Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
When I can’t get moritas I add a can of chipotle peppers in adobo. Seeds removed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks for the link.  That looks damn tasty
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#4]
This kind of thread is why I won't eat at 'chili' cookoffs or my friend's 'chili' because it's usually 80% beans of some kind with a little meat and some sauce that's so hot you forget that you're eating like a poor because your tongue is melting.

Beans are something you can ADD TO CHILI, they don't MAKE IT CHILI.

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This kind of thread is why I won't eat at 'chili' cookoffs or my friend's 'chili' because it's usually 80% beans of some kind with a little meat and some sauce that's so hot you forget that you're eating like a poor because your tongue is melting.

Beans are something you can ADD TO CHILI, they don't MAKE IT CHILI.

View Quote

But I did not add beans.

Chili in my opinion is one of the broadest and undefinable things in the human experience.  It is completely subjective to region, upbringing, and personal taste.
I usually make chili with beans. I usually just use ground beef. My usual chili is nothing like what I made and posted in this thread. They are completely different dishes. Yet also so similar. In appearance, in flavors. Yet if you showed my bowl to the country, 99% of people would respond "chili". even if they disagreed on the ingredients. Chili is what you make it. Pasta sauce, hot dog topper, stew, meal. It's only basic element if some sort of chili spice. Be it chili powder or actual ground chilies. You could make spaghetti sauce, server it in a bowl with a spoon and most people would assume and call it chili until they tasted it. It is one of those hills I have learned not to die on.

My friend today brought me a chili. Hi was ground beef, beans, reaper peppers and a fuck ton of garlic. I gave him a container of the OP chili. I tried his. It was good. It was chili. It was not mine. It was different. But it was chili.

Trying to define chili, in my opinion, is a fools errand. It is a spiced sauce/stew with some sort of spicy peppers? Does it tastes good? Fine. Thanks for the chili.

Lets hate a kid sniffer who stole an election.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Works for me.

I’m also a fan of mixed meat chili (as in the OP, beef +pork, or beef+deer meat… various combinations of hog, deer, pork, beef, goat).  If I’m butchering animals, the scraps usually end up as chili or some other kind of stew.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tomatoes?  Not necessary, but whatever.

Ground meat? Can provide some texture, but not my style.

Otherwise, looks edible.  At least you didn't put fucking beans in it.

Hint: if your chili recipe has the words "add a can of " in it, or says to add beans, throw it away.

I like to use half diced stew meat and half coarse chili grind for the textural contrast.

Works for me.

I’m also a fan of mixed meat chili (as in the OP, beef +pork, or beef+deer meat… various combinations of hog, deer, pork, beef, goat).  If I’m butchering animals, the scraps usually end up as chili or some other kind of stew.

The problem with mixed meat can work to your advantage or disadvantage.  Mix elk and beef the elk will cook down and start making gravy and the beef will hold up longer.  Wild hog is tougher than beef and takes longer to cook.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The problem with mixed meat can work to your advantage or disadvantage.  Mix elk and beef the elk will cook down and start making gravy and the beef will hold up longer.  Wild hog is tougher than beef and takes longer to cook.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hint: if your chili recipe has the words "add a can of " in it, or says to add beans, throw it away.

I like to use half diced stew meat and half coarse chili grind for the textural contrast.

Works for me.

Sadly, elk is not among my available menu choices.

I may kill a nilgai in the spring. If so, I will see if that makes good chili.  I think nilgai is the most delicious cervine on the planet.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Elk and beef brisket Ground.  You haters can hate I don't care.  My point is when you see those bubbles coming up and they look like gravy that is when the chilli is getting where it needs to be.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I may kill a nilgai in the spring. If so, I will see if that makes good chili.  I think nilgai is the most delicious cervine on the planet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works for me.

Never had Nilgai and my connection to hunt elk is gone so thats the end of elk.  Still have a 40 or so pound left.  after that back to wild hog.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Never had Nilgai and my connection to hunt elk is gone so thats the end of elk.  Still have a 40 or so pound left.  after that back to wild hog.
View Quote

Feral pig is good in my neighborhood.  Look at the succulent fat on this skinned 25#.  Excellent eating.

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works for me.

I’m out of everything.  Not sure if I’m going to get the opportunity to kill any deer this season either, but hopefully my kids will.

Nilgai is fantastic.  IMO Nilgai>Axis>SoTX whitetail>other whitetail>mule deer

Elk is also great, but so different that it’s hard to classify with other deer… plus, I haven’t eaten a lot of it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Seive the pepper puree to get rid of the pulp and seeds.

Omit tomato sauce for a thicker consistency.

Cheap chilli is made with tomato sauce for the red color and chilli powder added for the "chilli" part.

With pepper puree, you dont need tomato sauce....or any tomatos. The taste, tastes a lot more fresh with pepper puree.

Just keep in mind that pepper puree color doesn't oxidize like tomato color. Meaning it goes in red, and comes out red. You are not bleeding from your bunghole.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not necessary with a good blender.

I used to use a food processor and would sieve it and catch a ton of stuff.

Started running it through the new fancy blender and it all goes right through the sieve. Haven't noticed any crunchy or hard bits. saves a ton of time.

