BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easy solution, get a pickup truck. I hit speed humps at 40 mph in my F150 and I barely feel shit! I don't even slow down for them, I hate those things!
View Quote

I had a 95 Chevy Blazer I bought used in the late 90s.  I figured out the magic speed for speed bumps in parking lots was 15 or 20 mph, barely felt them.  However, I did feel the pain of paying for new ball joints at 60k miles.  That vehicle was a mechanical POS.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#2]
LP what you and I both know is that you are really looking for a Brodozer.
It fits you to a T. You could do some serious profiling in one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#3]
You are such a drama queen.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You are such a drama queen.
View Quote

ride quality is serious business

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree LP!  They all ride like shit.  Thats why i drive a Yukon with auto leveling air shocks.
Just get a last model Panther Town Car or Mercury Marauder or Crown Vic Sport. I miss my Grand Marquis with the HPP package.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

we are America, we should not care about what other people think
View Quote
Preach on.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's a matter of mass vs volume.  Older vehicles had much greater mass per volume and as such able to "absorb" impact much better.
View Quote
Crash Test 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air VS. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu (Frontal Offset) IIHS 50th Anniversary

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I catch rides from friends due to health, most of them drive dinky cars that I have to drop myself in and then drag myself out. And they ride like shit if you have back issues.

My woman had a Pathfinder I liked, step boards and a good grab handle to get in and then getting out was a matter of falling out. Now she drives a Sentra. I have to be mindful of not using the door as a grab handle getting in/out. 6'3" 220 lbs, I will break the hinges over time.

One friend has a Lincoln that rides like a water bed.
View Quote

My health is shit too. My back was broken in two places in a fall, July 17 will be 35 years ago to the day. I'm a truck guy and usually have trucks and SUV's, but I love big sedans.

Back in the late 90's I drove a black Buick Roadmaster sedan. Best riding car I've ever owned. You couldn't tell how fast you were going without looking at the speedometer. There was so little road and wind noise it was ridiculous! Huge sway bars kept it level in turns at high speeds and you couldn't feel bumps in the road! God I loved that car!

I've had two Escalades, current vehicle is one, and the first one was an '05 2WD and it was as quiet, and rode as well as the Roadmaster, but didn't handle roll as well.

The current is a '16 4WD and it's sport mode handles roll almost as well as the Roadmaster, but I don't think it rides as well as my old Escalade.

BUT, it could be subjective because my health is worse and I just feel it more now.

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I drive an early 2000s grand marquis as my work car and it feels so much better than my other way newer vehicles.  People give me shit for driving am actual grandpa car but I like it.
View Quote

Ain't a damn thing wrong with that. For me a car isn't a status symbol. I want function, comfort and reliability. Last time I was in the market for a car I was looking at the last years of the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis, around here they are almost non existent any more or are ready for the scrap heap. Shame.

BTW poisontree, my wife loves your avatar.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It amazes me how heavy new ''small'' vehicles/cars are for their size compared to each generation of older vehicles similar to them. How they do it with more aluminum and plastics and less steel [are far as parts go] is beyond me. I swear someone is going to find cement blocks in new vehicles to make them weigh more just like they put in front load wash machines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a matter of mass vs volume.  Older vehicles had much greater mass per volume and as such able to "absorb" impact much better.

I think the McPherson struts work better overall than old oil filled absorbers.  But the lighter vehicle is always going to feel the jolt more than a heavier vehicle.

A 93 ford taurus is 3000 pounds. A 2020 Taurus is 4000 pounds.

Wanna guess which one has a smoother ride ?

It amazes me how heavy new ''small'' vehicles/cars are for their size compared to each generation of older vehicles similar to them. How they do it with more aluminum and plastics and less steel [are far as parts go] is beyond me. I swear someone is going to find cement blocks in new vehicles to make them weigh more just like they put in front load wash machines.

It is amazing. The doors on a 93 felt like a tuna can. The 2020 doors feel like a bank vault door in comparison.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LP what you and I both know is that you are really looking for a Brodozer.
It fits you to a T. You could do some serious profiling in one.
View Quote

He's on a rant over econoboxes riding like shit.

