dad lived in NYC at that time and said it was pretty funny to them.
View Quote

My dad heard it and realized it was a prank. He thought it was funny.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
...it centered on rural Pennsylvania and New Jersey ...
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was about flour.  Hard flour with more gluten was used for bread.  Soft flour with less gluten was used for lighter baked goods like cake.  Cake flour was a luxury and was taxed, but bread flour was seen as a necessity for life and not taxed or not taxed as heavily.  When there was a shortage of bread flour leaving people short of basic food, the monarchy said "let them eat cake" meaning to temporarily lift the tax on cake flour so everyone could afford flour to bake something for daily eating.  Or so the story goes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Go down into the rio grande valley and dig in literally any of the thousands of caves, I guarantee each and every one of them were used as habitation sites. I know this for a fact.
View Quote

Not much of the world has caves, but I sure would have had one.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#34]
When I was a kid I honestly believed Native Americans all lived in peace and harmony with Mother Nature until the evil white European settlers came.  However, I continue to learn how things were WAY more complicated than that.

The crap they feed you as a child in public schools is ridiculous.  The world is way more complex than the public schools present it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Hollywood does a lot to develop stereotypes. It is a cheap way to make memorable characters and extra profits. The truth is almost always something else.

# 7 I do question. I find it difficult for Europe to lose 40% of its population due to the Black Plague and the life expectancy not change. England, France, Spain, and  Italy lost between 50% and 60% of their populations in two years. It took 150 years for the European population to recover. Wars also took a break. Those who survived were healthier and had better immunity so they probably did live longer. How many were sterilized by the disease? Though the survivors were now more immune, food production and trade fell through the floor. The social restructuring caused an enormous upheaval.

It took Same with the period of the Hundred Years War. A lot of warriors died in the prime of their lives. That had to affect the replacement rate.

https://www.sc.edu/uofsc/posts/2022/08/conversation-old-age-is-not-a-modern-phenomenon.php#.Y36UhS-B3T8

https://sc.edu/uofsc/announcements/2014/05_sharondewitte_blackdeath_plosonejournal.php#.Y36b0C-B3T8
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
He likes rape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You said rape twice.
He likes rape.

Still funny 48 years later.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:25:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's one for you.  Supposedly 85% of the time when Jesus or his disciples quote from the Old Testament, they quote word-for-word from the Septuagint rather than the Masoretic text that is the basis of most modern Old Testament translations.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Vikings also didn't dress like outlaw bikers.

They coveted fine fabrics in bright colors.
View Quote

LOL This one always made me laugh. Remember "It isn't over until the Fat Lady sings," then they show some land whale wearing a horned helmet?  Ya, Hollywood (and Broadway) strikes again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

The word Bible is the first word in the book "Bible of the Bible"

Trinity was the name of the third Blade movie.

Blondies "Rapture" was the first rap song played on MTV

and

Biden said the government will help everyone if you obey us and get your covid shots.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
5.  Marie Antoinette never actually uttered the famous phrase “let them eat cake,” in response to learning that her subjects were starving that’s so often attributed to her. In fact, it was first published in Confessions by Jean-Jacques Rousseau, and attributed to “a great princess.” At the time, Marie Antoinette would’ve been just nine years old.
View Quote

[Citation needed]
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

[Citation needed]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.  Marie Antoinette never actually uttered the famous phrase “let them eat cake,” in response to learning that her subjects were starving that’s so often attributed to her. In fact, it was first published in Confessions by Jean-Jacques Rousseau, and attributed to “a great princess.” At the time, Marie Antoinette would’ve been just nine years old.

[Citation needed]

Is Encyclopedia Britannica credible enough ?

https://www.britannica.com/story/did-marie-antoinette-really-say-let-them-eat-cake
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

[Citation needed]
View Quote

Came to post this.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Except for the American Indians, they dropped like flies if you believe the hype. They were raiding villages, enslaving each other, and wiping out tribes long before the Europeans came. Now we are finding out they weren't the first. Just more hype. Who wiped them out? Ya, you guessed it, time-traveling aliens. The Indians could never do such foul deeds.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
1. Napoleon Bonaparte wasn’t all that short. In fact, he was actually slightly taller than the average Frenchman at the time...
View Quote

Napoleon's favorite horse, Marengo, (the one he's usually pictured on) was an Arabian stallion only 14.1 Hands (57") high at his withers. Horses under 14.2 Hands are classified as ponies.

ETA:
Today, parts of Marengo are still on display. After the Changing of the Guard Ceremony at Buckingham Palace in London, when the Captain sits down to lunch. In front of him he will see one of Marengo’s hooves covered with a polished silver lid. When the item (a snuff box) is not in use on the table, it sits on the nearby sideboard. On the lid is the inscription that reads, Hoof of Marengo, Barb charger of Napoleon, ridden by him at Marengo, Austerlitz, Jena, Wagram, in the campaign of Russia and lastly at Waterloo. This hoof was presented on April 8, 1840 by J.W. Angerstein Captain Grenadier Guards and Lieutenant-Colonel to his brother officers of the Household Brigade.

Marengo’s other two hooves are on display with his preserved skeleton at the Waterloo Gallery at the National Army Museum in Chelsea; his fourth hoof and skin are missing, and as of this writing have still not been found.
View Quote

SOURCE
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Also, contrary to popular belief - most Vikings were farmers. And when the Vikings traveled to foreign lands, they generally acted as traders. There was very little rape, pillaging, plundering, and rape.

View Quote

So you read the Prince Valiant comic strips growing up to? I couldn't wait for the Sunday comics to arrive.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

And the fucking lazy-assed horses did jack and shit to help. They just stood around while the King's men tried to re-assemble the poor egg.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Humpty Dumpty did not fall, he was pushed.

Who said Humpty Dumpty was an egg?
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#47]
There was no Vikings but there was men who went a Viking.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When I was a kid I honestly believed Native Americans all lived in peace and harmony with Mother Nature until the evil white European settlers came.  However, I continue to learn how things were WAY more complicated than that.

The crap they feed you as a child in public schools is ridiculous.  The world is way more complex than the public schools present it.
View Quote

We were told:
Indians only took what they needed to survive, yet many tribes would send out hunting parties for weeks at a time.

What I found out:
A lot of settlements had dead zones around them where almost nothing lived due to over hunting. Hunting parties often traveled long distances to find game
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[Citation needed]

Is Encyclopedia Britannica credible enough ?

https://www.britannica.com/story/did-marie-antoinette-really-say-let-them-eat-cake

Considering that even they don't have a comprehensive record of everything she said, no.

And even that article doesn't give a definitive answer.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There was no Vikings but there was men who went a Viking.
View Quote

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top