BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

(snip)

In the end, I just got a chuckle out of it.    Perhaps I need a Rolex to spare me the next indignity.  
View Quote

It might, but before we go further I have to ask… Do you have any resemblance to John Fetterman? I mean a tool watch can only do so much.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You're seriously surprised that a website full of gear queers is into high fashion luxury goods?  All you have to do is look through the clone threads to realize that arfcomers are willing to spend money to get the look they want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are going Waaay back in history to make that connection. WW-II, Korea, maybe Vietnam.   Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's like saying you wear a Codpiece, because Henry the Eight sported one.    
I work with guys who were military pilots in the 70's, 80's and 90's.   Each earns a Rolex or two, a month, but very few wore, or wear one today.   I read that one of the airlines used to give a Rolex to each pilot?  Panam, I think.   Back in the clipper era.  Those days are long gone. Lol.

Of the military pilots I know, which is a whole helluva lot because I am one, I can maybe name two that would be into a Rolex.

Of the SF or Operator types I know, I can't name one.

Most arfcommers seem to be built in that same archetype.

High fashion luxury items just wouldn't seem to be something many of us would be into, but I seem to be wrong about that. It was so surprising to me I figured I would start a thread to discuss it.

Like I said, it's way more fun to talk about than Trump, COVID, Biden, or Ukraine.

You're seriously surprised that a website full of gear queers is into high fashion luxury goods?  All you have to do is look through the clone threads to realize that arfcomers are willing to spend money to get the look they want.
Lol so true. And I love the decked out rifles that have clearly never even been outside let alone fired.

I've said it in other watch threads before, but not 1 in 1,000 people will ever notice what's on your wrist, and even less will care anyway. I'm a watch nerd with eagle-like vision and I frequently can't tell what's on someone's wrist from across the table.

Watches are the loneliest hobby. You've got to love and appreciate them for yourself because no one else will, unless of course you post pics in a GD thread

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
no one cares what watch you are wearing, besides watch nerds.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, you are just wired different.  I am too.  While I have the wife driving a 2021 Tahoe with all the trimmings, I drive a beat up 2002 Dodge Dakota that I could leave the keys in, and no one would steal.   It gets me where I need to go, and is reliable.  I wear a $60 Timex that I have had for 12 years.  

Some people need to show they are successful or have "made it" by wearing it literally on their sleeve.  And good for them.  I wear 20 year old jeans, and I have simple tastes.  But I buy what I want, when I want it, I know I can afford it, and I take great vacations, and spend my money on that.  

So I will leave it at that.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don’t give up the dream, my dude.  
https://www.j-14.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Danielle-Fishel-son-health.jpg?fit=1600%2C1213

What have ya got to lose?
View Quote

half my 401k and seeing my kids every day instead of every other weekend

otherwise whoever pulled me out of there would be crowned King Arthur
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why does anyone buy a 911 or M5 when a Kia does the same thing cheaper?
View Quote

To drive Fast, waaaay too Fast.      

For the rule abiding crowd, it’s just a conspicuous display of wealth.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've never understood them being aspirational, at least to middle-class dudes. Like...if you have the money and its no big deal, then have at it. They're neat watches. The part I can't wrap my head around, is (some guys) spending 3+ months income on one, even if they dutifully socked away a little cash for it each month. I've always likened this to middle-class rich guy Cosplay.

To each his own, though. I ain't yer papa.
View Quote

My take on them being aspirational…

I went through a vintage watch phase while learning to work on watches. Unlike most collectors I liked the watches with dedication engravings related to time with an employer. I found lots of non-running Omegas and Rolex Air-Kings with 20 and 25 year dedications. Grand dad’s watch was “earned” with “service.” (I tried to re-home some of those, unsuccessfully.)

