Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

AC power possibly if the wire is long and thin enough.

DC power doesn't like little wires and high current - you get what are called I-squared*R losses. That dang squared thing is expensive because as the DC current increases the losses go up by the square.

View Quote

I run 12 gauge wire for short runs on my racing drones.

For the small drones, 25 volt packs with 150+ amp burst rating is needed for the batteries as each ESC is a 45-65amp rating.   Upwards of 1500-2000g of thrust per motor on some builds with something that weighs 550-750g.

For my big shit, 32v and each ESC is rated for 80 amps.   Motors are 2hp each.  The same size "X-class" drone used by actual racers is 50volts with 4 120amp ESCs, think they are pulling 80-120 pounds of thrust.   4x 6s, 2 in series 2 in parallel, batteries lasts barely 2-3 minutes at full tilt.

Been somewhat out of it for 2 years building up my 66 Mustang.    But I am starting to fly more as the build nears completion.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a minor update.

I was on my way to the store on one of my motorcycles and I saw the daughters-friends-dad outside. I stopped to talk. He confirmed he told his neighbor who we were, and said it sounds like something stupid she would do. Apparently she threw quite a fit when they bought a trampoline for their kids, so she's a grade A karen.

He's going to ask her if she put the letter in my mailbox. I offered to let her come fly the drone if she wants to see how they work.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The DJI FPV can do 0-62 mph in 2 seconds.  

$1000 for the drone/battery/goggles, $200 new simple one hand controller ... nice.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]
My idiot neighbor got a drone a few years ago, decided to take the opportunity to peek into our upstairs bedroom window while my wife was in there.

Now we just keep the curtains closed all the time.  Thanks idiot.

Laws or no laws, drones have an appropriate time and place, flying around a suburban neighborhood over people's backyards is not one of them.

But I guess if you want all your neighbors to hate you, knock yourself out.  That thing better not fall in my backyard, if you ever see it again it won't be pretty.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

$1000 for the drone/battery/goggles, $200 new simple one hand controller ... nice.
View Quote

In manual mode it can do 90 MPH but I don't have the balls to try manual mode yet. I just tried sport mode on Saturday and its really fast already.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My idiot neighbor got a drone a few years ago, decided to take the opportunity to peek into our upstairs bedroom window while my wife was in there.

Laws or no laws, drones have an appropriate time and place, flying around a suburban neighborhood over people's backyards is not one of them.

But I guess if you want all your neighbors to hate you, knock yourself out.  That thing better not fall in my backyard, if you ever see it again it won't be pretty.
View Quote

There is a clear difference between purposely hovering to peek in a window versus flying 60 feet in the sky over back yards at 60 MPH.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
my guess is there is two sides to this story, as for public airspace I'd say any drone out of range of a 12 ga 3" mag is perfectly welcome in my airspace. within range fly at your own discretion?  seems pretty simple to me
View Quote

Up that to 3.5 and I’m with you. I think people with drones are weird and deserves any and all retaliation their neighbors deem fit.
If you want to be a drone pilot move to the country.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is also over weight and fragile for what it is.

The training wheels might be okay if that is what you want.

But if you want something with the nannies turned off...  

Actual FPV rigs with carbon fiber frames are the goto for a reason.
None of these crashes set me back for more than 5 minutes, changed a 5 dollar set of props and was up and running again

The DJI would be a scattered mess of parts with hits as hard as in the abovr video.

Can become almost comical seeing what it takes to break an FPV drone.

Lot of crashes go into getting this good.  Then more crashes to manage to turn simple flying into an art.
Another one of the best out there.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I would be pissed if someone was flying a drone over my place. If I was farther out in the country I would have no problem shooting it down.

If you're going to fly a drone, do it in a scenic place and stop buzzing your neighbors. Hopefully you don't end up with a bloody nose or have charges pressed by a  13 yr old's dad.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just a minor update.

I was on my way to the store on one of my motorcycles and I saw the daughters-friends-dad outside. I stopped to talk. He confirmed he told his neighbor who we were, and said it sounds like something stupid she would do. Apparently she threw quite a fit when they bought a trampoline for their kids, so she's a grade A karen.

He's going to ask her if she put the letter in my mailbox. I offered to let her come fly the drone if she wants to see how they work.
View Quote

Glad to read you still Dindu Nuffin.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Maybe you shouldn't have over paid?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait… so the ~$9k quadcopter (with 640 thermal) sitting in its case beside my desk right now is a “toy”?

Well, shit. I had no idea. Guess I’ll have to let the guy I’m doing a solar inspection for this week that I’m gonna have to cancel on him, since all I have is a “toy”.

