Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Fuck Cancer.

Kick it’s ass!
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Hoping for the best for you.

Can you describe the lesions you thought were just dry skin?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have to start iv chemo, buy stock in Hagen Daz or Ben and Jerry's.  It will help you keep on weight, and tastes better than most things coming up.  Lack of weight loss has a correlation (not causation) with a positive outcome.

Prayers sent on the biopsy results.
View Quote
Is that true about weight loss?

I have the 5th round of hyper-cvad next weekend, 4 days of iv chemo every 3-4 weeks. I initially lost about 40 pounds but have gained 10 back in the last 2 weeks.

I can't eat things loaded with sugar due to diabetes and the steroids that come with treatment.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope you feel more better soon
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Prayers inbound, one of my 1st threads was ama my 1st day of chemo! ARF gave me something to look forward to posting every day and it really helped me thru it...GodSpeed....

ETA...I didnt lose wt, dr. Said eat and I did, couldn't taste shit BUT eat what you know and your mind will fill in the blanks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Prayers up for you.

As I get older, getting sick is about the only thing I worry about.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck, I'm on a yearly dermatologist program and have a bunch of A-Ks under my belt. Nothing more serious than that.....so far.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, fluorouracil is commonly called 5-FU by physicians, even those who don't even know any swear words.

5-FU sounds like a drug name that all of ARFcom would appreciate
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My dad had basil cell cut out 10 years ago but the spot on his nose kept changing. Doc blew it off but eventually - way too long - he determined it was cancer and deep. They removed his nose two years ago, at least most of it, cut a flap from his forehead to his neck and folded it over his face. a few months later they shaped it into a new nose.

He's the same dad I always looked at my whole life. This was upper Michigan hospitals, not some world class hollywood plastic surgery boutique.

It'll look like shit for a while but it does heal. Best of luck in beating it.
My wife had triple negative breast cancer on 04. Very aggressive. She's snoring on the couch next to me now.
View Quote
FIL went through the same thing last year.  It looks great now with a minor scar across his nose.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Prayers  out !  Kick its ass !

Fuck Cancer
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank god I seen this post. I have had this lesion for years and never thought twice about it. I figured it was possibly dermatitis as I have mild dermatitis on my face. This spot is sometimes itchy. Sometimes it would bleed a little from scratching. After googling, it sure looks suspicious. Thankfully this post got me to schedule an appointment with a dermatologist tomorrow. Good luck brother.

https://ibb.co/6mTDwTY

https://ibb.co/jZGjjKq

These are of the lesion on my hand. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Good luck, OP.

F cancer
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Hope you heal up quick!
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Prayers out for you. My wife has been undergoing chemo since last October. Breast cancer, triple neg.

Stay positive, it helps, believe me.
View Quote
Prayers for all of you!
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Praying for you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been on the chemo/radiation circus ride for two years now. different cancers in separate locations. Mine is not skin related, so no creams, docs whittling on me or anything like that, I'm pretty much used to the weight loss, headaches and gut issues these days. Initially I went from 220lbs to 165lbs and could not walk to the car.  I'm back up to 185 and more active these days mainly because my doctor included a dietician in my treatment plan. Natural fats and not much sugar, given as constant snacks with no big meals seems to work best for me.

Be warned, foods will taste funny or even rotten, just move on to something else instead of not eating.  Think if it as just a different kind of medicine you have to take.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
FUCK CANCER

BEAT THAT SHIT BROTHER!!!
View Quote
This right here Best Wishes!
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Prayers for all of you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prayers out for you. My wife has been undergoing chemo since last October. Breast cancer, triple neg.

Stay positive, it helps, believe me.
Prayers for all of you!
Thank you, from both of us.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Prayers out. Good luck. Chemo is rough but it gives so many people YEARS more with their loved ones. I wish you the best.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
To those who have lost loved ones to cancer (as have I) and who are or know someone on chemo fighting for their lives, I sincerely apologize for this post.  I'm just injecting a little humor, and absolutely do not mean to compare my situation to yours.