The 80’s instant gratification came along and the meaning of “You’ve earned it” got bent a little. More people started treating themselves. Yuppies bought their trophies. Rolex has controlled supply which allowed a secondary market to service demand and commoditize the product. If you need cash a Rolex can be traded just about anywhere in the world…
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Watches are the loneliest hobby. You've got to love and appreciate them for yourself because no one else will, unless of course you post pics in a GD thread

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384595/IMG_20221116_122459_jpg-2602300.JPG
View Quote

I think that’s what finally brought all these threads to the fore.
Lonely watch guys post pics for the exact same reason the “What are you drinking?” Threads exist.    It’s a way of providing mutual support and gratification.

Meanwhile, the normies have been seeing these Watchflex pics for so long, and each time, they can’t help but think: “Damn, all my peeps have Rolexes, what am I missing here?
Am I not rich enough?
Am I not Manly enough?
Am I not Sporting enough?
These guys seem really happy, Do I Need a Rolex to feel complete?  
Thousands of tiny flexes, operating on an almost subconscious level.

Arf conned me into buying airfryers and machetes, and a Diesel Jetta and Colorado and a bunch of tactical bags, in just such a way. It’s dangerous, I tells ya!
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:20:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think that’s what finally brought all these threads to the fore.   The normies have been seeing these Watchflex pics for so long, and each time, they can’t help but think: “Damn, all my peeps have Rolexes, what am I missing here?
Am I not rich enough?
Am I not Manly enough?

Arf conned me into buying airfryers and machetes, and a Diesel Jetta and Colorado and a bunch of tactical bags, in just such a way. It’s dangerous, I tells ya!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've said it in other watch threads before, but not 1 in 1,000 people will ever notice what's on your wrist, and even less will care anyway. I'm a watch nerd with eagle-like vision and I frequently can't tell what's on someone's wrist from across the table.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/384595/IMG_20221116_122459_jpg-2602300.JPG

I think that’s what finally brought all these threads to the fore.   The normies have been seeing these Watchflex pics for so long, and each time, they can’t help but think: “Damn, all my peeps have Rolexes, what am I missing here?
Am I not rich enough?
Am I not Manly enough?

Social media doing social media things.  Forums are at least topic oriented and require you to click.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Buying a 10k jetski is not uncommon - but how many hours a year are most actually used...

Buying 10k of guns and optics (especially if you are adding thermal or NV) is not uncommon - how many hours a year are they used.

Buying 10k of kayaks in a year is probably more uncommon, but honestly the people who do that probably use the shit out of them.

I do know one thing, I will easily wear a Rolex more hours in most weeks than I would use a jetski, guns, or kayaks in a year.
View Quote

The difference though between a luxury watch - and specifically the Rolex sub- and XYZ other product (Guns, boats, NODS, etc) is there are no real lower cost functional substitutes for a PSV14 or AR15 or Kayak.

Whereas the Rolex Submariner, alternatives at a fraction of the cost that retain identical or even superior functionality and near identical aesthetics abound.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The difference though between a luxury watch - and specifically the Rolex sub- and XYZ other product (Guns, boats, NODS, etc) is there are no real lower cost functional substitutes for a PSV14 or AR15 or Kayak.

Whereas the Rolex Submariner, alternatives at a fraction of the cost that retain identical or even superior functionality and near identical aesthetics abound.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-e31c8/product_images/uploaded_images/casio-bill-gates.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buying a 10k jetski is not uncommon - but how many hours a year are most actually used...

Buying 10k of guns and optics (especially if you are adding thermal or NV) is not uncommon - how many hours a year are they used.

Buying 10k of kayaks in a year is probably more uncommon, but honestly the people who do that probably use the shit out of them.

I do know one thing, I will easily wear a Rolex more hours in most weeks than I would use a jetski, guns, or kayaks in a year.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-e31c8/product_images/uploaded_images/casio-bill-gates.jpg

To be fair, there are CEOs that wear Rolexes.  Warren Buffet wears one.

https://watchranker.com/ceo-watches-they-wear/
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My iPhone has 100x more functionality than your Garmin, and 1000x more functionality than a Rolex.

