BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I went on JRA's site recently, I didn't see receivers available.  Where are they available for sale?
View Quote

When I contacted a month or so ago, they stated that the receivers had been taken down until the fill the pre-orders.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
So since I missed my window on the "beater" folding stocks, any word on current sources or if they will come back in stock?
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Add me to the list of folks late to this party-- I have one of the CenterFire kits on the way "missing three parts" which is actually five parts, all but one available from Standard Parts-- CenterFire's kits are apparently ITAL kits, but not marked so, and it's an ITAL I've been craving since I first saw one in "Small Arms of the World" decades ago. I have an M14-type built on a James River receiver and have no qualms about their quality-- the problem now is an ITAL barrel. SARCO is out and might not reorder, and Shuff says he can do it for $200 "but only with the receiver work," so $700-- it might come to that, but I'm not done looking yet, and I keep hearing that more kits are on their way, so maybe SARCO will get some more in. Please Almighty God let there be some more folding stocks in the batch--
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Add me to the list of folks late to this party-- I have one of the CenterFire kits on the way "missing three parts" which is actually five parts, all but one available from Standard Parts-- CenterFire's kits are apparently ITAL kits, but not marked so, and it's an ITAL I've been craving since I first saw one in "Small Arms of the World" decades ago. I have an M14-type built on a James River receiver and have no qualms about their quality-- the problem now is an ITAL barrel. SARCO is out and might not reorder, and Shuff says he can do it for $200 "but only with the receiver work," so $700-- it might come to that, but I'm not done looking yet, and I keep hearing that more kits are on their way, so maybe SARCO will get some more in. Please Almighty God let there be some more folding stocks in the batch--
View Quote

You're spending enough on this already, spending a little bit more to get one built on a Garand receiver modified by Shufflin is worth it, imo.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got the shipping notice from JRA for the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your probably not out anything but time to wait for Sarco.  If enough inquiries come their way I'm sure they will make some.

Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought they were backordered and taking orders by phone
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tim Shufflin builds superb rifles. I sent him a sad-looking Rack Grade M1 Garand for his "CMP Special" - he reparked the entire rifle, did a trigger job, recrowned the muzzle, and shipped it back to me for $178. I installed it in a USGI stock set I had on-hand, and here's how it looks now:

I plan on having him build me a BM59 soon.
View Quote

My experience sending a Garand to Shuff's for his mini-G conversion was 100% positive. The final product looks great, works 100% and handles great.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My experience sending a Garand to Shuff's for his mini-G conversion was 100% positive. The final product looks great, works 100% and handles great.
View Quote

+1 on my BM59 build.

Shuff's does fantastic work
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a kit.  Still in search of a receiver... Tag again for interest since my membership lapsed by a day.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Are the BM mags more then likely preban?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:36:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are the BM mags more then likely preban?
View Quote

What's considered a preban in MA?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What's considered a preban in MA?
View Quote

Same as the Federal AWB; September 13, 1994
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I guarantee most if not all BM59 mags are pre-94.

I got several new in the wrap latest were dated 1984 - date on the wrapper.  I don't think they are marked on the mags however.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

+1 on my BM59 build.
http://i.imgur.com/UbJJaun.jpg

Shuff's does fantastic work
View Quote

Yes - He does - Great rifle you got there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I need to figure out a way to block the mags to 10-rounders by July.  I'd prefer to avoid anything that involves cutting or drilling of the magazine parts.

It'd be nice if 10-rounders were available.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if more BM-59s (including the BM62 and BM69) exist in the U.S. than factory 10-round magazines.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the BM-59 falls victim to CA's gun banners within the next 2-4 years in any configuration.

For now, I'm trying to figure out how I want to configure this thing.  I'm liking the copy of the E model compensator for standard BM-59s that Standard Parts sells.  I'm thinking right now that I could do a BM-62 gas cylinder (assuming I can find one or the Standard Parts copy that they used to make) with the E-compensator and have a Garand bayonet lug attached to the bottom of the gas tube so that I could use the BM-59E bayonet (I'd like to maintain the ability to attach a bayonet).  If the tube is the SP copy or a BM-69 type, I would probably not be able to use the bipod given how far back the lug would probably have to go.

The other thing I was thinking about was using a 5" tricompensator and cutting off the flash suppressor, and perhaps, if necessary, moving the bayonet lug a bit to the rear so that it is on the gas tube instead of the tricompensator (if the tube is configured for the bipod, it would be usable in such a case), or finding one that had already been so modified (I've seen rifles modified like this, although the bayonet lug was usually removed outright).  I don't think I would be able to find the Indonesian sporter version, which I think is designed to be ban compliant.

Of course, finding the gas tubes without the spindle valve for grenade launching and the 5-inch tricompensators is proving difficult.