Maybe you shouldn't have over paid?

Nah.

If it floats, fucks, or flies - it’s cheaper to rent than buy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You have a right to airspace and your neighbors have a first amendment right to express their disdain.  System seems to be working.
View Quote

Back to civics class for you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 2:23:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think people with drones are weird and deserves any and all retaliation their neighbors deem fit.
If you want to be a drone pilot move to the country.
View Quote

THE FEELZ
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 2:32:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would be pissed if someone was flying a drone over my place. If I was farther out in the country I would have no problem shooting it down.

If you're going to fly a drone, do it in a scenic place and stop buzzing your neighbors. Hopefully you don't end up with a bloody nose or have charges pressed by a  13 yr old's dad.
View Quote

Another guy projecting
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:03:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Going around trying to punch people in the face sound like a great way to get shot.   0/10, do not recommend.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:05:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just so I'm keeping up, you're uncomfortable sharing any photos or videos you took with your drone because you don't know what the intention of the person viewing that may be?

"Dur, I wonder why my neighbors are so concerned / upset that I'm flying this camera near their homes."

JFC lol
View Quote

Uh... are you saying his neighbors are worried he might find out where they live?

Do you know what doxxing even is?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:14:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Drive2Extremes: Taycan Cross Turismo x Johnny FPV

OP, let me know when your drone footage career is at the level.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#18]
How low were you?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sorry OP but I do not care what the rules are and that you are following them. In my opinion flying over the neighbors houses and yards is an invasion of privacy.  You want to have fun go to a park and zip it around.
View Quote

Do airplanes flying overhead also invade privacy?
No? Why not?
Altitude!
If op is flying high enough they shouldn't notice or hear it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:41:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How low were you?
View Quote

Over the cornfield, two or three feet above the crops at the lowest but usually between 20 and 30 above ground.

I don't have to fly over buildings to get into the field. If I do fly over a house, I'm always around 50-60 feet above the roof.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@MadeintheUSA try Etsy where they custom print them.

Happy Shopping

That mini smoke machine looks awesome!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where do I find one for my mini 2?

@MadeintheUSA try Etsy where they custom print them.

Happy Shopping

That mini smoke machine looks awesome!
@paul Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]
So I survived those first critical 24-hours resisting the purchase of a FVP.

I did take my Mini 2 out to stretch her legs.

I didn't fly over any of my neighbors.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Over the cornfield, two or three feet above the crops at the lowest but usually between 20 and 30 above ground.

I don't have to fly over buildings to get into the field. If I do fly over a house, I'm always around 50-60 feet above the roof.
View Quote

If you are at all to blame for the Karening, or at least for the dogs going crazy, it's that part.
Try 150-160 instead of 50-60.
But there may not be a way to fly the FPV in the same neighborhood of those dogs without causing upset.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you are at all to blame for the Karening, or at least for the dogs going crazy, it's that part.
But there may not be a way to fly the FPV in the same neighborhood of those dogs without causing upset.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'd fly a little higher if directly above houses.  I feel like your field flying is fine and warrants a "fuck off" for the Karen's complaining about it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What's the motor endurance on those... like if you fed them from a constant power supply?  

I think it'd be neat to run a medium-large 6-rotor surveillance drone a couple hundred feet over your house for persistent surveillance.  Hours or days at a time as needed.  Run a PTFE thin jacketed 240VAC 28AWG lines to it buddied up to some lightweight high-test fishing line and stick a a small transformer & rectifier up top.  Wire weight wouldnt be but a couple ounces and a transformer/rectifier wouldn't be bad either.

It wouldn't qualify or need licensed as a "drone" because it's tethered.
View Quote

@Millennial

Might be a dupe because I haven't read past your post, but check this out:  https://hoverflytech.com/
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yeah I'd fly a little higher if directly above houses.  I feel like your field flying is fine and warrants a "fuck off" for the Karen's complaining about it.
View Quote

He can always upgrade to a T30 (tanker, 30 liters) and hire himself to the corn grower as a chemical applicator.

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 4:06:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you haven't tried one yet and you're serious try a big plastic owl. My neighbor across the street had one and it worked wonders. It was pretty big, a good 14-18" tall and looked pretty real from street level. He had it on the eve right by his bedroom windows as the flying rats used to nest in the tiles there.

