BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, this happened 14 miles downstream from a fairly small damn, so you should be good to go in a johnboat or kayak as others have suggested.

Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Terrifying moment of Brazil dam collapse caught on camera
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hot air balloon, inflated tied off, ready to hop in and float above the raging flood waters.
View Quote
I LIKE THIS IDEA
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#6]
boats won't help in a damn break, tidal wave kind of thing. They would be great to have in a slow flood/rising water situation. Lots of images of people walking flat bottom boats around the streets after Harvey and stuff.

If it's just you I would think a decent kayak (sit on top) or canoe would be fine. A kayak is light and cheap, and you can store it tied to the ceiling of a garage or similar so it's not on the way. Anything else is bigger and more annoying, and may need 2 people.

I would think a more viable solution is some supplies and a powered saw in your attic. at 25 miles away it sounds unlikely that you'll have 3 stories of water hit you fast. so be able to be up there, cut yourself out through the top, get rescued might be a better option?

Not sure. I live in Texsa now and on one of the highest hills in the area, so not super concerned. Both times my house flooded in Florida it was under a foot of water that got it.

Oh you should have sandbags for the doors. If you could fill those quick you should be able to be OK through up to like 2+ feet of water as long as it's not moving fast.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a paramotor. They're cool as hell and you can fly away.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]
boat for an emergency?  Is your Helicopter broke?
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd move if its an option
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Cheapest quick solution is big orange PFDs, not a boat.  If you don't want a boat and don't want to store it and won't use one, but still want a "boat" for an emergency, you can get a surplus self inflating life raft in your price range.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#13]
There's an instructional video called "Evan Almighty" you might want to check out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#14]
This is going to depend on the geography, the amount of water, and the amount of head at the dam.

There would be lots of debris for sure, but debris is drag on the water.  Past Tulsa there isn't a steep embankment so much to keep the river in so I bet it would slow down to the point it would just be "raised 4 feet in an hour" type flooding where a boat would be useful.

You guys saying "u gon git ground up!" are thinking he's on the water's edge and close to the dam.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe a surf board instead
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#16]
LCAC, you can probably put most if not all of your belongings on it and leave.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LCAC, you can probably put most if not all of your belongings on it and leave.
View Quote
He's looking for serious replies here.

What you want, OP, is a LARC.  You can daily drive it when you aren't using it to escape biblical flooding.

Link Posted: 5/23/2019 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd do a 12ft. Jon boat with a 9.9hp in the back and 40lb thrust TM up front. Should get you just about anywhere you need to go in a water's rising situation. Shop around, you can find an older used one in that range.
View Quote
That setup should do well loaded with the family in the 60 foot waves moving at 70 mph.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well, this happened 14 miles downstream from a fairly small damn, so you should be good to go in a johnboat or kayak as others have suggested.

View Quote
OP, fuck abuncha jon boat. See that hill on the left side of the photo. I’d be looking for the closest thing to me that looked like that and figuring out how to get there with a quickness.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP, fuck abuncha jon boat. See that hill on the left side of the photo. I’d be looking for the closest thing to me that looked like that and figuring out how to get there with a quickness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.nationalgeographic.org/assets/photos/000/296/29625.jpg
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.nationalgeographic.org/assets/photos/000/296/29625.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQJAtcq2pPE
I wonder how much shorter that guy was afterwards.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#22]
14?Make for yourself an ark of gopher wood; you shall make the ark with rooms, and shall cover it inside and out with pitch. 15?This is how you shall make it: the length of the ark three hundred cubits, its breadth fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits. 16?You shall make a window for the ark, and finish it to a cubit from the top; and set the door of the ark in the side of it; you shall make it with lower, second, and third decks…
A window shall you make to the ark, and in a cubit shall you finish it above, and the door of the ark shall you set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shall you make it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Check out Walmart
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I originally thought about a canoe, but now I think something wider would be better.