I think I'm going to try to also get a second, much nicer parts kit for a nicer built and on that one try to find and use the Para tricompensator and just leave it off while in CA, and also get a folder for that one for use out of CA.  I'd go out of my way for a Beretta receiver for such a thing.  For the build on my current kit, I think that I'm going to just get any USGI receiver that I can get at a decent price once I have the funds.  Sounds like JRA may no longer offer receivers a la carte.  I'd consider trying one out to save money on the not-so-nice build.  Kinda wish I had the funds when they were doing the preorders.  Then again, who knows what the quality is on those; it may have proven to be a regrettable purchase.

Another thing I'm trying to find are a couple of the Golden State style charger guides (they use a pin instead of a dovetail to attach to the receiver).  Standard Parts had some for sale, but they were gone by the time I found out about them. Other people have talked about having them made but eventually you never hear from them again about it (a few people have had them individually made).  If the hi-cap mag ban screws me so that I only have one or two magazines, that feature would assume a lot of importance if maintaining a BM-59 as a practical rifle is desired (and I do desire that).  Even in the Italian Army, they often had to load with chargers for want of sufficient magazines.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I need to figure out a way to block the mags to 10-rounders by July.  I'd prefer to avoid anything that involves cutting or drilling of the magazine parts.

It'd be nice if 10-rounders were available.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if more BM-59s (including the BM62 and BM69) exist in the U.S. than factory 10-round magazines.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the BM-59 falls victim to CA's gun banners within the next 2-4 years in any configuration.

For now, I'm trying to figure out how I want to configure this thing.  I'm liking the copy of the E model compensator for standard BM-59s that Standard Parts sells.  I'm thinking right now that I could do a BM-62 gas cylinder (assuming I can find one or the Standard Parts copy that they used to make) with the E-compensator and have a Garand bayonet lug attached to the bottom of the gas tube so that I could use the BM-59E bayonet (I'd like to maintain the ability to attach a bayonet).  If the tube is the SP copy or a BM-69 type, I would probably not be able to use the bipod given how far back the lug would probably have to go.

The other thing I was thinking about was using a 5" tricompensator and cutting off the flash suppressor, and perhaps, if necessary, moving the bayonet lug a bit to the rear so that it is on the gas tube instead of the tricompensator (if the tube is configured for the bipod, it would be usable in such a case), or finding one that had already been so modified (I've seen rifles modified like this, although the bayonet lug was usually removed outright).  I don't think I would be able to find the Indonesian sporter version, which I think is designed to be ban compliant.

Of course, finding the gas tubes without the spindle valve for grenade launching and the 5-inch tricompensators is proving difficult.

I think I'm going to try to also get a second, much nicer parts kit for a nicer built and on that one try to find and use the Para tricompensator and just leave it off while in CA, and also get a folder for that one for use out of CA.  I'd go out of my way for a Beretta receiver for such a thing.  For the build on my current kit, I think that I'm going to just get any USGI receiver that I can get at a decent price once I have the funds.  Sounds like JRA may no longer offer receivers a la carte.  I'd consider trying one out to save money on the not-so-nice build.  Kinda wish I had the funds when they were doing the preorders.  Then again, who knows what the quality is on those; it may have proven to be a regrettable purchase.

Another thing I'm trying to find are a couple of the Golden State style charger guides (they use a pin instead of a dovetail to attach to the receiver).  Standard Parts had some for sale, but they were gone by the time I found out about them. Other people have talked about having them made but eventually you never hear from them again about it (a few people have had them individually made).  If the hi-cap mag ban screws me so that I only have one or two magazines, that feature would assume a lot of importance if maintaining a BM-59 as a practical rifle is desired (and I do desire that).  Even in the Italian Army, they often had to load with chargers for want of sufficient magazines.
View Quote

I would agree with using a Para Compensator - but if you have the rifle length barrel note the barrel itself will be longer and extend into the insde of the para comp.
You could just get the Std parts plain gas block lock and a separate normal comp - manually switch over when you need to with an allen head tool.

There is a company that makes m14 mag blocks - to make them 10 round compliant, do a google search.  They might work - although m14 is not as long front to back as BM59
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 7:49:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would agree with using a Para Compensator - but if you have the rifle length barrel note the barrel itself will be longer and extend into the insde of the para comp.
You could just get the Std parts plain gas block lock and a separate normal comp - manually switch over when you need to with an allen head tool.

There is a company that makes m14 mag blocks - to make them 10 round compliant, do a google search.  They might work - although m14 is not as long front to back as BM59
View Quote

For the second build, the barrel can be shortened to Para length (it should be noted that the Para tricomp is around the same length as the standard one, if not a bit longer).

I doubt M-14 blocks are compatible.  They need to attach the same way and the vertical dimensions need to be close enough.  BM-59 magazines are longer than M-14 ones.
Page / 13
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top