Put him in a brodozer and he'll get Congress to ban lift kits.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Many Kia owners won't pay for new struts when they're needed, you think they're going to believe a hydropneumatic system when it's described to them?

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You brought back a memory from my childhood.  I had to ride around with my parents in a realtor's car one day in the late 80s looking at houses.  I was in the back seat and felt like I was going to throw up the entire time.  Absolutely zero feedback from the road.  I get motion sickness fairly easily and that did me in.  The realtor could have probably been stump jumping parking blocks and I wouldn't have noticed.  You can keep your floating fortresses.

Maybe this La Sabre would suit your needs.  It looks like a soft ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kMTHwjy6Z8

View Quote

G-Bodies make great race cars.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Many Kia owners won't pay for new struts when they're needed, you think they're going to believe a hydropneumatic system when it's described to them?

Kharn
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Kia Soul
Extremely short wheelbase with lower profile tires.  What you bought is what you bought employee or not.   Higher end shocks would help quite a bit if your willing to spend the cash but it's just a bandage
 The answer for you is probably a Telluride
View Quote
I've got a 2012 Kia Soul+.  Replacing the totally shit Nexen OEM tires with Michelin Defenders improved the ride enormously, added the missing wet traction of the Nexens, and improved dry traction quite a bit.

Improving the ride a lot for a Soul over OEM tires does NOT equate to getting a good ride.

60K on the car now.  I suppose replacing the OEM shocks and struts might help a little but I don't know who makes struts/shocks that would improve the ride AND provide better compression/rebound control.  The OEMs are definitely due for replacement but OEM quality is not the way I'd like to go.   Going to keep the car for at least another 10 years.  I'm now retired and won't be putting many miles on it driving it for local errands.  It's our decidedly second car.  Easy to get in and out of and good outward visibility.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Go drive a KIa Rondo.  That will make you appreciate the Soul.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LP wants more of what made our cars laughing stocks of the world.
View Quote
Just like when the Germans laughed at Trump when he told them that relying on the Rooskis for energy was going to bite them in the ass bigly.  

Euroweenies' opinions of all things American are clouded by their Euroweenie envy of all things American.  Any disagreement with this statement is...envy.  Nope, wrong, envy.  Envy.  Give up, envy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#18]
My elderly father has an 04 Kia Optima (V6 with around 70k miles) and besides the paint looking like shit, that car is solid. It rides like a knife cutting through warm butter.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He's on a rant over econoboxes riding like shit.

Put him in a brodozer and he'll get Congress to ban lift kits.
View Quote

you can keep your dang trucks
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sometimes I am half tempted to sell my Kia Soul with its 28mpg and get the last Lincoln town cars or another 45 year old piece of American pig iron.

Every time I go over a bump in practically any modern car save for a handful it feels like I am one Man being beaten around by 4 boxers.

Why does modern day bullshit have to be this way, Why did the late 80s/1990s obsession with "sport everything" have to happen, The obsession was so hard and so great for so long that nowadays even practically all premium makes ride like a brick with 4 wheels glued on.

I've had the good fortune to drive many different old cars and new ones even, from a seventies Rolls Royce to a DS with glorious hydropneumatic suspension to cheap ass crudely built fiat 500s, they just take it easily.

I've driven old cheap worthless garbage before oh trust me,  You're talking to to some weird fuck face whos favorite period in car history is from about 1973 to 1980ish, I am a automotive degenerate, I love malaise era American cars.

And when a horribly cheap, crude, pos Plymouth Volare can take a bump more gently and softly than anything comparatively to the same price in modern times well then you shouldn't be surprised if I feel disgusted and insulted.

I am just so tired of it, so fucking tired of it, Kia makes the closest thing I want but they ride like tanks, even fallen kings like Cadillac ride like shit.

I want the complete absence of roads feel, at an affordable price for the middle class man.

Decades ago you could get that easy, it was everywhere, now, no one builds that anymore, no one.

How doomed i am, to be a right wing Millennial pole smoker who listens to sad boy Boomer music and has Silent generation tastes!

Luckily I do have one saving grace the only industry in the entirety of the world that caters to my tastes because it has been mostly untouched by changing times is the gun industry, they still make brand new revolvers and double rifles, Double stack metal frame wood grip semi autos and good old side-by-side shotguns.

