[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will feed whoever is hungry.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife might think I'm being a bit paranoid but we went out and bought a 6 ft tall upright freezer for the garage and we already have a chest freezer downstairs. I told her I don't care how much money you spend but I want both freezers stocked up. We also stocked up on a bunch of canned food, pastas, Mountain house, Etc

We bought a half cow from a local butcher and a lot of turkey thighs that went into the freezer. If things fell apart we would be okay for a while because we have a well that we can pull water from and we have plenty of food, backup generator, fuel, propane

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#3]
if its true shtf, with little to no chance of resupply..Im afraid I'm going to default to triage..my family being the one and only priority:
"never feed anyone you wouldn't want to arm. Never arm anyone you may have to kill"

Real starvation has lead people to do truly horrifying things, our plan is to take on the appearance of everyone else, while keeping our years worth of preps, very very close to the vest. They have had just as much time, effort & money as we have had to plan ahead instead of buying that new I-phone or bigger house...
You feed 1 today, tomorrow there will be 15 more at the door, and at some point they could easily overpower you for what ever is left.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I might share with that handsome broad that banged 700 dudes..
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Every time this topic comes up I tell this story
My BIL has @bsolutly no real food in his pantry. Chips, snack cakes, candy bars , crackers.

His wife shops every night on the way home from work for the meal for the evening.they keep no leftovers
5-6 years ago we had a 100 year storm that dumped 20-24 inches of snow, power went out ,roads were impassable.nothing was moving
They were cut off for 3 days before someone ( Me) got to them on a snowmobile.
2 adults 3 teenage boys. Their 3rd day meal ( the only meal) was a box of instant mashed potatoes, a small can of bushes baked beans and cold cereal with water. (Milk was long gone) for dessert , a can of pumpkin pie filler .

I would think this would be a huge wake up call but ,no it wasn’t.  
When covid hit , he was calling my wife looking for  toilet paper , for canned  goods. For anything.
I was really amazed listening to my wife tell him that “we can give you a couple of rolls but we don’t have much ourselves “ with her knowing we had enough
I won’t let them starve or go without because they are family ,but I won’t reward irresponsibility

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Nancy Pelosi shows up with an ice cream spoon and an appetite.....................
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One big problem is the smell of cooking food.
Around here I can tell what the neighbors are cooking just by the smell, imagine what happens when your heating something up while those around you are hungry.
View Quote

That's why initially everything is canned or in pouches and I don't think even later on I'd be doing barbecues out on the back porch!
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife and my 4 kids, and my elderly parents are it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
what food?
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nancy Pelosi shows up with an ice cream spoon and an appetite.....................
View Quote

Maybe after a couple months of starving and dropping some weight, those floppy funbags would be worth a couple cans of sliced peaches.

No, not really.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Unless they like lead sandwiches, gtfo!
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep.  

Pretty much in my case in a SHTF situation I'd try to organize the
complex I live in.  If it came down to it I'd share with them as
we cross leveled supplies.

As far as just wandering around giving people stuff?  No.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Immediate family. Possibly my best friend and his wife.....but she'd want to bring in her parents, and that makes it a bit more dicey. So maybe just immediate family.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Immediate family. Possibly my best friend and his wife.....but she'd want to bring in her parents, and that makes it a bit more dicey. So maybe just immediate family.
View Quote

You can't shut people up and they WILL blab and take it upon themselves to offer to share YOUR food.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#15]
If they're hungry, you had better look hungry.

If they're dirty and smelly, you had better be dirty and smelly.

If you look clean, comfortable and well fed, they will find out why.

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And if so, exactly how far would you go? Immediate family? Extended family? Close friends? At what point would you, if you were inclined to hand some out, call it quits? And if you do, what happens when you do decide to stop and people who now expect handouts are told no. At the very least they will hate you forever more for their lack of preparedness and your ''stinginess.''

Have you ever given it SERIOUS thought?
View Quote

no
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#17]
No.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hear “I’m coming to your house when the SHTF” constantly.

I tell them don’t bother.

They have the same opportunity to prepare that I do.  

NOW, in real life, if I see a family starving?  Yes, I’d be sharing at some level.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Growing up on a ranch I knew we would always have food no matter how bad it got elsewhere. These days I live near a major city and food will run out quickly in the event of a major disaster. If that were to happen I would be focused first and foremost on the well being of my children. If they were adequately fed I would have no issue sharing my own provisions with other CHILDREN or those legitimately unable to fend for themselves such as the physically disabled or elderly. Able bodied adults could pound sand. I can go hungry for a long time before I’m at legitimate risk of death or of being unable to keep watch over my loved ones but I won’t watch them starve.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I dunno, is she sleeping with me on the reg?

If no, then no.

My ex wife lives on a working farm.  My older daughter has preps and lives 1800+ miles away.

I'm not sharing shit with anyone that I don't get something in return from.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:22:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll help people in the "after times" as much as they helped me before shit went bad.

It's just that simple. Did you tell me you were coming to my place when SHTF for years and never so much as helped me hammer a nail? I've got nothing for ya.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 5:33:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hear “I’m coming to your house when the SHTF” constantly.

I tell them don’t bother.

They have the same opportunity to prepare that I do.  

NOW, in real life, if I see a family starving?  Yes, I’d be sharing at some level.
View Quote

Same. Usual response is you can bring something to the table or be the meal.

