Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2016 10:40:59 AM EDT
The other shotgun slug thread got me to thinking, so rather than derail that one, I opted for this one. That said, no, I'm not having 'Squatch issues, nor do I plan to. But then, you know, nobody plans to, these things just happen.

So, just for the sake of discussion, let's assume the big, smelly, hairy, inconsiderate bastard is real. Let's also pretend I lived in a 'Squatch infested area like Washington State, Oregon, or, apparently, Oklahoma. Which of the following two shotgun slugs would be better defensive purposes in 'Squatch country?

First off, the Brenneke Special Forces Short Magnum:

"Threats come in many forms these days, sometimes driving a vehicle ['Squatch won't be doing that], sometimes hiding behind a wall [sneaky bastard might be doing that]. Urban and CQB situations require a unique projectile—one of unequaled penetration and stopping power at medium ranges. That’s exactly what the Brenneke Special Forces Short Magnum offers. Its massive frontal area, exceptionally hard alloys and distinctive Brenneke weightforward design will penetrate many vehicles, doors, even some walls, putting an end to the threat right here, right now."

Next up, the Brenneke 3 inch Black Magic Magnum:

"The Black Magic Magnum (12 GA 3”) is one of the most powerful cartridges available on the market. It offers tremendous knockdown power up to 100/60 yards. The Black Magic Magnum is your life insurance against big and/or dangerous game."

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say line up some 'Squaches and do some penetration tests.  Only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Zombies are more real than the Squatch.

I prefer to buy ammo related to Zombies.....so any slug will do for that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Regular old Remington slugger, or Winchester super x.

If you can't kill it with one of those, it doesn't need killing today.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Neither, these I would use on samsquatch!
machined steel flatpoint slugs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Black Magic, but either will do fine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#6]
See, I'm not a ballistics expert. Nor - though it shames me to admit it - am I an Engineer® like everyone else. Thus, I can't tell which would be best for 'Squatch. The SF Short is designed to penetrate hard targets. Well, if it can shoot through a brick wall, it'll penetrate a 'Squatch. However, the Black Magic is optimized for massive wallop on big, dangerous animals, delivering more, er, foot pounds per thrust. So to speak.

Most people who have encountered a buck 'Squatch have placed the critter at 7-9 feet tall and weighing 600-1000 lbs. That's a lot of pissed off 'Squatch to deal with.

Of course, if the witness was a woman you can't put much stock in her description of height and weight, because most of them have been told all their lives that this:

|_______________________________________________________|

is ten inches.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#7]
OP should page O_P.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#8]
you shoot a squatch with a slug anywhere near center mass, its going to die doesnt much mater what shape the slug is, that's a big ass hole and a lot of energy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:22:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OP should page O_P.
View Quote

Usually he would be the go to guy. However, I don't think he's ever done a 'Squatch O' Truth, so...

Someone really needs to come up with a type of ballistic gel that simulates a buck 'Squatch. Granted, it's a niche market but it's wide open right now.

Now, some might say, "Whatever is good for Grizzly bear defense is good for 'Squatch defense." Well, I don't know. Would that be true?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:25:23 AM EDT
[#11]

That right there is exactly what I'm talking about. Let's say you got a couple of the kids locked up out there as punishment for listening to that rap crap. You can't just let the 'Squatch get them (well, you could, but...). Going to have to shoot him with something.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#12]
The Black Magic Magnum is Squatch approved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRHmDaDnwDU
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#14]
It was shiny and on the interwebs, it must be best slug.

OATH 12ga

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#15]
What does TNOutdoors9 say?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Poll fail, no D-Dupleks steel slugs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#17]
What ever you can stack the deepest. Squatchs rarely live alone and you dont want to run short.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Usually he would be the go to guy. However, I don't think he's ever done a 'Squatch O' Truth, so...

Someone really needs to come up with a type of ballistic gel that simulates a buck 'Squatch. Granted, it's a niche market but it's wide open right now.

Now, some might say, "Whatever is good for Grizzly bear defense is good for 'Squatch defense." Well, I don't know. Would that be true?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP should page O_P.

I think the more appropriate comparison would be Polar Bear/'Squatch.  Probably pretty close at that point.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Black Magic Magnum is Squatch approved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRHmDaDnwDU
View Quote

I've seen that video. It's interesting how the concrete block stopped the Black Magic round. A fluke? I would assume so, but sometimes ballistics are counterintuitive, so I don't know.

Now, as for barrier penetration with the SF Short Magnum (and the Brenneke "Maximum Barrier Penetration" slug), skip to 7:00 of this vid (the regular "home defense" slug didn't penetrate the brick wall):

Would a 'Squatch be more rugged than a brick wall?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Impossible to know because they will run once they hear the racking of the weapon system
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I have used the black magic magnum.   Holy shit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Zombies are more real than the Squatch.

I prefer to buy ammo related to Zombies.....so any slug will do for that.
View Quote

Really? are you kidding? when did you see a film of a Zombie that wasn't a theatrical production or just plain faked? At least with Sasquatch's we do have film...........
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#23]
We'll need test subjects.

First, we'll need some gorillas and some grizzly bears.  
Next, we've got to make them fuck each other.
Then comes the hard part, the waiting.  Gestation and maturing unless you want to test on baby squatches, that might upset some people though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Then comes the hard part, the waiting.  Gestation and maturing unless you want to test on baby squatches, that might upset some people though.
View Quote

gee, just what would the gestation period be?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Dragon Breath, set the hairy bastard on fire.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have used the black magic magnum.   Holy shit.
View Quote

I imagine you don't want to pussyfoot it with brown bear.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:04:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

87, obviously.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

87, obviously.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

87, obviously.

months, days, years, what?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#30]
We carry Brenneke's and Federal Flite Control Buckshot.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

87, obviously.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Whatever you would prefer for Grizzly.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Add pig and you'd have Rosie O'Donnell
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:40:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You gave up your 444 Marlin?

Personally, I'd want my 458 SOCOM.  10 rounds of 405 grainers will put a hurtin' on anything.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Personally, I'd want my 458 SOCOM.  10 rounds of 405 grainers will put a hurtin' on anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

oh no.. I love my 444. it puts the hurt on anything I shoot and very shootable and quick handling and they don't hang off both sides of the ATV's to get caught on brush.
if we are out at night, we almost always carry shotguns. during the day time, my rifle will be with me.

one thing we noticed years ago right off the bat, if you run into someone or the law and you are carrying a levergun or a shotgun no one bats an eye but if you are carrying an black rifle they are going to give you a double take. most everyone you run into in the woods is carrying something and in eastern OK a levergun or a shotgun is the gold standard.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top