Alumnacraft?

Edit to add-  i am 25 miles down stream of the Keystone Dam on the Arkansas River. My guess is that prior to failure there would be massive releases . And then with the distance I am away, i woukd not expect a tsunami wave....hopefully. I was envisioning waking up to chin deep water.
View Quote
The damn is not at risk,it was worse  back in the 70's than it is now and the water under the I-44 bridge only got
to the edge of Riveside drive.Low lying areas did flood of course but the dam was never in any real danger.If your that worried about it you should be preparing to evacuate.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Your plan sounds like a damn failure.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Can we get long story long and hear what did (or would) help? A tornado shelter? One of those little yellow plastic inflatable life vests? A 9mm round to the CNS?
View Quote
Tornado shelter is going to fill with water.  Your best bet is one of those emergency radios that lets off a loud alarm when an emergency message comes across, combined with a working vehicle and a prepared plan to get to high ground.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#27]
We have a member whos neighbor is a helicopter pilot. Maybe he can pick you up in your time of need.
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I know one thing. We dont need any dam inspectors. You live below one, your ass needs to be up there checking for cracks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/23/2019 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

He's looking for serious replies here.

What you want, OP, is a LARC.  You can daily drive it when you aren't using it to escape biblical flooding.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e4/An_Army_LARC_60_amphibious_landing_craft.JPEG
View Quote
That would work but I still say an LCAC would be better.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 1:50:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Since when is the Keystone dam at risk? Yeah they are releasing a ton of water but that is to be expected at this point.

I have my bug out bags ready if need be, I would load up as and unass the area to higher ground before I tried anything with a boat. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:00:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Since when is the Keystone dam at risk? Yeah they are releasing a ton of water but that is to be expected at this point.

I have my bug out bags ready if need be, I would load up as and unass the area to higher ground before I tried anything with a boat. But that's just me.
View Quote
The US Army Corps of Engineers called it “Very High Risk” as recently as 2011.

A guy i know that lives on the lake said it was bowing outwards by about 7 inches. He seemd like he knew what he was talking about.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The damn is not at risk,it was worse  back in the 70's than it is now and the water under the I-44 bridge only got
to the edge of Riveside drive.Low lying areas did flood of course but the dam was never in any real danger.If your that worried about it you should be preparing to evacuate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I originally thought about a canoe, but now I think something wider would be better.

Alumnacraft?

Edit to add-  i am 25 miles down stream of the Keystone Dam on the Arkansas River. My guess is that prior to failure there would be massive releases . And then with the distance I am away, i woukd not expect a tsunami wave....hopefully. I was envisioning waking up to chin deep water.
A Tulsa World article from 2011 quoted the US Army Corps of Engineers as calling it Very High Risk.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:34:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Not entirely joking. Plus, it could make for a fun hobby in the interim.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:59:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

A Tulsa World article from 2011 quoted the US Army Corps of Engineers as calling it Very High Risk.
View Quote
Hmmm well that could very well be bad news indeed! I may have to rethink a few things regarding plans and valuables and whatnot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 3:02:23 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
Came to post this
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 3:08:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Flood insurance, take a million photos of everything around your house and in your house and save them to some cloud system like Dropbox, Amazon Prime free photos storage, etc. and GET THE HELL OUT EARLY!
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:20:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alumnacraft?

You need to go back and do some reading. It’s labeled a high hazard or extreme hazard, not because of it being weak but because if it were to fail there would be catastrophic damage.  Damn condition is irrelevant.  There are numerous articles about inspections of keystone after floods and earthquakes and not once is there a mention that the damn is in trouble.  Put your tin foil hat away
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#39]
A quickly inflating hot air balloon. You don't want to ride it out, you want to get above it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Even if you had time to make it into your boat, the raging flood waters would capsize you and you’d be crushed in a debris jam.

Move in across the street from a nuke plant instead.