Never understood the desire of watches, they suck to wear on your wrist.

Now I’ll go sit in the corner and STFU.

View Quote

The Apple watch adds a lot of functionality to the iPhone. So it's useful to wear.
Traditional watches are just jewelry.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've never understood them being aspirational, at least to middle-class dudes. Like...if you have the money and its no big deal, then have at it. They're neat watches. The part I can't wrap my head around, is (some guys) spending 3+ months income on one, even if they dutifully socked away a little cash for it each month. I've always likened this to middle-class rich guy Cosplay.

To each his own, though. I ain't yer papa.
View Quote

I could easily sell some guns and buy the Rolex I want. I don't think anyone here would think it's crazy that I have extra guns, but some think putting that same money into something I use every day is crazy.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I have two friends that rock Rolexes. They can afford it. There are far more things I would rather have than an expensive watch. I'm quite content with my Titanium Eco Drive ($200 on closeout lol),

I don't see a person who wears a Rolex as being wealthy. I COULD buy one but I'm definitely not wealthy. I see wealth in a person who has a collection of Rolexes.

One of my buddies has a collection. He also has plenty of guns, plenty of land, plenty of garages filled with millions of dollars worth of bikes and cars, 2 beach houses and a lake house.

That is real wealth.  Or is it ?  He's miserable because the love of his life passed away at 54 and he's lost without her.

If buying a Rolex makes you feel like you've achieved a milestone in life, buy it. Who cares what everyone else thinks. But you're only kidding yourself if you wear it thinking people are envious of your wealth. Because they aren't.

I used to know 3 people that wore them. I only know 2 now because one of them pulled into a store one night to grab smokes and was killed in the parking lot after he walked back out  (for his watch )

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Since everyone claims to have billionaire friends...the homes on the lake to the left and right of our condo start at $2.5M, and go up. Way up. Everyone has higher-end cars, though I'm unsure of what qualifies as "flashy". Nobody is poor-mouthing (it's a southern expression) in an 8 year old Camry. I've never done a watch inventory, but I've seen a wide variety of chronographs, and a couple of FitBits, or whatever they're called. As these are summer homes for most of them they do have some amazingly expensive toys. The rage this summer was the electric "Lift Foil"...a wakeboard of sorts with its own propulsion that rides you two feet up out of the water. They run about $13K.

The one common denominator? No one talks about their stuff, or the cost, or their money. It's a taboo that would get you uninvited to the party circuit very quickly. When you only spend a month or two a year in your condo I(we live in ours year round) or lake house, it kind of goes without saying you probably aren't struggling. If you buy a Rolex, keep your mouth shut about it unless asked. If you're buying one to rub under people's noses, you're doing it wrong.
View Quote
@Osprey61

I laughed because who does this - who runs home or gets on the phone and checks the tax records? Srsly?

But if you did, in many affluent areas you're gonna find shit like MB  & CB & Co Trustee, ACK Ltd or Fleur de Lis LLC as well as property held personally. Often the ownership/control doesn't correlate to holder of title, intentionally. Is it their primary or something they own personally for a mistress, black sheep brother or some other reason that has no bearing on assets or income.

Or you have the guy who lives in the same house he moved into in the 60s when he started his biz. Lol - I have a pretty good idea his holdings, his firms a recognized name in most of the Midwest, but only a small idea his net worth. It's significant but his residence would give no clue. His kids homes tho, would.

In the end nobody really cares. There were some very nice people who went out of their way to welcome us in a building where we were by far the youngest and somewhat out of place. It wasn't until shortly later after 9/11 it became apparent their ties to Cantor Fitzgerald. It made a slight adjustment in my appraisal of their kindness, but only in that it put light on their understated situation.