I've found if you can get a bald eagle breeding pair from the lake to hunt your property there aren't any pigeons left. Took a pheasant and crow too. The squirrels and bunnies are much more afraid the last few weeks too so I think something snagged some of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Not only would I do it but I would reply with "if I can chase the goddamn pidgeons off your roof I will do the leaves for free".
If you haven't tried one yet and you're serious try a big plastic owl. My neighbor across the street had one and it worked wonders. It was pretty big, a good 14-18" tall and looked pretty real from street level. He had it on the eve right by his bedroom windows as the flying rats used to nest in the tiles there.

I've found if you can get a bald eagle breeding pair from the lake to hunt your property there aren't any pigeons left. Took a pheasant and crow too. The squirrels and bunnies are much more afraid the last few weeks too so I think something snagged some of them.

Peregrine falcons are better than eagles for bird control-by a long shot.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Look if tHeY dOn'T oWn ThE aIrSpAcE either, and a homeowner's Basic Human RightTM to operate their AAA battery (and test it) costs someone a drone, tough shit right?

https://hazlitt.net/sites/default/files/gulfwar1.gif
ETA: Peak libertarianism?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It should be FAA law that land owners can shoot down drones flying over their land by use of shotguns only. Like that's the no go zone below a certain altitude. Fair is fair. Landowners taking back their personal airspace. Flying low over the neighborhood culdesac should be as hot with triple A as a night mission over Hanoi.

Look if tHeY dOn'T oWn ThE aIrSpAcE either, and a homeowner's Basic Human RightTM to operate their AAA battery (and test it) costs someone a drone, tough shit right?

I was about to say that. You should be free to fly your drone, and I should be free to blast it out of the sky if it gets too close to me/my family/my property.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I was about to say that. You should be free to fly your drone, and I should be free to blast it out of the sky if it gets too close to me/my family/my property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It should be FAA law that land owners can shoot down drones flying over their land by use of shotguns only. Like that's the no go zone below a certain altitude. Fair is fair. Landowners taking back their personal airspace. Flying low over the neighborhood culdesac should be as hot with triple A as a night mission over Hanoi.

With that philosophy, you should be able to drive whatever speed you want on the freeway, and I should be able to shoot out your tires and engine when you're not going fast enough for me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I feel the same way about drones as I do someone who stands at a second floor window with binoculars checking out other neighbors yards.

Perverts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

With that philosophy, you should be able to drive whatever speed you want on the freeway, and I should be able to shoot out your tires and engine when you're not going fast enough for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice false equivalency, still does not change the fact that flying too close to someone's house/property is perceived as creepy at best.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Nice false equivalency, still does not change the fact that flying too close to someone's house/property is perceived as creepy at best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is entirely equivalent: Someone is using the public space in a manner you don't like, so you resort to destroying their property.

Maybe you don't like someone riding their skateboard on the sidewalk in front of your house. Smash the skateboard?

Maybe you don't like someone parking their car in front of your business. Slash the tires?

Maybe you don't like the color of a persons mailbox. Burn it?

You don't live in a vacuum. If someone is following all applicable laws, you don't get to create your own arbitrary rules (such as "flying too close"... what exactly is too close?) and deal out justice. This is just further proof that many in GD don't actually like or enjoy freedom. Freedom is scary. We only like privileges for ourselves and everyone else can get fucked.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Peregrine falcons are better than eagles for bird control-by a long shot.
View Quote

I thought a Peregrine made an attack run on my DJI Mini a couple weeks ago, but now I think it was just a female Red Tail Hawk.
She was zooming through the trees at a high rate of speed, then gained altitude near the drone, then saw or heard something she didn't like and veered off.
I never would have known if I hadn't rotated and started shooting video behind me. Also wouldn't have known if I wasn't doing a slow motion replay looking at something else in the woods the day after it happened.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I feel the same way about drones as I do someone who stands at a second floor window with binoculars checking out other neighbors yards.

Perverts.
View Quote

Oh, yeah. For sure. I’m such a voyeur.

Check out this perverted shot I got:

I don’t think I’ve jacked off to that one yet, but I guess I could give it a shot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Are neighbors still mad?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dont be a creep and fly over your neighbors yards?

There are plenty of places you can fly a drone and not come off as a creeper.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Are neighbors still mad?
View Quote

If they are they haven't said anything to me. Daughter's friend's Dad text me a few days later and the Karen neighbor claimed she didn't know anything about it, but there hasn't been a followup letter or visit, and I still fly my drone around the field once or twice a week.

Oh well, maybe they got over it, or maybe Karen backed off when confronted about it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So I survived those first critical 24-hours resisting the purchase of a FVP.

I did take my Mini 2 out to stretch her legs.

I didn't fly over any of my neighbors.
View Quote

I bought the Air 2S buy more, fly more package with the smart-controller.