Edit: Damnit, beat by 12 seconds!
View Quote
Reminds me of one float trip we took, water was "up" but not "bad." In rented jon boats.

Got swept against a tree snag, we tried to push off but no, three guys in a 10 footer, so the back end immediately started swamping. I stepped out and climbed over the tree (which in retrospect likely made things worse as I was in the front.)

Down it went.

Our buddies knew something had happened when they saw their gear floating by that we had borrowed. So, they paddled around picking it up, then came back upstream against the current to see us half soaked carrying what we had bailed with.

We were "fully armed" and didn't lose a round. Some soft goods went missing. They recovered the jon boat and we continued, albeit rearranged the load with the heavy guy in the middle, me at the back and the experienced paddler up front. It was moot, tho, we'd already passed the worst of it.

I don't see a broken dam as anything but exponentially worse, flipping and leaving people tumbling in the waterborne debris getting ground up. Which is exactly what we see in third world countries. They search with dogs, drag your corpse out and mass bury it. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=torrential+floods&t=ffnt&iax=videos&ia=videos

This is exactly why they were warning everyone in Webbers Falls, OK if the drifting barges hit the dam and caused it to collapse. They have hit the I40 bridge before, with traffic on it, no warning was given. This time traffic was shut down for hours until they found the barges.

Your best remedy is high ground. Even then you can get flooding, my house on top of a hill is getting ground water in the basement. I'm a good 25 feet higher than the creek behind me. Not good enough. 4" rains and the water running off the plain to the east is trickling in.

If you are living in a ravine, gully, or valley, think about what caused it to be there. It was created by flash flooding and that's what carved it out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You need to go back and do some reading. It’s labeled a high hazard or extreme hazard, not because of it being weak but because if it were to fail there would be catastrophic damage.  Damn condition is irrelevant.  There are numerous articles about inspections of keystone after floods and earthquakes and not once is there a mention that the damn is in trouble.  Put your tin foil hat away
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alumnacraft?

Maybe you should read the article because I literally copied “very high risk” from the article.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
25 miles? I'd say get a jon boat and call it good. May help, may not. Depends on the topography between you and it.
View Quote
I am looking at a satellite photo of the river below the dam. It's nothing like Mt. St. Helens. He might live.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Maybe you should read the article because I literally copied “very high risk” from the article. Also, there were a lot of qualifiers regarding its safety. And their are other sources. But you are the expert. Please feel free to post any useful information regarding its A+ status.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alumnacraft?

Maybe you should read the article because I literally copied “very high risk” from the article. Also, there were a lot of qualifiers regarding its safety. And their are other sources. But you are the expert. Please feel free to post any useful information regarding its A+ status.
‘17ers gonna 17.  No links to any story, nothing comes up on searches.  And the guy that lives on the lake?  It’s an army Corp lake not grand river dam lake.  He doesn’t live on it.  Show some links kid
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We have a member whos neighbor is a helicopter pilot. Maybe he can pick you up in your time of need.
View Quote
Is that the neighbor who destroyed his brand new helicopter while trying to hover in the back yard?  If so, he might want to call someone else...
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 12:24:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The US Army Corps of Engineers called it “Very High Risk” as recently as 2011.

A guy i know that lives on the lake said it was bowing outwards by about 7 inches. He seemd like he knew what he was talking about.
View Quote
They've been sayig that since the 70's,no problems yet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I’m thinking something more like this

EDIT: beat

Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Are you kidding me? I live here, there are absolutely lake front homes as well as neighborhoods that are very close by. Those people are probably very in the know on dam stuff.

Also, you must be retarded if you cant perform a basic internet search that took me 10 seconds. Do your own research. I came here for advice about boats in the event of flooding.
View Quote
How long have you lived there?
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You will not safely float out of a broken dam situation.   It ain't like you think.  But something light and narrow might not be a bad idea.
View Quote
There will be a lot of debris in that water.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top