There's so many different situations virtually nothing peeps here use as a gauge is helpful.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah but does your watch tell time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This thread will go the same way every other watch thread goes:

1.  Expensive watches are jewelry! I hate them!
2.  Only people who want to flex wear expensive watches! I hate them!
3.  My Casio does it 100x better. I hate people who don't wear Casio! (With a sub-class of G-Shock 'master race' fanbois)
4.  My Apple watch is better than everything else. I hate people who don't wear Apple!
5.  My smart phone is better than everything else. I hate watches!
6.  I hate people who aren't like me! I'd rather spend the money on ${OTHER_THING}!

The answer is simple; Don't open a thread about watches if you don't like watches.

m
View Quote

I can't help but notice your list inadvertently betrays a mentality that is indeed in all of these threads, hat somehow Rolex equates to "liking watches" and "expensive watches."

Other watches, far more exclusive and sophisticated, have been mentioned or shown in this thread.

It's hard not to perceive a constant conceit of "you can't afford it" or "you can't appreciate it" among Rolex people and one you simply don't see with other watches.

I can't help but think that correlates with the self image (or insecurities) of those who gravitate toward the brand lately.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#19]
It's funny all the non watch people in this thread seem to imply people only buy rolexes to show off, and all the watch people say nobody gives a shit or even notices what they're wearing.

I'm sure there are a lot of people going for status, but there are at least just as many that just appreciate the craftsmanship of a nice automatic watch.

I'm not a watch guy, just an observation of the thread.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A Rolex watch is a nearly universal signal of wealth.  It's not hard to understand.
View Quote

LoL!
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Rolex in '97 for $2700. I can sell it today for $10k. I wear it when I go out because it's one of the toughest things I own. It means a lot cuz I've had it at my wedding, my grandmother's funeral, my graduation, the birth of both my kids. When I die I'll give it to my son along w/ any guns that haven't been lost in a boating accident.

When doing business with someone I want to know 2 things: 1) Does this guy know his shit. and 2) Do other people think he knows his shit. Appearance in those cases are important.

I worked with a guy who had a consulting firm on the side. He and his wife waited years for the company to take off. One day he said fuck it and bought a mercedes sl something. Only then did customers start taking him seriously and his business took off. I'm no longer a car guy but it's the same concept. Not hard to understand.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s remarkable, is how cheap the watches are on that list.  With the possible exception of the Japanese guy.    Warren is a product of that magical age in America, 50’s through early 70’s, which has been mentioned in this thread.    Back then, a Rolex was the symbol of “success with practicality”.  
A lot of the collectors here, were inspired by such men, and wear Rolexes as a sort of Tribute to the memories of those men, and those times.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:50:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Huh, I'm around fairly affluent peeps on occasion. More than I'd like really. Seems the venue is the differentiator.

I'm at a particular Ritz often - it's Bentley, Rolls, Maybach, Ferrari in the lot. Lot of locals. More often then not if I notice it's a Rolex. Most of the nice resorts, same. Various business award ceremonies and always status flashes at charity events.  

That's when I've tended to notice. Hublot with a certain crowd, or Hublot like, they're distinguishable, but could have been Piguet with the screws. Maybe a few Patek or Blancpain, but I'd be assuming since I'm not sure the visual cues. Couple of guys Ive met who should have heft, NFI what was on their wrist.  I've seen plenty of black plastic too -  but not at events.

I'll start keeping count tho, because I'm now interested in the distribution.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Rolex watch is a nearly universal signal of wealth.  It's not hard to understand.

Most people I know that own Rolexes, shouldn't.

I have found that people without money will try to get everyone to believe they have money, and those with money will try to get everyone to believe they don't have money.

I work a nice white collar job, and know easily 500 people that make 150k+/yr. I can think of zero that own a Rolex.

I know about a dozen people that own a Rolex and they universally make less than six figures.

YMMV.

A lot of truth to that, people I know who wear Rolex aren't what I'd consider rich. Rich people I've come across don't typically wear Rolex.

I share that stereotype. Rolexes are what people wear who desperately want other people to think they are successful. Not sure how the brand got that image, but it's there. It's up there with Gucci, Louis Vuitton, etc. as what poor people think rich people get.