But if you want something like a brand new old style America car.

You, are doomed to nothing.
View Quote

Genesis makes cars that focus on ride quality and comfort.. The Koreans love sedans, and my G80 with normal springs is 85% of the ride quality my new 740i loaner has. The air suspension on the G80 closes that gap even further, but fuck air suspensions. My Genesis had an MSRP less than 60k, and besides the smoother engine on the BMW - I prefer my Genesis in every case to the 100k MSRP 740. Even the interior quality, seat comfort and tech is superior in the Genesis. I don't need to twirl my fingers to turn up and down the volume like on the BMW. Thats just dumb. I also, specifically, wanted 19 wheels. Any car with 20+ inch wheels already had an uphill battle.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I’m the exact opposite. I want to feel every little bit of the road. I also hate body roll with a passion.
View Quote

I loved my Mini's. After driving the long haul to S. Louisiana, I wasn't so impressed. One trip in my Camry and I was sold. Not a road yacht, but night and day less tiring. They are famous for tiring roads, and to their credit have made large improvements in most places.
If I could have had both, I would have.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I test drove a Soul a few weeks ago. It does indeed have a terrible ride.

The Ridgeline I bought rides closer to my previous Lexus, it's not bad.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Sometimes I am half tempted to sell my Kia Soul with its 28mpg and get the last Lincoln town cars or another 45 year old piece of American pig iron.

Every time I go over a bump in practically any modern car save for a handful it feels like I am one Man being beaten around by 4 boxers.

Why does modern day bullshit have to be this way, Why did the late 80s/1990s obsession with "sport everything" have to happen, The obsession was so hard and so great for so long that nowadays even practically all premium makes ride like a brick with 4 wheels glued on.

I've had the good fortune to drive many different old cars and new ones even, from a seventies Rolls Royce to a DS with glorious hydropneumatic suspension to cheap ass crudely built fiat 500s, they just take it easily.

I've driven old cheap worthless garbage before oh trust me,  You're talking to to some weird fuck face whos favorite period in car history is from about 1973 to 1980ish, I am a automotive degenerate, I love malaise era American cars.

And when a horribly cheap, crude, pos Plymouth Volare can take a bump more gently and softly than anything comparatively to the same price in modern times well then you shouldn't be surprised if I feel disgusted and insulted.

I am just so tired of it, so fucking tired of it, Kia makes the closest thing I want but they ride like tanks, even fallen kings like Cadillac ride like shit.

I want the complete absence of roads feel, at an affordable price for the middle class man.

Decades ago you could get that easy, it was everywhere, now, no one builds that anymore, no one.

How doomed i am, to be a right wing Millennial pole smoker who listens to sad boy Boomer music and has Silent generation tastes!

Luckily I do have one saving grace the only industry in the entirety of the world that caters to my tastes because it has been mostly untouched by changing times is the gun industry, they still make brand new revolvers and double rifles, Double stack metal frame wood grip semi autos and good old side-by-side shotguns.

But if you want something like a brand new old style America car.

You, are doomed to nothing.
View Quote

Check the pressure in your car tires.  Your tires have a load range and your car has a weight.  Do the math and find a better tire pressure.  I keep my Crown Vic at 32 in the front and 30 in the back just to avoid that bump bump bump crap.  My 2002 Crown Vic gets 24 mpg with 10% ethanol gas at 70 mph.  I would not trade it off for anything.  I see no reason to keep 35 lbs of pressure in my tires except for one or two more miles per gallon.  I would rather have the nicer ride and sacrifice some mileage.   My 2018 Silverado has 32 lbs of pressure just to keep the warning light off.  Other than that, it would be less.

kwg
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Big American SUV’s still ride relatively smooth. Aside from that Cadillac and Mercedes are the only brands that don’t feel like they’re going to fall apart on bumps, and just their big cars at that.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Get an old fox chassis Mustang and call up Maximum Motorsports. You can have stable, predictable handling and good ride quality.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Aren't you a mechanic?  You should be familiar with the available solutions: Smaller rims thus more sidewall for a more compliant ride, softer springs, and less aggressively tuned struts/shocks.
View Quote

This. My suggestion with 225/60r15 tires would deliver both.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Those old cars sure do look nice, but they are death traps.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top