Mostly its coworkers that say they’re coming to my place. I’d help maybe 1-2 of them (of hundreds). Family and neighbors, of course I’d help them. Yes people can be prepared for contingencies. Many don’t. I do. It is what it is.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Around here I can tell what the neighbors are cooking just by the smell, imagine what happens when your heating something up while those around you are hungry.
View Quote

@Gunslinger808

That’s an interesting and important point.  You should definitely be able to cook things that have little smell and be able to do so indoors.  I love Indian cooking and make it a lot but adding all those herbs and spices can get some unwanted attention!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 9:56:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's why initially everything is canned or in pouches and I don't think even later on I'd be doing barbecues out on the back porch!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smart!  Canned foods are tastier when warmed but not bad even cold!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I would use my food as a weapon. At any given time I have literally hundreds of tons of grain. You want some of it? Convince me to give it up. Your argument better be very persuasive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#27]
FPNI.

Second post will shortly be hungry with the rest of them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I might feed family or a few close friends, but no one else.  This would be a classic case of the Lifeboat quandary.  Try to save everyone the lifeboat sinks, and everyone dies.  Save only a few and row away.  Many die but you and a few select others live.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yep.  

Pretty much in my case in a SHTF situation I'd try to organize the
complex I live in.  If it came down to it I'd share with them as
we cross leveled supplies.

As far as just wandering around giving people stuff?  No.
View Quote

What happens when Sally in 4A starts handing out food?  Shoot her?  Give her a beat down and tell her to not do it again?  What happens when the people she fed tell other people and you have 100 people bigging for food with 20 of them women holding small babies?  Sorry I am not starting down that road.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#30]
What I have is for my family under my roof. However, there is a couple close friends(more like family to me) that if needed I'd help out any way I could, though they won't likely need it, and if they did need it they would be bringing skills I don't have with them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:35:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Oh hell no.  I have enough for me.  Everybody has had the same time and opportunity to prep as I have.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll share and I'll also try to trade things/food items with others around me...

...like all of humanity has been doing for thousands of years
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Family
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I will feed whoever is hungry.
View Quote

This. At least when it comes to family. In any environment I’m a survivor and would provide for those that matter to me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

@Gunslinger808

That’s an interesting and important point.  You should definitely be able to cook things that have little smell and be able to do so indoors.  I love Indian cooking and make it a lot but adding all those herbs and spices can get some unwanted attention!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Gunslinger808

That actually gives me an idea - "food" as misdirection. Take expired items or inedible leftovers and set a cooking fire to lead people somewhere you want them to go. Let them walk past your unattractive and "empty" home and be disappointed by the nothing that their nose leads them to six blocks away. If you have the ability, maybe either observe from a distance or set up a trail cam to discreetly get some info on demographics and disposition of the people who show up.

Also makes me wonder if you could take active measures to control smoke and smell from a cooking device though. Maybe a smokeless wood oven (forget the term but I've seen them) with some activated charcoal or something in the flue to trap odors.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Very close family and the best of friends.  Maybe my one neighbor.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Maybe those coming to beg for food ARE my stash
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#38]
At that point, law and order will go out the window.  I’m not letting anyone near my home let alone feed them.  They’ll take my food right before they shoot me in the back.  Even if they have something to offer, I’m not trusting anyone.  I’ll be sneaking into the woods at night to harvest whatever meat and/or firewood I can so my family stays nourished and warm, then straight back home to keep a lookout for trespassers.  Verbal warning from 2nd story windows, then I’m shooting if they come closer.  If it goes the way I’m imagining it, at least the dogs and coyotes will be eating well!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#39]
The same people that will be begging for food are the same people who buy a new wide screen tv or car every year instead of life insurance, then when a loved one dies they start a gofundme, expecting everyone to help. We all have choices they just made stupid ones. Screw'em all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#40]
You know, thinking about this, withholding your stash only really works in rural areas.  In suburban areas, this might be problematical with everyone living asshole to bellybutton.  It's probably better to get with your entire neighborhood for mutual protection and sharing of all goods.  Anyone not participating gets nothing and maybe kicked out?
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I will feed on whoever is hungry.
View Quote

You're a good, decent human being.  You'll be the first to go.

Sweet Jeebus, RIF!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#42]
it's only a matter of time before you
would eat your own ..

Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes, I will help. You won't get prime rib. You will get cans of....

fresh veggies and other stuff for them to make soup.

Goods to make spaghetti, ....canned sauce and noodles

If one is truly hungry, the above is kings food.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#44]
If you're one of the "I will do what I can" types, just remember... whoever you help will be back with friends to take whatever you didn't give them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’ve told begging, pregnant lepers in India to fuck-off so I’ll have no problem letting the useless, helpless idiots whom voted for Biden to starve.I would sooner throw food away than feed a Biden voter.
View Quote

Considering a lot of them would gladly load us on a train to be exterminated, I'm right there with ya.

Hell the list of family I've told to fuck off grew by 3 a couple of weeks ago. No way in hell I'm going to feed that whore.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you don't love your family enough to prepare for them incase of bad times, why the fuck do you expect me to love them enough to care for them.
View Quote

I'm stealing this!
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Cool neighbor who helps pitch in when a tree drops on a boundary fence and we split the cleanup/repair cost 50/50 will get fed.

HOA Karen down the street who bitches because my door is painted the wrong shade of blue ain't getting shit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And if so, exactly how far would you go? Immediate family? Extended family? Close friends? At what point would you, if you were inclined to hand some out, call it quits? And if you do, what happens when you do decide to stop and people who now expect handouts are told no. At the very least they will hate you forever more for their lack of preparedness and your ''stinginess.''

Have you ever given it SERIOUS thought?
View Quote

I give it serious thought every day. My analyses is that I better act like I'm starving, cause it is gonna get ugly for me.

Now, I have no problem sharing a bit to a degree, in fact I plan for it, but it is something that stresses me out. If they know you have food you can't exactly get away with not sharing. Unless you plan on becoming a mass murderer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:20:54 PM EDT
[#49]
The town I currently live in would look like a war zone within 3 weeks if the shelves stayed empty.
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Family only at first.  Then maybe barter for items.  I don’t have any close friends.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top