A simple look at what the market in fakes is selling is often a good indicator of brands that have gone this route.

Huh, I'm around fairly affluent peeps on occasion. More than I'd like really. Seems the venue is the differentiator.

I'm at a particular Ritz often - it's Bentley, Rolls, Maybach, Ferrari in the lot. Lot of locals. More often then not if I notice it's a Rolex. Most of the nice resorts, same. Various business award ceremonies and always status flashes at charity events.  

That's when I've tended to notice. Hublot with a certain crowd, or Hublot like, they're distinguishable, but could have been Piguet with the screws. Maybe a few Patek or Blancpain, but I'd be assuming since I'm not sure the visual cues. Couple of guys Ive met who should have heft, NFI what was on their wrist.  I've seen plenty of black plastic too -  but not at events.

I'll start keeping count tho, because I'm now interested in the distribution.

That could be an interesting experiment. Would also be interesting to collect data on watches relative to cars driven, and see if there's a pattern.

But with cars like that, you likely aren't talking about people who think of their wealth in terms of "salary," either. So, a totally different crowd even from the original thread noted here (has anyone posted a link yet?).
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@Osprey61

I laughed because who does this - who runs home or gets on the phone and checks the tax records? Srsly?

But if you did, in many affluent areas you're gonna find shit like MB  & CB & Co Trustee, ACK Ltd or Fleur de Lis LLC as well as property held personally. Often the ownership/control doesn't correlate to holder of title, intentionally. Is it their primary or something they own personally for a mistress, black sheep brother or some other reason that has no bearing on assets or income.

Or you have the guy who lives in the same house he moved into in the 60s when he started his biz. Lol - I have a pretty good idea his holdings, his firms a recognized name in most of the Midwest, but only a small idea his net worth. It's significant but his residence would give no clue. His kids homes tho, would.

In the end nobody really cares. There were some very nice people who went out of their way to welcome us in a building where we were by far the youngest and somewhat out of place. It wasn't until shortly later after 9/11 it became apparent their ties to Cantor Fitzgerald. It made a slight adjustment in my appraisal of their kindness, but only in that it put light on their understated situation. There's so many different situations virtually nothing peeps here use as a gauge is helpful.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since everyone claims to have billionaire friends...the homes on the lake to the left and right of our condo start at $2.5M, and go up. Way up. Everyone has higher-end cars, though I'm unsure of what qualifies as "flashy". Nobody is poor-mouthing (it's a southern expression) in an 8 year old Camry. I've never done a watch inventory, but I've seen a wide variety of chronographs, and a couple of FitBits, or whatever they're called. As these are summer homes for most of them they do have some amazingly expensive toys. The rage this summer was the electric "Lift Foil"...a wakeboard of sorts with its own propulsion that rides you two feet up out of the water. They run about $13K.

The one common denominator? No one talks about their stuff, or the cost, or their money. It's a taboo that would get you uninvited to the party circuit very quickly. When you only spend a month or two a year in your condo I(we live in ours year round) or lake house, it kind of goes without saying you probably aren't struggling. If you buy a Rolex, keep your mouth shut about it unless asked. If you're buying one to rub under people's noses, you're doing it wrong.
@Osprey61

In the end nobody really cares. There were some very nice people who went out of their way to welcome us in a building where we were by far the youngest and somewhat out of place. It wasn't until shortly later after 9/11 it became apparent their ties to Cantor Fitzgerald. It made a slight adjustment in my appraisal of their kindness, but only in that it put light on their understated situation. There's so many different situations virtually nothing peeps here use as a gauge is helpful.

I work with a guy that looks up tax records of coworkers, especially their home records. It's really annoying.

He takes it a step further and thinks it's normal to ask people about it because "it's all public record anyway".
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I work with a guy that looks up tax records of coworkers, especially their home records. It's really annoying.