I had a suspicious mole on my hand and saw a dermatologist last week.  She agreed that it needed to be biopsied, along with another one on my shoulder.  She also found multiple precancerous lesions (actinic keratoses) on my arms and face.  She emptied a bottle of cryo-spray on them, and prescribed a two-week regimen of fluorouracil cream, to be applied twice daily on the affected areas.

I thought the lesions were just a dry skin condition or some other minor dermatological condition.  Nope, they are fairly serious.  I looked up 'flurouracil' and was surprised to find out that it's used as an injectable chemotherapy for quite a few internal cancers, and as a topical treatment for basal cell carcinomas and the precancerous lesions I have.

I actually got her and the equally hot nurse (both of whom I was standing buck naked in front of) to laugh.  After she cut out the suspicious moles she said, "That wasn't so bad, right?"

I said, "Piece of cake, although I doubt the biopsy will come back 'cake.'"

"Fluorouracil (5FU) is a chemotherapy drug used to treat different cancers including breast, bowel, skin, stomach, esophageal (gullet), and pancreatic cancer. ... Like all chemotherapy drugs, 5FU can cause side effects."

Here's a pic of what I can expect as the drug destroys the lesions she burned off.  Yippee....

https://media.self.com/photos/58868b63b5751785117b67ec/1:1/w_950,h_950,c_limit/magsmainimagecorrect.jpg
View Quote
Meh, it’s still an accurate thread title as it is chemo.

Good luck with the treatments and hopefully this is the last time you deal with any skin cancer issues.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP, fluorouracil is commonly called 5-FU by physicians, even those who don't even know any swear words.

5-FU sounds like a drug name that all of ARFcom would appreciate
View Quote
Lol, I’ve always liked the name of the drug.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Prayers brother.
View Quote
Absolutely this.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Best of luck.   I'll keep you in my prayers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ll be damned if cancer takes my favorite ceiling kitty.

Praying for you OP
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Good luck with your treatments.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Fuck Cancer.  My Grandmother was diagnosed with lung cancer just after Christmas...two weeks later her shoulder started hurting, it already entered her bone structure.  She is choosing to not be treated for the cancer, just for the pain.  Can’t even drink her morning coffee or evening brandy anymore .

My prayers are with you OP and you will get through this...you have all of us lovable assholes to rely on
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:24:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Hang in there and keep your chin up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Best of luck, OP

Hang in there
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:17:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Good luck, OP.  Best wishes for a positive outcome.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Not a religious guy but, I am rooting for you
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
To those who have lost loved ones to cancer (as have I) and who are or know someone on chemo fighting for their lives, I sincerely apologize for this post.  I'm just injecting a little humor, and absolutely do not mean to compare my situation to yours.

I had a suspicious mole on my hand and saw a dermatologist last week.  She agreed that it needed to be biopsied, along with another one on my shoulder.  She also found multiple precancerous lesions (actinic keratoses) on my arms and face.  She emptied a bottle of cryo-spray on them, and prescribed a two-week regimen of fluorouracil cream, to be applied twice daily on the affected areas.

I thought the lesions were just a dry skin condition or some other minor dermatological condition.  Nope, they are fairly serious.  I looked up 'flurouracil' and was surprised to find out that it's used as an injectable chemotherapy for quite a few internal cancers, and as a topical treatment for basal cell carcinomas and the precancerous lesions I have.

I actually got her and the equally hot nurse (both of whom I was standing buck naked in front of) to laugh.  After she cut out the suspicious moles she said, "That wasn't so bad, right?"

I said, "Piece of cake, although I doubt the biopsy will come back 'cake.'"

"Fluorouracil (5FU) is a chemotherapy drug used to treat different cancers including breast, bowel, skin, stomach, esophageal (gullet), and pancreatic cancer. ... Like all chemotherapy drugs, 5FU can cause side effects."