Link Posted: 10/24/2022 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works for me.

I'm also a fan of mixed meat chili (as in the OP, beef +pork, or beef+deer meat  various combinations of hog, deer, pork, beef, goat).  If I'm butchering animals, the scraps usually end up as chili or some other kind of stew.

https://recetas-mexicanas.com.mx/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/discada.jpg

Can’t lie, that looks pretty good.

Link Posted: 10/25/2022 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I got one of the discos from Academy for Father's Day. It's a party favorite. "Everyone bring a meat and we're on!"

https://www.academy.com/p/outdoor-gourmet-24-in-discada
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can't lie, that looks pretty good.

I got one of the discos from Academy for Father's Day. It's a party favorite. "Everyone bring a meat and we're on!"

https://www.academy.com/p/outdoor-gourmet-24-in-discada

Nice.  My wife wanted me to get a blackstone this year, but I don’t have anywhere to put the damned thing.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#17]

You Sir, are a chili God!

Link Posted: 10/25/2022 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Omit tomato sauce for a thicker consistency.

Cheap chilli is made with tomato sauce for the red color and chilli powder added for the "chilli" part.

With pepper puree, you dont need tomato sauce....or any tomatos. The taste, tastes a lot more fresh with pepper puree.

Just keep in mind that pepper puree color doesn't oxidize like tomato color. Meaning it goes in red, and comes out red. You are not bleeding from your bunghole.
View Quote

I snip the dried peppers and remove most of the seeds prior to rehydrating. I've done them whole and strained them and tried putting them in my Vitamix to grind the seeds to a pulp but the results weren't as good as when I remove the seeds, seems like the seeds impart some bitterness.

That puree will stain anything it comes in contact with too. I've had to use bleach to get the discoloration off my cutting board.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Note the last ingredient.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

But I did not add beans.

Chili in my opinion is one of the broadest and undefinable things in the human experience.  It is completely subjective to region, upbringing, and personal taste.
I usually make chili with beans. I usually just use ground beef. My usual chili is nothing like what I made and posted in this thread. They are completely different dishes. Yet also so similar. In appearance, in flavors. Yet if you showed my bowl to the country, 99% of people would respond "chili". even if they disagreed on the ingredients. Chili is what you make it. Pasta sauce, hot dog topper, stew, meal. It's only basic element if some sort of chili spice. Be it chili powder or actual ground chilies. You could make spaghetti sauce, server it in a bowl with a spoon and most people would assume and call it chili until they tasted it. It is one of those hills I have learned not to die on.

My friend today brought me a chili. Hi was ground beef, beans, reaper peppers and a fuck ton of garlic. I gave him a container of the OP chili. I tried his. It was good. It was chili. It was not mine. It was different. But it was chili.

Trying to define chili, in my opinion, is a fools errand. It is a spiced sauce/stew with some sort of spicy peppers? Does it tastes good? Fine. Thanks for the chili.

Lets hate a kid sniffer who stole an election.
View Quote

I'm not yelling at you, OP, your chili looks delicious.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Note the location.

South Dakota knows fuck all about chili. Your pic proves that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Real chili has corn.

Link Posted: 10/25/2022 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

morita is supposedly just a smoked red jalepeno
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Morita is the only one I don't think I've ever had.

The rest are carried in the "Hispanic" aisle at any Wal-Mart around here.

The chilies are (supposed to be) where the lion's share of the flavor (and color...) come from. There's soooo much you can do with the flavor, just by playing around with the blend of chilies you decide to use.

EDIT: To answer your question, the arbols are the only "hot" ones in there.

Chipotle pepper are smoked dried “green” unripe jalapeño
Morita peppers are fully ripened then smoked dried jalapeño

I find moritas to have an sweet almost raisin like smell. Chipotle’s, no sweetness.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I find moritas to have an sweet almost raisin like smell. Chipotle’s, no sweetness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The chilies are (supposed to be) where the lion's share of the flavor (and color...) come from. There's soooo much you can do with the flavor, just by playing around with the blend of chilies you decide to use.

“Morita” translates roughly to “little darkie”.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't either, which didn't keep me from getting one for my birthday last weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.  My wife wanted me to get a blackstone this year, but I don't have anywhere to put the damned thing.

I don't either, which didn't keep me from getting one for my birthday last weekend.

Damn man, you got all the cool toys.

Birthday? We still do those?  Fuck I’m old.
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#31]
I’ve begun adding a bit of curry powder to my chili recently.

It just adds another tasty element.

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#32]
OP,  Inspired by your chili did something very similar.  Deer steak, antelope steak, a pound of italian sausage, all the same peppers from fiesta, plus a handful of tobasco, cheyene, and 2 ghost peppers from the garden.  Cooked the meat in the sauce on low for 4 hours then warm over night.  Planning on doing the garlic and onions tonight and adding the seasoning.  Honestly with the salt and seasoning from the sausage, it's really good.  A bit warm but that's how I like it.   Cooked the meat like that because the antelope has been hard to get tender.  It's really tender now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was my nickname in high school.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Looks AMAZING. Needs more beans.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top