He takes it a step further and thinks it's normal to ask people about it because "it's all public record anyway".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Osprey61

Good god.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What’s remarkable, is how cheap the watches are on that list.  With the possible exception of the Japanese guy.    Warren is a product of that magical age in America, 50’s through early 70’s, which has been mentioned in this thread.    Back then, a Rolex was the symbol of “success with practicality”.  
A lot of the collectors here, were inspired by such men, and wear Rolexes as a sort of Tribute to the memories of those men, and those times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t see a list of cheap watches.  I see a list demonstrating what Gates once told a person who asked him what it’s like being rich.  “It’s the same hamburger.”  In this case, after a certain point (that point being new Rolex disposable income territory) it’s the same watch, and people select a particular watch for their own irrational reasons.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Good god.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Osprey61

Good god.

You'd think but some dude just suggested it here! Again

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I can't help but notice your list inadvertently betrays a mentality that is indeed in all of these threads, hat somehow Rolex equates to "liking watches" and "expensive watches."

Other watches, far more exclusive and sophisticated, have been mentioned or shown in this thread.

It's hard not to perceive a constant conceit of "you can't afford it" or "you can't appreciate it" among Rolex people and one you simply don't see with other watches.

I can't help but think that correlates with the self image (or insecurities) of those who gravitate toward the brand lately.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread will go the same way every other watch thread goes:

1.  Expensive watches are jewelry! I hate them!
2.  Only people who want to flex wear expensive watches! I hate them!
3.  My Casio does it 100x better. I hate people who don't wear Casio! (With a sub-class of G-Shock 'master race' fanbois)
4.  My Apple watch is better than everything else. I hate people who don't wear Apple!
5.  My smart phone is better than everything else. I hate watches!
6.  I hate people who aren't like me! I'd rather spend the money on ${OTHER_THING}!

The answer is simple; Don't open a thread about watches if you don't like watches.

m

I didn't say anything about Rolex in the post you quoted.  Read what I wrote; the only point I tried to make is that these threads always devolve into a few camps: People who like nice watches, people who "can't understand spending anything over $10 on a watch", the 'But ma phone!' types, and the ones who 'call out' those who buy nice watches as posers. Basically, people like to shit in threads.

Rolex (as well as Omega, Breitling...) is entry level high-end - there are plenty of other brands that are significantly higher-end, with significantly higher price tags. Like anything else, there are people who buy Rolex because they like the particular watch - GMT Masters, Subs, Explorers - and there are plenty of posers too. Every brand has that.

m

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That could be an interesting experiment. Would also be interesting to collect data on watches relative to cars driven, and see if there's a pattern.

But with cars like that, you likely aren't talking about people who think of their wealth in terms of "salary," either. So, a totally different crowd even from the original thread noted here (has anyone posted a link yet?).
View Quote

This is suspiciously starting to sound like work.

But yea, people confuse wealth and income almost as often as they conflate ownership and control.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I read the first page of replies here....great responses....then went looking for the "Rolex" salary thread......can't find it....can't search GD.   I feel like I only have half the story......
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I read the first page of replies here....great responses....then went looking for the "Rolex" salary thread......can't find it....can't search GD.   I feel like I only have half the story......
View Quote

Here you go.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Meh, with the watch I can read tests, see whose calling, etc just by looking at my watch, which is way less rude than pulling out my phone.
View Quote

Yeah, not really. You're just replacing one compulsion with another. Rationalize it all you like; the wrist phone is just more convenient.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:49:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go.

Thank you!

I don't want to admit how long I looked for that.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thank you!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go.

Thank you!

I have wasted 100 high end Rolexes worth of time, in threads just like this.    Not proud of it, but not exceptionally ashamed of it either.  It just is.     Therapy and entertainment I guess.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I have wasted 100 high end Rolexes worth of time, in threads just like this.    Not proud of it, but not exceptionally ashamed of it either.  It just is.     Therapy and entertainment I guess.  
View Quote

Can’t put a price on your health and happiness.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm telling you, a lot of what you read about luxury brands online, is really just middle-class rich guy Cosplay.