Here's a pic of what I can expect as the drug destroys the lesions she burned off.  Yippee....

https://media.self.com/photos/58868b63b5751785117b67ec/1:1/w_950,h_950,c_limit/magsmainimagecorrect.jpg
View Quote
Right there with you, OP. I'm on day 9 or so of the creamy goodness too. I'm on a 28 day run. Plus just got a nice chunk carved out of my left clavicle area, and that's off to the pathologist, so we'll see what happens. You might, or might not get that kind of redness developing. Mine so far is minimal.

I've had shit carved off the top of my ears, back so far...but years back. I guess working outside  as a field archaeologist in the Mojave and Sonoran deserts for years is finally catching up with me...yay.

Have a drink, none of us are gonna last forever. I just hope I get to go on that freaking caribou hunt later this year.

Yep, Fuck Cancer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:27:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Prayers on the way!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:27:54 AM EDT
[#34]
My Dad just finished his first round with this stuff last week.

The bad news?  The last week or so was really rough... He had a very hard time sleeping because of the constant itching and burning.  Any time he moved, his skin would crack and bleed.  It went from “Looks like you had too much sun” to “HOLY FUCK WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO YOU” in about three days.

The good news?  It got better FAST when he stopped.  I think he had to wait 24 or48 hours until after his final treatment to use Vaseline and skin cream on the affected areas, but the relief was rapid and serious.  After his first post-treatment application of Vaseline all kinds of nasty shit sluffed off.

He also had full-up aches and pains, nausea, etc.  I mean... It’s chemo.

So get ready, because it’s gonna suck.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Good luck and God bless
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 12:44:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Go get it done.  We're here to support you through it all.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:00:02 AM EDT
[#37]
One of the most important things you can do is to keep a positive attitude. Told my wife the same thing when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. It seems that your body responds better if you keep that positive attitude.

Meanwhile, I will be keeping you in my prayers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#38]
If you think chemo is hard you just wait for the aftermath of it. Your body will never heal itself from it and the cure is just as bad as the disease. I can say this because I’ve been there done
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:54:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Good luck!

<—- cancer survivor
View Quote
Ditto
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:58:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I wish you a fast recovery.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hoping for the best for you.

Can you describe the lesions you thought were just dry skin?
View Quote
They start out looking like this:

Then get dry and scaly.

Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#42]
I really appreciate all the support.  You guys are the best.  I mean, we go back and forth slinging barbs, but when the rubber meets the road, ARFCOMMERS are, for the most part, the finest people I've never met, and people I'd be proud to stand and fight with.

And I'm grateful that my post has motivated a few of you to get yourselves to a dermatologist.  Right now all the AK lesions I have are precancerous.  Early detection and treatment is always a good thing.  I'm staying hopeful that the two growths the doctor excised come back as cake, and not cancer.    (Pineapple Upside-Down is my favorite, in case you're listening, God...)
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I wish to the very best in getting through all the treatments and beating cancer.    I had cancer too, a different type, but I can relate to what you are going through.  You can beat this: stay positive and maintain an attitude that you will out tough, out do, and out last all that has come your way.

God bless you and help you and protect you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Good luck!

I’ve had about 6 skin cancers removed from my arms and face

I waited too long with one of them and it got down to inside my arm. It could have killed me but I had an amazing team of doctors in Atlanta who saved me.

Chemo sucks but it killed off my tumor and the surgery and radiation were precautions.

Cancer Sucks
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#45]
I just read something about asparagus having cleansing properties and helping to prevent and fight cancer.

Might be something to it, might be BS.
Just passing it on, make your own decision.

I'm not a big fan of asparagus but if there's a chance it makes a difference I'll eat it
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#46]
They cut my melanoma out at least 10 years ago now. It was very small mole (maybe 2mm squared) but he took a hunk out of me the size of a silver dollar. Hopefully I will never have another issue but I get the Dermatologist to go over me every year in case.

Hopefully your issue clears-up even better than mine did.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top