That controller is very impressive and I love the daylight bright screen.

The big 1" camera on the 2S is purrty

The Air 2S is substantially faster than the Mini-2. The 2S just rips through the sky like a squirrel running through a tree.

The 2S has a payload of about 500 grams and I've found the camera gimble points the camera straight bullseye down below the aircraft. I have a remote release on order and will be dropping darts from 400 feet before too long. I have to find the height gets the darts to terminal velocity. I wonder how deep into the ground/asphalt/concrete/safety helmet a tungsten dart will penetrate? I think I can drop about a dozen of the once ounce darts at once.

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No? Why not?
Altitude!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry OP but I do not care what the rules are and that you are following them. In my opinion flying over the neighbors houses and yards is an invasion of privacy.  You want to have fun go to a park and zip it around.

No? Why not?
Altitude!

Then he obviously wasn’t flying high enough because apparently they both saw and heard it.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:04:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How low were you?

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Someone transiting 60 feet above my place to look at the lake won’t even get a second glance.  Living on a lake with large boat access to the river that gets you to the ocean, you get used to other people enjoying the lake and the wildlife therein
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

You sound like a fun guy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The level of fear and ignorance of drones is amazing.

I think snakes are the only thing people are more afraid of irrationally here.

View Quote

What if...the drone dropped snakes?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Then he obviously wasn’t flying high enough because apparently they both saw and heard it.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No? Why not?
Altitude!

The DJI FPV is extremely loud, and can easily be heard at 400 AGL.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 11:47:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You don't live in a vacuum. If someone is following all applicable laws, you don't get to create your own arbitrary rules (such as "flying too close"... what exactly is too close?) and deal out justice. This is just further proof that many in GD don't actually like or enjoy freedom. Freedom is scary. We only like privileges for ourselves and everyone else can get fucked.
View Quote

The "king" decided it was Ok to fly the drone, and not Ok to shoot it down.  That's not actual freedom, that's government picking winners and losers.  It turns out some in GD like government intervening when it suits their needs, but not if the "king" suddenly were to decide I could pay a "tax" and obtain a drone hunting permit.....

Actual freedom would look more like: you fly a drone too close to me, or my house, or my dog -- even after I asked you not to, and I'll shoot it down.  When you come to me crying about it, I'll buy you a new one, and again request you keep it away from me.  If you fly it near me again, I will shoot it down again.  Repeat, ad nausem.

THAT would represent actual freedom for both parties.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

What do you mean by "over"?

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I bought the Air 2S buy more, fly more package with the smart-controller.

That controller is very impressive and I love the daylight bright screen.

The big 1" camera on the 2S is purrty

The Air 2S is substantially faster than the Mini-2. The 2S just rips through the sky like a squirrel running through a tree.

The 2S has a payload of about 500 grams and I've found the camera gimble points the camera straight bullseye down below the aircraft. I have a remote release on order and will be dropping darts from 400 feet before too long. I have to find the height gets the darts to terminal velocity. I wonder how deep into the ground/asphalt/concrete/safety helmet a tungsten dart will penetrate? I think I can drop about a dozen of the once ounce darts at once.

View Quote

Want a job plucking a 240g Mini 2 out of a 130' tree?
Turns out flying sideways over the woods this morning at 123' was not a good idea.
Camera still works, but I can't move the gimbal.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74968/DD16498D-AD78-4875-9E79-BE19376D8868-2459975.jpg

I don’t think I’ve jacked off to that one yet, but I guess I could give it a shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perverts.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74968/DD16498D-AD78-4875-9E79-BE19376D8868-2459975.jpg

The "logical right" is so smart. Nothing like the "emotional left/women".
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:46:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It is also over weight and fragile for what it is.

The training wheels might be okay if that is what you want.

But if you want something with the nannies turned off...  

Actual FPV rigs with carbon fiber frames are the goto for a reason.
None of these crashes set me back for more than 5 minutes, changed a 5 dollar set of props and was up and running again

The DJI would be a scattered mess of parts with hits as hard as in the abovr video.

Can become almost comical seeing what it takes to break an FPV drone.

Lot of crashes go into getting this good.  Then more crashes to manage to turn simple flying into an art.
Another one of the best out there.

View Quote
That dude can fly....
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#49]
So keep flying your drone in your neighborhood and piss off the neighbors.  Then when you have an issue with the drone and need to retrieve it those neighbors will be happy to help you out.  Bikers have a right to be on the road with cars too, but who wins when something goes wrong.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Like I said earlier, 60 feet over that one house seems pretty reasonable to me
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top