They're emulating the outward behaviors of the wealthy, without realizing that the people they're emulating just think of their watch (or their car) as "Pretty nifty - I like it!", without much additional thought. These are not aspirational purchases for this crowd. They just like them, and they have the money.

Bringing this back to "mere mortal" status, I'm an "upper-middle class" dude who loves cooking. So if you poke around my kitchen, you'll find many of those trappings - the "best" cookware, "high-end" appliances, "artisan" knives, and so forth. Whatever. But here's the thing (and I think it applies to watches...and cars...) - NONE OF THIS stretched my finances. At all. Not even a little. All of them were completely inconsequential. They mean fuck-all. These were not "aspirational" to me - I just liked them, and I bought them. They're nice.

But if you came to me (comfortable, but not a wealthy man) as a lower-middle class dude and said "Man... someday, I hope to be able to own a complete set of All-Clad pots and pans - I'm saving my money for it right now" I'd go "Why? It's not going to make you a better cook. Whatever money you're setting aside each month to be able to pull this off, would be far better spent invested in a broad index fund. It's the Indian, not the arrow. None of this horseshit actually matters. Keep some perspective. This is all bullshit, man."

Middle-class rich guy Cosplay. I'm telling you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm telling you, a lot of what you read about luxury brands online, is really just middle-class rich guy Cosplay.

They're emulating the outward behaviors of the wealthy, without realizing that the people they're emulating just think of their watch (or their car) as "Pretty nifty - I like it!", without much additional thought. These are not aspirational purchases for this crowd. They just like them, and they have the money.

Bringing this back to "mere mortal" status, I'm an "upper-middle class" dude who loves cooking. So if you poke around my kitchen, you'll find many of those trappings - the "best" cookware, "high-end" appliances, "artisan" knives, and so forth. Whatever. But here's the thing (and I think it applies to watches...and cars...) - NONE OF THIS stretched my finances. At all. Not even a little. All of them were completely inconsequential. They mean fuck-all. These were not "aspirational" to me - I just liked them, and I bought them. They're nice.

But if you came to me (comfortable, but not a wealthy man) as a lower-middle class dude and said "Man... someday, I hope to be able to own a complete set of All-Clad pots and pans - I'm saving my money for it right now" I'd go "Why? It's not going to make you a better cook. Whatever money you're setting aside each month to be able to pull this off, would be far better spent invested in a broad index fund. It's the Indian, not the arrow. None of this horseshit actually matters. Keep some perspective. This is all bullshit, man."

Having now discovered that other thread, I see where neshomamench made a point related to this which I hadn't considered.

.. Rolexes attract social climbers....and they want something from you (and you will get endless MLM pitches or worse....)

I have one "social group" for lack of a better term where "that type" can manifest. I make a point of wearing my Mickey Mouse watch whenever attending events with such people. It has a way of avoiding conversations.

Daily wear is my Seiko Astron (quartz, solar, and perpetual calendar for the MFing win!). I have some decent automatics, but tend to only wear them when I'm in the mood to put up with the extra headache.

I hadn't considered that, by participating in the cosplay, you get others who might associate all the nonsense with a given brand that others want to flex, with you. No thanks, the last thing I need is some social climber to think I'm a possible worthwhile connection.

Peripherally...

I'm a bit of a weird egg. I like watches, I have dozens... but I don't tend to like "watch people." I guess it's the same for me as the "driver" threads here. Too many people seem to wrap their whole identity or personality around some possession they bought, and I just find it boring if not outright distasteful. Add to that the subtle efforts by some to imply their purchase indicates special status or taste, and I just want to disengage.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ain’t that the sad truth! Lol.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don’t see a list of cheap watches.  I see a list demonstrating what Gates once told a person who asked him what it’s like being rich.  “It’s the same hamburger.”  In this case, after a certain point (that point being new Rolex disposable income territory) it’s the same watch, and people select a particular watch for their own irrational reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see a list of rich people that are mostly not watch guys
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's sad you put that much thought into what people spend their money on
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Correction necessary here:

There's no such thing as "20 year old top shelf pussy." A 20 year old is just a kid and doesn't even know how to use the damn thing. Thirty-five and up is the sweet spot, and although I realize others may have a different sweet spot, it ain't ever gonna be a 20 year old unless you're just a kid yourself.

"20 year old top shelf pussy" Jesus fucking Christ...
View Quote

Sorry sir I'm going to have to revoke your 'alpha male certification'.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#42]
why people wear very expensive watches ?

Because it's considered vulgar to wear your bank statement on your head

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Well... I can think of worse things to cosplay as.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Having now discovered that other thread, I see where neshomamench made a point related to this which I hadn't considered.

I have one "social group" for lack of a better term where "that type" can manifest. I make a point of wearing my Mickey Mouse watch whenever attending events with such people. It has a way of avoiding conversations.

Daily wear is my Seiko Astron (quartz, solar, and perpetual calendar for the MFing win!). I have some decent automatics, but tend to only wear them when I'm in the mood to put up with the extra headache.

I hadn't considered that, by participating in the cosplay, you get others who might associate all the nonsense with a given brand that others want to flex, with you. No thanks, the last thing I need is some social climber to think I'm a possible worthwhile connection.

Peripherally...

I'm a bit of a weird egg. I like watches, I have dozens... but I don't tend to like "watch people." I guess it's the same for me as the "driver" threads here. Too many people seem to wrap their whole identity or personality around some possession they bought, and I just find it boring if not outright distasteful. Add to that the subtle efforts by some to imply their purchase indicates special status or taste, and I just want to disengage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.. Rolexes attract social climbers....and they want something from you (and you will get endless MLM pitches or worse....)

Peripherally...

Social climbers are the worst! I design my life around being found unworthy.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The differences in response to projective tests are certainly interesting.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#47]
I stopped reading around page 6 so if this was already covered my apologies, but OP is a sick sucking fag and idiot.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I’m a watch guy. I’d rather have a have a Nomos, Grand Seiko, Zenith, Jaeger-LeCoultre, or Tudor before a Rolex. In my experience most Rolex guys aren’t really watch guys. It’s a status symbol. Look at YouTube videos of Grand Seiko’s under high magnification compared to a Rolex under the same magnification. It’s not even close.
View Quote

Some of those Grand Seikos make my already tight pants tighter.
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Somebody making $15/hr is going to judge me on spending $230 on a fuckin' skillet I don't need, the same way I'm going to judge somebody passively earning $10M a year, on spending $15k on a nice watch they don't need.

None of it matters. The middle-class guy is going "Dude...you can totally cook with far less" (he's right) and the wealthy dude is going "Dude...you can totally keep time with far less" (he's also right). Neither of them really give a shit. The arguments are between middle-class rich guy Cosplay dudes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's sad you put that much thought into what people spend their money on
Somebody making $15/hr is going to judge me on spending $230 on a fuckin' skillet I don't need, the same way I'm going to judge somebody passively earning $10M a year, on spending $15k on a nice watch they don't need.

None of it matters. The middle-class guy is going "Dude...you can totally cook with far less" (he's right) and the wealthy dude is going "Dude...you can totally keep time with far less" (he's also right). Neither of them really give a shit. The arguments are between middle-class rich guy Cosplay dudes.

Some people spend money on something they enjoy. It isn't cosplay.

Just because someone has to save for a while doesn't mean they aren't saving discretionary funds and it doesn't mean retirement and savings didn't come first.

Link Posted: 11/16/2022 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I could afford a Rolex if I wanted one, but I prefer $20 Casio watches. I'm like a little kid. I can't wear fancy stuff because it would get destroyed in a week.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top